PDA

View Full Version : Seth MacFarlane to Reboot "The Flintstones"

Jiga.Puzzle.5
05-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Seth MacFarlane get's the ok to redo the Flintstones which will premiere 2013 on Fox.

TOLDJA! Fox just announced the deal at its upfront this afternoon. Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly said production on the animated series will begin production in Fall 2011 for a 2013 premiere on the Fox schedule. In a cross-studio collaboration, The Flintstones will be produced jointly by 20th Century Fox Television and Warner Bros Television. Dan Palladino (Gilmore Girls) and Kara Vallow (Family Guy) will serve as executive producers with Seth MacFarlane who says the very first cartoon character he drew at age 2 was Fred Flintstone. “So it’s appropriate that events have come full circle, allowing me to produce the newest incarnation of this great franchise. Plus, I think America is finally ready for an animated sitcom about a fat stupid guy with a wife who’s too good for him.” Added Reilly: “The Flintstones are among the funniest and most beloved characters in television history, and we can’t wait to introduce them to a whole new generation on Fox,” said Kevin Reilly, President of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. “FOX has long been home to iconic families like the Simpsons and the Griffins, so I have no doubt that the Flintstones and the Rubbles are going to fit right in on our air.” He hinted that the deal for the show closed just hours before the presentation today -- just like I told you. In a video shown at the upfronts, MacFarlane shed some light on his plans for the remake: The characters will look the same but he'll introduce new technology, like "What is the animal version of an iPad?”
http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/yabba-dabba-doo-seth-macfarlane-finally-gets-go-ahead-to-reboot-the-flintstones/
I'm kinda excited about this.

CodSteaks
05-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Nice. I'm not the biggest die hard fan of MacFarlane's shows, but I think they're funny enough that this could be really good. I just hope he can use it as an opportunity to grow his comedy a bit. His shows all seem to have a really similar style to me, so hopefully this will be a bit more fresh.

Nozza XBA
05-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Personally I think he could do a good job of it. Obviously it won't be anything like FG/AD but The Flintstones is a classic and one of the main programs I watched as a child!

2013, is soo far way though lol.

Mr Bungle
05-20-2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=310690

sweatdog
05-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Hmmm..... I'm guessing if MacFarlane is involved, many will expect an adult cartoon, which would be true to the original idea. It was originally meant to be an animated Honeymooners, aimed at adults. Hell, they used to have the characters advertise cigarettes, for Heaven's sake. But, in reruns and in future incarnations, it became a property aimed at kids, with toys, breakfast cereals, etc. I don't think that the marketing department is going to let them do the same adult humor that they use in Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland Show. Imagine the horror of Post cereal when they're trying to sell sugary cereals to the young'uns, while Fred jokes with Wilma about her period! I suspect the blatant sexual and violent references will be severely toned down as to not upset the product folks. I hope, at least, a subtext of adult humor can be present, sort of like Rocky and Bulwinkle or The Simpsons, or this show will not succeed. I'm not sure Seth has the ability to be that subtle....

ZedChuva
05-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Cant picture it now:

Fred and Barney are driving down the street. They see an openly gay couple on the street. Fred turns to Barney.

Fred: Hey Barn, that reminds me of the time we went camping.

Flash to Barney and Fred in a tent, Fred violently ramming Barney from behind...

Barney: Ah the times on Broke Rock Mountain eh Fred?

Both laugh in classic Flintstones fashion.