PDA

View Full Version : Too much QTE?

Vindicator51
06-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure how many (if any of you) saw the Ninja Gaiden 3 interview at Gamespot. I just threw up a little inside, because the amount of QTE's during the combat was sickening. I don't know if this is going to last all the way through the game, but this made me reconsider this game for a later time.

The reasoning behind the QTE's was that you could cut deeper and finish the enemy off.

Edit: This guy isn't as good as the one playing at gamespot's interview, but it gives you a sense of what to expect.

YouTube - ‪"Ninja Gaiden 3" E3 Gameplay Demo‬‏

Devolon
06-08-2011, 03:13 PM
The problem goes deeper than that, it just looks garbage by all standards. It's slow, dumbed down, uninspired. BUT it looks more accessible, yee-pee-fucking-doo!

Vindicator51
06-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah, i definitely agree with you. I guess this was the inevitable outcome.

jackofblades
06-08-2011, 05:27 PM
what made ninja gaiden so good that it became really hard, too many games have these QTE now

MACdanstaface
06-09-2011, 04:21 AM
Yeah, i definitely agree with you. I guess this was the inevitable outcome.

I had a feeling it would turn out like this...

Real shame :(

Jig9798
06-12-2011, 03:57 PM
honestly, i remain cautiously optimisitic about this game. they've stated that the game is only 30% completed so there is still a lot left to see.

Chances are much of what we have seen so far is basic gameplay on the easiest difficulty on the beginning of the first stage/chapter/level. I'm fairly certain that QTE's are only displaying a tutorial and will disappear over time. Looks like they've gotten rid of the scrolls on dead ninjas that were scattered all over the place in chp1 NG2.

I think someone said they thought QTE's displayed during combat were some kind of modified OT system. In that sense, I can definitely see that not all combos will trigger this type of OT and that you are only seeing it a lot because the difficulty setting is so low (i.e. Path of the Acolyte). Maybe when you are playing on higher difficulties this type of OT system won't be triggered all the time.

Think about it in terms of NG2. PotMN was exponentially more difficult than PotA (moidified AI, different enemies, etc).

The one thing that I'm kind of worried about, like most of you are, is the UT system. I really liked the essence management, the OLC, and the level 1 and level 2 UTs. But again, these types of elements made NG2 much easier to beat on PotMN.

Overall I think the jury is still out for me.

Dark Anaconda
06-12-2011, 05:32 PM
You are right about the UT ..i personally dont like the style in UT in NG3 ( no martial art swordstyle effects like in NG2 if you unleash your UT level 2 )

If you get your weapon upgraded in NG3 ,maybe we will see a better form of the UT.

The current UT looks boring...Ryu is just killing 3 random enemies with 1 hit ,very lame.

I hope they will change the UT effect and make it much cooler and badass.

If you make an UT level 2 attack in NG2 ,you are like " OMG ...martial arts at his BEST ,u cant top it"

MACdanstaface
06-12-2011, 10:25 PM
The only fun way to have qte's would be like they did in way of the samurai 3

But it seems quite different here...

Dark Anaconda
06-13-2011, 09:22 AM
QTE`s: I was in youtube and i saw an interview about NG3.
If i remember right ,the QTE`s is just a tutorial/ just in the tutorial level ,
which we can see in the gameplay trailer ( First Level = Tutorial Level too ).

So maybe we wont see the QTE`s later in the game...

My first thoughts about the QTE`s : OMg...not good...but now after i got some informations i`m like: " Ok if this is only a tutorial > everything is fine "

I hope i am right. :o

Devolon
06-13-2011, 10:07 AM
QTE`s: I was in youtube and i saw an interview about NG3.
If i remember right ,the QTE`s is just a tutorial/ just in the tutorial level ,
which we can see in the gameplay trailer ( First Level = Tutorial Level too ).

So maybe we wont see the QTE`s later in the game...

My first thoughts about the QTE`s : OMg...not good...but now after i got some informations i`m like: " Ok if this is only a tutorial > everything is fine "

I hope i am right. :o

It doesn't make any difference for me - QTE or not QTE, this new OT mechanic simply seems uninteresting compared to NG2's.

I mean, from what I saw, it works something like this: you do a XXXXX combo, and basically your last X gets stuck in the guy and you have to press X another time in order to finish him, and if you do it too late / too soon you don't get the kill. It's just completely worthless IMO, I don't see the point. NG2's OT system was much deeper, I don't understand why they decided to get rid of it, and come up with an inferior feature.

And, from a presentation standpoint, even the most casual NG player can see that it simply looks a bit shit compared to NG2's awesome dismemberments.

It's like the new kunai wall climbing thing - why the fuck would Ryu do that, instead of jumping / wall-running?

Dark Anaconda
06-13-2011, 01:18 PM
I know exactly what u mean ,in the first place i was shocked...i was disppointed...but i tried to look away from all this ( except the UT what is really annoying and i cant forget this no matter how hard i try ) just to see what Hayashi will make with NG3.

This is the ultimate Test for Hayashi ( the new head of team ninja ) to prove himself worthy.

If he fails ,he will flamed by ppl who are "loyal" to Itagakis work ,ot the other side ,if he manage to make NG3 better than NG1 Black/Sigma NG2/NG2 Sigma we should not worry about the future of NG.

I hated so much ,talked with some real NG Fans ( not new fanboys who didn`t played any NG ) and Experts , in the end we have to wait for the final product ...i mean i have to play it to the end and after that i will write a real comment to this thread seeing this with the eyes of a NG Veteran.

But like i said ,i know exactly what u mean.

By the way: Hayashi was one of the AI Programmers ,who were responsible for the difficulty in the NG Games.

for the kunai wall climbing thing: Yeah i totally understand you ,what i`ve heard so far is: they wanted to make Ryu use his Kunais at this feet + they wanted to show us how it does feel to "be/act" like a Ninja.

It reminds me a lot of Assassins Creed ,but they want to show the "human" side of Ryu + "how it feel to act like a ninja > stealth attacks ,climbing..and other things".

About the dismembering stuff: Yeah i loved the dismembering shit in NG2 ,this was totaly badass ,i wish you could ripp the enemy apart after you broke some bones or after you put your sword into his body.

But again i can say " i can live with the dreadful sound of breaking bones instead of dismembering ,but a combination of breaking bones + dismembering would be perfect to me "

The only thing i CANT accept is the lame Ultimate Technique...

Of by the way: killed enemies will disappear after 30 seconds ,because of the lag problem in NG2 ( Temple of Sacrifice > Stairs is a good example )...but honestly i loved seeing killed enemies in the ground..

rc deaths agent
09-24-2011, 08:26 PM
It doesn't make any difference for me - QTE or not QTE, this new OT mechanic simply seems uninteresting compared to NG2's.

I mean, from what I saw, it works something like this: you do a XXXXX combo, and basically your last X gets stuck in the guy and you have to press X another time in order to finish him, and if you do it too late / too soon you don't get the kill. It's just completely worthless IMO, I don't see the point. NG2's OT system was much deeper, I don't understand why they decided to get rid of it, and come up with an inferior feature.

And, from a presentation standpoint, even the most casual NG player can see that it simply looks a bit shit compared to NG2's awesome dismemberments.

It's like the new kunai wall climbing thing - why the fuck would Ryu do that, instead of jumping / wall-running? I agree 100%. So let down by this. NG2 is one of my favorite games and they completely ruined it with this crap.

Guess we'll have to wait for Devils Third.

Spartanwarninja
09-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Hayashi better not fuck this game up.

I will go through the length of posting a petitiion to get him out of lead position in Team Ninja. An essay analysis of why he's terrible at his job and a video anaysis of how he ruined this game.

From the looks of it, it's following a series of mistakes. I already have him solidly pinned down on bad attempt at "Realism", bad interactions "I'm got a family mate" and loss of continuity in the series.

Even though there are more terrble things to mention, I can''t confirm if it's on full release. So I''l keep reserved judgement.

But actually, at this point to me, it's not

"will he fuck up?"

It's

"How bad is the fuck up?"

sryushinobi13
02-27-2012, 01:24 AM
Hey SpartanWarNinja, if you are serious about a petition against Hayashi let me know.

I know quite a few people that are not thrilled with the way he is neutering the franchise. The only thing he has ever done for the franchise that I liked is polish the graphics a little.

He's borrowed too much from ninja blade trying to make it appeal to casual gamers. The qte was too much for that and that arm thing Ryu has reminds me too much of Nero. Hayashi seems to have no originality.
I hope the game will not be as weak as it seems but the way they are trying to appeal to a larger audience does not have me expecting much. They should have just made a spin-off franchise with Kasumi, Ayane, or Hayate with Hayabusa as unlockable.