PDA

View Full Version : shao kahn strategies???

jasonjuk
04-18-2011, 08:03 PM
im currently fighting shao kahn with raiden in the story mode and having great trouble anyone got any strategies???

ShaolinShadow
04-18-2011, 08:07 PM
im currently fighting shao kahn with raiden in the story mode and having great trouble anyone got any strategies???

Block, Jump, Try not to spam to many of the same attacks if your gonna land a combo try not to make it to long because he tends to deflect the combos after awhile as for him tossing his spear jump or duck, Don't bother trying to cheese your way by constantly jumping because he will just end up doing a shoulder thrust in the air, Try to land an X-ray attack near the middle or the end of his health bar, Make sure you constantly switch up on the moves and combos

BlindxLink
04-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Should warn people for spoilers. I'm not that far into the game yet, so shit.

Anyway, Shao Kahn is an asshole. His Hammer throw that stuns you is annoying, and you can't block it. You'll either want to do your sweep kick move (down+B) or jump over it.

With Raiden, your best bet is to stay on the opposite side of the screen, wait for him to pose, or do his javelin throw or whatever, then do Raiden's flying move (Left, Right, B I think?)

Repeat this until dead.

Remember to just block, and watch for that hammer throw.

Shao Kahn is easily defeated when you're defense is as strong as your offense. You'll die if you focus too much on just one of those, so keep it balanced.

Hope this helps.

EnteringtheCosmos
04-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Teleport+uppercut or jump kick+uppercut, I beat him on my second try doing this method, its kinda spammy and boring but the bosses are cheap and overpowered anyway so who cares.

danksch
04-18-2011, 08:17 PM
I've had troubles with that passage as well, but I found a tactic that works like a charm - but you have to be quick and really have to master Raiden's teleport.
The key is to maintain distance to Shao kahn, because he will then start spamming his spear/hammer throws. Now, the moment he starts tossing it at you (youll eventually get the hang of when he does), immediately teleport behind him, and do raidens X,Y,X,Y (you have to be fast with the inputs, its a jab combo); escape via jump backwards or another teleport, and gain distance again; then rinse and repeat.
It does small damange to Kahn and his uberhealth, but once I got the timing, he actually never hit me.

EDIT. Or, as the post above me says, you can also uppercut him, its easier to pull off.

Dirty130
04-18-2011, 08:53 PM
I've beat the game with 22 Fighters so far and I find putting as much distance between your Fighter and Shao Khan while spamming your Fighter's projectile attack to be an easy (and sometimes Flawless) way to beat him.

When you have enough Super Meter, unleash a advanced projectile attack within the volley of normal projectiles you're already throwing at him. It really is that easy.

If your Fighter has a teleport, everytime you see Shao Khan taunt you, teleport behind him and punish with a uppercut/combo. Then jump back and spam your projectile until he taunts you again, then punish him!

Anytime you're in Shao Khan's striking range (up to 8 steps) hold block and db (down-back). When he attacks, block and punish, then jump back and spam your projectile attacks again.

This is cheap, but works and can be done on Goro and Kintaro too.

Also if you wanna beat Hidden Noob or Hidden Smoke you have to rely on the block-and-punish method. It's really the only way to beat Hidden Noob and his tele-port throw.

Hope this helps... F#cking great game!

lukemadtv
04-19-2011, 04:30 AM
Even with all the tips I'm still having trouble with him on the story mode, I must need a lot of practice with Raiden. Damn...

TAI JASON
04-19-2011, 06:39 AM
Even with all the tips I'm still having trouble with him on the story mode, I must need a lot of practice with Raiden. Damn...

Sounds stupid, but did you change the difficulty in the options for story mode to beginner? I forget this over half of the story mode...;)

lukemadtv
04-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Sounds stupid, but did you change the difficulty in the options for story mode to beginner? I forget this over half of the story mode...;)

The sad thing is that I did already change it to beginner, I guess I just need to keep trying.

TAI JASON
04-19-2011, 08:15 AM
The sad thing is that I did already change it to beginner, I guess I just need to keep trying.

I beat Shao Kahn yesterday in the first try. I always use jump kicks, jump back, jump kick and so on. I beat Goro exakt the same way. I allways wait for taunts or movement of the charakters.

Funny thing: Itīs the same way like it was in MK3/MK3 Ultimate. :)

Chaosx721
04-19-2011, 08:28 AM
You can't change the difficulty of the story mode once you've already started it, I tired and he was just as hard as he was on normal so it had no effect.

psymatiq
04-19-2011, 08:36 AM
In arcade keep going away from him til he does the 2 diffrent taunts. One of em he starts laughing that where u got the most time to get over and give him and upper cut... the other one is where he is pointing at you which gives u a short period of time to get over to him and uppercut him. This works in story mode to. In the last battle in story mode just teleport with raiden and do the uppercut when he taunts you. It works...

TAI JASON
04-19-2011, 08:36 AM
You can't change the difficulty of the story mode once you've already started it, I tired and he was just as hard as he was on normal so it had no effect.

Really? Then it was a placebo effect...i thought the game was a piece of cake after i change it in the options :rolleyes:

lukemadtv
04-19-2011, 08:49 AM
I beat Shao Kahn yesterday in the first try. I always use jump kicks, jump back, jump kick and so on. I beat Goro exakt the same way. I allways wait for taunts or movement of the charakters.

Funny thing: Itīs the same way like it was in MK3/MK3 Ultimate. :)

I guess I'll have to be more patient and take my time, but I'll probably still get a beat down, his health bar just seems so outrageous. Thanks

TheUglyCasanova
04-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Yeah wow this is ridiculous. He's even more of a cheap ass bastard than he was in UMK3. Pisses me off they just make bosses cheap instead of hard.

Edit: Nevermind that was easy with Scorpion. Just hop away until he spams spears or taunts, then do the teleport to the other side attack followed up with an uppercut and try and get away. Repeat that and it was cake.

EnfantDuSiecle
04-19-2011, 09:02 PM
I think Shang Tsung was my least favourite character

Ayx
04-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Finally beat him earlier, if you're talking about Story Mode you're going to have to do the X,Y,Y or X,Y,X,Y combo and jump over his head and hope he doesn't do that hammer attack that's all around. By 15% Do the X-Ray and you'll be fine.

Really freaking tough though, had me frustrated for a bit.

ATCS
04-19-2011, 11:26 PM
EVERYONE READ THIS:

Use DOWN, UP, to teleport behind him EVERY TIME he laughs or taunts you. You have ample time to upper cut him and back off. Just keep backing off and he will continue to taunt you.

He taunts, hit DOWN, UP to teleport, upper-cut, back off. Rinse and repeat. I just got a flawless victory against him the second time I tried this method!

TheUglyCasanova
04-20-2011, 12:03 AM
EVERYONE READ THIS:

Use DOWN, UP, to teleport behind him EVERY TIME he laughs or taunts you. You have ample time to upper cut him and back off. Just keep backing off and he will continue to taunt you.

He taunts, hit DOWN, UP to teleport, upper-cut, back off. Rinse and repeat. I just got a flawless victory against him the second time I tried this method!

That works with any character that teleports, not just the Down Up teleports. Scorpions is even better because you can get the initial hit from the teleport move and then an uppercut as well 90% of the time.

TAI JASON
04-20-2011, 06:38 AM
I never use the teleport thing, combos or specials. Shaoh Kahn is easy as hell, you donīt even lose health if you do the same trick and time him out!:

#1 donīt attack him with regular comboīs, donīt get near him until he makes a taunt!!! Donīt forget: The time is you friend!

#2 If he makes a taunt:

Taunt 1 = laughing, arms on his side. Jump to him, give him an uppercut OR (save) a normal jump kick. This drive him backwards, get you some air and time.

Taunt 2 = point his hand to you, blubbing/talking stuff. Use only jump kicks, the taunt is shorter! Be carefull! Donīt use an uppercut!

I beat him this way 3!!! times on normal. In the first fight of the story mode against him, he was very aggresive, taunt only one time. So i recommend that you stay calm and try for cooler match. Wait for his taunt phase and stay down! This protect you from his spear attack. Donīt think about to knock him out! I beat him with a time out KO on every round in every fight and you can do this too.

If you stuck in a corner try to jump over him or escape another way.

Good luck! Same goes for Goro and Kintaro. Useless fools! Give them jump kicks, you can kill Kintaro with uppercuts in a corner very fast. Donīt use uppercuts on Goro. After all MK3/Ultimate players can use the way from back in the days. :woop:

midnight1985
04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
I've beat the game with 22 Fighters so far and I find putting as much distance between your Fighter and Shao Khan while spamming your Fighter's projectile attack to be an easy (and sometimes Flawless) way to beat him.

When you have enough Super Meter, unleash a advanced projectile attack within the volley of normal projectiles you're already throwing at him. It really is that easy.

If your Fighter has a teleport, everytime you see Shao Khan taunt you, teleport behind him and punish with a uppercut/combo. Then jump back and spam your projectile until he taunts you again, then punish him!

Anytime you're in Shao Khan's striking range (up to 8 steps) hold block and db (down-back). When he attacks, block and punish, then jump back and spam your projectile attacks again.

This is cheap, but works and can be done on Goro and Kintaro too.

Also if you wanna beat Hidden Noob or Hidden Smoke you have to rely on the block-and-punish method. It's really the only way to beat Hidden Noob and his tele-port throw.

Hope this helps... F#cking great game!
Yep, I spammed Raiden's electricity ball.

AntoineDiamonds
04-20-2011, 01:19 PM
spamming Eb doesnt work at all...neither does this teleport shit...lets make a game with combos but then last boss lets make everything you do suck and everything he does epic...fuck this bullshit

TAI JASON
04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
spamming Eb doesnt work at all...neither does this teleport shit...lets make a game with combos but then last boss lets make everything you do suck and everything he does epic...fuck this bullshit

Try my way...time him out and done. Forget the professional way and go the nooby way like me. :woop:

MLG=Most Likely Gay
04-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Teleport+UppercutTeleport+UppercutTeleport+Uppercu tTeleport+UppercutTeleport+UppercutTeleport+Upperc utTeleport+UppercutTeleport+UppercutTeleport+Upper cutTeleport+UppercutTeleport+UppercutTeleport+Uppe rcutTeleport+UppercutTeleport+UppercutTeleport+Upp ercutTeleport+Uppercut

A ZombieTwinkie
04-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Surprisingly, spamming Raiden's Electric Ball worked like a charm for me. Shao Khan basically stayed at the opposite end of the screen and taunted constantly, or threw his spears. I tried a few other methods at first, and the first time I tried this one, it worked. Kind of surprised me.

TheUglyCasanova
04-22-2011, 02:25 AM
This shit is so fucking annoying trying to beat him with Lu Kang, the like weakest character ever (in design and power). Best I could do is half of one life bar by hopping away constantly then doing the long HIYA flying kick when he taunted. So fucking gay.

A ZombieTwinkie
04-22-2011, 05:36 AM
This shit is so fucking annoying trying to beat him with Lu Kang, the like weakest character ever (in design and power). Best I could do is half of one life bar by hopping away constantly then doing the long HIYA flying kick when he taunted. So fucking gay.

I only had to re-do the match with Liu Kang like 3 times. I just hung back as far as I could, then just spammed his low fireball. Away, Away :abut: I think? You can duck the spears and hammer every time. Just try to keep as much distance between you and him.

Dark Knight DC
04-22-2011, 06:44 PM
YouTube - Mortal Kombat 9 : Ch16 Defeat Shao Khan Visual Guide

Here's the strategy I used against Shao Khan but with Raiden.

Same concept I used back then though for the earlier battle.

It worked both times. ^_^

waxc3
04-23-2011, 12:03 AM
this fight is so hard for me that i quit the game completely

ShaolinShadow
04-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Shao khan gotta be the cheesiest bastard known to man, i was up to the last battle on story with raiden vs shao khan i spent 2 to 3 hours sittin there cursing and wanting to break something, i nearly called it quits, i played some rough games but this one takes the cake all this freakin guy does is spam spam spam and when you try to combo him he deflects it, so my method was jump punch uppercut back away lighting bolt x 4 and then wait go back to jump punch and upper cut and lighting bolt x4 now once you get his health almost depleted i used the x-ray attack to the point where just a tap would kill him

TheUglyCasanova
04-23-2011, 12:56 AM
FUCK THIS IS SO ANNOYING.

How the fuck do you beat him with a character that doesn't teleport? It's fucking maddening why they would make him so cheap.

Best I can do is halfway with Baraka but just spamming spark, but then he is able to whip a spear out and hit me with it regardless of the timing because it's just plain faster than my attack. :mad: Fuck this game.

Edit: Wow finally. He basically stood there blocking every spark attack until it widdled him down enough. So lame.

Jedi ObiJoe
04-23-2011, 02:41 AM
I call bull shit! Just beat him with Liu Kang. He beat the hell out of me for several rounds. Didn't even get much of a hit on him for most of them. I came here to see if there were any suggestions. I ended up spamming the Low Fireball but only because I ended up a round where he taunted every two seconds.

I guess the best suggestion is to wait it out and get him when he taunts the entire match.

Flame Sama
04-23-2011, 07:43 AM
This boss single-handedly fucked up the game for me...what a cheap piece of shit...

Midnight Malice
04-23-2011, 08:14 AM
He is actually really easy. He will usually block a lot more than advance if you just spam ranged attacks. Once he taunts, use enhanced ranged if you have it. Moving in close for an x-ray can sometimes be a bad thing.

Story mode is a bit different. He seems to advance more than block. I just used the tele and the lightning charge (whatever it is called, flying across the screen) time his moves and tele behind then fly. Took only a couple fights to get the timing down, but i didn't waste time with combos, at any moment he can stop you with a hyper armor charge combo or posssibly x-ray. Both those things usually leave you with 75% less health.

OldTymer72
04-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Are you you sure?
I've played normal up until shao khan and after about an hour I (rage)quitted and choose beginner in options, started up story again and beat him in second try - game over.

OldTymer72
04-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Really? Then it was a placebo effect...i thought the game was a piece of cake after i change it in the options :rolleyes:

same thing happened for me - maybe not a piece of cake, but it felt easier - I did change tactics though, so maybe I was just lucky.

OldTymer72
04-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I guess I'll have to be more patient and take my time, but I'll probably still get a beat down, his health bar just seems so outrageous. Thanks

i followed this advice - DO NOT look at Rayden, have your eyes on Shao Khan at all times.

Doing that i managed to teleport everytime he taunted og threw his hammer or spear at me and then uppercut to the neck. If you can do that it's pretty safe to say it's a succes. I'm not sure I did it on normal or beginner though - as stated I changed difficulty, but if it actually changed I do not know...

OldTymer72
04-23-2011, 09:40 AM

with liu i stayed close and simply spammed Y,X,A. It worked to my surprise.
Y,X,A - SHORT pause rinse and repeat, sometimes, timed correct i got combos, it kept him in the air.

XxReapaxX
04-23-2011, 11:06 AM
At first Shao Kahn seems impossible but once you get his timing down he actually becomes quite the pushover. The main difference between him and the other fights (besides him being insanely powerful) is you have to play good defense and always look for an opening.

As others have said waiting for a taunt is always a good shot but if your reactions are quick enough you can teleport and attack him when he throws spears and hammers for extra damage, just get away right after. For characters with no teleport just get as far away as possible and spam your projectiles till he taunts then move in for an uppercut, just remember to duck his spears and jump his hammer throws. This becomes especially important with characters with slower projectiles like Baraka and Jade.

I've beaten the tower, arcade with all fighters and expert with no losses and I can positively say Shao Kahn hardly changes up his pattern. On expert and a few tower challenges he's a bit more aggressive and will charge spam more if in range but the basic strategy stays the same, you just have to react quicker.