PDA

View Full Version : Need to know more before I buy.

AgentNorris
04-20-2011, 08:33 AM
I was thinking about getting my wife a kinect for her already kinect ready xbox. She wants the Michael Jackson dancing game.I wanted to know if the kinect and the dancing game is worth getting. I have heard mixed reviews about it,mostly from people who work at the game store. So if anybody has a kinect game like dance central i would like your honest feedback on it before I buy it. Here are some of the questions I have.

Is it slow or laggy?
Is it over sensitive to body movement?
How far or close should she stand to the tv?

Basically just looking for honest answers from users not sellers from the stores.
thanks!

Agent Aero
04-20-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm 99% sure that the Michael Jackson game uses the same body pickup motion tech thingy as Your shape: Fitness evolved, which i have. So i'm going to answer your questions based on my experience of playing YS:FE.

1) No, there's probably < 0.5 second lag. Unless i play on Xbox live then it may lag a little when a friend comes online or a notice pops up.

2) It's not over sensitive, it is pretty darn accurate and it feels pretty tight.

3) You have to stand between 6-10 feet away from Kinect, which is pretty much the same as all Kinect games. But you might be able to get away with standing a little closer, but you'll keep dropping in and out of the sensor so i wouldn't recommend it.

JeJans
04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Dance Central is spot on, if the game tells you that you´re doing wrong... you are!
And like Agent Aero says, Im pretty sure that the MJ game has the same way to track you as your shape. And i LOVE your shape, for most part is works great, and it actually puts YOU in the game. Your own picture... hmm i think i will go and buy MJ now, brb

Theratis
04-20-2011, 06:06 PM
I don't have MJ but I do have YourShape and DC, and like the above guys said, it's accurate and there's no noticable lag. The only downside to it is the space required. Having to stand 2-3 meters away from the screen with over 1 meter of free space on both sides requires some moving around, for me anyway. Other than that, it's the best money I ever spent on anything game related.
It's just a crapload of fun, no other way to describe it really. Kinect that is. I don't like Michael Jackson so won't be buying that game, can't comment on it.

So yeah, buy it. The lineup of games right now isn't that great, but I guarantee you, if you enjoy dancing or working out in anyway way or are just curious, you will not regret it.

enterjustice
04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
I absolutely recommend the Kinect, with one caveat. It isn't the games - I have Your Shape:Fitness Evolved and Dance Central, and they both are great games - but rather the constraints of where you live. I have a fairly small apartment, but it features a decent sized living room and so my wife and I are able to use the Kinect well, except that we have to move the couch and chairs whenever we wish to use it. If you get too close to the sensor, it has a hard time picking up your feet. So if you live in a micro-apartment, I don't think the Kinect will work well for you. But other than that, it's a blast. If you've ever played a Wii and enjoyed it, Kinect is 4 times better.

AgentNorris
04-22-2011, 05:42 AM
cool thank you for all the real advice now all I gotta do is visit my local gamestop and spend away.

DragonsGoMOO
04-22-2011, 06:03 AM
i LOVE your shape, for most part is works great

And imagine if someone had walked in and heard only that part.

But the Kinect is great. My mom has it, and I love playing it. Great way to stay in shape, get exercise, and feel better about yourself.

The motion catch is pretty damn good. I was actually impressed the first time I played it.

I thought it would be shitty like Wii's movements (I hate the Wii, you can never get me to play it) but it isn't anything like it. It actually responds to you way easier and better.