PDA

View Full Version : Favourite individual TV episodes?

The Ultrafiend
05-19-2011, 11:14 AM
You know how every once in a while, a TV show manages to pull off a particular episode that just stands head & shoulders above the rest of the series? Like it could probably stand up there with some of the all-time great movies in terms of story, acting and direction?

Lemme hear a few of yours and tell me why you thought they were so great.

Stargate SG-1: Unending
I never really got on with sci-fi shows at all but there was always something special about Stargate. Whereas a lot of shows fill their big finales with explosions, twists and bad guys, Stargate went the other way and focused on what made the show so great in the first place: the characters.
For the entire episode, the SG-1 team are trapped on their ship in a time dilation field, activated by Carter to save them by freezing time a split-second before a fatal shot from an Ori battleship destroys their ship. With no apparent way to leave the field without being killed, we see the team grow old together as they try hopelessly to figure out a way to free themselves. Poignant, emotional and brilliant.

Stargate Atlantis: Sateda
Far from the dodgy spin-off I suspected it would be, Stargate Atlantis turned into a fantastic show of its own right. Sateda was the first episode to really flesh out the character of Ronon, a warrior who joined the team early on in the series.
Re-captured by the Wraith, the series' antagonists that travel from planet to planet destroying the population, Ronon is sent back to his annihilated hometown and hunted for sport. Although a very dark, emotional episode, there are superb action sequences amongst the flashbacks, which detail the Wraith's hideous genocide of Sateda.

The X-Files: Sein und Zeit & Closure
There were so many superb episodes of The X-Files and while you'd probably be hard pressed to find many episodes in the last few seasons that compared to the first six, these two episodes stood head & shoulders above the rest. The two-part plot is gut-wrenching to say the least, revolving around a child serial killer that may or may not have had something to do with the disappearance of Mulder's sister. Duchovny's acting is quite possibly the best of the entire series here in one of the best storyline wrap-ups I've ever seen. Shame they couldn't do as good a job for the series finale really.

Urban Gothic: Serotonin Wild
Urban Gothic was a little-known UK horror series that ran on Channel 5. It got cancelled after two seasons, mainly because of its largely horrific acting and laughable central storyline. However, out of the two series that ran, three episodes stood out as almost uncanny individual masterpieces against the utter dreck that surrounded them. Serotonin Wild was my favourite. A cocksure psychiatrist tries to cure a young woman of compulsive disorder syndrome, attempting to convince her that the obsessive rituals she forces herself through do not, as she believes, have any protective impact on herself or the lives of others. Two actors, one room, twenty-five minutes of excellent acting and brilliant script.

Mr Bungle
05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
The Office: "The Dinner Party"

I don't know why this one pops out to me out of all of them. I just find the episode the most awkward and funny episode out of the lot.

Again... The Office: "Goodbye Michael"

Steve Carrell's final performance as Michael Scott. The right mix of being a tear-jerker and being funny. I will admit, I shed a tear. I'm a die-hard fan of the show and consider it to be the best show ever.

O Captain My Captain
05-27-2011, 06:15 PM
For me it would be:

Fringe : Peter (Season 2)

-They always kept on mentioning throughout season 1 little snippets of Peter's past, and how he was deathly ill, and made a miraculous recovery. Well, in the season 1 finale, we find out this isn't true, and that the Peter from our universe is actually dead. So now it becomes how did all of this happen? And this episode answered all those questions. Emotional from the outset, and well acted, it's the best episode of Fringe yet.

exo-apollo
05-29-2011, 02:59 AM
For me it would be:

Fringe : Peter (Season 2)

Yikes yikes, might wanna put a spoiler round that haha, it's still a pretty recent show.

For X Files I always enjoyed Jose Chung's from Outer Space, also uhhh I think Home and for some reason Detour (it's not that popular I just love episodes where they go out into the woods).

From Twin Peaks "Zen, or the Skill to Catch a Killer" was brilliant from first season, it had the classic dream sequence at the end.

The Sopranos third season episode "Pine Barrens" was incredible, riveting plot line but also featured some great exchanges between characters that would resonate throughout seasons.

And recently Breaking Bad's Second Season episode "4 days and Out", just fucking classic.

Good thread btw Fiend. I also enjoyed 'Closure', they handled the conclusion to a long running plot line very well, it could have gone much much worse.

Gorilla Stomper
05-29-2011, 03:59 AM
The last episode of Generation Kill always sticks in my mind. For the ending.

It's just sort of touching how they all gradually realise that war is nothing to celebrate and cheer about, and walk away.

Generation Kill - Final Scene

A great conclusion.

Spoony Bard
05-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Futurama's "Jurassic Bark"; the ending gets me every time.