PDA

View Full Version : Which features would australians like to have on xbox live?

BluWolve
06-13-2011, 11:30 PM
After much frustration i have decided to ask the general Australian customers on this site what they feel should be part of the xbox live service we pay for.

Some of you may not know exactly what other regions are getting when compared to Australians so i thought this might help make you aware, plus for those that do know you can vent your frustration here.

also if there are people from other regions reading this please feel free to post any services you recieve as part of your xbox live subscription that i and others may not be aware of.

here are a few off the top of my head that i personally would like to see in Australia:

Xbox Live Rewards, NetFlix, Hulu, TV shows on Zune, Indie Games.

this is my first thread here, so any advice and/or corrections would be much appreciated.

SwizzlesMum
06-14-2011, 04:17 AM
All I want is the same demos at the same time, a la Dungeon Siege 3.

BluWolve
06-14-2011, 05:16 AM
All I want is the same demos at the same time, a la Dungeon Siege 3.
really? doesnt it annoy you at all that we pay more than people in the united states for gold, and we actually get much much less content?

BluWolve
06-14-2011, 05:17 AM
oh another thing i have been waiting for is kinect speech recognition. i am starting to lose hope that we will ever get that in australia. they said FEB-MARCH 2011 and still nothing....

SwizzlesMum
06-14-2011, 06:03 AM
really? doesnt it annoy you at all that we pay more than people in the united states for gold, and we actually get much much less content?

No, I dont compare us to other countries that way. Im used to what we pay, and dont know it any different. Im more jealous that Sony Online is free.

DENAz666
06-14-2011, 06:11 AM
God dam voice control for Kinect is one thing! That pisses me off because voice control has been ready and tested for us since november last year, and they just haven't turned it on!!!

Access to the cool group games, like 1 vs 100 (even though thats no longer running).

Consistent release dates, although we do get some earlier then the states, but it should be the same for all.

Access to the games that just aren't released here, Harm's Way, Aegis Wing plus a heap more that I can't think of right now. Not talking about ones that get RC'd, but the ones just just don't get released

Xbox Rewards. This shouldn't be limited to certain countries at all. In fact we probably pay more money towards xbox live then the average american gamer (just due to the price, not because we game more or anything), so why shouldn't we be rewarded

And god dam forums (sorry not xbox live)!!!! Still pissed that we have yet to get our regional forums back on xbox.com yet nearly every other country has. Turns out getting the Earth Defence Force forum up is more important then our regional forums.

I could go on too, has been a sore point for me for a while now

SwizzlesMum
06-14-2011, 06:19 AM
I WAS looking forward to 1 vs 100.

FYI, I keep an AU Release date list here: http://360.mmgn.com/Forums/Xbox-Software/Xbox-360-Game-Release-Dates-UP

FRANKSEY
06-14-2011, 06:31 AM
A fair price on retail games. (we pay twice as much than people in the US, and our dollar is stronger.)

Also can someone please tell me what Netflix is? I've always wondered.

BluWolve
06-14-2011, 09:02 AM
A fair price on retail games. (we pay twice as much than people in the US, and our dollar is stronger.)

Also can someone please tell me what Netflix is? I've always wondered.
netflix is pretty much like zune, you know movies and tv shows etc.

master_shake_350
06-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Dude everyone in countries outside of the US and UK pay more and get less.

BluWolve
06-14-2011, 02:49 PM
yeah i know, but that doesnt make me feel any better

Giptuc
06-15-2011, 12:15 AM

Yeah, but that shouldnt make a difference. Australia, the UK and the US are probably the 3 biggest countries in terms of 360 gaming, but the amount of shit on xbox live Australia DOESNT get is stupid.

Its the same with everything though. The Aussie dollar is stronger then the US dollar at the moment, and yet everything is still more expensive. I drove past an import yard yesterday and saw an 08 Mustang for $100,000. I could get two of those in the US for under that.

The exchange rate and the ratios really need to be fixed up, or the content that Microsoft keeps putting out needs to come to other countries, because as much as a majority of people in the US like to think they are the only country in the world that matters, they arnt. Other people like to have things as well

BluWolve
06-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Yeah, but that shouldnt make a difference. Australia, the UK and the US are probably the 3 biggest countries in terms of 360 gaming, but the amount of shit on xbox live Australia DOESNT get is stupid.

Its the same with everything though. The Aussie dollar is stronger then the US dollar at the moment, and yet everything is still more expensive. I drove past an import yard yesterday and saw an 08 Mustang for $100,000. I could get two of those in the US for under that.

The exchange rate and the ratios really need to be fixed up, or the content that Microsoft keeps putting out needs to come to other countries, because as much as a majority of people in the US like to think they are the only country in the world that matters, they arnt. Other people like to have things as well

well said.

in regards to the exchange rate and prices, i understand when xbox live for the 360 first went online the USD was stronger than the AUD, so it made sense for Australia to pay a little extra. but that was in 2005, 6 years ago! im sure if the situation was reversed microsoft would have no worries changing the prices of their products and/or services to match the exchange rate.

i understand it would be unreasonable to expect them to continuously update prices every time the exchange rate changes by a few cents, but how about once a year? if they changed it at the beginning or the end of the financial year it wouldnt be such a big deal. a massive company like microsoft would easily have the manpower and resources to do it. its almost like they think "if we keep our mouths shut no one will notice"

well guess what microsoft? people do notice, and i cant speak for everyone, but for me personally, the price of things is a HUGE deciding factor on whether i purchase something or not. it doesnt only keep money out of microsofts huge money vault, it hurts the other businesses like games stores, because i refuse to buy a game from a store when i can get it sent to my home, for half the price, from another country like the UK. which brings us to the topic of region protection, but thats another story.

Ethiebeefy
06-19-2011, 03:25 AM
I want what US gets and i want Content the same time

Veedrock
06-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Do you really think you don't get those because of some bias?

Microsoft can not provide you with Hulu or Netflix. Hulu is a US-only service, while Netflix is only available in North America at this time. Microsoft can't change this; both are separate entities, not owned nor controlled by Microsoft. The service being unavailable to you is entirely out of their hands.

Lack of TV shows on Zune can be chalked up to licensing restrictions, which is the reason Hulu is US-only. Microsoft can not make their current TV shows available to anyone and everyone everywhere, they would need to get entirely separate licensing agreements for each individual region.

You actually have some merit here as Microsoft might be able to license TV shows for you, but there are a lot of hurdles involved in this that we may never know about (example: your localized license owner might have given exclusive rights to another provider, or refused Microsoft completely, and we would never know). But hoping that they bring over all of their current US content to the international market isn't gonna happen.

About Indie Games, can't you get around that with a separate foreign account? But if you want a legitimate answer on why Australia doesn't get them, straight from Wikipedia:

Indie Games are not available in Australia, due to the requirement for all games to be rated by the Australian Classification Board, and the prohibitive expenses involved.

This could also be a reason that other games launch at a later date there.

BluWolve
06-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Do you really think you don't get those because of some bias?

Microsoft can not provide you with Hulu or Netflix. Hulu is a US-only service, while Netflix is only available in North America at this time. Microsoft can't change this; both are separate entities, not owned nor controlled by Microsoft. The service being unavailable to you is entirely out of their hands.

Lack of TV shows on Zune can be chalked up to licensing restrictions, which is the reason Hulu is US-only. Microsoft can not make their current TV shows available to anyone and everyone everywhere, they would need to get entirely separate licensing agreements for each individual region.

You actually have some merit here as Microsoft might be able to license TV shows for you, but there are a lot of hurdles involved in this that we may never know about (example: your localized license owner might have given exclusive rights to another provider, or refused Microsoft completely, and we would never know). But hoping that they bring over all of their current US content to the international market isn't gonna happen.

About Indie Games, can't you get around that with a separate foreign account? But if you want a legitimate answer on why Australia doesn't get them, straight from Wikipedia:

Indie Games are not available in Australia, due to the requirement for all games to be rated by the Australian Classification Board, and the prohibitive expenses involved.

This could also be a reason that other games launch at a later date there.
ok i admit you are right about hulu and netflix, they are NOT controlled by microsoft, but this thread is about things Australians WOULD LIKE to see on xbox live. not why we dont get them (although i do encourage this type discussion).

Although i understand we CAN'T have some of those things, that doesnt change that fact that i would LIKE to have them on my xbox.

you are also right about indie games, that is not microsofts fault either. Yes we could go and create a foriegn account to download this content, but that would be considered fraud, and fraud is illegal and should not be encouraged.

i am well aware of Australias annoying rating system, which makes us miss out on alot of content, for example Mortal Kombat is banned in Australia because we do not currently have an R18+ rating for games. but once again that does not change the fact that it would be nice to have indie games available.

Nowhere in this thread did i say that it is microsofts fault we dont have Hulu, Netflix, Tv shows on Zune or indie games in australia. and i also have never said in this thread, up until what i am about to type, that microsoft was being biased.

you did however give some interesting information for other people that might not be aware of those things like you and I are.

But can you also explain why Aussies dont have xbox live rewards, or why we pay more than US residents for Gold subs, MS points and games on demand, among other things? because that is where i personally think MS is being prejudice. those things are directly controlled by MS, and Australians (and perhaps other countries) do not currently recieve them.

BluWolve
06-19-2011, 11:00 PM
oh another thing i have been waiting for is kinect speech recognition. i am starting to lose hope that we will ever get that in australia. they said FEB-MARCH 2011 and still nothing....
ok here is an update about kinect speech recognition for australia and new zealand. check out this link HERE (http://123kinect.com/kinect-voice-recognition-confirmed-australian/19935/) if interested. i personally wont be holding my breath, as it is not the first time we have heard this. but lets hope they actually follow through this time!

DigitalGear
06-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Honestly, I think our XBL is fine as it is. But that's just me and probably only me.

You could always make a foreign account.

BluWolve
06-20-2011, 01:33 AM
Honestly, I think our XBL is fine as it is. But that's just me and probably only me.

You could always make a foreign account.
dont get me wrong, i enjoy the features we do have, but it would be nice to be able to get at least some of the extra stuff other regions get. making a foriegn account is fraud, and fraud is illegal. so best not to openly endorse such behaviour.

SwizzlesMum
06-20-2011, 01:56 AM
dont get me wrong, i enjoy the features we do have, but it would be nice to be able to get at least some of the extra stuff other regions get. making a foriegn account is fraud, and fraud is illegal. so best not to openly endorse such behaviour.

That beiing said, I have an AU account. I also have a US and a JAP account. I havent used them since the first 6 months of the 360s release, and they became virtually useless once the update came that made silver members have to wait a week for downloading free content.

Either way, Im happy enough with Xbox Live in AU. I have all the things i need.

BluWolve
06-20-2011, 02:26 AM
That beiing said, I have an AU account. I also have a US and a JAP account. I havent used them since the first 6 months of the 360s release, and they became virtually useless once the update came that made silver members have to wait a week for downloading free content.

Either way, Im happy enough with Xbox Live in AU. I have all the things i need.
really? i have never heard that before...? when did they bring that update out?

SwizzlesMum
06-20-2011, 02:30 AM
really? i have never heard that before...? when did they bring that update out?

It took effect in the 'Fall Update' in Q4 2007

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/05/xbox-live-silver-members-must-wait-for-free-content/

BluWolve
06-20-2011, 02:52 AM
It took effect in the 'Fall Update' in Q4 2007

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/05/xbox-live-silver-members-must-wait-for-free-content/
ok fair enough, but if you are getting free content with a foriegn account, what is the big rush? its only one week for a gamerpic/theme that you would not be able to get anyway. IMO i would rather wait one week than go without completely.

SwizzlesMum
06-20-2011, 02:58 AM
ok fair enough, but if you are getting free content with a foriegn account, what is the big rush? its only one week for a gamerpic/theme that you would not be able to get anyway. IMO i would rather wait one week than go without completely.

Silver members dont have to wait a week if they want to buy something. Only for free content like demos. I would have liked to try Dungeon Siege 3 before buying it. With my US account i could have gotten it, but the game was out by then anyway.

CyberPunch83
06-20-2011, 03:27 AM
I wouldn't feel so bad for missing out on a few Xbox Live features. The US seems to be the only place to get such perks like Live rewards, Live Labs and Live Diamond. Even Canada doesn't get that stuff. It seems more and more like Microsoft needs to step up their game if they want to keep up their reputation as the premier online service for gaming.

MakoBallistic
06-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I would imagine some sort of automatic Foster's dispenser/delivery service would go down fairly well. (Not trying to mock the thread btw, just couldnt resist)

Giptuc
06-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I would imagine some sort of automatic Foster's dispenser/delivery service would go down fairly well. (Not trying to mock the thread btw, just couldnt resist)

Yes, because all people drink here is fosters /endsarcasm.

MakoBallistic
06-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Yes, because all people drink here is fosters /endsarcasm.

Mate, im British, not American, you dont need to spell it out when your being sarcastic, im fully capable of discerning whether its a sarcastic comment or not.

SwizzlesMum
06-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Mate, im British, not American, you dont need to spell it out when your being sarcastic, im fully capable of discerning whether its a sarcastic comment or not.

Dunno what u see in Fosters, mate. Never see it being drunk down under :P

BluWolve
06-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Dunno what u see in Fosters, mate. Never see it being drunk down under :P
Fosters is the aussie drink in the uk, they dont have vb on tap, only fosters. so i understand the joke. the humour is not lost on me, i actually had a chuckle about it. i am an Aussie and i drink fosters, i love the stuff. my grandad drank it and my father did aswell.

its true it isnt really as common as it used to be, but as far as im concerned it is the original aussie beer. it hasnt really been popular since 1970 in australia, but the fosters group ar responsible for other beers such as crown lager, stella artois, carlton draught and of course VB.

so yeh i would love my xbox to pour me a fosters when i get an achievement, i could see it now, 'ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED, FOSTERS NOW POURING, CHEERS'

Boffin
06-21-2011, 07:33 AM
my xbox to pour me a fosters when i get an achievement, i could see it now, 'ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED, FOSTERS NOW POURING, CHEERS'

If someone ever does this they can go right ahead and take all my money

hydrosugar
06-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Justice in the pricing of MS points. If the A$ is stronger than the US$, then how does it make sense, in an online transaction, we pay $16.50 for 1000 ms points.
i'm pretty sure US is $12 or something, so we should be like $11.50 atm

and even though its not xbox live related $100+ for retail games is just absurd