PDA

View Full Version : will kiosk be the way of the future the next time you buy games?

kingofthstrays
04-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Today was the last day for my local blockbuster store well there was no games for sale it did make me wonder "redboxes kiosk took over when to rent dvds " My question is when will kiosk take over when to buy games?

Think about it ....your at the grocery store and the newest game for your system comes out you go over buy it no need to stop at your local video store, every dlc, point cards, will be printed on a receipt code like no going the distance to the mall to pick up games I think it will happen sooner than later

Chaosx721
04-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Probably never. Most people who go to the grocery store are most likely to rent a movie for the night then pick up a game.

Tyrion619
04-10-2011, 10:16 PM
You can already rent games with Redbox.

ZackNovak
04-11-2011, 05:55 AM
You can already rent games with Redbox.

I've seen the option to but theres no games on the RedBoxes in my area :( But it wouldn't be in grocery stores, I imagine these in game stores where you can pick what DLC you want and have a code printed out, then again that would be pointless if you're already in a gaming store :p

KFZ Scrubs
04-11-2011, 06:05 AM
So far they're extremely limited games. I've been to multiple redboxes around my area and so far i've seen only one game for rent... a game for the wii

Madfrog0
04-11-2011, 06:35 AM
some redboxes rent games now...

Kovalt
04-11-2011, 08:03 AM
I don't think anyone can say for sure if this will or will not happen. I shall hope against all hope that it does not.

zarda1
02-17-2012, 09:11 AM
can you trade in a game you bought from redbox? the game was stolen and recovered but i didn't get it back for 33 days anf was charged the keep fee

otaking live
02-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Never heard of redbox. Must be US only. . Sounds whack anyway so you guys can keep it.

Skilled
02-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Never heard of redbox. Must be US only. . Sounds whack anyway so you guys can keep it.

Haha, just thinking this too.

JimCant
02-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Haha, just thinking this too.

Man no redboxes?? They are like vending machines for movies and now games as well. They cost like a dollar a day and I think the games are like 2 bucks a day. There is a small selection of maybe like 10 or 15 games in the one that I saw just the other day. I saw WWE 12 and Soul Caliber so I saw recent games but none like COD or Skyrim.

It is cool if its an easy game you want to rent for like a weekend but I wouldnt rent games from them for a long time.

I have done the movies and its pretty easy

Skilled
02-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Man no redboxes?? They are like vending machines for movies and now games as well. They cost like a dollar a day and I think the games are like 2 bucks a day. There is a small selection of maybe like 10 or 15 games in the one that I saw just the other day. I saw WWE 12 and Soul Caliber so I saw recent games but none like COD or Skyrim.

It is cool if its an easy game you want to rent for like a weekend but I wouldnt rent games from them for a long time.

I have done the movies and its pretty easy

Sounds confusing? You rent them from a vending machine, how does it charge you each day? How do you return them?

AssassinGnome
02-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Sounds confusing? You rent them from a vending machine, how does it charge you each day? How do you return them?

you use your credit card example visa and you get charge 1 dollar a day for renting the game/movie you can stay as long as you want by paying $1 per day also you can go to any other red box lets say i rent a movie from a walgreens red box in cayey(1 hour drive from where i live) i can return the movie to any other red box doesn't matter in what part of puerto rico.

the only games i have seen on red box are mw3 and brink at least that what i have seen on puerto rico not sure other parts.

ChickinOnaChain
02-17-2012, 02:26 PM
All the way with Amazon for me. My wife lives on their web site.

AvengingCactus7
02-17-2012, 07:40 PM
The problem with vending machines is due to a limited amount of space, the selection is tiny. Not to mention, it's all going to be brand spanking new stuff only. I have a Kroger near by that has two Redbox machines joined together. The two machines combined only had a few [Xbox 360] games available. This was a couple of weeks ago. They included Skyrim, some James Bond game, and Saints Row 3. That was it. That's actually better than all the other Redbox machines in my area, too.

JimCant
02-17-2012, 07:58 PM
The problem with vending machines is due to a limited amount of space, the selection is tiny. Not to mention, it's all going to be brand spanking new stuff only.

Yea I mean its a newer process. I think that they probably have problems with people messing the games up or not returning them (I wonder how much they charge them for the game and fees for not returning them). Hopefully since its a new process they will start to get more games and such. I mean its a good way to rent a game real quick to see if you want to buy it.

otaking live
02-17-2012, 08:03 PM
They are clearly trying to be Japan. Next beer and birth control will be in vending machines.

JimCant
02-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Next beer and birth control will be in vending machines.

Wait is that bad??

Haha it is kinda weird. The Publix (grocery store) by my house has Florida Lottery in a vending machine.

The bowling alley near my hometown sells socks and bowling supplies in vending machines.

sleepydumbdude
02-17-2012, 08:17 PM
I've seen DS games, systems, and accessories sold in vending machines in airports with the Best Buy logo on them. Also seen them in a few Vegas hotels. That was two years ago. I don't see it changing the fact you can buy them in stores but can see tourist cities getting more of them popping up.

JeremyVersion1
02-17-2012, 08:19 PM
I've rented plenty of games from the Redbox and it's a nice cheap way to find out if I'll enjoy the game. Obviously the more popular games will be hard to come by (like MW3), but thanks to Redbox I've avoided duds like Brink and Bodycount, and found gems like Nicktoons MLB and Captain America.

I still won't buy games unless they're used from Gamestop, but will keep using the RedBox for scouting games.

colt415
02-17-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't think this will ever catch on, how will you be able to pre-order and how about SE, CE, and LE how will they fit inside. If they come up with a way to fit those in I doubt they'll be able to get more than three or five.