PDA

View Full Version : Which magazine?

cjdavies
06-12-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm considering getting an X-Box ,something to read while on lunch at work and the Internet is slow, travelling home on the bus etc.

I have looked and there are 3 magazines and can't decide on which one:
Official Xbox 360
X360

CRA166 T
06-12-2011, 01:24 PM
If you're an iPhone user then there is an app which i use, just search for Xbox 360 magazine, its basically the mag on your phone bit of a pain to zoom in etc but the mags are half the RRP.

cjdavies
06-12-2011, 01:36 PM
If you're an iPhone user then there is an app which i use, just search for Xbox 360 magazine, its basically the mag on your phone bit of a pain to zoom in etc but the mags are half the RRP.

I don't have an I phone, I just have a basic mobile.

loganlogan80
06-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Get Gameinformer! I've read lots of gaming magazines and that one is by far my favorite.

Starstrukk X360A
06-12-2011, 05:58 PM
If you're looking for an actual, physical magazine, then I'd suggest Game Informer over the others out there. I've been a reader for quite a while now.

mgorsi
06-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Go to gamestop, sign up for powerrewards for $15, and you'll get a free gameinformer mag for a year!!

rob magic
06-12-2011, 06:58 PM
I have always bought Gamesmaster. I recently started getting 360gamer aswell but found it to be quite boring so I just stick to gamesmaster.

SectarianOrigin
06-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I'd go with GameInformer too. Since they don't strictly report on any one of the three big gaming companies I generally expect them to be a bit less biased when it comes to opinions. EGM was my favorite until they stopped printing it.

CyanideSpirit
06-12-2011, 08:04 PM
I'd go with Game Informer but for the Xbox 360 primarily, Official Xbox Magazine is great! Plus It comes with a demo disc that usually has some unique gamer pics or a premium theme sometimes! :)

Supra Omnes
06-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I'd go with Game Informer but for the Xbox 360 primarily, Official Xbox Magazine is great! Plus It comes with a demo disc that usually has some unique gamer pics or a premium theme sometimes! :)

Definitely agree with this post. Game Informer is the best gamer magazine, but if you're looking specifically for xbox magazine, oxm with the demo disc option is your best bet. One of my favorite themes, the Left 4 Dead theme, was made available on one of the discs.

Daunting Lady
06-12-2011, 08:56 PM
If you want an Xbox magazine only, go for the official one. I buy it on occasion, its good and the last time I bought it I got this really nice free theme.

Burning Karma
06-13-2011, 02:07 AM
I'd go with GameInformer too. Since they don't strictly report on any one of the three big gaming companies I generally expect them to be a bit less biased when it comes to opinions. EGM was my favorite until they stopped printing it.
Heads up, EGM has been back in print for a little while now.

Andarion
06-13-2011, 02:13 AM
ill further the game informer support. i like the layout, i like the cover stories, and i find that my opinions are generally pretty close to theirs.

i may have to start checking out OXM though. i like the idea of demo discs with free stuff :p

Worhammer
06-13-2011, 04:23 AM
I used to read GamePro monthly, till they changed styles most recently (2008 or so, IIRC) and started to suck balls. Switched back to Game Informer then (which I had read before GamePro, and switched to GamePro when GI started sucking)

I'm happy. OXM is a good one if you're just looking for straight up xbox though.

TacticalTodger
06-13-2011, 04:25 AM
OXM . I've had it since 05 and I've been a happy chappy since :D

SectarianOrigin
06-13-2011, 01:09 PM

Say whaaaaaaa??????

Dav13s
06-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Go to gamestop, sign up for powerrewards for $15, and you'll get a free gameinformer mag for a year!!

Gamestop and GameInformer are not over here in the UK. Good job so many people checked that before posting...

OXM is pretty good, generally the stuff on the discs is available through the MarketPlace though I think (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's only random GamerPics that aren't available). I used to get X360 quite a lot which was ok, but I've been reading more online since I got a new job sat at a computer all day.

Nasherx
06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
gamesmaster is a good one

KingAntz
06-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I found the 360 Gamer mag isnt just cheaper but gives way more info then any of the other mags out there

lutz1990
06-13-2011, 04:13 PM
TGameinformer is by far the best game mag out there. Yeah it covers all the consoles but each issue has new stuff, unlike other mags where its like they just copy n pasted the last mag into it.

Burning Karma
06-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Say whaaaaaaa??????
Check it out: http://www.egmnow.com/.

13ip0lar
06-14-2011, 04:11 AM

Definitely agree with this post. Game Informer is the best gamer magazine, but if you're looking specifically for xbox magazine, oxm with the demo disc option is your best bet. One of my favorite themes, the Left 4 Dead theme, was made available on one of the discs.

Say whaaaaaaa??????

I'll have to check out OXM, because I also loved EGM, but then they stopped printing. Then several months ago, I got one issue in the mail as their way of trying to get me to resubscribe, and tbh I would, but I practically only game on my Xbox now. So...

The only thing I enjoyed about EGM, as dorky as it seems, was the posters and such that came with each issue. Then I believe if you subscribed they wouldn't send you the "bonuses" that you would get, had you picked it up at the store. Super lame...

Anyways OXM seems to be like a good deal. Dumb nerd question but do they have posters and such? Or is the disc really the only "bonus" that the magazines come with?

Worhammer
06-14-2011, 03:51 PM
I'll have to check out OXM, because I also loved EGM, but then they stopped printing. Then several months ago, I got one issue in the mail as their way of trying to get me to resubscribe, and tbh I would, but I practically only game on my Xbox now. So...

The only thing I enjoyed about EGM, as dorky as it seems, was the posters and such that came with each issue. Then I believe if you subscribed they wouldn't send you the "bonuses" that you would get, had you picked it up at the store. Super lame...

Anyways OXM seems to be like a good deal. Dumb nerd question but do they have posters and such? Or is the disc really the only "bonus" that the magazines come with?

When I used to read they had a "premium" subscription (which is how you get the discs, IIRC) which also includes posters and such - basically, it's not the "subscription" version of the mag, but the news stand version. It's just a little more per year (I think like 5 bucks more, I forget)

Anyway, yes, they used to. I don't know if they still do.

Gamestop and GameInformer are not over here in the UK. Good job so many people checked that before posting...

OXM is pretty good, generally the stuff on the discs is available through the MarketPlace though I think (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's only random GamerPics that aren't available). I used to get X360 quite a lot which was ok, but I've been reading more online since I got a new job sat at a computer all day.

How the heck are we supposed to know where Port Talbot is? That's like me saying I'm from San Bruno. Do you know where that is? (without google :P)

Sure, if you live near there obviously you know. Otherwise, probably not.

DeekBoy
06-14-2011, 07:17 PM
I am subscribed to both OXM and Game Informer and I prefer OXM. I enjoy their articles more than Game Informer. Game Informer has bigger pages and the art looks great. Buy both and see which one you prefer :D.

Worhammer
06-14-2011, 09:47 PM
I am subscribed to both OXM and Game Informer and I prefer OXM. I enjoy their articles more than Game Informer. Game Informer has bigger pages and the art looks great. Buy both and see which one you prefer :D.
Best advice so far.

Or just go to the store and thumb through both and see which one you prefer before you buy them. That's even better advice than his.

I WIN!!!!! YAY ME!!!!

*cough*

Burning Karma
06-15-2011, 01:22 AM
Best advice so far.

Or just go to the store and thumb through both and see which one you prefer before you buy them. That's even better advice than his.

I WIN!!!!! YAY ME!!!!

*cough*
Except you have to open the wrapping that OXM is in first. Probably not the best of ideas. :p

Kairi
06-15-2011, 01:15 PM
I would check out Official Xbox Magazine and Gameinformer :)

Worhammer
06-16-2011, 03:07 AM
Except you have to open the wrapping that OXM is in first. Probably not the best of ideas. :p

I used to work in 7-11. People do that all the time. In fact, even now when I go to the grocery store I usually see at least one copy of OXM or GamePro opened :P