PDA

View Full Version : Signs that you've played too much

Fluid Vision
04-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Shortly after I got it, I was flying through Oblivion, gathering achievements and rising in power. It was great. A little while later, I had to leave home for something, and I recall noticing the plants in the flower garden in front of my destination. They were large and set aside from other plants, to draw attention to them (which is, of course, the purpose of flower gardens). The problem is that I had an actual impulse to harvest them for alchemy, and a few seconds later, it occurred to me that I didn't know how to; I usually just walked up to plants and interacted with them, but without an animation, I didn't know what to do.

I realized what was happening to my poor brain and took a few weeks off from gaming. I've cut back over all, and it hasn't happened again. I just wondered if anyone else has had an impulse to respond in a way that a game has trained you to- to use available cover, collect everything that isn't nailed down, etc. If so, had you been gaming a lot before that, was the game really engrossing, or do you think something else caused it?

Rainbow Donut
04-14-2011, 02:38 AM
I was driving into the city once and after playing hours of Assasins Creed II, I looked up at the buildings and thought 'I wonder if there is a look out point up there, I should go up and check'............... Seriously I pulled over and was like WTF o.O!

Hahaha freaked me out just a tad, took me a while to play AC2 after that, I have since made sure I have break between games and don't just spend hours playing one because that was just not normal LOL!

Snowwwwy
04-14-2011, 02:41 AM
I was driving into the city once and after playing hours of Assasins Creed II, I looked up at the buildings and thought 'I wonder if there is a look out point up there, I should go up and check'............... Seriously I pulled over and was like WTF o.O!
Hahahaha. You actually pulled over. Thats funny as. I like that one.

Schism
04-14-2011, 02:57 AM
when im at work at thinking of what game to play when i get home *sigh* hahaha

KillerChris8814
04-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Never had myself try and do something from a game, but my thumbs actually started bleeding once for playing games. Then I got some caluses and all was right with the world again.

Coadster1
04-14-2011, 04:27 AM
I've been grinding Seriously... on Gears of War so much, I've recently been trying to avoid players inviting me.

I've never really had any physical problems or anything like that. But I think of Xbox all the time when I'm not playing it.

JDMBO1
04-14-2011, 04:31 AM
After going on a Dead Space marathon of play 1 & 2 I became way paranoid, and looked over my shoulder when it got to quiet

KillerBEA
04-14-2011, 04:51 AM
When you find ways to make games play them self so you can something else and not loose out on achievements.

LIke my kinect registers my chair as me so now zumba thinks im still there while i am on the pc downstairs or chilling to a movie. even went to taco bell while chair was dancing the night away :D

k3ndykane
04-14-2011, 05:58 AM
I get what I call "gamers knee" lol. I sit on my couch with one leg up and crossed underneath, which I have found puts extreme strain on it, and therefore causes pain that can last for a few days. Also, playing too much Guitar Hero makes my hand go really gimpy, but I am sure that happens to lots of people haha.

Rainbow Donut
04-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Hahahaha. You actually pulled over. Thats funny as. I like that one.

I fully freaked myself out I mean I was considering climbing buildings o.O LOL

Krueg70
04-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Back in the day when GTA: San Andreas came out I played it nonstop. One day while walking to the store I noticed a motorcycle and immediately thought to myself "I should steal that motorcycle" Then quickly realized maybe I had been playing too much.

PurpleSkwid
04-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Whenever I play Bulletstorm I get the urge to slide everywhere because I think it'd be quicker than just walking.

I purposefully stay away from driving games, because whenever I do I keep wanting to drift around corners while I'm actually driving.... not a good idea....

Then there's this thing which I thought I was crazy for doing, until my brother admitted he does it too.
If I've been playing a game (mainly puzzle games) too long, I start playing it in my head even when I'm not actually playing it.
For instance, when I first got into Bejeweled, I'd be falling asleep and could see the game in my head. Actually made me better at it, but it got annoying when I kept putting things into lines of 3 or more...

More recently it's happened with Ikaruga. Hadn't played it for a while, woke up one morning full of ideas. Got my A rank on it not long after.

And then as somebody else said, I play Assassin's Creed and feel the need to climb buildings...

ginge88isfun
04-14-2011, 09:59 AM
After playing the sims 3 for about 10 minutes and realising that I actually do exist and not them.

TAI JASON
04-14-2011, 11:36 AM
After i play a lot of Crysis 2 i look at the river next to my house and say to myself "what an ugly water effect"...a few seconds later i recognize itīs just reality...:)

Arduous Wolf
04-14-2011, 01:06 PM
I know I've been playing too much when I can still see aspects of the game screen when I close my eyes, even hours after stopping playing.

For example I played Puzzle Quest on the DS solidly for a whole weekend once. Come Monday morning on the way to work I closed my eyes and could see floating skulls.

This also happens a lot with RPGs and Hack n' slashers when I have health bars turned on.

VladimirK
04-14-2011, 01:17 PM
After a few of my Morrowind binges I've had the feeling that I can do really stupid stuff and then everything would be cool because I can just load an earlier save.
Then I remember that this might be reality that I'm about to screw up or have begun screwing up.

yamayamayaamaa
04-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I played EverQuest on the PS2 for 7+ years. That plus drugs had a really bad impact on my brain. I had a full conversations with a tree because i thought it was a Treant...

Good thing I'm clean and sober now. :woop:

Snowwwwy
04-14-2011, 01:32 PM
I fully freaked myself out I mean I was considering climbing buildings o.O LOL
Im glad you didnt. I doubt you would have gotten very far haha.

TAI JASON
04-14-2011, 01:35 PM
I played EverQuest on the PS2 for 7+ years. That plus drugs had a really bad impact on my brain. I had a full conversations with a tree because i thought it was a Treant...

Good thing I'm clean and sober now. :woop:

Trees are lifeforms. Itīs absolute ok to make a serious conversation with a tree!

But Kids: Donīt take drugs.

Opiate42
04-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Final Fantasy 13: walking around the house mashing A, even when the xbox isn't on thinking "what paradigm do I use to get my laundry done?"

Mass Effect: Few years back on a particularly strange day for me I almost drove my little rental car (think it was a Prius) off the road up a nearly vertical hillside. Thought there might have been a Geth outpost in the trees at the top.

Then I remembered I didn't have a cannon on the roof and no Liara or Tali next to me, just my little tiny dog at the time who wanted to go run around and pee on those trees.

LOL, yah, life does not have a save/load save function. Too bad.

Z3R0 S1X
04-14-2011, 05:11 PM
I used to play Rainbow Six Vegas alot a few years ago and while walking through a local grocery store one day I realized I could hug the corner of an asile and peak around like in the game. Needless to say, I didn't have a sub-machine gun and there were no terrorists around.

DunMiffSys605
04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Mirror's Edge - walking around looking for things that are red so you can climb them...

DesertZero
04-14-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't really have gaming habits that carry over into RL...however I do have gaming habits that cross from game to game.

For instance: I just finished playing through Just Cause 2 and moved on to TDU:2. I find myself wanting to stunt jump out of the car to use the grappling hook, even going as far to press the buttons to do so.

A noob4you
04-14-2011, 08:22 PM
i was riding in the car with my dad, all of the sudden i noticed some people further up the road, i instantly tried to look at my mini-map to see if i had a crosshair incase i could assassinate them (saints row 2 hitman activity)

guess the saints row2 1 week marathon wasn't such a good idea after all

Keirris
04-15-2011, 07:30 AM
LMFAO I Did the same thing only outside of a Black ops Marathon First a Plane Flew over and I Quickly Looked for a Stella Rocket Launcher then I Heard Dogs Barking and Jumped over a bench xD

Andarion
04-15-2011, 10:06 AM
playing guitar hero a lot makes me finger along to songs i recognize on my ipod.

Arenazombie
04-15-2011, 10:55 AM
From time to time I'm thinking about:
What would I do in a Zombie-Apocalypse?

Baylor05
04-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Oh yeah I routinely drive around town, steal cars, pick up hookers, and then kill them to get my money back. Am I the only one? And here I was always arguing video games didn't make me violent.

ARCANEVALORE
04-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I was doing a run through of Fear 2 last night infact and I had my laptop screen infront of me while playing the game... I was so into it and going through the campaign near the end that I looked at my laptop and the glimmer of light from the Xbox360a screen to the left of my eye i swear i had saw Alma walking towards me. I was like what the hell and felt so weird and kinda freaked after it.

DragonsGoMOO
04-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Used to play Left 4 Dead 1/2 for hours on end. I play into the night, unknowingly, and I get thirsty. I go downstairs, and I'm terrified of a tank popping from around the corner, or I run upstairs quickly to avoid the special infected.

Phiggins81
04-15-2011, 03:52 PM
I get what I call "gamers knee" lol. I sit on my couch with one leg up and crossed underneath, which I have found puts extreme strain on it, and therefore causes pain that can last for a few days.

I also suffer with "gamers knee" caused by the exact same reason, and it can be really painful for a long while afterwards, but only after you stop playing or move position ... weird.

If I play a game for a few days straight, I also play them in my head whilst I'm trying to sleep .... happened recently with Enslaved, going through the levels looking for Tech Orbs.

niko da bos
04-15-2011, 04:07 PM
I used to play Rainbow Six Vegas alot a few years ago and while walking through a local grocery store one day I realized could hug the corner of an asile and peak around like in the game. Needless to say, I didn't have a sub-machine gun and there were no terrorists around.

classic, that would be funny shit in third person to see you peekin out corners.

i actually had a very scary moment when i realized i was playing GTA way too much. well one of my favorite things to do with niko is drive on the sidewalk, click in the :rs: and watch the blood splatter over my hood. common, who doesnt have fun getting a killionaire splatter spree?

after a night of drinking/other things i was driving home following the blackhawks winning stanley cup. streets in chi were filled with drunk people, i swerved my car towards a huge group outside some bar. they all jumped and hugged the building while i honked and wizzed by. it was pretty funny at the moment, but sad that i actually thought of splattering the lot of them

Jtrockn69
04-15-2011, 04:37 PM
lol i play way too much

HenryRivers
04-18-2011, 01:11 AM
I've recently started to hear the achievement noise, or player coming online noise. Just randomly, when I'm out and about.

Coo, coo.

Snowwwwy
04-18-2011, 01:21 AM
I've recently started to hear the achievement noise, or player coming online noise. Just randomly, when I'm out and about.
Haha. I hear that when Im usually playing xbox.

Turkeyshoot37
04-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks to Call of Duty (all of them) I routinely check windows and rooftops for snipers and give corners a wide berth just in case there are claymores.

Yaymez
04-18-2011, 07:58 PM
After pouring countless hours into Fallout 3 I was hearing the ping sound-effect that popped every time I gained XP.

Oh and the time I tried to break into NASA. I was very angry that they wouldn't let me chase Saren.

w1nn3r1
04-18-2011, 10:24 PM

lol me too! though I hear it when listening to music sometimes. strange, isn't it?

I used to play ALOT of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1, 2, and 3 and would notice places that I thought would make great skating spots in the game.

vLotus
04-19-2011, 12:24 AM
my fingers fell off so i thought id better give it a rest for a few days

Saint Braeic
04-19-2011, 04:29 PM
After playing Fallout 3 for... months... I found a bobby pin on the floor of my then-girlfriends house. I paused momentarily and thought about picking it up just in case I needed to break into some building. Hopefully not her house... :p

pownd3mic
04-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Had a dream that I was with 2 of my friends and we were fighting 3 other dudes. We each swapped in and out and ended the fight when all three of us used our specials. I've had this dream multiple times since MvC3 came out.

pownd3mic
04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
I've bought every album from the halo series. When i'm not playing it, i'm listening to them all on my iPod. I've also been stared at while i unconsciously sing the infmaous chat, but i don't realize it because my headphones are in

Spanish Assault
04-19-2011, 05:22 PM
when you post on this site at work...instead of working...

KR15T47L
04-19-2011, 11:29 PM
ive had a few but the one that sticks out the most is when i was trying to beat call of duty world at war on veteran i was stuck on the level burn em out for like 2 days i had dreams that i was trying to dive intoone of the last bunkers and burn the vietnamiese
and sgt roebuck saying get in there and clear out those bunkers stuck with me for awhile after that LOL and the nazis saying grenade
ugghhh never again lol

DesertHavok218
04-20-2011, 12:22 AM
About three years back when I was into WoW I could litterally tell people exactly where to go for each quest without even thinking about it, And at work I'd look on the Archives for where I could find the next twink item. It was all I would ever do, Kind of sad really but finally I broke free.

Last year while everyone was playing COD: Modern Warfare 2 I'd play so much that when I'd go to bed even if it were pitch black I could easily play a couple games in my head before falling asleep.

After playing Test Drive Unlimited 2 for hours upon end I find my Driving habits change quite immensely as well.

petrolhead91
04-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Mine was when I first got my 360 about 3 yes ago and I was really in into cod modern warfare 1 I was playing it before school in the morning and straight after school. I was playing so much that I was actually dreaming about it that I was online playing.

Tus
04-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Quite often I have dreams about Eve Online where I'm flying around a new ship that I had just purchased, and then lose it in an epic battle- just to wake up and realize it was just a dream.

I also used to play Borderlands to the point where my dreams were based on it.

Black Arrow
04-20-2011, 01:01 AM
I've literally became addicted to Mass Effect.

In the past month I:

Played through both games 3 times doing everything (Side quests, etc.) Different choices, outcomes.
Bought all of the novels
Bought the comics
Can't seem to stop visiting the Bioware forums for discussions on ME.
Have became obsessed with listening to the soundtrack of ME2 (The Illusive man theme in particular)
And whenever I've played other games, I can't seem to 'get into them', and just turn them off in no time.

Glandir
04-20-2011, 05:07 AM
I can't play GTA IV anymore. I always try to drive off overpasses.