PDA

View Full Version : Noob question: What's an IP?

housemdfan
07-03-2007, 09:50 AM
When talking about games what is an ip? I've probably heard it before. Man...you dunno how embarrassing it is to ask this question. :o

Cold Rival
07-03-2007, 09:53 AM
An IP is kind of like a digital address (think of it like your street address). It's a number that's associated with your internet server which is used to communnicate with other devices over the internet.

EDIT: I re-read and you said "when talking about games", so I don't know if this is different to the explanation I gave you.

highpass
07-03-2007, 09:53 AM
I always assumed it was innovative... something. You're referring to when people say "where's the new IPs" or "rather have a new IP than Final Fantasy XIIIVIVI" kind of thing, as opposed to an IP address?

Cold Rival
07-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't know, I've never acctually heard the term being used in that way before.

housemdfan
07-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes. It is in the games section, so I am asking about games. An article I was reading was talking about the people who made Doom 3D and ips and stuff, and I always wondered what it was. Whenever I do a search I get back the definition of an internet ip

An example of it used in a sentence from an article: while Interplay retained ownership of the Fallout IP.

highpass
07-03-2007, 10:01 AM
I'd hazard a guess of Innovative Product, but i'll wait until the master of abbreviations arrives.

graf1k
07-03-2007, 11:04 AM
IP as in "Assassins Creed is a new gaming IP" means Intellectual Property.

IP as in IP Address means Internet Protocol.

Zef
07-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Everyone's favourite internet encyclopedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP

housemdfan
07-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Actually your words 'everyone's favorite' is incorrect. I despise wikipedia. Sorry.

Thanks for the definition Graf1k. This can be locked now for future use by idiots like me.

Zef
07-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Actually your words 'everyone's favorite' is incorrect. I despise wikipedia. Sorry.

Subtle irony, it is the only place people use nowadays, like pootube. Wikipedia don't even know that the lunar surface is primarily a dense sheet of cheese like deposits, so they are hardly credible.

housemdfan
07-03-2007, 12:02 PM
I use real resources. Sorry again. :( There's a reason some schools don't let you use wiki as a source of info. I don't CARE if they have sources cited on the page you're lookin' at, it's still a site people can edit, and most people are either too lazy or too stupid to wonder if the 'info' is correct. Sorry, I had a bad experience with it.

highpass
07-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Subtle irony, it is the only place people use nowadays, like pootube. Wikipedia don't even know that the lunar surface is primarily a dense sheet of cheese like deposits, so they are hardly credible.

Offtopic: This is widely known amongst the anti-wiki crowd, also known as the givers of light, uncyclopedia (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page) . Refer to wikitruth (http://www.wikitruth.info/) for info about how the Wikipedia heads cover up their bollocks and censorship. /OT.