PDA

View Full Version : circles near the middle of my disk

isual
04-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Hi guys,

My Xbox 360 copy of black ops recently accrued 3 circles near the middle of the disk, they look perfect in a way. When I put it in the console, it goes all the way to the start screen (sometimes not), then it says DISK UNREADABLE, CLEAN CLOTH ETC.
My 360 prior to this was placed horizontal; now it's vertical.

Anyways, is there any way to fix this or should I just get a newer copy? Thanks

jedijaxpavan
04-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Buy a new copy.

NexusProphet182
04-28-2011, 07:33 AM
I had the same problem with a SmackDown vs RAW game. My advice, go to your local DVD/Game store, see if they have a disk cleaner and get it cleaned. For mine it took 6-7 cleans but the guy there was nice and did them all for free. And make sure your console is HORIZONTAL.

hydrosugar
04-28-2011, 08:25 AM
I think something like this happened to me. it was my copy of sega superstars tennis. i just went down to the local video store and got them to fix it. worked fine after that. before hand when i tried to install it it stopped at like 60%. and when i tried to play doubles matches didnt load.

lol that game cost me $4, but $5 to fix it :p. still $9 for a game in australia is VERY good, given they retail at $100+

Worhammer
04-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Circular scratches are the worst to get, because they break the lens' reading process. Basically, the lens gets "stuck" reading that circle, creating an infinite loop & screwing up your game.

Best advice, either get a new copy, or rent one from gamefly, send back your disc and tell them it's scratched. They have industrial strength cd-resurfacers that will fix even the worst scratches. Could also pull the "buy a used copy from gamestop, then return it the next day" thing if you don't have gamefly. This is a little harder to do, as sometimes the manager will call you on it if they're paying any attention.

DarthSoth
04-28-2011, 06:33 PM
And make sure your console is HORIZONTAL.

That just isn't true. I've had a 360 since Launch in 2005 and it has always been vertical. I've never had an issue with a disk getting scratched.

Of course mine is in a secure loation that is near impossible to accidentally bump, which is about 90% the reason disks would get scratched like that.
If you might move or bumb your 360 while it is on, then you are best to have it horizontal. Otherwise, in my experience, there is no reason to worry about it being vertical.

Stufin135
04-28-2011, 07:12 PM
My mate had a problem with this and all he did was borrow one of our copies of the game and installed it to the hard drive. Then when sticking in his disc it read fine because it wasn't trying to hard to read it. That might work.

isual
04-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Well, I don't know anyone who has a copy of Black Ops. Instead, I just did the switcheroo with Gamefly by using my (in limbo and incomplete) free trial account.

Dante5380
04-29-2011, 03:42 AM
That just isn't true. I've had a 360 since Launch in 2005 and it has always been vertical. I've never had an issue with a disk getting scratched.

Of course mine is in a secure loation that is near impossible to accidentally bump, which is about 90% the reason disks would get scratched like that.
If you might move or bumb your 360 while it is on, then you are best to have it horizontal. Otherwise, in my experience, there is no reason to worry about it being vertical.

Jup indeed, my xbox(es) have always been vertical, and I haven't had any problems either, but I've never heard of the fact that u can scratch a disk by bumping or moving your xbox?

DarthSoth
04-29-2011, 04:44 AM
Jup indeed, my xbox(es) have always been vertical, and I haven't had any problems either, but I've never heard of the fact that u can scratch a disk by bumping or moving your xbox?

There were a bunch of videos on you tube of people moving their 360 while a disk is in it and spinning and it scratches a ring onto it. Normally makes a nasty noise though.

DragonsGoMOO
04-29-2011, 06:03 AM

Well, I'll tell you a story so that then you will have heard of the fact that a disc can be scratched by bumping or moving the Xbox.

I was playing Left 4 Dead, with my Xbox vertical, and my dad texted me telling me dinner was ready. So I exited out of the game, turned it off, and went on my way. I accidentally tripped on the wired controller, yanking the Xbox. It didn't fall off my desk, but when I came back to play Left 4 Dead, it was scratched and won't let me play.

I cleaned it 5 times. I tried installing a friend's game to the harddrive. The best solution I found is to steal my friend's game.

It does screw up games. I never leave discs in my Xbox when I'm not playing. But the ONE time I do, it gets fucked up. Lady Luck's a bitch.

isual
04-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Those videos on youtube, while they seem acceptable to do, I really do not want to risk even more damage to the disk.

DaChiefOfOwnage
04-29-2011, 08:16 AM
The best solution I found is to steal my friend's game.

I hope all of your games get scratches. Stealing from friends? Really? This is why we can't have nice things.

F Zer0 X
04-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Hi guys,

My Xbox 360 copy of black ops recently accrued 3 circles near the middle of the disk, they look perfect in a way. When I put it in the console, it goes all the way to the start screen (sometimes not), then it says DISK UNREADABLE, CLEAN CLOTH ETC.
My 360 prior to this was placed horizontal; now it's vertical.

Anyways, is there any way to fix this or should I just get a newer copy? Thanks

Just be thankful it wasn't a good game.

Braiiins
04-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Does this happen frequently or something? From what people are posting it sounds like a fairly common occurring, but then again barely 20 people posted on a forum of thousands of people.

The only instance i've seen this happen is when my girlfriends awkwardly moved her laptop with a dvd in it, never got the dvd fixed/replaced. Hopefully you didn't move your 360 from vertical to horizontal with the game in it? That could have potentially done it.

Burnout x360a
04-29-2011, 08:45 AM
And make sure your console is HORIZONTAL.

Not true in the slightest, i've had my Xbox vertical since I got it and have never had any issues.

Does this happen frequently or something? From what people are posting it sounds like a fairly common occurring.

The only instance i've seen this happen is when my girlfriends awkwardly moved her laptop with a dvd in it, never got the dvd fixed/replaced. Hopefully you didn't move your 360 from vertical to horizontal with the game in it? That could have potentially done it.

If you move the machine, be it a laptop or Xbox, with the disc in it then you are asking for trouble.

So no it isn't a common occurrence really and in most cases it's user error.