PDA

View Full Version : Hulu Plus Reportedly Coming to Xbox 360 'this Friday'

QuiCkz AleX
04-27-2011, 09:31 AM
TV-streaming service Hulu Plus will launch on Xbox Live this Friday, April 29, according to reports from the Official Xbox Magazine, via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/26/rumor-hulu-plus-available-on-xbox-april-29/).

According to scans from the magazine, Microsoft will kick off this Friday's launch with a contest that'll run for the next month, dishing out prizes at random to lucky Hulu Plus users.

All this has yet to be officially confirmed by Microsoft, so take it with a pinch of salt for now. We'll be watching Xbox Live this Friday to see if anything actually materializes.

gamerguy69
04-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Well I was about to cancel/suspend my Hulu+ in anticipation of an "official" announcement at E3 perhaps. This is good news though. I'm enjoying the service thru my PC but would really like it on TV and I don't have any of the other compatible devices right now.

Scheduled charge was coming in 2 weeks. I started with 2 weeks FREE - thru a referral. Going to keep it for this launch month.

ManCowBear
04-28-2011, 03:31 AM
You can get a month free of Hulu Plus if you use a .edu account

Starstrukk X360A
04-28-2011, 03:59 AM
Hulu Plus doesn't really seem all that appealing to me. If they have some sort of trial I can check out then I'll definitely see if I can't change my mind about it.

Worhammer
04-28-2011, 04:03 AM
Hulu Plus doesn't really seem all that appealing to me. If they have some sort of trial I can check out then I'll definitely see if I can't change my mind about it.
Yeah, I don't know about hulu+ but before they had that, the old Hulu wasn't all that great. Like Netflix instant, but way lamer.

Now if MS got a deal goin with Crunchyroll, THAT would be something to talk about.....

XXX DARK HADO XXX
04-28-2011, 04:06 AM

Thank you! Just signed up with my college E-mail for a month free. Now lets just hope it actually comes out tomorrow, lol.

Burning Karma
04-28-2011, 04:10 AM
Whoa whoa, really? I need to look into this.

FFFreak1129
04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Eh its not something I would use. I don't watch tv anymore because theres too much crap on there imo.

Kaiyo
04-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Now if MS got a deal goin with Crunchyroll, THAT would be something to talk about.....

Now thats something to be talking about.... :D

gamerguy69
04-28-2011, 06:49 PM
From Major Nelson's twitter this morning:

We're launching @Hulu (http://twitter.com/Hulu) Plus on Xbox LIVE tomorrow with a free preview for all Xbox LIVE members http://mjr.mn/iUUTqx

ALL = I'm pretty sure this is U.S. only.

gazmaster1
04-28-2011, 07:47 PM
can any one clarify this is US only please. I know its only an american service currently due to copyrights restrictions but going on what major nelson said it may be expanding. any news would be appriciated or i could wait a few hours and find out myself i guess.

Tyrion619
04-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Doesn't really appeal to me that much unless we'll be able to view non-subscription videos as well.

I'm not paying for it.

B0seiju
04-28-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm interested in an European form. Though my hopes aren't that high :(. It would be awesome though.

Twisted Renegad
04-29-2011, 02:24 AM
we got an email from corporate at my work that said it was tom. so id say yes

Dante5380
04-29-2011, 03:15 AM
US only? Crap, the Belgian ppl are left out again, nobody thinks of us, even tho we have the best beers, chocolate & french fries in the world (they're Belgian btw) ;(

DelTrigger
04-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Very excited to finally get to use it on my 360.

brickfungus
04-29-2011, 04:14 PM
ok, 6 of the 9 shows i liked are "web only" WTF is up with that?

branishere
04-29-2011, 04:56 PM
fml why does the usa got everything!

EliteShadowMan
04-29-2011, 04:58 PM
GRRRR! why is all the anime Web based only except for the ones they're missing 40004040+ episodes of? stupid. After my free trial i don't see myself using Hulu+ at all, and to think i was excited for it. Psshh.

ZackNovak
04-29-2011, 05:09 PM
I did not like Hulu Plus whatsoever, if you have a Video OnDemand service, like from Comcast, then this is pointless.

scifi riot
04-29-2011, 05:26 PM
you can get a free trial of the Plus service if you go to Hulu.com. You don't have to have an email with .edu.

That being said, I started my trail of the Hulu Plus service. And I am really annoyed that for $8 every month there are still commercials that CANNOT be skipped. like two or three 30-45 second adds in a 30 minute show. Seems like a lot of crap I can't get past for a paid subscription.

Kaiyo
04-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Didn't liked it on my 360....
Why all the good stuff on Hulu web based? :C

NAG Fuji
04-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Im not a big fan of hulu...they should get youtube lol

Ice Car
04-29-2011, 06:02 PM
I saw this on Escapist a while ago. I'm not very excited about it.

brickfungus
04-29-2011, 06:46 PM
I did not like Hulu Plus whatsoever, if you have a Video OnDemand service, like from Comcast, then this is pointless.

comcast = $100/month
hulu = $8/month

if hulu had all the shows i wanted and weren't all freaking "web only" then i would switch in a heartbeat.

Bill IV
04-29-2011, 09:06 PM
I have OnDemand so for me this is lame.

gamerguy69
04-29-2011, 10:24 PM
you can get a free trial of the Plus service if you go to Hulu.com. You don't have to have an email with .edu.

That being said, I started my trail of the Hulu Plus service. And I am really annoyed that for $8 every month there are still commercials that CANNOT be skipped. like two or three 30-45 second adds in a 30 minute show. Seems like a lot of crap I can't get past for a paid subscription.

I signed up in March thru a referral link and got 2 weeks FREE which in actuality was billed right away @ $4.xx. See how my 2 weeks "FREE" was worked into that amount? I'm a happy customer as of now. :)

Next week will be my 2nd full month payment. I like that I'm NOT tied into a contract but can just suspend/cancel my service as needed. Similar to what I did with Netflix a couple of years back.

I really don't mind the ads at all. They still work out to "limited" interruptions and not like watching the regular commercial broadcasts -- and I get an entire season not just the last 5 episodes.

jules the great
04-29-2011, 11:35 PM
ok, 6 of the 9 shows i liked are "web only" WTF is up with that?

ok ok yes some one explain THIS to me. I wanted to watch all those Naruto Shippuden episodes in english and I cant because it says web only?! WTF? They why the hell would you even put it up on the xbox 360 site damnit!

gamerguy69
04-30-2011, 12:25 AM
ok ok yes some one explain THIS to me. I wanted to watch all those Naruto Shippuden episodes in english and I cant because it says web only?! WTF? They why the hell would you even put it up on the xbox 360 site damnit!

I noticed that too but it is listed under Popular Shows so that is why it shows up on the 360. There are licensing issues and restrictions that don't allow them to make that available on TV -- thru your linked device (Xbox).

Your paid sub. still allows you to watch those eps. on PC. Isn't that worth it? :confused:

In addition to my paid sub. that was already ongoing, I was able to link a Silver account to a new Hulu+ account and it required NO credit card to sign up for the 1 week trial.

Burning Karma
04-30-2011, 02:20 AM
fml why does the usa got everything!
Tell me, where is Microsoft located at?

Worhammer
04-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Hulu - Lots of TV shows. Many of them only available on your PC. A few movies, but most are just crap. $8, 1-2 minutes of commercial per 30 minutes.

Netflix - Lots of TV shows, though not the NEWEST (must wait until about a month after they're released on DVD). Everything available on the PC is also available on your 360. Tons of movies. Lots of really good ones. Also $8, but no commercials.

Which one do I choose? Seems pretty friggin obvious to me. Really disappointed, hulu. Really disappointed. If netflix can go commercial free, so can you.

Though I will say one thing. Their buffering works WAY better than netflix's. With netflix, I usually buffer once or twice a show, with hulu I never did once. Still, given the vast difference in selection, still going to stay with netflix.

gamerguy69
04-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Hulu - Lots of TV shows. Many of them only available on your PC. A few movies, but most are just crap. $8, 1-2 minutes of commercial per 30 minutes.

Here's the deal with Hulu+, the shows I like to watch are not even available on Netflix but other "comparable" services such as Amazon Instant Video and iTunes for single episode purchase/rental.

For example, to watch Parenthood (NBC), I can either get Hulu+ @ $7.99/mo. or pay for individual episodes -- 22 in the current full season. Price for each is about $2 - $3 on iTunes, Amazon ....even Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace charges about 160 MS pts. -- even more for the HD versions.

PaperThinWalls
04-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Does anyone know if you can watch the Criterion Collection titles on the 360?

gamerguy69
05-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Does anyone know if you can watch the Criterion Collection titles on the 360?

Yes you can.

Worhammer
05-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Here's the deal with Hulu+, the shows I like to watch are not even available on Netflix but other "comparable" services such as Amazon Instant Video and iTunes for single episode purchase/rental.

For example, to watch Parenthood (NBC), I can either get Hulu+ @ $7.99/mo. or pay for individual episodes -- 22 in the current full season. Price for each is about $2 - $3 on iTunes, Amazon ....even Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace charges about 160 MS pts. -- even more for the HD versions.
Lots of sites on the internet have the TV shows that netflix doesn't. For free. Without commercials.

Baylor05
05-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm already a Netflix subscriber and will soon be a Hulu subscriber. I don't care if there are other sites where I can get shows for free before they get on Netflix. I will glady pay another $8 a month for HD access to shows a day after they air with far fewer commercials interruptions. Combined with my Netflix subscription that's still under $20/month. Even with promotional discounts you can't get satelite or cable for that little.

With Xbox also having ESPN3 streaming, and my $30 HD antenna for free access to my local channels I will probably never buy cable or satelite again.

DTF INFERNO
05-02-2011, 06:57 PM
It may just be my extremely slow internet connection, but Hulu plus seems to continually stop buffer, play a few seconds, then buffer some more.

Why can't it stream the way netflix does? (Load a large portion to start, the load as you watch).

Baylor05
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
It may just be my extremely slow internet connection, but Hulu plus seems to continually stop buffer, play a few seconds, then buffer some more.

Why can't it stream the way netflix does? (Load a large portion to start, the load as you watch).

It's your internet connection. I've been playing Hulu a lot this past weekend and I never ran into this problem. In fact, for me, the connect was stronger than the one I get with Netflix.

DTF INFERNO
05-02-2011, 09:18 PM
It's your internet connection. I've been playing Hulu a lot this past weekend and I never ran into this problem. In fact, for me, the connect was stronger than the one I get with Netflix.

Damn. I wish they would just make it work the way Netflix does. I'm very limited on my DSL speed, due to living in a rural area.

Worhammer
05-02-2011, 10:35 PM
This. Better than netflix for me.

Turkeyshoot37
05-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Saw it, thought about it but then decided it's not for me. I don't have any TV shows that I really need to watch like I used to (not since LOST ended), I'm willing to wait to watch on Netflix. Considering how little I'd use it, the extra fee for that ain't gonna happen. Ha.

Burning Karma
05-03-2011, 02:28 AM

This. Better than netflix for me.
Same here. I was really impressed by the quality of the video.

Tufty
05-03-2011, 03:02 AM
I don't really have any need for it to come to the Xbox since my TV is also my monitor, but is there any way to get Hulu in the UK on my PC?

xshadowscreamx
05-03-2011, 03:58 AM
rejoice. movies for everyone.