PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think achievements are getting easier?

eynotie
04-24-2011, 10:48 PM
I just wanted to see what people thought. The last 3 or 4 new arcade titles I bought have had really easy achievements. I'm starting to wonder if, overall, the average difficulty to complete a game is going down. I have bought Stacking, World of Keflings, Spare Parts, Torchlight, and Laura Croft (only one I haven't completed, but not because of difficulty). I guess it could be just a fluke, or it could be a marketing thing. I have seen discussions stating that easier achievements sell games better. Personally, I like them just a bit harder to obtain, as they feel better to get that way.

I'm not trying to complain. Sorry if I am. Easy achievements are nice, but too easy, and they're not quite as fun in my opinion.

Also, I have not played many recent retail released, so I'm not sure if something similar is going on there or not.

Anyways, like I said, it could be a random fluke, and I just bought a random string of easy games.

What do you guys think?

rekikire
04-24-2011, 11:14 PM
I think you've just bought a random string of easy games. You could just as easily have got 'Splosion Man, Bejeweled 2 and Trials HD and commented that achievements are getting harder. All 3 popular games.

eynotie
04-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Fair enough. Good point--I'm kind of leaning that way, too. But the only thing that makes me curious is that all the games I purchased are very recent. Bejeweled 2 is really old and Trials and 'Splosion man are both from 2009.

I guess I should have been more clear. I wonder if the really recent games, like under a year old, are getting easier.

1001puppys
04-24-2011, 11:46 PM
I think it depends on the game or developers. Bethsada usually has easy but time consuming achievements while games such as Mortal Kombat have achievements that could take up to 600 hours.

compared to the games of 2006 where GRAW wanted you to be the best in each leaderboard or Chromhounds / Final Fantasy XI, then yes, they have gotten easier.

Corrupt.
04-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Who is Laura Croft? She sounds hot!

DragonsGoMOO
04-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Maybe you're just buying easy games without knowing it.

Corrupt.
04-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Not at all, they are as varied game by game as ever, seems you just got lucky/unlucky! :D

Sampson
04-25-2011, 01:30 AM
On the contrary. I'm finding the achievements from the games that I'm recently getting are pretty hard, but maybe, like you suggested, it was luck.

ZackNovak
04-25-2011, 01:32 AM
No, there will easy games and there will be hard games. I saw no difference since I got my Xbox

eynotie
04-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Who is Laura Croft? She sounds hot!

Laura Croft is Lara Croft's little-known....errr....second-cousin.....ummm.....niner?

Oops.

crazy W01f 816
04-25-2011, 03:58 AM
I think it's just the games you chose. Arcade games, from my what I've seen looking over a lot of the achievement lists, have easier achievements because these games are typically short and, I'm just guessing here, small developers don't want to risk enjoyment of game because an achievement is too hard; especially so if the game needs to sell well for the company to survive.

Ghenry Perez
04-25-2011, 05:15 AM
Half and half, if you ask me.

Some games made the achievements easy on purpose. Borderlands, for example. One of the developers even said easy achievements attract more potential buyers.

But then I see Dead Rising 2 and can't believe what some of the achievement goals are asking for!

DragonsGoMOO
04-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Well, after quite some time seeing people play games and their "goals" to get the achievements, the developers have an idea of what people want: easy-hard achievements, but not impossible to unlock, unlike Seriously and all that.

So it's basically a survey, and some games may be focused on achievements driven to get buyers.

NathAttack
04-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Depends on the games you choose. I've been grabbing a bunch of new/recent/modern shmups and they're all unforgiving, hard as hell.

Strania just came out on the arcade last month or something, if you want a tough completion, grab that. ;)

Arenazombie
04-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Also had these thoughts myself once but I think you just get more experienced in games and with tthis site and TA it just feels like it has become easier.
Anyway grab Mega Man for a challenge!

Mr Bungle
04-25-2011, 10:00 AM
As people have stated already, depends on the game.

KeepEmRolling
04-25-2011, 11:49 AM
You're always going to have games that are easy and those that are hard. Madden 06 compared to Madden 11, was much easier/quicker. It just depends on the games you play.

lemonpartyfan
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
I agree. I hate getting achieves like "push start." It makes me feel like they either don't know what achievement means, or they just wants to cram more in there.

Crimson Ridley
04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I think they are getting easier, and I know why.

People are buying games based on their achievement difficulty, so developers are beginning to realise that easy achievements will sell their games, more so than the quality of the game itself.

Not all developers are doing this, such as Capcom, Cave, Square-enix, etc. They still have achievements that you do need to work at. Bethesda do have easy achievements in their games, but they are time consuming, which balances the scale.

I'll admit that I used to be part of the problem; when boosting my score, I did play Hannah Montana, Avatar, My Horse & Me 2 (This game made me give up with all those easy games, as you can see, I haven't actually completed it!) so I can't sit on my high horse and pretend that I'm above it all.

I think devlopers need to realise though, that even if they put difficult achievements into their games, people will still buy them, as the majority do enjoy the games themselves.

ChromiumDragon
04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I agree. I hate getting achieves like "push start." It makes me feel like they either don't know what achievement means, or they just wants to cram more in there.

I could be completely off the mark here, but I've read that achievements are one of the last things done in the development of a game, and they're usually considered low priority. As I understand it, some of these shit-easy achievements like this are just so they can meet a quota, or they are running out of time and just cram something in there.

You've also got things like Game Room.....They cram an achievement in there just for installing the game this way here you can't delete it from your gamercard. They know that at least *some* people are hardcore completionists and will spend money that they otherwise wouldn't have spent just so they won't have a blemish on an otherwise-perfect percentage.

(For what it's worth, I have 1000/1000 on Game Room, but it's not because I'm a completionist -- looking at my gamercard, you'll see that I absolutely love retrogames. :))

1001puppys
04-25-2011, 02:53 PM
TO the above post, I believe that is why some games do have achievements for "Push Start," so, like the simpsons game, if you hate it you will still have to play it to the finish.

I don't mind easy achievements such as beat this and that in the campaign, or 250 kills online, but some can get ridiculous.

Hard to the Core was the hardest achievement I have gotten in months, but the game was soo good that I went for it. I hate games that just add "Press Start" so you HAVE to play it whether you like it or not.

Kaiyo
04-25-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm recently getting games that have easier achievements like MvC3, UFC 2009, UFC 2010 and Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2.

Illicit
04-25-2011, 04:13 PM
But then I see Dead Rising 2 and can't believe what some of the achievement goals are asking for!

Dead Rising 2 looks worse than it is, it's really not that bad (there's 2 multiplayer achievements I didn't bother with and the co-op campaign one that for some reason didn't pop for me, but the single player list is just time consuming, not really difficult at all).

dwmacfar2
04-25-2011, 04:17 PM
It's still a mix, though most games seem to be a little bit easier. However, as an owner of Mortal Kombat, I can guarentee not all games are getting easier. Promise you that much...

Crimson Ridley
04-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Dead Rising 2 looks worse than it is, it's really not that bad (there's 2 multiplayer achievements I didn't bother with and the co-op campaign one that for some reason didn't pop for me, but the single player list is just time consuming, not really difficult at all).

Which surprised me about Capcom actually, considering it's predecessor gained a level of fame due to the likes of Saint, 5 & 7 Day Survivor, etc.

Illicit
04-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Which surprised me about Capcom actually, considering it's predecessor gained a level of fame due to the likes of Saint, 5 & 7 Day Survivor, etc.

Yeah those were rough, never did get those on my other tag, I tried for the Saint one for way too long and finally gave up. I'll have to go back and try again on this tag when I get some extra time...might be a while.

I'm glad they improved the survivor AI in DR2. They were so stupid in the first one.

Marcel U2
04-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Depends on the game. I think its balanced