PDA

View Full Version : Warning signs that my Xbox is about to die

JAW LV
06-13-2011, 05:23 PM
I've owned my Xbox for a little over 2 years now, and I've only had one so I have no experience with replacing Xbox's. Recently my Xbox started being louder then normal. Also, when I push the physical eject button on the Xbox itself the tray won't open the first time... however if I choose to eject from the Xbox dashboard I don't have this problem.

Are these warning signs that my Xbox is about to kick the bucket? Other then the two problems mentioned above, there is nothing else wrong at this time.

niko da bos
06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
the noise problem is fairly common id say, it could be a sign that the xbox is going downhill, but you couldnt say for sure. i actually have had this issue with my last xbox aswell (and now my current one is starting to get louder than id like). i would say maybe get a good intercooler, but my last box ended up just getting louder when i bought one :(

the game tray was actually the reason my first xbox died, the dashboard would always read 'open tray' after trying to read the game for a couple minutes. basically the tray goofed because i pushed it in manually instead of using the controller or button on the box :/. also moving the xbox with a game inside can mess up the tray.

briht2000
06-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Intercooler's actually have a history of reducing the xbox 360's life and value especially if you purchase an original one. Remember, if your buying an intercooler make sure it has its own power source and not one that that relies heavily on the xbox 360's power.

bblcreator8790
06-13-2011, 07:11 PM
That certainly is not a good sign, although it does not gurantee that it will die anytime soon, you might be able to last another year with it, maybe only another month.

I would not buy an intercooler, as they have been proven to cause problems with 360's (although maybe there are newer, better ones I'm not aware of). Your best bet is to just make sure the console is clean and dust free and keep it well ventilated to try to squeeze as much life out of it as possible.

Opiate42
06-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Intercooler's actually have a history of reducing the xbox 360's life and value especially if you purchase an original one. Remember, if your buying an intercooler make sure it has its own power source and not one that that relies heavily on the xbox 360's power.

This^^ I have the one with it's own AC adapter and doesn't rely on the Xbox power supply. It's loud, but works like a charm and has been on my xbox since I got 3 years ago.

The other one is awful, the plug-through design using the xbox power supply forces the xbox to work even harder to run the extra fans and in turn overheats itself...dumb design catch-22.

SenileMunkee
06-13-2011, 08:28 PM
My Xbox just died over the weekend. Seemed to have been working great - then I was playing Xmen Wolverines and started getting these "lines" in the graphics. Didn't think any thing of it because a friend popped on an dwe were going to play gears 2.

Put GOW2 in and the flames were are all blocked out in the display. Shut it down and cleaned it out. Went a couple days and during Xmen the lines came back, dropped to dash and my avatars face was all garbled. Shut it off. Turned it back on and had an E74 :(

Went to Walmart at 11PM and bought a new one heh

ZEX NITROUS
06-13-2011, 08:37 PM
My advice to other 360 owners and future 360 owners is to get a big enough harddrive so you can install the games that you play on the harddrive. You can always delete the games you don't want to play anymore and get that space back. Intalling game to harddrive means the game disc woun't spin while playing so that means less stress on the console. I've had no problems with my console doing this, i have 250GB harddrive.

chaoticboar2
06-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Well my I just got RROD the other day and my xbox gave no real warning signs though I can't say I wasn't expecting it after the year and a half I've had it.

CT6CrazyCanuck
06-13-2011, 11:31 PM
considering the average life of an Xbox Console, yours may be past it's prime, however considering my first one lasted for 5 years (launch console) I wouldn't call the coroner on it just yet.

SteveDGamer
06-14-2011, 12:58 AM
It sounds like the disk reader is going to fail. I would recommend ringing Microsoft Customer Support, and telling them your problem! They will most likely tell you some troubleshooting steps. After you've tried them out. They'll probably tell you to send your Xbox360 out for repairs. I would do this now rather then later, but that's just me!

There isn't really anything you could do to stop the loudness. Apart from getting a new Xbox360, or installing games onto your HDD, your Xbox360 will be quiter when playing games. It's only a matter of time before your Xbox360 finally dies. Let's face it....

well I personally think the disk reader will break sooner or later!

13ip0lar
06-14-2011, 04:06 AM
To be fair mine is a year old and I've had it RROD a few times. However, I believe the error is E76? Which is an HD problem, so usually it shakes loose or what have you. All I do is pop it off, and make sure it's connected right and not loose, and problem solved. So aside from that I have had no problems at all. Keep in mind I got my HD refurb'ed, but I have literally had no problems with it. Just since my Xbox lays horizontally, if someone bumps into what it's laying on, the HD as stated will shake loose, for lack of better terminology, and I just have to reconnect it.

ZEX NITROUS
06-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Also, don't have your xbox sitting upright. Having it set down how it's supposed to keeps your game disc from moving. As other ppl said the disc drive is the majority of the problem in most cases.

DENAz666
06-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Most common signs are:

Noise, if its getting louder, then its really struggling. It could also mean a build up of dust on the fan.
Jaggy lines on the screen. Usually a sign of E74 error (one red ring)
Xbox not turning on properly when you push the button.

Sometimes it just happens without warning though

newbsicle
06-14-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm not doctor but I give it 2-weeks max. :/

You're going to have to let her go.

Spanish Assault
06-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Freezing is a sign of the dreaded RROD....on my first xbox the games would freeze every so often. Of course I tried to downplay it but I knew the RROD was comming...sure enough...while boosting the 10k Mile achievement for Superman I got it.

Meniketti
06-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Since my Xbox is pretty old now, (I think it's a launch xbox.. Not sure though) Is the Xbox slim better?

Beefdagreat
06-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Since my Xbox is pretty old now, (I think it's a launch xbox.. Not sure though) Is the Xbox slim better?
Yes the slim is better.

It makes less noise, bigger harddrive space, kinect ready, 5 usb ports instead of 3, and it has alot of vents!

Spanish Assault
06-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Yes the slim is better.

It makes less noise, bigger harddrive space, kinect ready, 5 usb ports instead of 3, and it has alot of vents!
Where is the 3rd USB on the old xbox?

koopakiller64
06-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Where is the 3rd USB on the old xbox?

Back of the xbox right next to the ethernet cable slot. Great spot for wired headsets or the xbox wifi adapter.

http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/32390552-2-300-DT1.gif