PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live Auto Renewal.

KyKy
04-14-2011, 11:13 PM
I was just wondering. I paid for a month Xbox Live Gold (5.99) on 17th March (directly from Xbox Live), as my year had ran out and I couldn't really afford another year at the time. My mate told me that it will now be on auto-renewal and to cancel it that I would HAVE to phone Microsoft, does anyone know anything about this? I'm not sure whether he is trying to wind me up.

KyKy
04-14-2011, 11:19 PM
I just noticed something similar on a different thread about MS Points, how strange. :eek:

Seraph Xii
04-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Yes, you have to phone them.

My card was almost expired and Microsoft sent me emails telling me to update, I figure I'll let it run it's course because I didn't want gold any more (assuming they'd simply cut my subscription)

They perma-banned me until I paid the "outstanding charges" on my account. So yeah, you have no choice but to phone them.

KyKy
04-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Yes, you have to phone them.

My card was almost expired and Microsoft sent me emails telling me to update, I figure I'll let it run it's course because I didn't want gold any more (assuming they'd simply cut my subscription)

They perma-banned me until I paid the "outstanding charges" on my account. So yeah, you have no choice but to phone them.

B*stards! :uzi: Couldn't I just upgrade to a year long membership now? In order to cancel out a monthly rolling one.

Seraph Xii
04-15-2011, 12:01 AM
B*stards! :uzi: Couldn't I just upgrade to a year long membership now? In order to cancel out a monthly rolling one.

You could, but it'll still be on auto-renewal. So eventually you will have to call anyway to stop it if you don't want it.

Apparently though cancelling auto-renewal is a lot easier than cancelling membership altogether from what I hear.

KyKy
04-15-2011, 12:12 AM
You could, but it'll still be on auto-renewal. So eventually you will have to call anyway to stop it if you don't want it.

Apparently though cancelling auto-renewal is a lot easier than cancelling membership altogether from what I hear.

Yea I guess so, I'll give it a bash tomorrow. I don't mind paying 5.99 on the odd occasion to top up, when I can't afford a years membership. But, I'm not paying it every month! Works out over 70 a year! I really thought my mate was winding me up originally, thanks for the help :)

Vanilla Coke Zero
04-15-2011, 12:17 AM
you need to call them up. the process doesn't take long at all. i did it recently when my gold expired.

gamerguy69
04-15-2011, 12:23 AM
I was just wondering. I paid for a month Xbox Live Gold (5.99) on 17th March (directly from Xbox Live), as my year had ran out and I couldn't really afford another year at the time. My mate told me that it will now be on auto-renewal and to cancel it that I would HAVE to phone Microsoft, does anyone know anything about this? I'm not sure whether he is trying to wind me up.

You can just easily view your Account Settings on the dashboard. Do you not know how to do this? :confused:

From the Account Settings section you can view your Membership details and it will indicate your current Renewal status. The e-mail you signed up with should have also received your exact renewal date if any is applicable.

Snowwwwy
04-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Id phone them, just to make sure, that they get rid of it.

KyKy
04-15-2011, 12:57 AM
You can just easily view your Account Settings on the dashboard. Do you not know how to do this? :confused:

From the Account Settings section you can view your Membership details and it will indicate your current Renewal status. The e-mail you signed up with should have also received your exact renewal date if any is applicable.

I knew I could view it, but I didn't think it would've been on auto-renewal. I assumed I would have just gone back to Silver after the month. Thought their would have been an easier solution to solve this, rather than ringing Microsoft.

Chaosflare
04-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Thought their would have been an easier solution to solve this, rather than ringing Microsoft.
It had been much easier in the past; they just removed the feature. =_=;

gamerguy69
04-15-2011, 04:17 AM
I knew I could view it, but I didn't think it would've been on auto-renewal. I assumed I would have just gone back to Silver after the month. Thought their would have been an easier solution to solve this, rather than ringing Microsoft.

Hmmm. You also could have just let the account revert to Silver all on it's own. I've done that in the past. The world goes on. You're still on Xbox LIVE. Gamertag, Achievements, Friends List, etc. :eek: *just NO online multiplayer (yet you would have survived, I'm sure.) :)

Chaosflare
04-15-2011, 05:09 AM
Hmmm. You also could have just let the account revert to Silver all on it's own. I've done that in the past. The world goes on. You're still on Xbox LIVE. Gamertag, Achievements, Friends List, etc. :eek: *just NO online multiplayer (yet you would have survived, I'm sure.) :)
The issue with this simply being the fact that auto-renewal would be active, thus charging his account; this keeps him at Gold.
He wouldn't be able to revert to Silver unless he were to shut off the auto-renewal.

gamerguy69
04-15-2011, 06:36 AM
The issue with this simply being the fact that auto-renewal would be active, thus charging his account; this keeps him at Gold.
He wouldn't be able to revert to Silver unless he were to shut off the auto-renewal.

I sort of misread the first post and thought he bought GOLD thru the dashboard just before it was set to expire.

Seems he bought it after he had gone Silver -- or was about to. Hmmm.

If you've ever had your GOLD subscription run out you know the procedure where you are shown a screen upon sign-on stating that GOLD time has run out and you are given the option of buying thru the dashboard or simply just reverting to Silver.

No harm in just going Silver. Find a 48-hour card or save up for a year or other sub. term. Avoid buying thru the dashboard altogether.

After buying thru the dashboard, it would have been easy to see that he was now on auto-renewal.

Keirris
04-15-2011, 07:24 AM
As far as I am aware you can Pause your Renewal by Editing account info

Jtrockn69
04-15-2011, 04:41 PM
never use credit card on xbox.. anon could somhow seal ur name and take all the info