View Full Version : World structure

Mr Fiddler
04-29-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm thinking about getting this game as I like the demo. I was wondering how big the game is and how the backtracking works. Is there a level select or is it more like a single large map with warps between areas? I heard that it's a bit Castlevania like, so I presume you can go back and look for collectables that you missed.

04-29-2011, 07:00 PM
It's a Metroidvania but it's divided into different "worlds" accessed from a hub. The worlds are mostly linear but consist of multiple levels that connect in different ways.

It's mostly comparable to the last two DS Castlevania titles; more Portrait of Ruin than Order of Ecclesia.

Mr Fiddler
04-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately I've not played either of those DS games.

So if you missed some collectables in one of the worlds you just re-enter it from the hub and do the level again? Can you then back out to the hub once you find what you are looking for?

04-29-2011, 08:02 PM
There are only three items that are missable in "30000 years ago" flashback, but there is no achievement for getting all of the money vases.

Aside from the flashback, not only can you revisit the world, but you sort of have to if you want all the marks. Many of the marks are hidden in areas that require a power you don't get until later in the game.

Not all areas have a teleport, though, so you will have to hoof it for some of them.

04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Although the game is divided into levels (I guess "zones" would be a better term, like an MMO) it's all the same connected universe like any other Metroidvania.

You're free to go anywhere (except, like Auburok said, to the flashback) again, and the game autosaves every time you switch zones (this is stated at the top of the screen.)

So basically, when you want to collect stuff, run and jump around as you wish, but make sure you change zones before exiting the game!

As Auburok pointed out, there are also teleporters in the world which you eventually gain the ability to use, much like many Castlevania games.

There is no instant way of returning to the hub, so you'll either have to hoof it or use a teleporter.

05-08-2011, 04:50 PM
I described this game to a friend of mine as "Ikaruga meets Castlevania plus a little Limbo minus anything bad about a video game". That about sums it up.