PDA

View Full Version : Just lost electricity power and I was wondering...

A CorpseMess
04-17-2011, 11:03 PM
The whole street and several other places lost electricity power it seems, I was on my 360 and pc then all of a sudden everything went black.

It's happened before where I used to live and I get easily paranoid when and if it happens because, obviously your pc or console is not shut down properly when you lose electricity like that.

So I was wondering if it can break my 360 when it just shut off like that due to power loss or if it's built to withstand it in cases should it happen, which in mine it did.

I know if it turns itself on next time probably nothing happened but can it damage my 360 at all? It was turned on, then electricity was lost and boom went my tv and 360 and also pc and everything else.

I'm sure it's happened to others before and it never damaged their electronic equipment but being how paranoid I am about it, I hope there is someone who can answer my question.

A ZombieTwinkie
04-17-2011, 11:44 PM
I think as long as you have it plugged into a surge protector, you shouldn't have and problems.

In my old apartment I used to live in, the breakers would easily blow if I ran the microwave and a space heater I had during the winter. I can't count how many times a breaker blew when I was on my 360 and it cut the power off. Never had any problems.

InfamousVuk
04-18-2011, 12:13 AM
I think as long as you have it plugged into a surge protector, you shouldn't have and problems.

In my old apartment I used to live in, the breakers would easily blow if I ran the microwave and a space heater I had during the winter. I can't count how many times a breaker blew when I was on my 360 and it cut the power off. Never had any problems.

Agreed.

Sometimes tho, or if you have really dumb luck, the PSU (on PC), power brick (360) might get fried. Motherboard if you are REALLY "lucky".

Besides those, the worst you can expect is data loss for not saving before power outage.

Snowwwwy
04-18-2011, 12:20 AM
If you have a surge protector, you should be fine, if not then you might have some troubles.

GORQITO
04-18-2011, 01:30 AM
This happened to me twice last night while I was on xbox, and everything works fine. Just make sure you have a surge protector like stated before.

A CorpseMess
04-18-2011, 12:05 PM
What's a surge protector?

Damage
04-18-2011, 12:17 PM
U get extension leads with surge protection. Its basically like a trip switch, that prevents any surge in power from directly effecting you device. They are very cheap. It also sometimes smooths out small fluctuation in the current (I think).

Also I would assume that the fuse in the PSU's would blow before the actual devices, as that's what they are there for.

If you ever find an electrical device not working, check its plugged in, switched on and if it still does not work check the fuse. Everybody forgets this bit and it can save you a lot as a new fuse is <1.

KeepEmRolling
04-18-2011, 02:59 PM
I live in the country and power outages happen a few times a year for me, and I've been gaming during several of them. Usually it's just losing your data from not having saved recently with the worst thing that's happened being a corrupted save because the game was saving when I lost power. I've never had damage to any of my equipment, including the 360, from losing power.

XoreElon
04-18-2011, 04:30 PM
While everyone is partially correct, they are also incredibly wrong.

A surge protector MIGHT work depending on how long you have had the surge protector, as they can go out, usually one surge knocks them out. They will still work perfectly as a multi-outlet strip but that is it.

The worst you can expect is NOT data loss from anything you have not saved but instead the loss of ALL data on the drive. There are companies out there that can recover the data from the hard drive but depending on the size and type of the drive expect to pay at least $1,000+.

Your best bet is to buy an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). You can buy a lot of different versions for less than $100 and, depending on the model, they will regulate the electricity in the event of a power surge or the power stays on but dips below what the devices need or complete power failure. They last a varying length of time so make sure you plug your devices into and give yourself enough time to save what you are working on and shut them down.

Even then it is best to backup (i.e. copy to where you have it in more than one location) your data in case something happens. I stated what a backup is because you would not believe the number of people, even those working in the IT field who should know better, that think that a backup is just moving the data to where it is still only in one location.

I'm not sure what kind of hard drive the new 360s use as I am still using one from 2006 or 2007 but the new one uses a solid state drive then a UPS is very important as a power outage is very brutal on that type of drive.

bigbear2face
04-18-2011, 07:03 PM
I would suggest to everyone that they invest in a surge protector that also has a short term battery supply. I have one that gives me about about 30 minutes to properly shut down all electronics plugged into it in case of power outages. They range in cost from $29 (US) to over $200 for higher end models (APC makes some pretty high quality ones).

niko da bos
04-18-2011, 07:50 PM
never had any problem with electronics after a power outage, but to be fair i have only had a couple in my 21 years :P. like other people said the worst that came out of it (for me), was losing all that unsaved data :(

i thought this thread was going to be about what we do while the electricity is out. in which case my answer would of been, "sit in my room, stare at the xbox and cry"

guillermo316
04-18-2011, 08:04 PM
i think it damages your spinning disk thing but it should really be a problem. get a back up generator

Genesis x360a
04-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Its happened to me around 4-5 times since ive had my 360, each time ive not had a surge protecter and each time its been fine. Power went out, when it comes back on I turned my 360 back on and everything was fine and I was back to gaming normally no problems.

I think the only time you need to really worry is when your home gets a surge of electricity from a different power outage or from a lighting strike. How ive always looked at it, is when your power cuts out instantly without you knowing why or with no indication (Blown fuse, sockets smoking Etc) it means the grid has shut down and not from a huge power surge to your home.

wexnlex
04-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Losing power isn't the same as a power surge, but when mine goes out my 360 just lights up with Red lights and blinks then turns itself off.
I did live in an apartment with shitty 1950s wiring and it actually blew out my brick because of the surgey power.

XPL1C1T GAM3R
04-19-2011, 10:46 AM
FFS just tell him the answer WHICH IS NOOOOO!!!

XoreElon
04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
FFS just tell him the answer WHICH IS NOOOOO!!!

Except that the answer is not no, or "NOOOOO!!!" as you put it, it actually CAN damage the hard drive, maybe not the rest of it, though a power surge certainly could, but which is easier to replace, the hardware which you can just go out and buy again or all the data including ALL the saves someone has played and stored on their hard drive and spent who knows how many hours on? Oh and memory cards/USB memory sticks are actually more susceptible to data loss from power failures than the hard drives are.

It's not that difficult to do a search and see what can damage a computer which will be exactly the same thing that can damage a 360.