PDA

View Full Version : This is also a movie

GDMFS0AB
06-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Anyone seen it?

It's a comedy take on an old movie the government released to stop people from smoking cannabis waaay back in the 40's.

It was made into a cult comedy movie in the 70's and is now a cult classic.

Very funny stuff.

PsychicHorns
06-07-2011, 06:31 PM
I might check it out. Who's in it?

GDMFS0AB
06-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I might check it out. Who's in it?

Might be famous, I'm not big on these actors though. But back in the 1970's they may have been big.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/131667/Reefer-Madness/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=reefer+madness&urlrefer=search

Dorothy Short
Kenneth Craig
Lillian Miles
Dave O'Brien
Thelma White
Carleton Young
Warren McCullum
Pat Royale
Jospeh Forte
&
Harry Harvery Jr

Taken from the back of the box. Some names ring a bell, but i'm blank on who they are.

Good movie though. Def check it out.

cloud72
06-07-2011, 07:49 PM
everyone's heard of this, its classic.....still gets shown on tv here late night

KryptoniteDragon
06-07-2011, 07:56 PM
It was the propaganda film used to outlaw marijuana. The movie was a prejudicial piece of garbage that made it seem like smoking marijuana turned anyone into a crazed killer that would lose their mind. Made everyone scared enough to support laws against marijuana. The government at the time was just looking to scapegoat anything they could so they would have a reason to ask for gov. money for fed. law enforcement.

ITD Soldierboy
06-07-2011, 08:13 PM
And so was A Slip of the Tongue, The Naked City, The Set Up, etc. Many of the cases were named after movies. I was planning on actually watching all fifty movies that were featured in this game(the Golden Reels).

Necrophage33
06-07-2011, 08:32 PM
And so was A Slip of the Tongue, The Naked City, The Set Up, etc. Many of the cases were named after movies. I was planning on actually watching all fifty movies that were featured in this game(the Golden Reels).

Like he said, a bunch of the case names were taken from old Noir films. I personally don't care for Reefer Madness at all (the movie).

KryptoniteDragon
06-07-2011, 09:24 PM

You were going to actually watch 50 movies? umm...okay.

Annalie
06-07-2011, 09:52 PM

And your point is? i am going to watch a few movies from this also.

ITD Soldierboy
06-07-2011, 10:01 PM

Not all at once. Just whenever I could get around to it. I have Netflix and I'm sure there are at least a few of these on there. It's not one of those things I'm dying to do, just figured they were worth watching since they were mentioned.

DENAz666
06-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Reefer Madness is hilarious, definately worth a look

XxBlueSpade2xX
06-08-2011, 10:05 AM

I think they all are... I'm not going to look all 50 reels and all of the cases up. But, I took a class in Noire and all of the reels at least sounded like 40's noire films. Key Largo, Sunset BLVD, etc.

Reefer Madness was also remade a couple years ago. With Kristen Bell. It was not worth a remake...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404364/

GDMFS0AB
06-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Some of the movies would be worth a watch, Nothing beats a black and white classic.
Just don't think because they were mentioned they are all good, Because they won't be.

I even played most of L.A Noire with the B&W option enabled.

BUZZARDIO 1080
06-10-2011, 10:11 AM
HeY SOLDIER BOY, dont bring your trolling/fanboy ways on to this board,its for la noire , if you want to piss people off go do it on the cod boards.

BUZZARDIO 1080
06-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Some of the movies would be worth a watch, Nothing beats a black and white classic.
Just don't think because they were mentioned they are all good, Because they won't be.

I even played most of L.A Noire with the B&W option enabled.

i played the majority in b/w also, but not because i had the option turned on , , im just always low on health.

:woop: (not really)

Necrophage33
06-10-2011, 01:26 PM
HeY SOLDIER BOY, dont bring your trolling/fanboy ways on to this board,its for la noire , if you want to piss people off go do it on the cod boards.

Do you even know what trolling is? I just read all of Soldier Boy's posts in this thread and there isn't an ounce of trolling.

nufcneilo
06-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Do you even know what trolling is? I just read all of Soldier Boy's posts in this thread and there isn't an ounce of trolling.

Some people just love a good moan! Makes them feel better about themselves lol

Annalie
06-11-2011, 03:43 AM

You cant be serious... :eek:

bedlight
06-11-2011, 04:10 AM

There's a difference between a post & a sig.

BUZZARDIO 1080
06-13-2011, 08:30 AM
There's a difference between a post & a sig.
Sorry , didnt realise it was a sig, still sucks.im just hating all the hate.I mean there are to loads of games i canmt stand,but i dont feel the need to push my opions on others and slate them in every post i make (ie in my sig).

kinjoking
06-19-2011, 09:05 PM
soldier boy, i think ul find that all the cases are real films, its not a coincidence. all the golden reels are also real films. its not such a big suprise

JohnAizen
06-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Funny thing is I heard about this movie while watching "The History of Marijuana" on the History Channel

ITD Soldierboy
06-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Sorry , didnt realise it was a sig, still sucks.im just hating all the hate.I mean there are to loads of games i canmt stand,but i dont feel the need to push my opions on others and slate them in every post i make (ie in my sig).

If you don't like something in my post or in my signature, report it and a mod or admin will take a look and see if it deserves deletion. In the meantime, you can put me on ignore and not have to worry about my 'hate' for a game that I don't like. I'm not forcing my opinion down on anyone, and there are plenty of options you can take in order to not read anyone else's opinions....

soldier boy, i think ul find that all the cases are real films, its not a coincidence. all the golden reels are also real films. its not such a big suprise

I figured they were all the titles but didn't feel like looking it up. Do you know if the cases have any relation to the film except for just the title? Plot similarities or something of that effect?

MushroomToaster
07-12-2011, 05:55 AM
I've never seen the comedy remake, but I have the propaganda film on DVD. It's pretty funny, but also somewhat concerning that they could make that kind of crap and have people take them seriously...

mjc0961
07-12-2011, 07:30 AM
You were going to actually watch 50 movies? umm...okay.And what exactly is difficult about watching 50 movies? It's about as hard as playing 50 video games: not hard at all, as long as you don't do something senseless like watching them all in a row with no breaks.

The Bum-Mobile
07-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah. A lot of cases from LA Noire are either exact movie titles or references. And as mentioned the film reel collectibles are all real movies. Really made me smile to see some cult classics in there.

Echilion
07-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Reefer Madness is hilarious, definately worth a look

This. One of my favorite films

Though I don't think it is that well known, more of a cult film. I could be wrong though...:)

Midersaw
07-17-2011, 02:21 AM
I thought Reefer Madness (the movie) was a bit boring. Good for a few laughs, but not as good as I thought it would be after everybody built it up so much. I just watched The Naked City on Netflix streaming and the plot is exactly the same as in the game. I've also seen a few of the films named in the golden reels, mostly the Bogart ones and M, which was pretty enjoyable.

DborKnowsBest
08-19-2011, 05:44 PM
It's up on letmewatchthis.ch if anyone wants to check it out that doesn't have netflix...it's alright, not the greatest I thought the special features on the DVD were better though.