PDA

View Full Version : Can't add MS points to my gamertag

rekikire
04-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Microsoft are pissing me off at the moment. For the last few weeks when I've been trying to add points I was getting an error saying try again later. Eventually I got pissed off and went to a store and bought 4 x 1500 point cards. I wanted to get all the DLC for Bad Company 2 to have some fun on that this weekend.

So I get home and find out that there was an error when I tried to redeem the code on the website. I boot up my xbox and try and redeem the code putting the letters in with the controller :-(. It comes back with a different error code.

Googling the error, it says that the account has been locked and I need to call up MS and get them to unlock it. I call up and they say that they've locked my account for fraudulent activity, but they wont' tell me what it is.

I wish I knew what was going on, every point I bought direct from MS, I've only downloaded stuff onto one xbox. And only logged into a total of 2 xboxes ever.

So no Bad Company 2 Onslaught this weekend :-(

F Zer0 X
04-29-2011, 08:14 AM
By Fraudulent Activity that usually means you have been trying to swap MS points for mods/hacked lobbies

rekikire
04-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Not me, 99% of my stuff is offline, you can count the number of online achievements that I have probably on two hands. They've got until tomorrow to get back to me or I'm going to call them again and stay on the phone until someone can let me know what is going on.

ZackNovak
04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Something like this happened to me before, I got a new debit card but I forgot to change the number on my Live account so it charged to a non-existent credit card for a couple of months and my account was locked for a while after that. I don't know if that's your situation but I just thought I'd try to help.

Spanish Assault
04-29-2011, 04:10 PM
M$ doesn't suspend or ban accounts that don't deserve it. Odds are there is something you are not telling us...looks like you wont be able to do anything about it.

Stumpster2
04-29-2011, 07:08 PM
M$ doesn't suspend or ban accounts that don't deserve it. Odds are there is something you are not telling us...looks like you wont be able to do anything about it.

LOL you honestly believe that BS? people get banned for not updating credit/debit card info. It happened to me because I was waiting on a new card to come through, and even now I can't take the old one off because there's apparently payments pending on it. M$ don't just ban for mods and the like they ban for as I said people not updating their card info, when really they could just let the accounts go to silver.

InfamousVuk
04-29-2011, 07:19 PM
They will ban you from dying too until you pay them to the very last penny.

rekikire
04-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Something like this happened to me before, I got a new debit card but I forgot to change the number on my Live account so it charged to a non-existent credit card for a couple of months and my account was locked for a while after that. I don't know if that's your situation but I just thought I'd try to help.

My credit card expired and it took a month for the new one to arrive, but my gold subscription doesn't renew until next year so there shouldn't have been any charges made to the old card.

Spanish Assault
04-29-2011, 11:12 PM
LOL you honestly believe that BS? people get banned for not updating credit/debit card info. It happened to me because I was waiting on a new card to come through, and even now I can't take the old one off because there's apparently payments pending on it. M$ don't just ban for mods and the like they ban for as I said people not updating their card info, when really they could just let the accounts go to silver.
still a valid reason. I said without a reason, so not having a valid credit card (while extremely stupid) is a "valid" reason

rekikire
04-29-2011, 11:38 PM
So just got off phone call number 3 to Microsoft. The problem has been escalated to the heady heights of level 3, and those people don't talk to customers. So they won't transfer the call to anyone so I can get clarification as to what's going on. Again I've been promised contact within 24 hours, so by this time tomorrow if they haven't got back to me, I'll be calling them up again and hassling the poor call centre person.

Probably pissing into the wind but I'll be asking for some compensation. Buying points from a store is 20% more expensive than buying from MS. Also the amount of time I've wasted because of the meaningless error code "An error has occurred during the transaction. Please try again later.", trying and trying again and again to get these points.

Having an out of date credit card shouldn't be a valid reason if nothing was being charged to the card.

fuzzycat240
04-30-2011, 03:37 AM
You might want to make sure that your information is correct on your live account. We had this problem when my son's account was hacked and we couldn't add the points that microsoft gave us to get his gamertag back. I think you can access your account from the xbox.com website. My son's account was hacked in february and we are still dealing with the aftermath of that saga, from lost gold time to lost points. It is always we need to elevate to the next level but no one ever gets back to you. Then it is another 45 minutes on the phone, explaining the whole thing over again. And still don't know how is account was hacked.

rekikire
04-30-2011, 05:36 AM
Thanks fuzzycat240, I've double checked the details on my credit cards and removed the expired cards. Was the first thing I did before calling them for the first time.

I just wish they would have sent some notification that they'd put a stop on points, not just blocking the gamertag. They've got my email address, they can send a message to me through live. It's just shoddy that they wait until I call up before they do anything.

Cube623
04-30-2011, 03:14 PM
I have to be honest I'm very interested to hear what MS do when\if they call you back. For about a month I couldn't add points or buy points either after accidentally using a card that had been cancelled (lost it like the idiot I am :D ), it kept giving me an error code when trying to add pre-paid cards or buy points off the dashboard (with the correct card and the old card deleted) but miraculously after a month it just randomly started working again!

However I have a friend who for the best part of 1.5 years has had to use a secondary account purely for adding points to buy DLC as his main account won't let him add points off pre-paid cards or buy it direct off the dashboard. He has only ever had one card on his account and when the problem began it hadn't expired and I can vouch that he has never done anything fraudulent to cause this. While he is happy using a second account for buying paid DLC I'd be interested to find out the possible fix\cause :D

MattyHustedUk
04-30-2011, 03:20 PM
i think in some cases its to do with Child accounts but im unsure

fuzzycat240
05-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Thanks fuzzycat240, I've double checked the details on my credit cards and removed the expired cards. Was the first thing I did before calling them for the first time.

I just wish they would have sent some notification that they'd put a stop on points, not just blocking the gamertag. They've got my email address, they can send a message to me through live. It's just shoddy that they wait until I call up before they do anything.

It is not only the credit card information that can stop you, it can be the personal information. Like you address and phone numbers. My son had moved a couple of times and never updated the info. Then it didn't match in xbox and the live email account.

rekikire
05-01-2011, 07:13 AM
So I called up a fourth time this afternoon and finally got onto someone who was able to help me. She contacted the second level support team and the removed the block. I have now successfully been able to add the point cards that I purchased.

Hopefully this won't happen again to me. If it happens to everyone else, do what fuzzycat240 mentioned, check your credit card numbers, address details, email address etc. Then call them up. Keep calling them daily until you get a result.