PDA

View Full Version : List of PSN and XBL outages

ianke_2002
04-26-2011, 06:06 AM
I'm not trying to start a debate here...so please no fanboy-isms...i would just like if someone could cliarify to me the times (and lengths) that both services have been down for in the past (as well as this recent PSN outage)

Tyrion619
04-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Does such a list even exist?

Don't know if anyone here would know ALL that info.

If they do, I'll tip my hat to them....then tell them to get a life. Lol. ;)

ReaptheChaos
04-26-2011, 06:20 AM
If youíre looking for specific dates and times, I have no clue. I know from my personal experience that xbox live goes down very seldom. I know my internet goes down now and then, but as far as signing on and logging into xbox live and having it tell me its down, or cant connect, thatís happened maybe once or twice in the three years Iíve had live.

OceanH
04-26-2011, 06:58 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/30/xbox-live-has-had-a-rough-holiday/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/xbox-live-outage-day-13-still-up-and-down-still-preventing-fu/

The whole Holidays 2007 (2 weeks). Not entirely down though. Could just google "xbox live outage".

scarface
04-26-2011, 07:23 AM
I think that the PSN has been down for 3 or 4 days now.

Gackt
04-26-2011, 02:16 PM
I think that the PSN has been down for 3 or 4 days now.

PSN keeps getting hacked, thats why lol. Although one of the times it happened the group responsible apologized saying they didnt want to effect the players :D

Mr Bungle
04-26-2011, 02:47 PM
PSN keeps getting hacked, thats why lol. Although one of the times it happened the group responsible apologized saying they didnt want to effect the players :D

I thought after the whole "Geohot" thing they were going to put their heads down and make the PS3 unhackable?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hotz#Hacking_the_PlayStation_3

StillTIPPIN187
04-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Lol. PSN isn't down now because its been hacked. Thats just lies.

There was a custom firmware for JB consoles that unlocked dev. console and allowed fake card details to access the entire market content for free.

They are now rebuilding the entire network to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Psn security is just a joke.

Jimbo76
04-26-2011, 03:35 PM
The PSN has been down since last Wednesday night, nearly a week now. although you can still access the internet via the browser. and someone said you can also update games, but I cannot confirm that.

GR4V1G0R3
04-26-2011, 04:59 PM
i can confirm that title updates are working on PS3, my mate put a fresh game into his fresh console and spent an hour downloading the 1.7Gb update for bad company 2.

he's still pretty pissed off at the moment though, he can't transfer any data from his old machine until PSN is back up.

i'm shocked at how sony has dealt with this tbh, i would have thought that while they rebuild PSN, they could put the old one back so their customers can actually use their service... now i know the "it's free" bullshit was going round, but it's not for the free members i'm talking, the PSN+ members who pay like we do

are sony going to do like MS and give those members a gift...i doubt it.

i have no idea why sony appeared to have no contingency plan for this, any sensible company would have, and i can't believe how difficult it is for the customers to get an answer from sony, who after nearly a week still haven't been able to tell them if the "hacker" managed to get access to the CC details of the accounts

now this isn't hard to do, check the server log, it says what files were transfered..... nothing more technical than searching the log for the file names that contain sensitive information

Now, to me it looks like sony are either :-
A) Technologically illiterate (hmmm, unlikely methinks)
B) Lying bastards
C) Both

hopefully this time they will bring otherOS back to the PS3, and NOT claim their system is unhackable... and specially not try to get laws changed so that they can prosecute anyone who looks at hacks for other interests

my ps3 is staying unused until i can jailbreak it, my mate is on his 4th ps3 now, due to low grade blu-ray drives (i learned my lesson from PS1 [had 4] & PS2 [had 3] & PSP [but the whole thing was shit, so i only had 1], sony dont do good disc drives) i'm gonna use the drive as little as possible

ME5HUGGAH
04-27-2011, 03:55 AM
http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=2356

zippy100012
04-27-2011, 09:36 AM
LOL PS3 SUCKS !!!1111!!!!eleven!one!

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
whats the big deal if the psn has been down a week. i still think they have the right frame of mind over microsoft in letting people play online for free.

just a shame that when it released it was too much money to part with over the xbox and im reluctant to switch now

gamerguy69
04-27-2011, 11:34 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/30/xbox-live-has-had-a-rough-holiday/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/xbox-live-outage-day-13-still-up-and-down-still-preventing-fu/

The whole Holidays 2007 (2 weeks). Not entirely down though. Could just google "xbox live outage".

I remember the 2007 "outage" -- if you can even call it that. I was able to log-in. Connecting to games was slow although private chats (this was pre-NXE) and messaging were ok.

I don't recall it being an entire 2 weeks :confused: I suppose people who rely on XBL for their total entertainment 24/7 could speak to that better than I can. I recall a couple of evenings between Christmas (new subscribers) and New Years.

Other occasions it has gone down for an entire 24 hour period BUT those were scheduled maintenance periods where we had a week or more notice beforehand. We knew the very HOUR that it would shutdown and from following the blog posts from MS -- the HOUR that it was coming back online.

hydrosugar
04-27-2011, 11:42 AM
unlike the rest of the world most of my friends have a ps3, so its funny to laugh at them and their networks failure

as for 360 server closure's, i have no clue. ive only had a 360 for a little over a year, and i havent really used live much either so if its happened at all it would of by passed me

TuM Predator
04-27-2011, 11:10 PM
whats the big deal if the psn has been down a week. i still think they have the right frame of mind over microsoft in letting people play online for free.

just a shame that when it released it was too much money to part with over the xbox and im reluctant to switch now

i would rather pay for something that is safe and secure instead of getting my details stolen..

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
04-27-2011, 11:14 PM
i would rather pay for something that is safe and secure instead of getting my details stolen..

paying for live has no impact on whether it is safe and secure.

TuM Predator
04-27-2011, 11:16 PM
paying for live has no impact on whether it is safe and secure.

did i say it did? i said i woud rather pay for something that is safe and secure.. where in that sentance did i say paying for live makes is safe and secure..

XXX DARK HADO XXX
04-27-2011, 11:30 PM
did i say it did? i said i woud rather pay for something that is safe and secure.. where in that sentance did i say paying for live makes is safe and secure..
The irony!

I can say I've been on live for about 3 years now and only experienced an outage once. It was nice that Microsoft gave us a free game due to the outage, even it was Undertow:(. I've also been on psn for around 2 years and haven't had any problems until now. Either way you look at it, it could happen to either service at any time regardless of pay or non pay.

StillTIPPIN187
04-28-2011, 12:42 AM

Agreed.

The way sony has handled this is just ridiculous, Ppl should have been told about their sensitive info as soon as they found out the system had been breached.

Psn is a joke.

Idk why ppl dont just use the ps3 for offline SCEA exclusives only and the xbox for online Multiplatform titles and the 2-3 good MS exclusives..

Multiplats on the ps3 are crap from the port from 360, you get washed out colors and textures and a .3 second lag in frame rate.. as to why ppl put xbox developed garbage in their ps3's is beyond me!

Shop smart kids! You get what you pay for, and in this case, you get important sensitive info accessed from outside sources for trying to make use of a "free" service, Funny thing is, this same information has always been able to be accessed through a dev unit signing into psn!

psn is a joke.. along with sony most "secure" system.. isn't so secure now is it?

GORQITO
04-28-2011, 03:35 AM
I wonder if this is the reason I saw a guy trade in his PS3 (and Wii) at Gamestop for a 360 slim... :P

Worhammer
04-28-2011, 04:06 AM

You get what you pay for.

And I'll pay to keep out all the little screaming kiddies whose parents are too cheap to pay for XBL. Even if that's just 1% of the kiddies (Yes, there are still way too many) that's 1% less that I have to listen to screaming in my ear when I pwn them in Reach or MK.

Burning Karma
04-28-2011, 04:14 AM
The big deal is that people's information, including credit card info, has been compromised. You know, stuff you'd probably want to make sure is secure and whatnot.

Superbad325
04-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Agreed.

The way sony has handled this is just ridiculous, Ppl should have been told about their sensitive info as soon as they found out the system had been breached.

Psn is a joke.

Idk why ppl dont just use the ps3 for offline SCEA exclusives only and the xbox for online Multiplatform titles and the 2-3 good MS exclusives..

Multiplats on the ps3 are crap from the port from 360, you get washed out colors and textures and a .3 second lag in frame rate.. as to why ppl put xbox developed garbage in their ps3's is beyond me!

Shop smart kids! You get what you pay for, and in this case, you get important sensitive info accessed from outside sources for trying to make use of a "free" service, Funny thing is, this same information has always been able to be accessed through a dev unit signing into psn!

psn is a joke.. along with sony most "secure" system.. isn't so secure now is it?

I agree with you 100%.

I personally own a PS3 and I find it absolutely ridiculous. Xbox Live is infinitely better than the PSN and I speak with no bias as I own and love both the Xbox and the Playstation brands.

They better fix this bullsh*t. I'm just hoping my CC info wasn't compromised.

You get what you pay for. PS3 (exclusive) fanboys should NOT have the right use the free online service in an argument as a so-called "advantage" over the 360.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
04-28-2011, 03:32 PM
The irony!

I can say I've been on live for about 3 years now and only experienced an outage once. It was nice that Microsoft gave us a free game due to the outage, even it was Undertow:(. I've also been on psn for around 2 years and haven't had any problems until now. Either way you look at it, it could happen to either service at any time regardless of pay or non pay.

yeah i never had any problems with psn. i got rid of my ps3 like afew months ago because it really wasnt being used compared to the xbox, mainly because i had a few years head start on the xbox and i felt i had invested more time in the achievements and whatnot to really get into the ps3. had some good exclusives but apart from that i barely used it.

so it went down. it happens. There is nothing stopping our credit card details and whatnot on xbox live being messed about with. The fact we pay for live doesn't mean that everything on it is secure. Or that the service is any better. when i played the ps3 the only problem i had was that download speeds were really slow.

i just dont get why tons of people seem to think its a victory that they have live just because the psn went down.

TakahashiDemon
04-28-2011, 05:56 PM
I wonder if this is the reason I saw a guy trade in his PS3 (and Wii) at Gamestop for a 360 slim... :P

Probably is.. Gamestation are doing ads like these..

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227121_220479221300635_100000156752255_1063938_821 6460_n.jpg

Kaiyo
04-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Darn, its been confirmed that PSN was hacked and alot of accounts got screwed. I hope my PSN account is not screwed.....

Opiate42
04-28-2011, 06:43 PM
I thought after the whole "Geohot" thing they were going to put their heads down and make the PS3 unhackable?

"Work in progress"?

That Gamestation poster made me chuckle.