PDA

View Full Version : We thought we were safe..

Nozza XBA
04-27-2011, 10:48 AM
So as we laugh at what's happening to PSN, XBL gets a little kick in the teeth.

Just as you thought it was safe to go onto Xbox Live after the problems with PS3, it looks like there may be a small problem.

Microsoft has issued a service alert for users of Xbox Live. According to the Xbox Live Status page on Xbox.com, “Users may receive potential fishing attempts via title specific messaging while playing Modern Warfare 2.”

“We are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience.”

Xbox Live, Xbox Live Marketplace and Account systems are all reported on the support site as working normally.

It seems to us that all game companies will be on high alert after the PSN outage.

Xbox.com Service Alert - http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/Pages/xbox-live/xbox-live-status.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

Bleeding Star
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Thats hardly the same as what is happening on the PSN, this is not going to shut down XBLive

CyanideSpirit
04-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Well it's good I stopped playing that crap game a while ago, I just hope it doesn't get more serious.

Nozza XBA
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Thats hardly the same as what is happening on the PSN, this is not going to shut down XBLive

I know that... But its worth warning people!

But you never know, one thing always leads to another.

Deadly Moves
04-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Phishing scams through xbl messages and the whole PSN being hacked are 2 very different things.

I know that its a possiblity that XBL could have the same problem the PS3 is having atm some day. But its alot less likely. One of the benefits of paying for the serice is that some of that money will go into securing it. I also never pay for my memberships using my debit card, only ms points. Thats bcos i can easiley delete my card details through xbox.com. Whereas if you use your debit card to buy XBL membership, you have to ring up MS to get your details removed..

Virgin
04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
So what does actually mean, has the system been breached meaning that the messages themselves are harmful or just that they contain dangerous links?

Mr Bungle
04-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Modern Warfare 2 just seems to be a magnet for hackers. Ha.

JDMBO1
04-27-2011, 11:43 AM
I am thinking it's all Infinity Wards doing

sabotage y'all

Fabioo
04-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Can't compare phishing attempts to hacking a whole online network.

Pootcrum
04-27-2011, 11:52 AM
So what does actually mean, has the system been breached meaning that the messages themselves are harmful or just that they contain dangerous links?

Don't know for certain but I would guess that not even that. Just seemingly harmless messages trying to dig out pieces of info such as your location, age, maybe name, email addresses, stuff like that.

Spanish Assault
04-27-2011, 12:46 PM
agreed...if anything this is natural selection. If you are dumb enough to fall for a pshing scam, then you deserve to be robbed blind.

NathAttack
04-27-2011, 04:18 PM
But we are safe. This will only affect you if you lack the mental capacity to avoid phishing/sending your password to someone else on XBL. Like the above poster said, if you fall for that, too bad and maybe you'll be a bit smarter next time.

Genesis x360a
04-27-2011, 04:34 PM
agreed...if anything this is natural selection. If you are dumb enough to fall for a pshing scam, then you deserve to be robbed blind.

^^ This.

Scams like this happen all the time on the most popular games and if your stupid enough to fall for it then you deserve to be scammed. Microsoft are just covering there arses after whats happened to PSN. MW2 has been riddled with shit since its release, this comes as no suprise if im honest.

Kaiyo
04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Modern Warfare 2 is a hackfest broken game and I stopped playing it when the game began to break... I only need 1 achievement out of that game and its a Spec-Ops achievement...

Carbon-Q
04-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Compared to what 77 million potential CC details being stolen. Ild settle for a spot of phishing. Least it's your fault if you get duped then!

balance13
04-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Hasn't MW2 always had the chance that somebody would hack your account/information from it?

Schism
04-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Hasn't MW2 always had the chance that somebody would hack your account/information from it?

yeah. never really a message. Usually a voice message from a bitch ass little kid. "listen..if you just let me recover your account since you dont have paypal I will do it for you" <--You know how many kids probably fell for that shit?? Think about it..and think about every annoying kid you have ever come across on Live..think what answer they would choose xD THINK!!!!

fuckin paypal.
If i had a dollar for every time I heard a little kid say the words "payPal" on Mw2 I could probably buy the damn game again..and the dlc. . ....

more worried about my identity getting uber-hacked over PSN. But thanks for the info anyway :D I kinda like my identity... </3

spyder2g
04-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Everybody's worried over nothing. I was playing yesterday and this Russian dude told me if I gave him my CC# and address he would come over and max out all my stuff and unlock all the achievements for me all online and totally legit. I left my house key under the mat like he said to do and when I get up tomorrow I'll be all set bitches!!!!

Agent Aero
04-27-2011, 11:01 PM
A few phishing messages being sent out doesn't really compare to a whole online service of nearly 80 million people, being rendered unusuable.

dakisbac
04-27-2011, 11:07 PM
A few phishing messages being sent out doesn't really compare to a whole online service of nearly 80 million people, being rendered unusuable.

Exactly. The PSN issue affects everyone and it happened regardless of how cautious the users were. This issue affects a subset (the idiots) of a subset (MW2 gamers) of all XBL users and will be a direct result of the user's own stupidity if anything happens. Not even in the same league, so no, we're still safe and I'm still laughing.

MagicMurderBag7
04-28-2011, 12:17 AM
How is this news? Ever since i've been a member of Live i get a message every once in a while of someone wanting me to give my info to get free MSP and i even got one once from a guy who told me that for 1600 MSP he would recover my GT on his console and get my Halo rank up to 50. He wanted me to pay him to steal my credit info lol.

KillerChris8814
04-28-2011, 12:38 AM
How is this news? Ever since i've been a member of Live i get a message every once in a while of someone wanting me to give my info to get free MSP and i even got one once from a guy who told me that for 1600 MSP he would recover my GT on his console and get my Halo rank up to 50. He wanted me to pay him to steal my credit info lol.

Now that is just an epic scam when he gets people to fall for it. Really he has people pay him to steal from them, I can think of no better scam.

l Absolution l
04-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Modern Warfare 2 has been LIVE's main breeding ground for dregs for awhile now. It's no surprise really.

Worhammer
04-28-2011, 04:09 AM
QFT.

Phishing in no way affects anything other than idiots. Doesn't affect my service, couldn't if the people doing it wanted to. I'm not dumb enough to send my password to some idiot offering a new title update, or a 10th prestige lobby, or what the heck ever they're giving out.

xxxANTNEExxx
04-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Phishing or Hacked service. I'll go with Phishing. Like the many people above me have said if you're dumb enough to give Jo-Blow your info then you deserve what ever happens to you.;)

http://www.polls.newsvine.com/_vine/images/users/nws/wbenedetti/6544649.jpghttp://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/ohsonyp1.gif

DaChiefOfOwnage
04-29-2011, 12:31 AM
I've noticed how it's always a faggy ass little kid that sends me those 10th lobby messages on LIVE. I guess after they're done getting molested by their parents they go to work scamming idiots.

AKfoy0face
04-29-2011, 06:59 AM
I love how some people make something so small seem sooooooo big. lmao

hydrosugar
04-29-2011, 08:51 AM
hahaha MW2 fails in general

Burnout x360a
04-29-2011, 09:04 AM
It's just one game and we all knew that game had hacking/security issues for quite some time.

This =/= what's happening to PSN.

Though only ones affected are those with no common sense or all the silly young kids that play it (A lot.)

FFFreak1129
04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
This isn't something new. This has been around for a while where people ask you for info. Just ignore it and you'll be fine. Its nothing compared to what PSN is dealing with right now.

Beefdagreat
04-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Yea I keep getting so many messages, I just ignored and deleted them all ;)

Smegger
04-30-2011, 10:29 AM
It is interesting to watch all the big companies go protective, but people trying to trick people into giving out their details is not new. But you can't blame microsoft for attempting to cover their ass.

STARBUCK5
05-01-2011, 01:18 AM
You are an ass whole. Hope your family, friends and anything you have ever loved gets fucking murderd in terrible, TERRIBLE ways <3

DragonsGoMOO
05-01-2011, 01:23 AM
You are an ass whole. Hope your family, friends and anything you have ever loved gets fucking murderd in terrible, TERRIBLE ways <3

Why not?
He has a valid point.
If you actually give out your information to a random stranger in order to rank up your profile or to get free MS points, then not only are you cheating, you're being stupid by actually believing the stranger.

A smart person would not give any information out to someone he or she doesn't know.

Annalie
05-01-2011, 02:11 AM

How can you say that to someone? especially when they aren't even talking to you. unless you fall into the catagory of not so smart people who gave away thier info for some MS points...

spyder2g
05-01-2011, 03:01 AM

Damn man hittin' hard! Goin' with the "ass whole" is great! Don't wanna throw out some "half assed" shit I guess. :p

aksuma
05-01-2011, 05:54 AM
ill deffinatly take phishing over hacking of my cc any day