PDA

View Full Version : MW3 Game Criticised For Tube Attack Scenes

DeafSunchaser
05-26-2011, 08:15 PM
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Technology/Call-Of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-3-Makers-Criticised-For-Trailer-Showing-London-Tube-Being-Attacked/Article/201105416000226?lpos=Technology_Second_Home_Page_A rticle_Teaser_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_16000226_Call_Of_Duty_Modern_Warfare_3 %3A_Makers_Criticised_For_Trailer_Showing_London_T ube_Being_Attacked

OUCH!!!

ZZak
05-26-2011, 08:27 PM
People need to get a grip! It's a fucking video game!

JASEL84
05-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Get back to reality it a game... sad bastards

JonnyNumber1
05-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah as the others say its just a video game. Wasn't there a similar issue with Modern Warfare 2's No Russian level?.

JDMBO1
05-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Really? I mean what the hell it's a game, I don't think I've heard anyone overact to something other then Medal of Honer in a long while. She says that she's worried about children getting there hands on this game, and kids as young as 10 have been playing Call of Duty for who knows how long. It's just a game it's not like kids would go reenact the stuff they see, this isn't Jackass.

Yeah as the others say its just a video game. Wasn't there a similar issue with Modern Warfare 2's No Russian level?.
yes

StillTIPPIN187
05-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Lol. Banned in the UK.

I kid, but but wouldn't it be dumb if it was? Someone will try you can bet on it.

Callumpy
05-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Id like it to get banned, its gonna be crap anyways :D

Warren17
05-26-2011, 09:56 PM

By your logic MW2 and Black Ops should be banned?

Cefka Palazzo
05-26-2011, 09:59 PM
No Russian, 'nuff said

Callumpy
05-26-2011, 10:04 PM
By your logic MW2 and Black Ops should be banned?

Yeah, why not.

Hamburgerous
05-26-2011, 10:17 PM
This is fucking pathetic. People just like to get their hackles up and be pissed off about something for no reason, it's fucking retarded.

Spanish Assault
05-26-2011, 10:25 PM

Yeah, why not.

Seems like you lost your way....

Click HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2159) or HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1678) to go back home.

Hamburgerous
05-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Seems like you lost your way....

Click HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2159) or HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1678) to go back home.

Assumed they were links to troll sights like 4chan or something else equally horrible.

Mission00I
05-26-2011, 10:37 PM
I cant believe this...

Cant game developers do anything nowadays without upsetting someone...

its not even that bad, its not like there advertising some terrorists to plan to blow up a tube train...Some people are so over-reactors.

Hamburgerous
05-26-2011, 10:41 PM
I cant believe this...

Cant game developers do anything nowadays without upsetting someone...

its not even that bad, its not like there advertising some terrorists to plan to blow up a tube train...Some people are so over-reactors.

It's not bad at all. If you made a game set in London that didn't involve the subway it would be weird. It's just another setting for urban warfare but people are pissy little girls that like to fly off the handle.

MC B0B x360a
05-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Obvious media whoring is obvious. The lady in the article just accomplished everything she wanted, and all attention whores like herself are the same. These people pull the holier than thou acts and get the easy media attention they were looking for. If they really cared about keeping games like this out of childrens hand, then they wouldnt put it even farther in the media spotlight. She gets her 5 minutes of fame, and the game gets more attention. Its a win win for her and the devs, and the arguement of how it effects kids get lost.

Aiden 514
05-27-2011, 01:33 AM
reminds me of medal of honour when they weren't aloud to call the taliban the taliban

AngelHeva
05-31-2011, 04:03 PM
i love how people feel the need to dictate to me what i can and can not watch/play/do. fuck off, seriously. go save a fucking rainforest or something.

the people who caused the 7/7 bombings didn't do so because of cod or any other game... they did it because they were freakin' loopy. maybe if people stopped investing so much of their time moaning about computer games and invested the same amount of time in getting rid of these 'extremists' then the world would be a far better place? *shrug*x

Beefdagreat
05-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Wow, this is just as bad as those parents getting mad about the adoption deal in Portal 2 lmfao

Majica8
05-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Won't get banned, at the very most it will be another No Russian with the option to skip it. Other than that it's free advertising for the game...bet Activi$ion love that.

Andrewken
06-02-2011, 08:40 AM
She urged parents to be aware that the content might not be suitable for younger children.

To cut her some slack at least she was being sensible when she said this.

HorsemanOfWar16
06-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Im from London - And it don't bother me, you know why because it's a fucking video game!!! -News channels have nothing more interesting to report on ?!

xXmyxxmastaXx
06-04-2011, 03:25 PM
its rated 18 for a reason!! it's not for FUCKING KIDS!!

Blizzard-1
06-04-2011, 03:29 PM
All part of the advertising campaign if you ask me, same as MW2 had.

Fallout 330
06-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I agree its just a video game mw2 didnt get bad reviews when washington dc was burned and destroyed

MegaKingBong
06-04-2011, 07:09 PM
lmfao really wow

Hamburgerous
06-04-2011, 10:10 PM
I agree its just a video game mw2 didnt get bad reviews when washington dc was burned and destroyed

Yeah, but the White House hasn't been burned to the ground since 1814 (sorry about that) and the wounds are a little less fresh in peoples mind. The reason it is causing problems is because people think it might be mimicking a recent terrorist attack.

Surely you see how this is a different issue to just a city being attacked?

FeatherbottomMR
06-04-2011, 11:51 PM
man people will complain about anything now a days....

Rivercurse
06-05-2011, 09:20 AM
It don't bother the average UK citizen at all, but the guy who is complaining clearly talks about it in terms of the 7/7 terrorist attacks on London. People lost their lives under that kind of circumstance, and it wasn't that long ago.

No, nobody complained when Washington was burned attacked in MW2 because it was fictional. But you can't pretend for a second that it wouldn't offend the victims families, american people, and residents of NY if the twin towers were attacked and brought down in MW3. Yes more people died in this terrorist attack, but it was still a terrorist attack, and people lost loved ones.

Saying that it's moaning for the sake of moaning is pretty trite, and you'd damned well change your tune if you parents or someone you knew had been killed on the tube whilst on there way to work in London that day. It wont stop me buying the game because i'm not overly sensitive to this kind of stuff, but it's not in the greatest taste.

Hamburgerous
06-05-2011, 11:47 AM
It don't bother the average UK citizen at all, but the guy who is complaining clearly talks about it in terms of the 7/7 terrorist attacks on London. People lost their lives under that kind of circumstance, and it wasn't that long ago.

No, nobody complained when Washington was burned attacked in MW2 because it was fictional. But you can't pretend for a second that it wouldn't offend the victims families, american people, and residents of NY if the twin towers were attacked and brought down in MW3. Yes more people died in this terrorist attack, but it was still a terrorist attack, and people lost loved ones.

Saying that it's moaning for the sake of moaning is pretty trite, and you'd damned well change your tune if you parents or someone you knew had been killed on the tube whilst on there way to work in London that day. It wont stop me buying the game because i'm not overly sensitive to this kind of stuff, but it's not in the greatest taste.

The problem with what you've said is that it's not really copying the attacks at all, it's just combat on the underground system. Not replicating the events of 7/7 in anyway. It's just another place to do some fighting.

If they were recreating the events as they happened, then yes that would be in very poor taste. But that is not the case.

I was in London on the day of the attack and on the subways. But I don't care about this in the slightest. Someone you know dying in the attacks shouldn't affect your beliefs on what is right and wrong. You should be self aware and altruistic enough to be able to establish what is right and wrong without having it spoon fed to you by circumstance.

There is nothing for anyone to be upset about here. It's not replicating the attack, but they are having some levels in London and the subway is a huge part of life in London so it would be weird to not have it feature.

Rivercurse
06-06-2011, 06:17 AM
I was in London on the day of the attack and on the subways. But I don't care about this in the slightest. Someone you know dying in the attacks shouldn't affect your beliefs on what is right and wrong. You should be self aware and altruistic enough to be able to establish what is right and wrong without having it spoon fed to you by circumstance.

Ok I'll let the families know that because it doesn't affect you, it shouldn't affect them either. This will come as a big relief to them I'm sure.

JDMBO1
06-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Ok I'll let the families know that because it doesn't affect you, it shouldn't affect them either. This will come as a big relief to them I'm sure.
I'd chalk his statement up to stupidity if I were you, either way it only as you've clearly pointed out effect those that lost someone, and those that didn't are not effected. It's just the callus trolls that say stupid things

Hamburgerous
06-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I'd chalk his statement up to stupidity if I were you, either way it only as you've clearly pointed out effect those that lost someone, and those that didn't are not effected. It's just the callus trolls that say stupid things

Urgh, try reading what was said not what you wanted to read. I didn't say
"it's not sad for people that lost their lives and their relatives and loved ones". I said that what is right and wrong is not affected by circumstance. Blowing up a train, bus or building is exactly as wrong before and after and exactly as irrelevant when dealing with it in a game that does something that is vaguely similar (happens in the same place) if you wanted to have a moan about it.

Itstheimpaler
06-06-2011, 05:21 PM
This is my message to all those who think modern warefare 3 is offensive wether you can read this or not but; you need to get over it and join the rest of the crowd and believe me im not the first to say this but if you don't have anything nice to say about what the mass of Earth support then F*** Y**!!!!

JDMBO1
06-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Urgh, try reading what was said not what you wanted to read. I didn't say
"it's not sad for people that lost their lives and their relatives and loved ones". I said that what is right and wrong is not affected by circumstance. Blowing up a train, bus or building is exactly as wrong before and after and exactly as irrelevant when dealing with it in a game that does something that is vaguely similar (happens in the same place) if you wanted to have a moan about it.
I stand correct though it can seem callus to say things like it doesn't effect me though, or why should I care. Even though it's a video game and your right it shouldn't matter, but to some that don't have common sense or are very emotional it will effect them.

Hamburgerous
06-06-2011, 09:04 PM
I stand correct though it can seem callus to say things like it doesn't effect me though, or why should I care. Even though it's a video game and your right it shouldn't matter, but to some that don't have common sense or are very emotional it will effect them.

Yeah, but you can't cater to the lowest common denominator.

If you blow up a building it's in bad taste because of the Oklahoma bombings (and many, many more), you can't set anything on a plane because of the Lockerbie Bombings (Or any number of the 9/11 planes), on a train because of the 2001 Angola train attack and as time goes by almost everything could be ruled out because a terrorist attack took place in a venue like it.

So unless you're recreating an event verbatim or replicating the circumstances very, very closely and intentionally I really don't think there is anything people should be upset about.

This is after all a war game. People die every single day in war and millions of people have died in wars but it's perfectly fine to make a game about that? Games have realistically and accurately depicted the D-Day landings where thousands of people died and that's fine? But something that merely shares the same setting as something that killed relatively few people is bad? No, I don't buy that for a second.

Doing something to intentionally hurt, discomfort or upset people is one thing but this really isn't that.

MC B0B x360a
06-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah, but you can't cater to the lowest common denominator.

If you blow up a building it's in bad taste because of the Oklahoma bombings (and many, many more), you can't set anything on a plane because of the Lockerbie Bombings (Or any number of the 9/11 planes), on a train because of the 2001 Angola train attack and as time goes by almost everything could be ruled out because a terrorist attack took place in a venue like it.

So unless you're recreating an event verbatim or replicating the circumstances very, very closely and intentionally I really don't think there is anything people should be upset about.

This is after all a war game. People die every single day in war and millions of people have died in wars but it's perfectly fine to make a game about that? Games have realistically and accurately depicted the D-Day landings where thousands of people died and that's fine? But something that merely shares the same setting as something that killed relatively few people is bad? No, I don't buy that for a second.

Doing something to intentionally hurt, discomfort or upset people is one thing but this really isn't that.

I agree with everything you say except for the last sentence. I could care less about them depicting a terrorist attack, however, I do think they are doing it intentionally. The reason I say this is because of the level "No Russion". That level was specifically made to push buttons, cause a stir, and to raise emotions. With that history, it would not suprise me if IW intentionally put this scene in MW3 to cause the same reactions. I am not saying it should be removed. I am just saying that I think it was intentionally placed in the game.

Ice Car
06-06-2011, 09:59 PM
If these scenes were in a tv show or movie no one would have blinked an eye. Cheap journalism.

My thoughts exactly. Also, it's a freaking game, and regardless of the rating little 10 year olds will be getting the game anyway.

Hamburgerous
06-06-2011, 10:59 PM
I agree with everything you say except for the last sentence. I could care less about them depicting a terrorist attack, however, I do think they are doing it intentionally. The reason I say this is because of the level "No Russion". That level was specifically made to push buttons, cause a stir, and to raise emotions. With that history, it would not suprise me if IW intentionally put this scene in MW3 to cause the same reactions. I am not saying it should be removed. I am just saying that I think it was intentionally placed in the game.

No Russian was intended to shock and bring home the horror of the things going on. BUT it wasn't recreating a specific horrible event, it was just a horrible thing. They've always said it was a horrible thing to get the nature of the thing across. And yes, if they were setting of 3 bombs on the Under ground and one on a bus then this would be comparable and done solely to shock and I'd agree. But they're not, they're having a chase scene on the underground.

No Russian was done to shock, but it wasn't intended to shock any one person more than any other. There are no "No Russian" survivors that found themselves reliving the nightmare or people who lost relatives and had the painful memories dragged up. It was just something done to shock, not persecute, offend or upset any specific demographic or collective more than any other.

I can't say this enough "It's just somewhere where the game takes place and happens to be somewhere where terrorists did something". The two facts are unrelated. It's London, you have to feature the tube, it's a huge part of life there. It's like saying if there was a terrorist incident in 2006 in Central Park it would have been inappropriate for Crysis 2 to have levels set in Central Park. It's just a nonsense. Plus, the events seen going on in game in New York seem to be much more harrowing and featuring greater loss of life. New York has lost so many more people to terrorism than London has, so that would surely be seen as in much poorer taste? I just can't understand at all why this tube thing is even being discussed.

MC B0B x360a
06-07-2011, 01:56 AM
No Russian was intended to shock and bring home the horror of the things going on. BUT it wasn't recreating a specific horrible event, it was just a horrible thing. They've always said it was a horrible thing to get the nature of the thing across. And yes, if they were setting of 3 bombs on the Under ground and one on a bus then this would be comparable and done solely to shock and I'd agree. But they're not, they're having a chase scene on the underground.

No Russian was done to shock, but it wasn't intended to shock any one person more than any other. There are no "No Russian" survivors that found themselves reliving the nightmare or people who lost relatives and had the painful memories dragged up. It was just something done to shock, not persecute, offend or upset any specific demographic or collective more than any other.

I can't say this enough "It's just somewhere where the game takes place and happens to be somewhere where terrorists did something". The two facts are unrelated. It's London, you have to feature the tube, it's a huge part of life there. It's like saying if there was a terrorist incident in 2006 in Central Park it would have been inappropriate for Crysis 2 to have levels set in Central Park. It's just a nonsense. Plus, the events seen going on in game in New York seem to be much more harrowing and featuring greater loss of life. New York has lost so many more people to terrorism than London has, so that would surely be seen as in much poorer taste? I just can't understand at all why this tube thing is even being discussed.

Again, I agree with everything you say. My point is that it wouldnt surprise me if this was intentionally done. I bet during design, this topic was discussed. I doubt it was totally coincidental. I think they decided to go ahead with it, and make it as tactful as possible. The bottom line is they know it would be talked about and gain attention. There is no way this topic being discussed and talked about in the media is a total shock to IW. <------That is my main point. Other than that I totally agree with you.

H0p3sfalL
06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Lame ! And back in the day when they were young there parents thought the Beatles were the anti-Christ.

JDMBO1
06-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Lame ! And back in the day when they were young there parents thought the Beatles were the anti-Christ.
sad part about that is it was partly true

Efase
06-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Sorry, but i think those images look delightful.

And its a game, seriously lol.

SpinalSynopsis
06-07-2011, 07:03 AM
I like explosions. :Bounce:

Hamburgerous
06-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Again, I agree with everything you say. My point is that it wouldnt surprise me if this was intentionally done. I bet during design, this topic was discussed. I doubt it was totally coincidental. I think they decided to go ahead with it, and make it as tactful as possible. The bottom line is they know it would be talked about and gain attention. There is no way this topic being discussed and talked about in the media is a total shock to IW. <------That is my main point. Other than that I totally agree with you.

And I guess we can't prove one way or another. But if I was in that meeting and someone suggested it could be taken in bad taste, I'd have laughed in their face and, if I was senior enough, fired their ass for being an idiot.

TTD187
06-08-2011, 06:04 AM
It's only Call of Duty anyway, all the kids will do is get increasingly more vulgar while parents make themselves worse :/ I'd like to blow up a place I'm familiar with though :)

Mother Beef
06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
I love the media, they are like the retards of society on a power high because people can hear what they have to say. Its like a grown up version of those people that whine and attempt to shove their opinons onto everyone else on Facebook/Myspace etc. Its truly pathetic.

If there is a kid impressionable/intelligence/demonic enough to go out and destroy major cities/the underground metro of London im pretty sure its not going to be Call of Duty that sparks it. The media just like to fuck around with anything that is the most popular at the current time, people are over the GTA thing and now they are like "oMg u Guiz! Ppl R play1n C0D, tH3rE R t3rr0rists 1n th@t g@m3! It5 oUr "Call of Duty" (LOLZ) to St0p tH1s" as if the constant coverage of every major war on the news doesnt effect childrens minds?

I didnt see any mass news articles over that terrible GI Joe film inwhich someone shot a rocket into the Eiffel tower causing it to disintegrate? Sure fictional technology but the premise is the same. Unless the game psychically has you constructing a bomb with the correct ingredients; you know the ingredients you can easily find by typing it into Google (but thats not a problem is it) then the media can shut the fuck up.