PDA

View Full Version : [Need Help] Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah

Colllecionador
04-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Greetings everyone,

I'm trying to get Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/hexic-hd/achievement/168-Grand-Pearl-Pooh-Bah.html) but no matter how hard I try I can't even start a mastergrid, when I'm lucky I make only 2 stars at level 1 but no more, the colors simple don't match. Can someone help me? I really dunno what to do. :(

Shinobi273
04-12-2011, 12:56 AM
How many stars are you able to make in level 3? I found it pretty hard to get more than 3 in level 1 just because there are too few colors and everything causes a combo.

If you are talking about making a grid of stars, I found 2 colums of 4 to be the most I could realistically maintain and keep making flowers. Even 1 column of 4 flowers can be effective. To avoid making combos, don't have 2 pieces of the same color next to eachother around the flowers in the grid. I made my grid on the left of the map.

What you really need to do is set up the combo on the guide. You get 5 pearls for only 16 flowers. http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/hexic-hd/guide/

Once you have the 16, set up the middle 4 on the bottom. Them move flowers in pairs into position from the bottom up. Really think about every move you make to avoid mistakes at this point. I had extra flowers to help me move pieces into position and they helped to get more flowers after the combo.

Once you have the 5 pearls, move them carefully into place with flowers or combos. Finish up the last 6 flowers for the achievement.

Colllecionador
04-12-2011, 01:26 AM
well, I actually give up before level 3, but I make around 5 - 6 stars, but my biggest problem is to move the stars without making combos, I really can't move the stars around without it gets stuck in a situation where a movement will cause big problems (the stars are going to move to the bottom). I think that avoiding movement problems (combos) I can make it. Also, I have a big problem with incoming hex. because it sometime detroy my incoming flowers.

One more thing that I also want to know, if I get to level 5-6 (the one that 'dark green' show up, I don't remember) I give up, right? because I never make flowers on this level, just too many colors.

Finally, not all game is a good game for this achievement right? because there are some games that I just can't see any half-made flowers at the beginning.

Shinobi273
04-12-2011, 01:43 AM
Yeah too few colors makes it so hard to move flowers.

I made columns on the left side 4 high, spaced so that the bottom one rotates the pieces on the bottom and alternate regular piece and flower to the top. Make flowers at the top by rotating the flowers to pass pieces up. Pick colors that don't occupy the borders that will cause a combo. Don't be afraid to make a regular combo to make space for your flowers to rotate so you can make a flower.

When the flower makes a combo, rotate the flowers to pass the flower up the column and use a regular combo to move it away. You can use pairs of flowers to move freely around the map so don't be afraid to just keep making flowers if you have the colors in place. Just make sure you aren't going to make a flower combo.

I have been able to make flowers all the time in level 7 but the bombs end the game eventually. I got the grand pearl pooh-bah in level 3 but I would say that was a good game. If you don't have 2 flowers in level 1, restart.

Playing more will hopefully give you more experience with moving pieces. So don't be afraid to keep playing if you still have flowers left. Experiment with flowers so you can move them better. Formations of 2 can move everywhere and can be used to move another single flower up or down and move away to fix a column.

I shoot from the hip alot and make flowers without using a grid when I have a good opportunity. As you get to higher levels, it should get easier to make flowers because you can move more freely. The only problem should be bombs.

Oceans4Ransom
02-16-2012, 05:21 AM
I am very thankful that you brought this up. I always neglected this achievement until now. I will go back with a vengeance. How long was the entire process for you guys?

theEVOL1
02-16-2012, 02:05 PM
I am very thankful that you brought this up. I always neglected this achievement until now. I will go back with a vengeance. How long was the entire process for you guys?

I think the first time I did it, my game was around 4 hours, spread over a few days. This was after about 2 solid months of trying.

Now, I can do it in about 30 minutes with a second round Poo-bah. The grid makes it infinitely easier once you figure it out.

I've said it a hundred times before, the key is patience. Nothing is forcing you to make any moves. Nothing. Take as much time as you need to assure that you will not make any unwanted combos. Plan your moves out before you spin any hexes. Scan the board and don't make any combos that are not progressing toward making stars.

This game is not luck, I promise. If it was, there wouldn't be people who can do it every single time! Take your time, and remember to back out to the main menu to save your progress if you get frustrated or need a break!

ChickinOnaChain
02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Hexic HD and Hexic 2 are really fun but for me, they're impossible to get passed a few jewels. But Hexic 2 is the better one because you can split screen it.

madmankevin
02-16-2012, 03:12 PM

When I decided that I wanted to get the Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah, I went to school! Seriously! I never "studied" for a video game in my entire life. But I did. I read through any tactic I could find, watched videos, read everything about Hexic that I could, and I practiced. A ton of practicing.

Like everybody will tell you, Hexic is a game of skill, not luck. Just learning how to move pieces around and creating grids takes time. For me, that time was about 2 weeks from when I told myself that "I'm going to get this" until I actually got it.

In that time were many collapsed grids but I persevered and got it! Learn the tactics of Hexic, practice, and anybody can get this.

Joel78
02-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Yeah patience is the main thing for me. I tried playing about a year ago and didn't get too far, I knew what to do but it just didn't really click.
Now I am trying again and am doing a lot better, I'm understanding the game a lot more and I am finally having the patience to really spend 10 or 15 seconds or more looking at each move to make sure I'm not going to lose any stars.
Last night I thought I managed to build the design in the guide but for some reason I only got one pearl so I must have done it slightly wrong.
But I will keep perservering until I get it.

xX Splice Xx
03-12-2012, 05:52 AM
I was able to actually pull it off by making two rows of the master grid on the bottom. I would then use the top right star to be the base of the starflower formations, and once a black pearl is created you can easily transfer to the bottom left corner. Not the fastest way to do it, but with patience you can pull it off. I probably didnt explain this in a great way, but if you need help just message or chat me on XBL, happy to help. GT: xX Splice Xx