PDA

View Full Version : Urge to buy more games

switzr1
04-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Does anyone else get the urge to drive 30 miles to the nearest GameStop, just to buy several cheap, terrible or outdated games and try to get a few achievements in them, rather than buying one or two good games? I have that urge right now and will probably do so tonight!

silentlybroken
04-15-2011, 11:31 PM
I actually just hunted across the live arcade to see if there was anything cheap that popped out at me cos I want something to play (it is midnight here, so no shops open)

I got The Maw free a few days back and now I'm hooked on quick and easy yet fun games. I'd love some extra 'crap' games to play for the heck of it and gain some achievements whilst doing it.

Strider16
04-15-2011, 11:33 PM
I do sometimes.

I want to get some old games which I never played much or complete. Games like BioShock and Orange Box. I also looked at some arcade games but I really need to cope with the ones I have and complete them. I regret buying some Arcade games though :( .

Spanish Assault
04-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Does anyone else get the urge to drive 30 miles to the nearest GameStop, just to buy several cheap, terrible or outdated games and try to get a few achievements in them, rather than buying one or two good games? I have that urge right now and will probably do so tonight!
while I enjoy shopping for inexpensive games I don't think I'd drive 30 miles for a game....honestly you are better off shopping eBay and getting a better deal on a better game.

KeepEmRolling
04-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I get the urge to buy some cheap games once in awhile, but I buy them in addition to other games. I wouldn't drive that far for a bargain game, and wouldn't spend money that took away from me buying better games.

Snowwwwy
04-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Yup. I do all the time. I play them, then just bring them back, haha. Dont know why maybe for the achievements.

Vanilla Coke Zero
04-16-2011, 02:34 AM
nah, not terrible games. i don't buy shit games for achievements. but i do get the urge to constantly buy new games. i bought mafia II yesterday, and even though it hasn't even arrived yet, i'm already thinking of buying vanquish.

switzr1
04-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Well, I went. And by the time I got there (Terre Haute, IN) it was too late to go to more than one store before everything closed. Went to GameStop. Not much of the under-$10 I was looking for that I didn't already have, so I bought CoD4-MW and Borderlands with all 4 DLC. Spent $30 + tax. Would have bought MotoGP 06 for $2.99 but their only copy was scratched. Pretty good deal, I suppose. Glad some of you talked me into spending the money on better games.

Coadster1
04-16-2011, 02:56 AM
I'm constantly doing this, I have a huge stack of games not even touched yet that I need to work on. I buy games even though I won't get to play them for a while.

Mr Bungle
04-16-2011, 02:59 AM
I get the urge sometimes.

milecoupe
04-16-2011, 04:06 AM
I have this problem badly.I must have a stack of 30+ games i have'nt even gotten too yet some of which have been in there almost 2 years and i just got 5 new games in the last week or 2.Just so many deals since last year that i can't pass them up anymore.

Kunduz
04-16-2011, 04:09 AM
uhm, not really...I always thought Quality>Quantity(but, maybe that's just me)

Snowwwwy
04-16-2011, 04:11 AM
I dont know if its better or worse for me now, cos I just got my license last week, and what allows me to go to the store whenever I want or feel like it really haha. Id say its a good thing tho haha.

DragonsGoMOO
04-16-2011, 05:14 AM
I have this problem badly.I must have a stack of 30+ games i have'nt even gotten too yet some of which have been in there almost 2 years and i just got 5 new games in the last week or 2.Just so many deals since last year that i can't pass them up anymore.

Sure wished you were my friend, I could enjoy them for you.

But I rarely buy games. I rent way more. (Just rented Prince of Persia. Girlfriend always pick the game)

But I just bought the Gears of War 1-2 bundle pack for 30 dollars. It was a great deal.

I always want to buy a game here and there whenever I visit a gamestore (I don't know why I tempt myself and then not satisfy it). Cheap prices, but in the long run, they really add up...

HLR zdmetal
04-16-2011, 05:16 AM
I used to go to GameStop and buy a few games from the $14.99 and under bin/rack quite often, but I got sick of buying turds with no manuals and stickers all over the damn case. I hate those stickers with a passion.

DragonsGoMOO
04-16-2011, 05:25 AM
I used to go to GameStop and buy a few games from the $14.99 and under bin/rack quite often, but I got sick of buying turds with no manuals and stickers all over the damn case. I hate those stickers with a passion.

I hate them too. If you have a friend that works at Toys'R'Us or something, like I do, you can ask them to get you a spare case so you can switch out. Or you can try and ask the Gamestop employee if he would be nice enough to do that for you.

I bought a game, and the thing that holds the disc was broken, so I asked my friend and he had 50 in his room. "What the fuck, where do you get them?"
"Toys'R'Us. Ask me if you need anymore. In fact, take 3 of them."

EmporerDragon
04-16-2011, 06:41 AM

That's why I prefer using Amazon for my used games. They're guaranteed to be in good condition and have all parts with them. Hell, 9 times out of 10, the redemption codes are still unused.

DBurchHero
04-16-2011, 02:02 PM
This is exactly why I have gamefly.

DragonsGoMOO
04-16-2011, 05:37 PM
That's why I prefer using Amazon for my used games. They're guaranteed to be in good condition and have all parts with them. Hell, 9 times out of 10, the redemption codes are still unused.

Ooh, I love hearing things like that. I just may try my luck at Amazon next time... That's sounds great.

The only game I have ever bought from Gamestop is a new Call of Duty: Blacks Ops, for my Uncle at Christmas.
Somehow I always end up buying at Best Buy or Target. Once was Walmart.

V1oL3NT Sn1PEzZ
04-16-2011, 07:18 PM

why do u think im playing football manager 2006 when i have the 2011 edition right next to me.

Johnnyboy
04-16-2011, 07:28 PM
I always have the urge to buy the older games. I also have to have at least 2 un-wrapped games on the shelf for me to work through !

VeNGeD
04-16-2011, 07:32 PM
I get the urge to buy games from Steam whenever they are on sale, even if it's games I already have on 360. Just recently bought AvP and Borderlands again for pc because of how cheap they were.

Anthonyelmio2
04-16-2011, 08:57 PM
every week i buy games up to $20 so since then i have around 200-260 games on different systems so my urge is really bad

EmporerDragon
04-17-2011, 05:34 AM
Ooh, I love hearing things like that. I just may try my luck at Amazon next time... That's sounds great.

One quick thing to note: Amazon's used store is their Warehouse Deals section. There are plenty of other used game sellers on amazon, and their quality can be as much of a crapshoot as Gamestop.

Raian the Fallen
04-17-2011, 05:51 AM
I usually look at older, cheaper games than the newest $60 ones. I'd rather get more for my money. Who can resist paying less?

DragonsGoMOO
04-17-2011, 06:13 AM
One quick thing to note: Amazon's used store is their Warehouse Deals section. There are plenty of other used game sellers on amazon, and their quality can be as much of a crapshoot as Gamestop.

Ah. Thanks for the heads up. From your experiences, have you received any bad games?

Raian the Fallen
04-17-2011, 06:18 AM
Ah. Thanks for the heads up. From your experiences, have you received any bad games?
Sorry for butting in, but I bought the Grand Theft Auto trilogy from Amazon. The seller said the case had slight damage, and when I got it, the entire case was broken. It was hardly usable. Every other game came out fine, though.

Snowwwwy
04-17-2011, 06:48 AM
I get the urge to buy games from Steam whenever they are on sale, even if it's games I already have on 360.
I tend to do that too actually. Not as much tho.

DragonsGoMOO
04-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Sorry for butting in, but I bought the Grand Theft Auto trilogy from Amazon. The seller said the case had slight damage, and when I got it, the entire case was broken. It was hardly usable. Every other game came out fine, though.

Don't apologize for butting in, I appreciate all comments.

Ah, that sucks. Well, the case could be easily replaced, if you know someone who works at a store that sell games (Not Kohl's or anything, more like Toys'R'Us, Gamestop).

How many times have you bought from Amazon?

bazariah
04-17-2011, 07:56 AM
i get the urge to buy games all the time

like last year i vowed to not buy any games between super street fighter 4 and dead rising 2.. i ended up picking up 38 more titles due to them being priced at less than 5 each, it's not like i even realy wanted most of them i just wanted to pick them up dirt cheap so that nobody else could

more recently i picked up marvel vs capcom 3 (a game i'd been waiting years for) then found myself wanting more games ended up buying 7 games for 40 (good stuff including modern warfare 2 and dragon age)

i think my major problem is i love the thrill of finding games for next to nothing and just have to have them in my collection, i know in my heart im never gonna have enough time to play them all but it ends up just that i need to aquire them , the other day i picked up mass effect, alan wake and assasins creed 2 (13 for the three) but i reckon i'll never 100% all of them due to time constraints

so yeah i guess it could be an urge to buy more games but i feel it's more likely to be the thrill of finding bargains which keeps me going

Sampson
04-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Yeah, quite a bit. I love to play games that aren't very popular anymore such as Mirror's Edge. I got the urge to buy that one yesterday.

xBurnleyxFC
04-17-2011, 04:13 PM
I probably wouldn't drive 30 miles to buy some games, but I know what you mean.

I traded in a load of old PS2 and PC games at my local exchange store and got around 80 worth of credit to spend on anything from DVDs to games.

Everytime I go there I get the urge to go mad and start buying loads of the cheap games :p At the minute, I'm biding my time and thinking about what I can get!

AssassinGnome
04-17-2011, 09:15 PM

i dont drive 30 miles like you mention but i do tend to purchase cheap games instead of buying new ones.example indiana/kung fu panda/the force unleash 1 all for 20+tax 3 good games at a good price.

janus2202
04-17-2011, 09:28 PM
I do...I'm out of work, so money is tighter than ever. There are several games I want, but simply can't afford right now. I still need my gaming fix and I still need to hear the PLOP of earning a new achievement. Cheaper/used games are my only option for now. There's always Christmas....

Snowwwwy
04-18-2011, 12:38 AM
i dont drive 30 miles like you mention but i do tend to purchase cheap games instead of buying new ones.example indiana/kung fu panda/the force unleash 1 all for 20+tax 3 good games at a good price.
I dont drive 30 miles either. Im like 10 minutes away from my closest game store.

Vigaman
04-18-2011, 02:49 AM
Yeah I like to buy more games too...but thinking about the huge backlog I still need to finish sometime hold me back from buying anymore. :/

EmporerDragon
04-18-2011, 02:50 AM

Not really. The worst condition game I've gotten from the Warehouse Deals section was a copy of Dynasty Warriors 6 that had a slight fracture on the case, but that was about it.

My only real issue with the warehouse deals section is that you can't filter by system, only publisher or price.

DENAz666
04-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Yeah I get this all the time, I also have a really bad habit of buying new games the day they are released.... whether I really want them or not :|

master_shake_350
04-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Yep!
Over the weekend I got 12 games from the bargin bin, Some of my friends don't even own that many. No I am at 207 Retails.

Muhnamana
04-18-2011, 02:33 PM
I always have the desire, although my GameStop is not 30 miles away.

But as a norm, I always keep an eye out for the Buy 2 Get 1 Free type deals and stock up my gaming collection or just drop by once in awhile and pick up a cheap, used $10 game.

Baylor05
04-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Yeah I have a GameStop less than a minute from my apartment. There have been a couple of times I've had the urge to buy easier, older games that I could max out the achievements rather than newer, better games. However, I've collected so many games I still need to play, that I don't think that urge will be coming over me again any time soon.

TheRedComet
04-18-2011, 08:27 PM
I have 4 GameStops withing 10 miles of my house. 2 within 1 mile of EACH OTHER ON THE SAME ROAD. I will buy some sub-par games on the cheap but usually only if there's some kind of deal (buy 2 used games, get 1 free) or if I have some kind of coupon through PowerUp Rewards. I still have to get some enjoyment out of game to keep playing it.

I'm not really one to buy REALLY crappy games or games that are super easy just for Achievements.

vLotus
04-19-2011, 12:49 AM
i buy games but never play em cos i get hooked on to mp!

XoreElon
04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
I used to before I took a break from my 360 to get my PS3, I had well over 100 games, most of which I traded in for the PS3 actually. Since January I have started playing my 360 again but I renamed my old GT, which was XoreElon at the time, so I could reuse it and start fresh and only play the genre that I really want to play.

Edit: Had a mild case of that on the PS3 as well and started a new ID in January as well, just wish you could rename PS3 IDs, really hate having to use a dash.

Spanish Assault
04-19-2011, 01:02 PM
It doesn't help when I get emails from Best Buy Rewards with a $10 coupon...now I HAVE to go buy a game...

Darth Swifty
04-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I always have that Urge.

Right now I am wanting to go pick up Manhunt 2, just cause I never played it. it's only $7 at Gamestop, and the one by my house has copies.....according to their website.

Saint Braeic
04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
I get the urge, but whenever I go I can never seem to find games that make sense to me.
Like when I bought Armored Core 4 for $10, I thought it was a good deal because I'd played the game before and I knew I would enjoy it.
Most of the time I'm good at controlling myself.

Fronkey
04-19-2011, 06:25 PM
I get the urge, but whenever I go I can never seem to find games that make sense to me.
Like when I bought Armored Core 4 for $10, I thought it was a good deal because I'd played the game before and I knew I would enjoy it.
Most of the time I'm good at controlling myself.

I'm the same way. I won't buy a cheap game just because it's cheap, but I've spent a few days trying to find a cheap copy of a game I really want to play.

I think it took me a week to finally get a copy of Star Wars: Force Unleashed. Got it for $7 too!

DragonsGoMOO
04-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I think it's pointless for everyone who buys all the new games or even old games and don't even play them for a long time.

If you just play the games you have now, you will buy games that has dropped in price, therefore saving money. Why not be smart about it?

Opiate42
04-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Well not to drive 30 miles, but to run over to a store on lunch or on my way home from work....yah, all too often. It's making paying down debt a bit of a trouble spot. I've fallen prey to loads of cheapo sub-$10 games, most were pretty damn fun actually.

Currently have about 10 games in my queue I haven't even played yet, cheap or not, trying not to buy any more at any price until I beat them but failing miserably. I just picked up Left 4 Dead and Enslaved over the last last week.

DragonsGoMOO
04-19-2011, 06:58 PM
I just picked up Left 4 Dead over the last week.

You will love that game. I spent so many more hours on that than any other games I have ever played. Seriously. It's amazing, especially with the right people.

I wanted to buy Portal 2 today, but I just dropped 160 bucks on my girlfriend for her birthday, so I'm gonna wait till it goes down. I've been looking for cheap games, that I can buy with loose change, but haven't seen anything good.

I always have the urge. I just don't act on it.

XxBARENxX
04-19-2011, 10:29 PM
I do this alot.I'll buy a game cheap, play it for day if that and never play it again.