PDA

View Full Version : WP7 without a contract

Hitchman
04-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Quick question. . . Can I buy a windows phone 7 and not use the carriers service to play games? I.E. can I buy the phone used, and play the games over wifi without hooking the phone up to a service?

I am a verizon customer and will not change to any of the other carriers just to use this phone. I would love to buy one and just use it as a gaming handset over my wifi.

Any info would be great, since my search basicly turned up with "what phone do you have?" type of questions.

Thanks in advance

rekikire
04-20-2011, 02:01 AM
As has been discussed in other threads. Yes you don't need a contract, you don't need a SIM card.

Tyrion619
04-20-2011, 02:16 AM
You could also wait until May when Verizon finally gets a WP7.

HTC 7 Trophy

Check it out:

http://www.htc.com/www/product/7trophy/overview.html

spyder2g
04-20-2011, 02:24 AM
I just got the Samsung Focus for free when I extended my contract. All I use with it is wifi, I don't even have my sim card in it - still just using my old phone for phone stuff. I'm sure you can find one for sale on ebay or something if you can't go the route I did.

Hitchman
04-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Muhnamana
04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
This info is good to know. Might thinking about picking up a WP7 as well, just for the wifi and playing games.

MagicMurderBag7
04-20-2011, 06:01 PM
You could also wait until May when Verizon finally gets a WP7.

HTC 7 Trophy

Check it out:

http://www.htc.com/www/product/7trophy/overview.html
Don't count on it coming in May. I've been following it since it came out and every time it gets to its release date it gets pushed back another month.

It was supposed to come out in January and then got pushed to feb. and so on. Last time it was going to come out was last friday but that got pushed back to may. At this point i think i may looked for a used one to use as just a gaming device.

Worhammer
04-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Don't count on it coming in May. I've been following it since it came out and every time it gets to its release date it gets pushed back another month.

It was supposed to come out in January and then got pushed to feb. and so on. Last time it was going to come out was last friday but that got pushed back to may. At this point i think i may looked for a used one to use as just a gaming device.
As long as it comes out by the end of July, I don't care. (That's when I'm eligible for a 2yr upgrade...)

ITIGHOSTITI
07-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Good to know!!=)

Lemonlimes249
07-31-2011, 12:07 AM
It would be expensive new without a contract. But if you buy it used yes you can use it over wi-fi.

Worhammer
07-31-2011, 11:26 PM
If you have friends who have a costco membership, I got my Trophy there for $100 and it came with some Headphones, a case (crappy, I don't use it, but it was free so whatevs...) and a car charger. It's currently $150 (after $50 mail-in rebate) at the Verizon store, with no nice extras. Although the phone itself does come with some really SWEET headphones (with a mic for talking, too). So you can see why Costco is the way to go if possible. :)

H0p3sfalL
08-01-2011, 12:00 AM
It would be expensive new without a contract. But if you buy it used yes you can use it over wi-fi.

I was about to bring this up.