PDA

View Full Version : good game?

CriscoDisco878
07-01-2007, 09:36 PM
hey guys is this a good game or is just for achievements?

Fruhmann360
07-01-2007, 10:51 PM
not a cakewalk. i'm confused about how level transitions work and how side missions work...either this game it not well thought out or there is some information i must be overlooking.

Shaaady Souljah
07-02-2007, 05:08 AM
its a disney game. a family/kids game.

i am guessing its not going to be too in-depth. ;) keep realistic expectations.

housemdfan
07-02-2007, 05:11 AM
Actually Shaaady I just wrote a review for it, and I have found it to be harder than some would think. Here it is:

Ratatouille, (rat a too ee) by Pixar and Disney is said to be one of the best animated movies in five years. And with every new Pixar/Disney game comes a video game to accompany its release into theaters. Pirates of the Caribbean has one, Cars has one, Meet the Robinsons has one, and now Ratatouille.

To know what the game is about you need to know what the movie is about. Well as of this writing the movie is number 1 at the box office. The Yahoo movie page describes the movie as: A rat named Remy dreams of becoming a great French chef despite his family's wishes and the obvious problem of being a rat in a decidedly rodent-phobic profession. When fate places Remy in the sewers of Paris, he finds himself ideally situated beneath a restaurant made famous by his culinary hero, Auguste Gusteau. Despite the apparent dangers of being an unlikely - and certainly unwanted - visitor in the kitchen of a fine French restaurant, Remy's passion for cooking soon sets into motion a hilarious and exciting rat race that turns the culinary world of Paris upside down.

So yes, you play a rat. Now, I know what you’re thinking. I don’t want to play a rat! That’s boring! Well, I have to applaud Pixar for their innovation. Not only are you running from humans and cats alike, but you’re also fighting bugs and the occasional baby chick using your tail whip Pokemon style. You have the usual platforming controls, jumping, sprinting, double-jumping, and the aforementioned tail whip. The City of Lights is yours for the taking, little chef. Just don’t get eaten or stepped on and you’ll be a famous rodent chef in no time!

Let’s see…I was going to talk about the innovation. Well, for one thing the mini-games are refreshing. I have two favorites, the pest control mini-game as well as the cooking mini-game (the name escapes me at the moment). The mini-games offer something for everyone and can be a nice escape from the missions that can sometimes get frustrating. (I nearly threw my controller after trying to figure out how to get to the next part of a certain level about 10 times. I’m a violent person.)

And no my dear friend, you aren’t just scampering about on the floor and counters looking for some fresh oregano. You have little balls that look like the toy bells you’d give your pet cat which you can roll around on (the only way to get past certain… sticky situations shall we say not to mention squish those pesky and dangerous bugs). You also have tiny cocktail umbrellas that you can use to float down to the ground safely or over to a seemingly unreachable spot.

One mission may call for a strategic tail swipe while another may call for you to use all your rodent weight on a pulley system to access the next task you have listed. I don’t think I ever played through a mission that had you do the same thing over and over. Innovation my friends, innovation is key.

The graphics could have used just a bit of a boost, but what can you expect from a Disney game? And not to mention there’s only about one ‘cutscene’ at the very beginning of the game. Load times? Minimal to non-existing.

Oh! It seems like since this game is based on a kid’s movie that it’s gonna be easy. Well, it’s not as easy of a 1000/1000 as people originally thought. Those darn charms can be extremely tricky to get. I personally stopped trying to collect them after the second level and focused on just finishing the game. Also, one of the mini-games called ROLLing can be rather frustrating. Once you play the game and come upon one of these lovely mini-games you’ll understand. (Unless I’m just a complete ninny making things harder than they should be)

Overall, if I had to grade Ratatouille I would give it an 8/10. Graphics could’ve used a touchup, audio was bearable, and gameplay is certainly memorable and easy to just pick up and play. However, there are certain parts of the game that I either had trouble with because I’m getting too old or because I’m just a retard unable to grasp a simple concept of how to balance myself and whatnot and of which I’m unsure if children, the intended audience, would be able to play it through without getting frustrated and then giving up on the game.

Overall Grade: 8/10
Achievement Difficulty: about a 3 /5

Keytta
07-09-2007, 10:05 PM
It will be interesting to hear what others have found. I bought the game for my 7 and 9 year olds as a present after the movie. I have not given it to them yet as they are finishing up Star Wars II: Lego, but hope they are able to play and have fun with it. Of course I would be next just for the APs.

zdarko43
07-09-2007, 10:38 PM
i think i'll go and rent it. to see how it is. :) hopefully the achievements are easy and its a quick 1000 blow thru.

Toki Wauna Noki
07-10-2007, 02:47 PM
i think it is most likely just for achievements

Turbo VDuB 44
07-12-2007, 02:40 PM
the movie wasn't bad....quite good actually. hopefully the game follows suit and is good and fairly easy for the 1000

Chuppernicus
07-15-2007, 04:25 AM
I'm enjoying the game, it's a change of pace for me. Longer than most kids game and not really that easy, lots of fetching of tokens, lots of fetching. Might be a bit too difficult for some younger gamers, the mini games, the story missions are not tooo hard.

DreadfulCorpse
03-20-2008, 12:35 AM
The movie was great, looking to get the game now, hopefully it's good, ah I'm sure it will be.

Avenger
03-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Definitely not the simple 1000 I was expecting it to be.

If you want to get everything in one playthrough you will need to be very thorough and careful, particularly for the 525 charms. If you miss 1 in the first section of the game, or die while collecting one before it registers, then you may have to restart the whole game.

Some of the mini-games are also very frustrating. Can't remember the exact name, but something to do with rolling, and level 3 was just pad destroyingly frustrating, as were some of the areas on ice.

I have never known a "kid's game" to kill your character soo many times while playing a game. Pretty much about every time you miss a jump, are above water, or near an enemy you get killed and have a long trek back through the level to where you were.

If you liked the film and want the game, then you will probably have fun, but if you just want the achievements, there are far easier games to get them on.

Hitchcock
05-30-2008, 07:52 PM
I would not recommend this game to anyone. Especially a kid for that matter. Everyone says it's a "kids" game but in my oppinion It's not even close to a kids game. The concept is, don't get me wrong but the gameplay is a different story. I've been playing video games for a long time and this is on the very bottom of my list for quality games. The difficulty of the mini games and finding charms, accompanied by the way the levels are set up, how you access them, as well as the amount of health you have and how easy it is to die it just makes it a shitty game overall especially for a kid. Anyway I do have 1000/1000 but it's a complete nightmare to be honest.

MikeinSC
07-04-2008, 10:22 PM
It's not a bad game at all --- but I thought it had much more difficult Achievements than I was expecting.

Ciconte
08-17-2008, 03:27 AM
game is awful

xNJDx REDRUM
01-02-2009, 12:17 AM
im gonna rent it and try the achievements out

Grummy
02-28-2009, 11:56 PM
I would not recommend this game to anyone. Especially a kid for that matter. Everyone says it's a "kids" game but in my oppinion It's not even close to a kids game. The concept is, don't get me wrong but the gameplay is a different story. I've been playing video games for a long time and this is on the very bottom of my list for quality games. The difficulty of the mini games and finding charms, accompanied by the way the levels are set up, how you access them, as well as the amount of health you have and how easy it is to die it just makes it a shitty game overall especially for a kid. Anyway I do have 1000/1000 but it's a complete nightmare to be honest.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Appalling game. Its not hard in that 'impossible, it cheats like crap' kind of way, but its frustrating as hell, and it makes you do so bloody often.

For me the worst part is that when you try to jmp on theings and balance, sometimes it just won't do it at all and causes you to die, so you have to back track and start all over again. Bloody frustrating. Its possible to do, with full achievements, but you won't have a simple, relaxing ride like you got with Shrek or Open Season.

The Chuck Chuck
04-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Let's just say that my time with this game made me enjoy how easy Mega Man 9 was in comparison.

launchpadmcqack
08-25-2009, 09:44 AM
its a disney game. a family/kids game.

i am guessing its not going to be too in-depth. ;) keep realistic expectations.

ahhhh thats wat we all thought... Im only on the 3rd? level and had to restart becuz i missed a stupid charm... Not to mention all the glitches like falling through floors jumping through walls and randomly not being able to interact with the tightropes or precision jump thingys and this game would be responsible for a lot of upset kids... I mean come on who puts missable cheevos in a kid game...

Novasark
12-25-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm an average player at best and was able to complete this game to 1000. To me that puts it in the very do-able list.

launchpadmcqack
12-26-2009, 06:55 AM
I'm an average player at best and was able to complete this game to 1000. To me that puts it in the very do-able list.

no1s saying it isnt do able... I just remember that it was more frustrating than a kids game should be just becuz if u miss a charm or fall while getting it theres no way to get 1000 without startin over...

Th3 Maj0r
06-23-2010, 02:02 AM
Moive was good... game was bad.. real bad

cloud72
10-29-2010, 01:56 AM
just finished it, it was ok! it was better than Terminator Salvation