PDA

View Full Version : Gamerguy45's/Coldgears guide to maximizing fun and gamerscore... AT THE SAME TIME!

Coldgears
04-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Are you new to the Xbox, and just started to dabble in this generation's gaming system. Chances are, all your friends have a head-start on gamerscore, and you probably want to have the highest out of all of you. Well, luckily I have conducted this guide here to help you maximize your gamerscore... AND STILL HAVE COPIUS AMOUNTS OF FUN! In just 5 easy steps.

1. Choose your place of rentals.
The biggest factor of your whole plans depends on how many games you can rent. You're going to be renting games... And lots of them, saves so much money considering how many games are only 4-8 hours long and can be completed in a day or two if spend 2 - 4 hours after work or school playing games.

A. Library
Okay, this may sound odd to most of you, but the first thing your going to want to do is check your library. It's surprising how many libraries there are now-adays that actually have video-game rentals. Mine personally has all the current games, they order them constantly they just got in Homefront and Crysis two games that just came out within the last two weeks. They allow me to take out 5 games at a time, and I can put a hold on any game in the entire county and they will ship it over. Best part? It's free. If you haven't been too your local library in a while, you NEED to check it out. Be warned, some libraries refuse to carry "M" rated games (Mine does luckily).

B. Backup Plan
Okay, so you went to your library and they don't have any games, you now have two options A. you could cry in a corner, or B. you can man up and shell out some cash to buy your rentals. One option is your local rental store, such as blockbuster, get unlimited rentals and be on your way (they don't keep older games in stock like gamefly and my library though), that is if you're lucky enough to have a blockbuster that hasn't shut down. Secondly, you may want to try out a by-mail rental service, the issue with these is that it can take a few-days turn around time, you can't just drive over to your game-store and pick out a new game. If you live in the USA, then your best bet is gamefly if you live in the UK you want to try Lovefilm if you live in neither... Then you should go cry in a corner. Your S.O.L.

2. Choose your genre
So you have your rental place of choice... Now what to take out? This mostly depends on your preference, some people prefer shooters, others like adventure games, quite a few like music titles, but most people generally like a wide-variety. I like pretty much everything from shooters to RPG's the only games I don't like are RTS games and sports and realistic racing (Need for Speed is fun because of the arcade nature)

A. Good genre's
Not all genre's are equal, they all have varying length's. The best genre's are probably shooters, as they generally have 5-8 hour length's, sports because they have no campaign, all the achievements are earned just by doing stuff you would do anyway, like tackle 5 people in a game or throw for 100 yards, you don't have to actually play through the "tournaments" at all for the majority of the achievements. Some action/adventure games are short and quick too, but these are hit or miss, as plenty of them can be upwards of 20 - 30 hours to beat them E.G. Assassin's Creed.

B. Bad genre's
Here comes the bad, first of all, if you only play RPG's, then this guide is pretty much shot. I spent 85 hours just to get every achievement in Fallout 3, many RPG's can take over 100 hours to beat, and rarely are the achievements easy. Surprisingly, racing games are quite time-consuming. Most developers seem keen on repeating the same level racetrack... Over... and over... With just a slight twist, while this is okay for enjoyment purposes, this means that you will spend A LOT of time on these games.

3. Picking your specific game.
Chances are you can see your rental place of choice's catalog of games available, so many shooters/music games... Where to start?

A. Quick glance at achievements
While on your computer at home, take a quick glance at the achievement list. While a game like Solider of Fortune payback may look good at first, as it is an entertaining shooter with only a 4 hour campaign. Think again! There is only 80 - 100G for beating the game... Most of them are long boring and tedious multiplayer achievements, while I love multiplayer achievements, as they extend the fun of a game such as Halo: Reach, nobody is playing that game, it's too old and isn't the best game out there. A better choice would be a Call of Duty title, where you can get 400 - 500 in pretty much each one in one play through on easy.

B. Pick at least one whore game.
While the purpose of this guide to mainly to give you a way to have FUN while earning achievements, you definitely are going to have to play a few whorable games to truly get the most gamescore, don't do it too much, try to limit yourself to one whorable game every one or two months, start at with quick game such as avatar and work your way up to longer 2-3 hour whorable games. If it takes more then 5 hours it's not worth your time to not enjoy the game.

4. Start your play through.
You spent a couple hours signing up for gamefly and driving to your library, you did your homework and picked out a few games you can't wait to play. Now your asking? How do I get the most achievements?

A. Start out on easiest difficulty when available
Games are great, they are like interactive adventures, where you are the hero. Nothing, nothing at all ruins the fun of this then going back 15 - 30 minutes of progress by dying. If you choose a high difficulty this will happen, over and over, and over again. The amount of gamerscore you get for completing the highest difficulty is usually low, at most about 150, not worth it in the scheme of things, your only aiming for about 300G - 500G in every game you play. I say when available because while most game generally have an achievement for each level/chapter sometimes games will say, "beat chapter/level 1 on normal" and, "beat chapter/level 2 on normal" in this case play it on normal. If it requires difficulty higher then normal you probably shouldn't have rented under the assumption you followed 3. A. quick glance at achievements.

B. Take out those simple ones.
While playing through the campaign make sure to take out those simple ones such as, "Hit 10 HOPO in the song 'Doin' your mom' by raywilliamjohnson" or, "Take down an enemy yolakadolitathang with only a pistol" and even, "Win the race without using nitrous" Make a mental note, so when you do finally run into a yolakadolitathang you can know to take out your pistol and kill that sonabitch. This is also the time to take out the achievements like, "Use the nitrous boost powerup 100 times" or, "Kill 30 enemies with the m1540 alien gun", you already used 100 Spike Strips powerups? When your coming up to the powerups make sure to hit the nitrous boost. Have the choice between the alien gun and a jabba the hut gun? Pick the alien gun, you already got your 20 kills with jabba.

C. Check after every song/level
You just beat the song, "Through the Fire and Flames" and now the next song is about to play, check your achievements, make sure there isn't a song specific achievement. Same with levels, after every level take a look at the level specific achievements and put out an effort to get them. Don't worry too much, you can always go back, if you can't go back, it doesn't matter their's always another game to rent.

D. Finish off those last few singleplayer achievements.
You killed 14 enemy nazi's with your spitball cannon, you need to kill 15, go back and get it, it's totally worth it for the easy 20G. This is your time to pick off a few easy level/song/racetrack specific achievements too. Don't spend too much time, or go for too hard of an achievement, there's plenty of other games awaitin' the rentin'.
E. Multiplayers
If you don't have gold then your SOL, sorry. If you do, then make sure to pick up the easy, "Win a race", "Get infected" or, "Get 5 kills without dying" achievements. Generally, multiplayer achievements are time-consuming. Only go for the quick/easy ones and if you suck at the game and can't get 5 kills, then maybe gaming isn't for you, and maybe you should just ignore that achievement and rent another game. PROTIP If you're not playing Call of Duty, then make sure to say, "This game sucks Call of Duty is so much better" while going for the achievements. Chances are, your playing a game that isn't popular, and has a cult following. No way to piss people off who are part of a games group then saying a popular game is better. Adds so fun the the multiplayer achievements.

5. Repeat
Here's the easiest step, you probably have 200 - 500 gamerscore, or if the game is easy maybe 400 - 700. All in a matter of 4 - 8 hours. Now it's time to drive to the mailbox and shove your game in, or take a trip to the library, 'cause now your startin' a new game baby. Getting a new list of achievements to tackle, and enjoying yourself some more. Why? 'Cause thats how you roll, and that's how we get ourselves quick achievements.

I hope you enjoy. ~gamerguy45/Coldgears

Coldgears
04-16-2011, 04:54 PM
I wrote this small-novel for nothing apparently... Not one response? Seriously?

CyanideSpirit
04-16-2011, 05:02 PM
This reminds me of a training video I saw at my job once lol. But seriously, not everyone might have the funds for this guide, so not everyone might use it. Everyone is different my friend.

DragonsGoMOO
04-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Library's a good idea, but never heard of games being checked out...
And renting adds up really fast, especially since my Blockbuster only gives you five days to play, and I'm usually busy with college, work, or girlfriend.

Vanilla Coke Zero
04-16-2011, 06:43 PM
i don't think anyone needs a guide on how to have fun playing games.

xFortyseven
04-16-2011, 08:57 PM
i think it's a nice guide for beginner-achievement hunters

jamie1000013
04-16-2011, 10:58 PM
I have my own achievement boosting beginners guide:

If the game's age rating is 12 or below, play it and you'll get 1000G added to your score, rinse and repeat.

This guide was brought to you by Jamie incorporated.

Good guide though, don't really see the point in it but I can tell a lot of effort and time has been put into it. If you ever made an achievement guide for a game it would be siik.

Corrupt.
04-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Its a good guide, not really relevant for majority of the members here though...

UltraAmoeba
04-16-2011, 11:17 PM
I wrote this small-novel for nothing apparently... Not one response? Seriously?

You're really surprised? A little naive....

spyder2g
04-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Cool guide, but like others have said, probably not the best fit here. Put it up somewhere in the xbox.com forums and I'm sure you'll get a much better reception.

nappster187
04-17-2011, 01:14 AM
too much to read...

Short way.... check out the easy games list, ask questions on this site..... play games

btw... gamefly works wonders....

XPL1C1T GAM3R
04-17-2011, 09:07 AM
i don't think anyone needs a guide on how to have fun playing games.

Exactly what i thought

jgahagan
04-17-2011, 09:36 AM
I read as far as the second paragraph but had this overwhelming feeling like you were trying to sell me something, so I stopped. But I'm with everyone else, this would be helpful elsewhere.

Snowwwwy
04-17-2011, 12:38 PM
A nice guide, but it doesnt have any relevance to me, whatsoever.

AmbaLaBamba
04-17-2011, 12:46 PM
I rent games anyway because my the cost of buying games new or preowned was just too much. £15.99 for 2 disks at a time, unlimited rentals per month ;D Works out just perfectly.

Snowwwwy
04-17-2011, 01:12 PM
I rent games anyway because my the cost of buying games new or preowned was just too much. £15.99 for 2 disks at a time, unlimited rentals per month ;D Works out just perfectly.
Renting sometimes works out so much better.. and easier..

irJessica
04-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Where do you rent yours from?

Fire Hawk D
04-17-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm guessing from reading this it's a guide on how to burn through a bunch of games quickly? Aw, that's no fun.

DragonsGoMOO
04-17-2011, 06:58 PM
I don't like it. You're just saying, "Get 400-700 points and get a new game"
I like to try and get as many as I can, unless the game is completely shitty.
But then, I guess that's the purpose of your guide, to get points as quick as possible.

Oh well, not for me

TAI JASON
04-18-2011, 06:39 AM
If i do this i never get my GS score up. Some achivements have nothing to do with fun.

My rules for GS:

Get unemployed, rent games (from buddy“s, better than everything), forget real life, destroy all clock“s and everything that reminds you how late it is, turn off your mobile phone, get some Pizza, Chinese food, Coke, Chips and so on, turn your house into a dark room for the best game feeling (the sun is your enemy) and start to play the shit out of your Xbox. If you run your PC/Laptop at the same time, you can check up achivement guides and boosting opportunity“s, but don“t touch MSN or other chat/soicial network crap.

Have fun (or not)

Aopthema
04-18-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't like it. You're just saying, "Get 400-700 points and get a new game"
I like to try and get as many as I can, unless the game is completely shitty.
But then, I guess that's the purpose of your guide, to get points as quick as possible.

Oh well, not for me

What he says.

Andreas_loel
04-18-2011, 11:42 AM
i can make a better guide

Step 1: Buy a game you would like to play
Step 2: Play the game until you get bored
Step 3: Buy a new game
Step 4: Repeat step 2

Gamerscore in general just seem to make people sad

guillermo316
04-18-2011, 08:11 PM
TL:DR a guide to have fun? if you need that then video games shouldn't be what you do for entertainment.

Spoony Bard
04-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Guide's not really useful to me, but I appreciate your effort. Maybe add sections for Arcade and Kinect titles (including how to trick Kinect into thinking your chair is a second player).

Opiate42
04-19-2011, 07:14 PM
It made me chuckle, especially this:

B. Pick at least one whore game.
While the purpose of this guide to mainly to give you a way to have FUN while earning achievements, you definitely are going to have to play a few whorable games to truly get the most gamescore, don't do it too much, try to limit yourself to one whorable game every one or two months, start at with quick game such as avatar and work your way up to longer 2-3 hour whorable games. If it takes more then 5 hours it's not worth your time to not enjoy the game.

Whoring. But in moderation! Dude you made me smile today. Some good advice, I don't think very many people think to check the public library systems. Sadly I know the one in my area does not...

Luck/Hope
04-19-2011, 07:59 PM
wow no love...I enjoyed your tips, checking the library is a good idea, I use blockbusters mailing service to get my games, that way I have all the time I need to beat them...

Arenazombie
04-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Never rented an Xbox 360 game. I own all the games on my gamercard and was still able to reach somewhat like a decent score.
Anyway from my point of view score says nothing. Completition especially when you have some hard games on your card is the way to go.