PDA

View Full Version : Beta any good?

fax5jrj
04-19-2011, 12:24 AM
I'll be honest. Gears of War 2's multiplayer was a shitstorm. I know it's just a beta, but does it give ANY incentive for me to at least give it a rent? Yeah I know the campaign will be good blah blah blah, but I'm one of those people that's looking for replayability. And Gears 2 did NOT have that.

xhunterrrr
04-19-2011, 12:25 AM
I'll be honest. Gears of War 2's multiplayer was a shitstorm. I know it's just a beta, but does it give ANY incentive for me to at least give it a rent? Yeah I know the campaign will be good blah blah blah, but I'm one of those people that's looking for replayability. And Gears 2 did NOT have that.

What were your biggest complaints about Gears 2 MP? I can almost guarantee they have been fixed. Overall, the beta is a blast to play!

Zenith94x
04-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Beta Good.

Dz06lt
04-19-2011, 12:30 AM
mutiplayer is multiplayer what more do you want

MASS DOMINATION
04-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Beta Good.

Beta real good!

vegetable lasagna
04-19-2011, 12:57 AM
mutiplayer is multiplayer what more do you want

So...?? You mean like Turning Point was a good multiplayer? Huh?

Anyways, you can tell the effort was there. Hit detection is better with only 19k people playing, or was this morning when I played it. Still very Gears 2ish, even though I prefer Gears1. But, pretty smooth, new stuff and executions are cool. The digger fucked me up a lot, but that double barrel shotty is brutal.

I can't tell if I'm rusty or not, but when I came out of a roadie run and tries to shoot before the second delay you need, my character was kinda diacombobulated for a moment.

And, I don't really like how you can get jumped over a wall and stunned.

Overall, way better than 2, but way different than 1.

fax5jrj
04-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Did they fix the shotgun at all? I never got how you could shoot someone's head off from ten feet away, but you could hit them them when they were right in front of you three times and they still wouldn't die.

Also, the controls were iffy.

vegetable lasagna
04-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Yeah. It seems much more solid. When you shoot someone it actually seems like you damage them...meaning if you close you can gib them, but from a little ways away you can see you hurt them and down them. Much better than 2, so far. I'm waiting to see what happens when there's 1.5 million people online though....

Outbreaker XXXX
04-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Shoguns are waaaaaaaaaaay over powered and mainly EVERYBODY does that bloody annoying roll shot thing other than that the beta is AWESOME!

xhunterrrr
04-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Yeah. It seems much more solid. When you shoot someone it actually seems like you damage them...meaning if you close you can gib them, but from a little ways away you can see you hurt them and down them. Much better than 2, so far. I'm waiting to see what happens when there's 1.5 million people online though....

The release version will have dedicated servers.

Baki54
04-19-2011, 01:30 AM
Shoguns are waaaaaaaaaaay over powered and mainly EVERYBODY does that bloody annoying roll shot thing other than that the beta is AWESOME!

Just when you thought Gears couldn't get any better..Can you tell me how you unlocked that skin.A Shogun with a shotgun sounds pretty badass to me:p.

kyboy
04-19-2011, 01:32 AM
ive never played any gears of war.. but this looks freakin awesome from all the videos ive seen, im def pre ordering... an if i dont like it then it wont be too hard to sell lol

vegetable lasagna
04-19-2011, 01:38 AM
The release version will have dedicated servers.

Yeah, they started adding them a tad at the end of 2. This beta has DS also.

But, remember when l4d2 came out, it was laggy as a mother fucker, so they had to upgrade and add more dedicated servers... Hence, the local server option was perfect for the first few days til the bugs were worked out Hopefully, that doesn't happen here and it's solid right out if the gates, you know?

xhunterrrr
04-19-2011, 01:41 AM
Yeah, they started adding them a tad at the end of 2. This beta has DS also.

But, remember when l4d2 came out, it was laggy as a mother fucker, so they had to upgrade and add more dedicated servers... Hence, the local server option was perfect for the first few days til the bugs were worked out Hopefully, that doesn't happen here and it's solid right out if the gates, you know?

I didn't know there were dedicated servers for the beta. I thought it was all just local hosts. Either way, the net code for hosting has been drastically improved. I haven't encountered any lag yet.

tripleb2k
04-19-2011, 02:19 AM
I like Rod's comments on twitter,

"I'm curious if over time people will stop falling back to old Gnasher habits and realize that the rifles in Gears 3 are extremely powerful"

Really? I've yet to see it. The Retro Lancer is incredibly inaccurate. By the time you get in range to actually used it, you get a shotgun to the face. Gnasher is still the best weapon in the game.

The beta is fun but Gears is still a shotgun massacre.