PDA

View Full Version : Old 360 to Slim

Love Struck Beast
06-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Im thinking about getting a new slim bundled with kinect and am not sure to go for the 4g or 250g.

I have also seen that you can buy the casing for a slim hd and take ur old 360 hd and slip it into it. So what im asking is has anyone done that? And if so what happens to the hd as in does it loose it current data or needs to be formatted to the slim? Finally does the slim do anything odd like shut off or reboot if it doesn't have an official slim hd in it?

BluWolve
06-14-2011, 08:52 AM
im not sure about the hard drive stuff sorry, except that they are different and cannot be swapped over as far as i know. i would suggest playing it safe, unless you get a confirmed answer, and getting the 250 gb. although you will need a data transfer cable to swap your saved data from one unit to the other. but like i said i cant speak from experience. also if you buy a 4gb you wont be able to even play online apparently.

Veedrock
06-14-2011, 10:06 AM
And if so what happens to the hd as in does it loose it current data or needs to be formatted to the slim? Finally does the slim do anything odd like shut off or reboot if it doesn't have an official slim hd in it?

I haven't done this personally, but I can assure you that your current HDD doesn't need formatted if you decide to use it (data will still be intact), and the Xbox won't act odd thinking there's unofficial hardware or anything.

EDIT: This isn't a plug to go with this route (again I haven't done it myself, don't know if it affects warranty), but it won't malfunction or erase any of your data if you decide to do it.

GamerKing97
06-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Since you already have the Old 360, I'd recommend buying the 250GB Slim, but keep in mind you have to buy the Hard drive Transfer Cable to bring your data over.

As for putting old hard drive in the Slim, yes, it's possible. When you do that, it voids the warranty, but you should also be very careful. I still recommend the 250GB Slim (plus $20 Transfer Cable)

KingAntz
06-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Depending on the size of your current save data dont buy that bloody cable... Get a flash drive (or borrow a few from friends) and transfer it all on there...

They tried to sell me a transfer cable that you going to use how many times after this???? for 25 when the slim one came out. So I tried the flash drive method and it worked perfectly!

The slim one is not just smaller but looks nice as well, plus the 250gb hard drive is good enough for everything.

HabsCen10ial
06-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I had an old 360 and just bought a 250gb slim which I love. I also never had to purchase a transfer cable.

All I did was hook up my new 360 slim and did a licence transfer on all my dlc and add-ons. After that was done I recovered my gamertag on the new slim and transferred my saves using a USB stick. (I will look for the licence transfer link but it's somewhere on xbox.com)

Sense then I was told that if I wanted to go back and forth between the two consoles I should just leave my profile on a USB and it seems to work great.

ZEX NITROUS
06-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Go for the 250GB. I actually bought the 4GB just because i didn't like the glossy, fingerprint absorbing surface on the 250GB and then just bought a 250GB HD seperate. Turned out to be the same price so it worked out. In my opinion, the 360 console that looks better than the slim is still the old red resident evil Elite console, that i wish i bought. Unless they make a slim version of it, that'll be my favorite one for long time.

JDMBO1
06-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Well first of all there are two X360S they sell, one is a 4GB, and the other is a 250GB. The X360S is actually quieter, everything is relatively smaller, a fingerprint magnet, it's Kinect ready, has 5 USB ports, to open or turn on/off your Xbox requires just a touch, and comes with only a standards AV cable(so either you get and HDMI with an HD TV or your SOL).

Is it better then then Old 360s I'd say yes

Worhammer
06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Well first of all there are two X360S they sell, one is a 4GB, and the other is a 250GB. The X360S is actually quieter, everything is relatively smaller, a fingerprint magnet, it's Kinect ready, has 5 USB ports, to open or turn on/off your Xbox requires just a touch, and comes with only a standards AV cable(so either you get and HDMI with an HD TV or your SOL).

I don't think that was the question o_o

OT: You can very easily remove your old HDD from its casing and put it into the new 360. This does not void the warranty on your new console, only your old HDD. There are hundreds of videos on youtube I'm sure. I would advise getting the casing for it, however, instead of just sticking it in there open-style, as that can lead to dust issues, and contacts being giggled and solder breaking off as a result. You can find the casing online.

However, if your current HDD is cramped for space, why not just save yourself the trouble and get the 250GB? Or better yet, wait until Sept. & get the Gears 3 console with 360GB. It isn't extra money (except that you also pay for the game & a second controller, but it's not like they charge you more for the console itself because it's "limited")

Pyrochaos
06-14-2011, 04:08 PM
I've done it. Used my 250G from my old system to a 4GB slim. Basically I bought a slim HDD casing off ebay for around $7, ripped my HDD case apart (you need a small hex for the screws, or a phillips that will just strip them a little, but will still open it) take off the cable, and the HDD pops right into the casing. The new 360 recognizes it instantly.

All in all about a 5-10 minute job.

newbsicle
06-14-2011, 04:24 PM
As Worhammer and Pyrochaos have said, you can use your old hdd if you find the case for the new 360s hdd. If it was my choice though I would get the 250gb so I wouldn't have to worry about it. You might save $50.00 - $70.00, but you will only have 120gb, 60gb, 20gb (whatever you have) and not a 250gb.

There's also a pretty awesome looking gears of war slim bundle coming out with the release of the game. I don't know if you want to wait that long, and I don't believe it comes with kinect, still it does look sweet.

http://game-smack.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/gears-of-war-console.jpg

MC B0B x360a
06-14-2011, 04:28 PM
I would buy the 250gb hardrive. Its nice being able to install any game to a hardrive and not have a problem.

JDMBO1
06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't think that was the question o_o
I know simply I was just stating what my Slim experience was. I was never answering the question

jules the great
06-14-2011, 05:09 PM
i went from old to 250GB, and my son went from our old to his new 4GB. He can play online just fine and does so all the time. But i still recommend going with the 250GB with a Transfer cable. I have had no issues aside from my Terminus Armor and Gun from Mass Effect not transferring over correctly. Get it!

rayzor81
06-14-2011, 08:16 PM
There's also a pretty awesome looking gears of war slim bundle coming out with the release of the game. I don't know if you want to wait that long, and I don't believe it comes with kinect, still it does look sweet.

The Gears one is supposed to have a 320GB hard drive as well... time to start looking for the HDDSS.BIN and new version of HDDHACKR :woop:

Love Struck Beast
06-14-2011, 10:45 PM
thanks for the help the hd space is the same for me cause its the 250g modern warfare counsel...
but now hearing that there might be a new xbox to be shown off in the upcoming year i might just wait for that.

Beefdagreat
06-14-2011, 11:11 PM
i got a 250 gb and i heard the 4 gb ones cannot even play online in halo reach....

Worhammer
06-16-2011, 03:11 AM
thanks for the help the hd space is the same for me cause its the 250g modern warfare counsel...
but now hearing that there might be a new xbox to be shown off in the upcoming year i might just wait for that.
Not the upcoming year. September 20th.
http://www.shacknews.com/article/68754/gears-war-3-xbox-bundle?amp <-- link with pictures & stats.

i got a 250 gb and i heard the 4 gb ones cannot even play online in halo reach....
You can play matchmaking, just not firefight or campaign online. No forge either, methinks.

_DoTTeR_
06-16-2011, 05:08 AM

Are there no 1080i Composite cords for the slim?

my whole stream/capturing system would have to switch to HDMi if not.

JDMBO1
06-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Are there no 1080i Composite cords for the slim?

my whole stream/capturing system would have to switch to HDMi if not.
no the Slim does not come with HD cables, it comes with the standard White/Red/Yellow cable

you'd have to find the HD cables or settle with an HDMI cable

BluWolve
06-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Depending on the size of your current save data dont buy that bloody cable... Get a flash drive (or borrow a few from friends) and transfer it all on there...

100% correct! im really sorry, it was silly of me to say you NEED a transfer cable, i knew damn well you dont. next il be telling you to buy the official xbox usb MU. NO im only joking do not! here is a link that explains usb setup for xbox 360. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981974 if you decide to go that way.

if you do decide to upgrade to the larger HDD of the Gears Of War console good choice. it looks awesome but i have mild OCD and can only have blue things, so i cant buy it, because obviously its red. but wow it looks sexy regardless!

_DoTTeR_
06-16-2011, 06:02 AM
no the Slim does not come with HD cables, it comes with the standard White/Red/Yellow cable

you'd have to find the HD cables or settle with an HDMI cable

Oh I know they don't, stupid money grabbing ploy by MSFT. The last console I bought was in 2006 and they came With HD composite cables.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/CablesNetworking/Xbox360ComponentHDCable

Those would be fine with the slim? I have the older version (HD/SD switch) ones and I'm sure they won't work.

I'm just buying everything I need for when GoW3 console drops.

BluWolve
06-16-2011, 06:07 AM
yes they would be fine, im pretty sure all those cords plug into any version console, but if im wrong someone here will correct me.

EDIT: i think even your old ones should work, can someone please confirm?

JDMBO1
06-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Oh I know they don't, stupid money grabbing ploy by MSFT. The last console I bought was in 2006 and they came With HD composite cables.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/CablesNetworking/Xbox360ComponentHDCable

Those would be fine with the slim? I have the older version (HD/SD switch) ones and I'm sure they won't work.

Yeah that would work generally anything off the older model of the 360 is incompatible to the Slim

BluWolve
06-16-2011, 06:15 AM
Yeah that would work generally anything off the older model of the 360 is incompatible to the Slim

what exactly wouldnt be compatible could you tell me?

cHRiSCOe
06-16-2011, 06:19 AM
I may be wrong but 4th may not be able to connect to xbl?

BluWolve
06-16-2011, 06:21 AM
ok so im just trying to compare my xbox 360 S cables to my stepsons xbox 360 elite and havent noticed much difference, except maybe the power?

Worhammer
06-16-2011, 06:23 AM

The older cables from the original 360s (the ones with the HD / SD switch) do work with the new slims. I know, because I that's what I'm using.

These are especially nice, because you can use them as audio-out since they don't have that stupid cock blocking (for lack of a better term, and it actually fits pretty well if ya think about it....) piece that the newer ones have.

Anyway, TL;DR - YES.

BluWolve
06-16-2011, 06:31 AM
The older cables from the original 360s (the ones with the HD / SD switch) do work with the new slims. I know, because I that's what I'm using.

These are especially nice, because you can use them as audio-out since they don't have that stupid cock blocking (for lack of a better term, and it actually fits pretty well if ya think about it....) piece that the newer ones have.

Anyway, TL;DR - YES.

yes he is right, i just confirmed myself with my stepsons elite console cables, all work fine. the only difference is the power plug and the "cock blocker" as worhammer said. haha nice one "cock blocking" im gonna use that one from now on!

its actually good i noticed that because im getting a gaming chair shortly and i have been thinking i would have to cut the "cock blocker" (haha love it) off to get HDMI and audio out to seperate things, but now il just swap cords with him and he wont even notice, but thats a different topic.

cHRiSCOe
06-16-2011, 06:34 AM
As Worhammer and Pyrochaos have said, you can use your old hdd if you find the case for the new 360s hdd. If it was my choice though I would get the 250gb so I wouldn't have to worry about it. You might save $50.00 - $70.00, but you will only have 120gb, 60gb, 20gb (whatever you have) and not a 250gb.

As soon as I get my new job I'm getting this m fer

BluWolve
06-16-2011, 06:41 AM
just in case anyone is wondering, the "cock blocker" is a little piece of plastic on the composite cable plug that covers the hdmi port, so you cant have both in at once.

JDMBO1
06-16-2011, 01:28 PM
what exactly wouldnt be compatible could you tell me?
USB items such as wireless headset chargers and Play & Charge Kits two examples off the top of my head

Ethiebeefy
06-19-2011, 03:16 AM

The Console looks a Beauty

Ethiebeefy
06-19-2011, 03:18 AM
And I would go for the 250GB HDD if i was you

FaImpulse
06-19-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm not sure if anyone answered this already but if you buy the 4g (I got this for christmas) you run out of HDD space really fast, so your best bet would be to either buy the 250 or buy the 4 and get an old HDD which you can take out of the case and put in to xbox slim