PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Free-to-Play Gaming Coming to Xbox Live

Mr Bungle
04-09-2011, 01:54 AM
From IGN.com

Sometime next year, Microsoft will make available free-to-play (F2P) games through Xbox Live, a trusted source told IGN. This will allow publishers and developers to release games through the service for free where users can then purchase additional content, such as weapons, experience, in-game currency, and perks.

The F2P business model is traditionally used for massively multiplayer online games on PC, such as Vindictus and Dungeon Fighter Online from Nexon and League of Legends by Riot Games. Electronic Arts also began experimenting with a F2P model for shooters, including Battlefield Heroes in 2009 and more recently with Battlefield Play4Free, which is currently in open beta.

Joy Ride for Kinect was originally pegged as a F2P game for Xbox Live Gold and Free members when it was first unveiled at E3 2009. Game modes and environments were planned to be free. Customization options were going to cost Microsoft Points, however.

Pootcrum
04-09-2011, 02:00 AM
I don't really know what to think of this news.

Foxxy kyle
04-09-2011, 02:19 AM
So we wont have to pay for xbox live?

Pootcrum
04-09-2011, 02:25 AM

No from what I understand it is about the games. You don't pay for the game nor do you pay to play the game, but you have to pay for expansions to the game, such as weapons, vehicles, maps etc.

Chaosx721
04-09-2011, 02:34 AM
You'll still have to pay for xbox live. This is for games where its income comes from stuff the people buy. So for example they release CoD for free but you have to pay for CoD points, and pay for more weapons and ingame items and perks. Kind of games like that.

Worhammer
04-09-2011, 02:44 AM
They'd better not have MMORPGs with tons of achievements or I'm screwed o_o

Pootcrum
04-09-2011, 02:50 AM
They'd better not have MMORPGs with tons of achievements or I'm screwed o_o

Enjoy your MMORPGs do you? I luckily never got myself involved in any of them. My only weakness when it comes that scale of time vampire is Diablo.

This however is exactly what it sounds like they are planning. How safe a bet is it that there is a CoD MMO and Halo MMO in the works?

Worhammer
04-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Enjoy your MMORPGs do you? I luckily never got myself involved in any of them. My only weakness when it comes that scale of time vampire is Diablo.

This however is exactly what it sounds like they are planning. How safe a bet is it that there is a CoD MMO and Halo MMO in the works?
I wasted 3 years of my life (and came very close to flunking out of high school) because of EverCrack.... ;_;

Nooo I say. NOOOO!!!!

It's ok. I'm older now, and all I have to do when I'm tempted (which is any time there's a WoW commercial, or my friends talk about it...) is think back to those dark, dark days......

Foxxy kyle
04-09-2011, 03:00 AM
You'll still have to pay for xbox live. This is for games where its income comes from stuff the people buy. So for example they release CoD for free but you have to pay for CoD points, and pay for more weapons and ingame items and perks. Kind of games like that.

Eww that sounds like a terrible idea. I like it how it is now!

InfamousVuk
04-09-2011, 03:12 AM
If they want to bring MMOS into xbox, they should better get Monster Hunter 4 instead of experimenting with stuff they are not sure will be ever released.

@Worthammer: only 3 years? you are lucky my friend, I'm at the count of 10 years and still counting....

crazy W01f 816
04-09-2011, 03:18 AM
Ehhh. Not really interested in these free-2-play games. Never played a singe one I liked or that was worth it. Besides most of them don't even let you have an enjoyable experience unless you pay for the additional content. I mean they can at least try to get you hooked first.

Muhnamana
04-09-2011, 03:18 AM
Hmmm, I have mixed emotions if this is true. I just don't know what to think.

Chaosx721
04-09-2011, 03:33 AM
Eww that sounds like a terrible idea. I like it how it is now!
Well I was just using CoD as an example, they probably wont make CoD free. Its just so if someone wanted to make a game for free and only charge for DLC, they can.

Pretty much this is likely to bring games like Farmville, MMOs, and games like that to console. I don't know how I feel about this or rather if its going to even be a hit for xbox.

zeozelos
04-09-2011, 05:05 AM
sounds like an intresting idea aslong as you dont need to always but points to play the game for more than like 10 minuts a daylike facebook games

ZackNovak
04-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Not a fan of the "Ville" games but an MMO would be nice

VladimirK
04-09-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm not really interested in that, from what I've seen, most of these 'free-to-play but where you buy additional content' games are shit.

Funny timing, though.
PS3 just got Free Realms, a free-to-play MMO. (Officially not yet outside America but you can just make a US PSN account and get it.)

InfamousVuk
04-09-2011, 02:31 PM
All of the free to play games can be translated into one simple sentence.

"Free to play, Pay to win"

Personally I would rather pay to play.

TakahashiDemon
04-09-2011, 02:35 PM
If Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE comes with this, I'll use it, if a pile of random games, then I'll rather forget about it.

KeepEmRolling
04-09-2011, 03:15 PM
All of the free to play games can be translated into one simple sentence.

"Free to play, Pay to win"

Personally I would rather pay to play.

Yeah, pretty much true, and I feel the same. One of the first things I thought of was the aforementioned Dragon Age game on Facebook. If games are handled like that I won't touch them.

On the other hand, if it's a really good MMO, I'm gonna have to really restrain myself.

guillermo316
04-09-2011, 03:18 PM
i bet farmvile will jump in this train...

MrFresh
04-09-2011, 03:36 PM
"Game Room" is somewhat play for Free (50 cent really). Tricking everyone...

Venomized
04-09-2011, 06:59 PM
No from what I understand it is about the games. You don't pay for the game nor do you pay to play the game, but you have to pay for expansions to the game, such as weapons, vehicles, maps etc.

Well that is just stupid.

Hey a free shooter game!

*Download*

Yes time to play!

*Joins a multiplayer game*

Where the fack is my gun? How am I suppose to kill?

*Message pops up: You many only stare angrily at your enemies and wish for them to die...until you buy weapons with REAL money*

l.maciver
04-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Game Room sounds abit more of an example, we got the arcade room for free then pay mabye over a retail game price to 1000 it.

buy weapons? if you cant beat someone with what you giving then waste cash for something better you not guaranteed you'll win, in-game currenty? The Godfather did that and you could only do it once, same with expericance. Perks? all depends what they are and are they worth it really.

the way i still see it is if you need to buy extra content to beat a game fully then its going down the fable 2 road to problems.

GrindPantera95
04-10-2011, 05:35 AM
Oh man, I really hope that this comes true!

I love Dungeon Fighter Online and Vindictus, the latter of which my PC has a bit of trouble with, and I'd love to get all my friends to join me in playing them from a console!

Phatman
04-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I really like this idea, wanted a good mmo for 360 for a long time :)

DaChiefOfOwnage
04-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Farmville.

TAI JASON
04-11-2011, 10:18 AM
At the end of the day we must pay for it. If we not pay, we must see endless comercials...itīs MS folks! ;D

Worhammer
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
If they want to bring MMOS into xbox, they should better get Monster Hunter 4 instead of experimenting with stuff they are not sure will be ever released.

@Worthammer: only 3 years? you are lucky my friend, I'm at the count of 10 years and still counting....
3 years time played in EQ alone, not concurrent characters or bazaar mules. That was counting only my mains. All told, I played EQ from very late beta in 98 until WoW beta, then played WoW beta (just before that stress test where you could win an acct. for having one of the 40 highest leveled characters....I had the 18th highest, so I could get my GF an acct.) then kicked it in May '06....so that's about 8 years.

I'm just glad that WoW wasn't brought to the 360. I'd be totally screwed.

Chipsonfire
04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Greeeaat. Facebook apps on the xbox. Like we need more of that garbage.

Elit3 m0nkey
04-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Facebook and iPhone games come to mind when I think of this. If this is what the games are going to be like than forget it.

However if the games end up like Champions Online or Lord of the Rings Online, where I can play the game perfectly fine without paying for anything, than I would easily be fine with this

PS: Can you include the link OP?

danowat32
04-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Zynga have already stated that the XBL platform is too "limited" for its games, I reckon MS have already approached them about it.

So that rules out the "Villes"

ExtremeRugburn
04-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I wasted 3 years of my life (and came very close to flunking out of high school) because of EverCrack.... ;_;

Nooo I say. NOOOO!!!!

It's ok. I'm older now, and all I have to do when I'm tempted (which is any time there's a WoW commercial, or my friends talk about it...) is think back to those dark, dark days......

I can relate completely except that instead of three years, it was five, and instead of high school it was college and my marriage.

F2P means getting your ass kicked by everyone unless you pay out your nose for additional items. I would also assume that you do not have to subscribe to xbox gold in order to play, because if you do then it isnt free.

Worhammer
04-12-2011, 04:35 AM
Facebook and iPhone games come to mind when I think of this. If this is what the games are going to be like than forget it.

However if the games end up like Champions Online or Lord of the Rings Online, where I can play the game perfectly fine without paying for anything, than I would easily be fine with this

PS: Can you include the link OP?
I'd guess it's probably closer to Runescape or similar F2P MMOs.

Didi Mau
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Joy Ride was going to have 200g attached to it, am I remembering that right? It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these F2P titles slip in a Game Room style achievement right at the beginning and then release a bunch of DLC achievements to "motivate" us :p

Unless something like 1 vs 100 comes out of this (without prizes, the game doesn't need real life rewards for it to be awesome), I don't think I'll be that interested. It doesn't sound like a terrible idea, I just don't enjoy playing online for the most part.

Gackt
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
I'd guess it's probably closer to Runescape or similar F2P MMOs.

Only problem with F2P MMO's is they suck. You get what you pay for and pay to play MMO's are ALWAYS infinitely better. Of course now that I discovered MMO's a little over a year ago I can't stop playing them for way to many hours a day lol. Though I could not be happier with my EVE Online addiction : )

Worhammer
04-12-2011, 03:10 PM
I thought Runescape was pretty decent, but like you said "You get what you pay for" - and for free, I enjoyed it. Didn't keep my interest nearly as long as WoW or EQ, tho.

akujin
04-12-2011, 06:42 PM

You could be on to something there. I read a rumour before that game developers were looking into the same type of thing. Only difference being was charging a minimal fee for a disc and then giving the consumers the option of downloading the extra maps or levels and what not.

JAW LV
04-12-2011, 07:26 PM
This entire concept does not please me ATM, but I do know someone who is:

http://cache.bordom.net/server/?type=image&size=full&id=aHR0cDovL2kxNS5waG90b2J1Y2tldC5jb20vYWxidW1zL2E zOTcvaW1wcmV6aXYyNS90aGlzcGxlYXNlc0dhcnlCdXNleS5qc Gc%3D (http://www.bordom.net/item/click_image/15834)

Tussell
04-12-2011, 07:49 PM
People can buy experience? No thanks.