PDA

View Full Version : The Knife: An analysis.

Dervius
04-27-2011, 11:06 PM
In all games I'm quite a fan of melee combat. The original game's knife mechanic was far less than lackluster, but had it's uses. In prejudice both it's usability and practical viability have been vastly improved.

One such improvement is the fatality system, where - provided you have the knife currently equipped - you can instantly kill an enemy by holding down RB in one of a few assorted and brutal animations. Great addition which makes the knife far more dangerous than it's predecessor.

This fatality system does however have it's drawbacks, it can be quite time consuming and during the aforementioned animations you leave yourself vulnerable to attack.

Aside from fatalities you can simply swipe with the knife to inflict an impressive amount of damage, although landing such hits can be troublesome given the mobile nature of Prejudice's combat. Nevertheless it's speed and high damage make it a forimidable weapon albeit difficult to wield.

I have been consudcting a few small investigations into the knifes usage to see whether it is worth taking up a valuable equipment slot. So far I've found that the Serrated knife variant works on nearly all types of enemy units during the campaign (regardless of shield state) except Captains who seem to be invulnerable to fatality.

You can even fatality an enemy in a heavy mech when approaching from behind as long as the enemy's shields are at 0. This can prove exceedingly useful when faced with one of these mechanised behemoths in close range.

"The most reliable way to Knife someone is use the Jammer Beacon and hide somewhere on a Control Point, then when an enemy player shows up to capture it... dash up behind them from concealment and stab them in the back.

The second most reliable way to Knife someone is to use the Jammer Beacon around a DCM (especially a stationary one like Defend Outpost or Defend Jammer) and stalk around the fringes of battle looking for snipers/missilers. They are usually so focused on what they're doing it's a snap to sneak up and put a blade in their spine.

The third best way (or perhaps just a way to make it easier in general) to Knife someone is to use weapons that disrupt movement, such as the Concussion Pistol or Shotgun. After extensive testing I can tell you that the 'slow' effect is very minimal... but hey, it's better than nothing and it can potentially help you close the distance as you fight. If you intend to the use the Shotgun I highly recommend putting on Accuracy mods." (Credit: ZotTheWise)

There are 3 variants of the knife: Serrated, Siphon and Electro. The serrated knife variant is the high damage weapon of choice meant for one thing, and one thing only: Plunging into the enemy jugular. The Siphon Knife variant is supposed to act similar to the Siphon tool in that when damage is dealt you receive a proportional amount of armour regeneration. Electro is effectively an EMP knife

I have not yet found if the other knife variants are of any use or the differences in damage. I am also interested in any other fatality variations anyone might know of especially if you can be fatalitied whilst on the hover bike. I'll investigate further myself but so far this compact death-bringer can really prove devastating in the right hands.

This thread may seem redundant to some but I felt that it might be worth looking closer at the weaponry of Section 8: Prejudice, and weighing up their strengths and weaknesses.

If anybody has any opinions, questions, answers or other weapon information please share there may well be others out there who share my interest.

Thanks,
Your ol' mate Derv.

Orange Man
04-28-2011, 04:54 AM
Don't forget the upgrades or the knife that increase it's damage. I found that at level 65, (for the 2 extra points you can put on an upgrade), the kife is an instant kill if you can hit them.

Neon Rawwr
04-28-2011, 04:59 AM
OMG talking about brutal knifing.. if your into that you must check out the game Rogue Warrior by far one of the most brutal games out there. You can hear the skull break when you jam your knife in the koreans skull and twist the blade haha disgusting yet fascinating ^^

Dervius
04-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Don't forget the upgrades or the knife that increase it's damage. I found that at level 65, (for the 2 extra points you can put on an upgrade), the kife is an instant kill if you can hit them.

Did not know this, thanks for the info.

ZotTheWise
05-02-2011, 03:19 AM
The general formula for any combat engagement in Section 8 is to first remove an enemies shield bar and then take out their armor bar afterward. The Knife is the only weapon (besides the Siphon Tool) that bypasses shields and directly damages armor, meaning that wielding the Knife allows you to sort of do the process backwards.

What this means is that a weapon using EMP rounds is a far more deadly companion to the Knife than, say, a weapon using Slug or Incendiary. A solid strike with the Knife takes care of the majority of an enemy's armor bar, meaning that all you have to do is shoot them up with (for example) a machine gun using EMP rounds. What little armor they have left should be easily depleted, even though the EMP rounds are not well suited for damaging armor.

EDIT: Alternatively, you could use a weapon ammo that does average damage to everything-- like Rail rounds or Burst Rail rounds.

Dervius
05-02-2011, 09:43 AM
The general formula for any combat engagement in Section 8 is to first remove an enemies shield bar and then take out their armor bar afterward. The Knife is the only weapon (besides the Siphon Tool) that bypasses shields and directly damages armor, meaning that wielding the Knife allows you to sort of do the process backwards.

What this means is that a weapon using EMP rounds is a far more deadly companion to the Knife than, say, a weapon using Slug or Incendiary. A solid strike with the Knife takes care of the majority of an enemy's armor bar, meaning that all you have to do is shoot them up with (for example) a machine gun using EMP rounds. What little armor they have left should be easily depleted, even though the EMP rounds are not well suited for damaging armor.

EDIT: Alternatively, you could use a weapon ammo that does average damage to everything-- like Rail rounds or Burst Rail rounds.

Fair point, I find the knife well accompanied by EMP grenades also. The electro knife is very well accompanied by any Napalm or incendiary weapon mods as it depletes the enemies shield and energy.

ZotTheWise
05-03-2011, 11:08 AM
The Serrated Knife supposedly does more damage than the other two Knives, but after several experiments with a friend of mine I just don't see a very significant difference in damage, so I would say the Serrated Knife isn't worth using unless it's all you have and you absolutely MUST use a Knife. It's a weapon of opportunity, the trick is knowing how and where to create those opportunities.
Assuming that you don't have Knife damage mods on (or at least enough mods to secure an instant non-fatality kill) then you definitely want to use the Electro Knife since it damages both the armor bar and the shield bar equally. The Siphon Knife could 'potentially' save your life in a fight... but the odds of that happening are so very very slim. Health regenerates pretty fast as it is and it's tough to get a dodging, hopping, jet-packing enemy with the Knife (especially if they know you're trying to Knife them.) Consequently you should try to do as much damage to them with that one strike as you can.

Fair point, I find the knife well accompanied by EMP grenades also.
Really? Well, I don't doubt the effectiveness, but that's taking up two valuable Equipment Slots. The Jammer Beacon is, in my humble opinion, the best utilitarian compliment to the Knife. Mainly because it enables you to sneak up on people (since you don't show up on their radar) and Fatality them-- or at least stab them in the back if the Fatality animations would be strategically unsound (as in, there's more than one enemy to fight and thus the second enemy would probably kill you during the Fatality animation.)

Dervius
05-03-2011, 11:32 AM
The Serrated Knife supposedly does more damage than the other two Knives, but after several experiments with a friend of mine I just don't see a very significant difference in damage, so I would say the Serrated Knife isn't worth using unless it's all you have and you absolutely MUST use a Knife. It's a weapon of opportunity, the trick is knowing how and where to create those opportunities.
Assuming that you don't have Knife damage mods on (or at least enough mods to secure an instant non-fatality kill) then you definitely want to use the Electro Knife since it damages both the armor bar and the shield bar equally. The Siphon Knife could 'potentially' save your life in a fight... but the odds of that happening are so very very slim. Health regenerates pretty fast as it is and it's tough to get a dodging, hopping, jet-packing enemy with the Knife (especially if they know you're trying to Knife them.) Consequently you should try to do as much damage to them with that one strike as you can.

Really? Well, I don't doubt the effectiveness, but that's taking up two valuable Equipment Slots. The Jammer Beacon is, in my humble opinion, the best utilitarian compliment to the Knife. Mainly because it enables you to sneak up on people (since you don't show up on their radar) and Fatality them-- or at least stab them in the back if the Fatality animations would be strategically unsound (as in, there's more than one enemy to fight and thus the second enemy would probably kill you during the Fatality animation.)

Reasing being for the EMP grenades is due to the fact that you can't fatality an enemy with a full shield which makes it very useful for assaulting a Control point.

The jamming becaon is one of my most used equipment choices, especially in my classes focused on mobility (For instance with Polarity Charger fully upgraded). And thus works very well with the knife, something I hadnt really realised beforehand.

I havent really seen how effective the siphon knife is because I dont think it recharges your armour after a fatality and I find landing a swipe in an actual competitive game quite difficult unless you have stealthed in.

ZotTheWise
05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
The most reliable way to Knife someone is use the Jammer Beacon and hide somewhere on a Control Point, then when an enemy player shows up to capture it... dash up behind them from concealment and stab them in the back.

The second most reliable way to Knife someone is to use the Jammer Beacon around a DCM (especially a stationary one like Defend Outpost or Defend Jammer) and stalk around the fringes of battle looking for snipers/missilers. They are usually so focused on what they're doing it's a snap to sneak up and put a blade in their spine.

The third best way (or perhaps just a way to make it easier in general) to Knife someone is to use weapons that disrupt movement, such as the Concussion Pistol or Shotgun. After extensive testing I can tell you that the 'slow' effect is very minimal... but hey, it's better than nothing and it can potentially help you close the distance as you fight. If you intend to the use the Shotgun I highly recommend putting on Accuracy mods.

Dervius
05-03-2011, 09:50 PM
The most reliable way to Knife someone is use the Jammer Beacon and hide somewhere on a Control Point, then when an enemy player shows up to capture it... dash up behind them from concealment and stab them in the back.

The third best way (or perhaps just a way to make it easier in general) to Knife someone is to use weapons that disrupt movement, such as the Concussion Pistol or Shotgun. After extensive testing I can tell you that the 'slow' effect is very minimal... but hey, it's better than nothing and it can potentially help you close the distance as you fight. If you intend to the use the Shotgun I highly recommend putting on Accuracy mods.

Great tips, I've added it into the original post and credited you. I hope you don't mind I just thought that they are too effective to leave out. Perhaps, we could create a larger thread dedicated to further weapon analyses in the future

ZotTheWise
05-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks. I appreciate that.

I wouldn't mind analyzing other weapons-- or even giving tips for effective ways of using them. We could just go down the list starting with the Assault Rifle, if you like.

Battletick
06-06-2011, 05:19 PM
My favorite use of the knife is when capturing a control point, I hide on one side of it, then they walk around it so they can hit me, then they get insta-killed by my assassin module boosted knife. I'm using 8 assassin module, 6 polarity charger, the knife, and the jammer beacon. It works quite well, except the knife is somewhat picky, and you can't hit again until 2 seconds after you miss. Once I was right behind someone and the knife lunge made me go through their body without hitting them. :confused: