PDA

View Full Version : best router for xbox live wireless

muttznutz1980
04-22-2011, 11:53 PM
my current router a zyxel model really doesnt seem to get on with xbox live, isnt recognised wireless and doesnt work on a lot of games even through ethernet cable, so i wanna get just a cheap g class router for xbox live what would people suggest, preferably uk based people

JonathanT32
04-23-2011, 12:10 AM
I don't know if you've heard of the linksys router or not, but that thing is a beast... Well for me it is. You should look into to it and see if it helps you out... Heres a picture of it...

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/offerstore/Linksys.jpg

Genesis x360a
04-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Ive been using a White Netgear router for nearly 3 years now and it hasn't let me down once since buying. When my friends come round they bring there TV's and 360's with them 3-4 at a time and its handles them all like theres just one connected to it. No loss in speed at all and we have 1-2 wirless laptops running off of it also. Very good imo. Definitly recommend. Im from the UK btw.

http://www.the-pundit.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/netgear-wireless-g-router.jpg

muttznutz1980
04-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Ive been using a White Netgear router for nearly 3 years now and it hasn't let me down once since buying. When my friends come round they bring there TV's and 360's with them 3-4 at a time and its handles them all like theres just one connected to it. No loss in speed at all and we have 1-2 wirless laptops running off of it also. Very good imo. Definitly recommend. Im from the UK btw.

http://www.the-pundit.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/netgear-wireless-g-router.jpg

Is that the dg834g netgear router? And what model linksys router?

Starstrukk X360A
04-23-2011, 01:36 AM

This! I've used this brand for years and never had any trouble with it.

Genesis x360a
04-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Is that the dg834g netgear router? And what model linksys router?

No its the Wireless G WGR614 v9.

Burning Karma
04-23-2011, 05:40 AM
I don't know if you've heard of the linksys router or not, but that thing is a beast... Well for me it is. You should look into to it and see if it helps you out... Heres a picture of it...

I had many issues with my Linksys router.

I have two Netgears. Work like a charm; I definitely recommend checking their products out.

muttznutz1980
04-23-2011, 11:55 AM
No its the Wireless G WGR614 v9.

this a cable modem right? unfortunately im adsl :(

muttznutz1980
04-23-2011, 11:56 AM
I had many issues with my Linksys router.

I have two Netgears. Work like a charm; I definitely recommend checking their products out.

are you cable or adsl?

xTGMx INF3RNO
04-23-2011, 12:00 PM

Same router as i have. It runs 2 xbox's, 2 laptops and a ipod perfectly its fucking brilliant!

muttznutz1980
04-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Same router as i have. It runs 2 xbox's, 2 laptops and a ipod perfectly its fucking brilliant!

what model is it and is it adsl?

xTGMx INF3RNO
04-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Its the linksys wrt54g. ( i think ) and its cable modem. take it your adsl :/

muttznutz1980
04-23-2011, 12:08 PM
yup adsl lol

xTGMx INF3RNO
04-23-2011, 12:10 PM
hmm. It may not be the router maybe you just need to cable cable. Im pretty sure it works alot better with xbl

muttznutz1980
04-23-2011, 12:13 PM
certain games will work like peggle and bejeweled blitz, anything complicated eg gears of war 2 is a no go

HuMuRoUs
04-23-2011, 03:58 PM
I have the Virgin Media Super Hub with 50Mb, they offer some great package deals to get the 50mb aswell. Have 3 360's, 2 ps3's, 2 wii's, 3 laptops, 2 desktop computers and an ipad connected to it, obviously using another cheaper router for the comps etc but for wireless the super hub has given me no grief and worked flawlessly.

TDC333
04-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Your problem does not sound like it is your router if you can play games like Peggle and have problems with games that require a higher download rate. This means that you may need to contact your ISP and go with a faster internet package.

Just to be on the safe side, have you opened the Xbox live ports on your router? This could potentially be the problem.

Also try setting static IPs to all devices connected to your router.

Any router on the market today will work with any computers, Xboxs, iPods, etc. The main problem people have is configuration problems that won't allow the router to allow a full internet connection through.

Oh Chase
04-23-2011, 05:42 PM
I use a netgear router, and it seems to do the job.

But, it depends on the game you're playing.

Ex: Call of Duty, it'll pay off to have a great connection//Halo, not so much. Since CoD has a host in a game, so if that host has bad connection, everyone else will. I'm not sure what Halo does, but they make everything fair-er.

If that makes sense.

////i like both cod and halo, js.///

Worhammer
04-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Any router today will most likely work just fine with your console, assuming you have the settings right. Of course, if you don't know much about networking (and have no google skills) then getting the settings to work may be an issue.

I have a Linksys/Cisco E3000 & I had a moderate NAT until I spent 6 hrs one day figuring out that the problem wasn't actually my router, it was that the router and my verizon modem weren't playing nicely together.

JonathanT32
04-24-2011, 02:53 AM
When you say it only works for certain games.. What does it do when you play other games like gears of war 2? Will it not play online at all or lag like hell? Because like they said above, it could be your internet and not the router at all...

muttznutz1980
04-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Your problem does not sound like it is your router if you can play games like Peggle and have problems with games that require a higher download rate. This means that you may need to contact your ISP and go with a faster internet package.

Just to be on the safe side, have you opened the Xbox live ports on your router? This could potentially be the problem.

Also try setting static IPs to all devices connected to your router.

Any router on the market today will work with any computers, Xboxs, iPods, etc. The main problem people have is configuration problems that won't allow the router to allow a full internet connection through.

i tried opening ports on the router made no difference whatsoever, my router still not found wirelessly, in fact one router stopped working completely, i get around 6.5mb which aint bad previous address i was lucky to get 1.3 and games would connect online (through the homehub) and my ping is around 25-30 gears of war justs looks for people to join horde then times out or says my nat settings to strict but i had no joy changing them :(

Worhammer
04-26-2011, 12:02 AM
What type of router do you use? Also, what is the exact brand and model number of your modem from your DSL company?

A few quick things to try (and remember, after doing each of these you need to reboot your router and your 360):
If UPnP is on, turn it off. If it's off, turn it on.
Put your 360 in the DMZ (if you don't know how, google it.)
Static IP works, but what works better is port forwarding / DMZ by MAC address, if your router will allow. If you don't know how to find this, it's under the tab where your internet connection is on your 360.

If you have a westell modem, you need to put it into bridge mode and make your router handle the internet connection. If you have verizon with a westell, I can walk you through it. This turned out to be my problem. This could still be the issue even if your DSL is through another company, as what is happening is that even though you set port forwarding on your router, it doesn't matter because your modem is the one handling the data packets and blocking / interfering with those ports before they ever even get to your router. Thus, putting the modem into bridge mode allows the router to handle all the information between your xbox and the outside world.

muttznutz1980
05-07-2011, 03:32 AM
well got my dg834g router today and instant xbox live sorted, and gear of war hordefest has been had :)

xDEAD SHOTTYx
05-07-2011, 05:33 PM
This is what I use the D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Selectable Dual Band Draft 802.11n Gaming Router. Awesome router.

ReaptheChaos
05-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Any router thatís certified for Windows Vista or newer will work with Xbox. Make sure it says its actually certified, not just listed as compatible with Windows.

HaloVet343
05-08-2011, 05:02 AM
Microsoft actually has an approved list of routers that are guaranteed to work with xbox live. the list is on the Xbox website.

muttznutz1980
06-01-2011, 02:31 PM
so have new router netgear dg834g and it works great i can play games fine, though gears of war 2 always flashes up a message about my firewall settings is there an easy way to change these to be a little less strict on my xbox, is this to do with port forwarding?

TPF_Raiden
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
My router is a ZyXel, gets the job done, however I did encouter a problem where I would disconnect from Live every 30 minutes, to the second. Though it sorted itself out soon after. :)

niko da bos
06-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Any router today will most likely work just fine with your console, assuming you have the settings right. Of course, if you don't know much about networking (and have no google skills) then getting the settings to work may be an issue.

I have a Linksys/Cisco E3000 & I had a moderate NAT until I spent 6 hrs one day figuring out that the problem wasn't actually my router, it was that the router and my verizon modem weren't playing nicely together.

i have the same router, and lately its been acting up on me. im thinking i might have the same problem you did, because my internet works just fine. the problem is my XBL will get disconnected atleast a couple times a week, and if i dashboard back it instantly re-connects.
^^
this is very confusing to me, and i cant figure out how to solve the problem. originally the NAT was closed and our wireless was password protected, but recently i convinced my pops to drop the password. it still disconnects several times a week, and i've tried to tweak different settings on the box, as well as on the console. any suggestions would be great :/

Worhammer
06-03-2011, 04:43 AM
If you only have 1 xbox, use the DMZ. Set it by MAC address, as the xbox seems to like it better when it can find its own IP. Make sure UPnP is disabled & all 3 buttons below it are disabled. If it isn't, this will interfere with the DMZ & totally screw up your NAT. Even though UPnP will grey out the other two, they should still be disabled. Don't ask me why, but it makes a difference.

If you want to drop the password, my suggestion is to turn on MAC filtering in the wireless security section, and set broadcast SSID to off. It's never a good idea to leave your network open, cause people can leech off your net and give you crappy gaming time :P Setting MAC address filtering up will allow you to have no password, but prevent random people from connecting wirelessly to your wifi & turning off SSID broadcasting will further strengthen this idea (they can't use what they can't see, right?)

Set your MTU to 1364 (this is the lowest you can go and still have your xbox work, it'll drastically increase your ping time in some cases).

What you need to do is if you have DSL, put your modem into bridge mode and have the router do the authentication (PPPoE stuff, meaning type your username & password in the router instead of the modem itself) - if you have Verizon & a westell I can tell you how to do it, otherwise you'll have to rely on google.

Hopefully this helps. If not, your next step is to flash it to DDWRT (that's what I did :P)

robert99
06-03-2011, 07:57 AM
White Netgear router yes its good i think............