PDA

View Full Version : Halo without Bungie...

The Lovat Scout
06-14-2011, 07:36 PM
What do you guys/gals think? I think Bungie is a great company. They're definitely one of the most closest (if not thee most) with their fans and community. I know a lot of people didn't like Halo 2's Campaign, or Halo 3's multiplayer, or anything about Reach, but I think they did a great job on everything. They were the first to put a theater mode and file share into a first person shooter, and a level creator on a first person shooter for a console.

I don't have anything against 343 Industries. From what I understand, they are a "branch" or part of Bungie. And I liked Halo Wars alot, even though I hate other RTS games. Probably because I like Halo so much, who knows.

Anyways, what does everything think about Bungie not having a part in their own series? I'm not saying is it right or wrong, I'm just asking, do you think it'll be good? Bungie is always coming up with great new things to impliment into their games, but I'm not sure if 343 can put out as much as Bungie can.

I know a few people were upset with the teaser trailer too. I admit, it wasn't like previous Halo titles (for obvious reasons) and it certainly wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't horrible either.

Bottom line. I love the Halo story and universe. I know 343 is very strict with the canon of it. But if they try to put Brutes or Prophets in Halo Anniversary, that's fucked up. It should be a remake, only graphics should really be changed, not anything story-based. I'm looking forward to Halo 4, and I don't think it's been beat to death like most others. I just don't want it to start a downward spiral.

indoorblakininja
06-14-2011, 09:37 PM
What do you guys/gals think? I think Bungie is a great company. They're definitely one of the most closest (if not thee most) with their fans and community. I know a lot of people didn't like Halo 2's Campaign, or Halo 3's multiplayer, or anything about Reach, but I think they did a great job on everything. They were the first to put a theater mode and file share into a first person shooter, and a level creator on a first person shooter for a console.

I don't have anything against 343 Industries. From what I understand, they are a "branch" or part of Bungie. And I liked Halo Wars alot, even though I hate other RTS games. Probably because I like Halo so much, who knows.

Anyways, what does everything think about Bungie not having a part in their own series? I'm not saying is it right or wrong, I'm just asking, do you think it'll be good? Bungie is always coming up with great new things to impliment into their games, but I'm not sure if 343 can put out as much as Bungie can.

I know a few people were upset with the teaser trailer too. I admit, it wasn't like previous Halo titles (for obvious reasons) and it certainly wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't horrible either.

Bottom line. I love the Halo story and universe. I know 343 is very strict with the canon of it. But if they try to put Brutes or Prophets in Halo Anniversary, that's fucked up. It should be a remake, only graphics should really be changed, not anything story-based. I'm looking forward to Halo 4, and I don't think it's been beat to death like most others. I just don't want it to start a downward spiral.

I don't think 343 will screw up the Halo series.

The only thing I didn't like about to trailer was that it was short. When it went off I thought in my head "wtf is that it?"

macho956
06-14-2011, 09:38 PM
dude i cant wait for halo 4 its gona be awesome!!!

cutchinz
06-14-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm kind of skeptical at this point in time but I'm sure it will be alright. I mean it's Halo what can go wrong?

xKRAIZEEMANx
06-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Should be a good game regardless. Some of the employees have transitioned over to 343. Hopefully they will not let it go to hell.

Efase
06-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Well, some of the older Bungie staff is in 343, so i guess its not gonna be bad.
Something I believe is stupid, is the Halo 4 teaser where Master Chief comes out of the pod with a jet-pack on.

They better not include Armor Abilities in Halo 4, or if they do, remove Armor Lock.

Beefdagreat
06-15-2011, 12:12 AM
lol i think it'll be ok, just hope that it won't suck like black ops was.

indoorblakininja
06-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Well, some of the older Bungie staff is in 343, so i guess its not gonna be bad.
Something I believe is stupid, is the Halo 4 teaser where Master Chief comes out of the pod with a jet-pack on.

They better not include Armor Abilities in Halo 4, or if they do, remove Armor Lock.
Don't forget the fact that Cortana looked like a short haired Bluenette :D someone stop me :woop:

ZingZitang
06-15-2011, 01:37 PM
They're definitely one of the most closest (if not thee most) with their fans and community.
Alright, not Trying to be a Dick, but I'm Kind of the Grammar Police. It should be "Closest" not "Most Closest".

Halo Wars was not Developed by 343 Industries. It was Developed by Ensemble Studios. Ensemble also developed the Age of Empires Series, And Age of Mythology Series.

343 Industries is not Really a branch of Bungie, but many people, Like Frank O'Connor, who have been a Major Part in the Development of Halo are still with Halo at 343 Industries. 343 Industries is Very Capable of Innovating and Creating a Halo Game. Halo 4 has also been in Development since Halo 3 Release, Alongside Halo: Reach, and Halo 3 ODST. So they have had plenty of Time to work on it.

This is all beside the Fact that Halo is Microsofts Golden Baby Goose Egg. They won't let anything Happen to it.

Halo 4 will be nothing but Amazing.

What was wrong with the Trailer? It has sparked a ridiculous amount of Theories in my Head. I personally thought the Trailer was Spectacular.

Now Just listen here. There are at least two Video Interviews with Frank O'Connor about Halo Anniversary, and each time he States that This is The EXACT Game we played 10 Years Ago. Exact. The Same. Verbatim. The Only Differences are the Updated Graphics, Sound, and the inclusion of "Certain game enhancing Objects"(Skulls), and Hidden Terminals.

Online Co-Op as well, and The online Multiplayer should Utilize Halo: Reach Servers and such, like ODST did with Halo 3. Splitscreen multiplayer however should Remain the Same, just like it was ten yers ago. Although they Haven't really Confirmed this.

Well Technically he Didn't have a "Jet Pack On", it was built into his Armor. The Thrusters are part of his Armor.

And Its no Different than Any other Halo Game. They Add new stuff to progress the Gameplay and pretend like it was there the whole time. For Example: The Battle Rifle, Beam Rifle, Brutes, DMR, Mongoose, other new Vehicles, Enemies, and Weapons. Its how they've done it in every New Halo Game, Pretend it was there the whole time, and just go with it.

Don't forget the fact that Cortana looked like a short haired Bluenette :D someone stop me :woop:El oh El. . . Stop?

KNIGHTOFSERA
06-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Honestly I still dont get why people hate reach....it was the best of all the campaigns, and multiplayer while a bit different was just as good

I digress....I dont see how they could screw it up seriously, all they have to do is copypasta the mechanics with a new story and theyre golden

Efase
06-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Reach is actually awesome, and ZingZitang, it's okay that they added new stuff on Reach, because they said it was all lost during the battle, so that's why i said armor abilities on Halo 4 would be stupid.

ZingZitang
06-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Reach is actually awesome, and ZingZitang, it's okay that they added new stuff on Reach, because they said it was all lost during the battle, so that's why i said armor abilities on Halo 4 would be stupid.
I agree, Reach was very good. And I never Said there was anything wrong with the Stuff they Added in Reach, I have never had that sort of a problem with anything thats been Added to the Series. Like I said, Just pretend like it was there the whole time, and go with it.

In fact you don't even have to pretend, it wouldn't have made sence for the Chief to Always have Every Weapon/Vehicle at his Disposal, so new weapons, Vehicles, Enemies, Abilities just Fit.

I also never questioned the things they Added in Reach, it just made sense. But just to be clear, All the "new" weapons and Technology would not have been completely lost during the Battle of Reach, I don't remember the game saying anything like that.

I understand your feelings about Armor Abilities, but I think they need to improve upon them. Because the Spartans with their Biological Augmentations, and the MJOLNIR Armor are so ridiculously bad ass. And the armor Abilities show a small amount of the things the Spartan and Armor can Actually do.

The Spartans and MJOLNIR Armor are in fact so Bad ass, that to allow a player to fully exploit all their Abilities would make for a Crazy powerful player, in Campaign or Multiplayer.

For instance Spartans can run nearly 50mph in their Armor, jump ridiculous Heights, Are Amazingly Strong and can Lift an Unbelievable amount of Weight, or punch a whole Straight through a Brute, And have literally Lighting Fast Reflexes and thought processes.

I personally hope they Look at Crysis 2 and the way it allows the players to utilize the Abilities of the Nanosuit 2.0. Considering MJOLNIR Mark 6 is 100 times more powerful than the Nanosuit, this could be really awesome.

Kunduz
06-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Alright, not Trying to be a Dick, but I'm Kind of the Grammar Police. It should be "Closest" not "Most Closest".
"Look more closelier"

Back to the topic: I'm a bit skeptical, but hopefully Halo 4-6 will turn out fine in the hands of 343 Industries

DarkReign2021
06-16-2011, 10:31 PM
I have faith in 343 being able to pull this off. They're got a lot of dedicated fans of the series as well as a handful of ex-developers from Bungie itself. The story itself I have no doubt will succeed. Frank O'Connor is very dedicated to the series and Vociferous and Copopjojo, two of the members of the Ascendant Justice Blog that archived everything Halo, were hired on to the team for their work and creativity with the games Storyline.

On top of that, their remaking of Halo 1 is giving them intimate experience with how the coding and processing of Halo's gameplay should function (even though they're not directly altering the game, they still have to work around the original code to introduce the new code for the graphics as well as the terminals and new secrets.)

Musically, Marty O'Donnel will be missed, but Halo Wars proved that you can still have a unique and dynamic soundtrack without Marty's influence. For anybody that's ever played Advent Rising or at least heard the soundtrack, I wouldn't mind seeing Tommy Tallarico do the music for Halo 4 personally.)

Graphically I'm still uncertain about Halo 4. We've only seen a CGI trailer that wasn't even done by 343 themselves. Halo: CEmake's environments look sexy compared to the original, but looking at the current design for the Mk V armor would suggest they're not very good at designing animated objects. The Covenant models for the Marines, Grunts, Jackals, Hunters, and Elites were taken straight from Halo: Reach, so the Flood and Master Chief are left to be seen. Hopefully it was just an early build.

The Elite Elite
06-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, after the complete rewriting of canon revolving around Reach's demise from Halo Reach (not to mention armor lock), I say good riddance to Bungie. I look forward to seeing if 343 actually cares about previously established canon and not contradicting it. The only thing I'll miss about Bungie is no more Marty music.

DarkReign2021
06-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Bungie didn't tamper with THAT much of the canon. The only detail that can't really be explained is the Pillar of Autumn being docked on the planet at the time of the attack. Otherwise it can all be worked into the pre-existing canon (trust me. My partner and I have already sat down and done it for his Legendary Halo FAQ, which I will be posting later for the hell of it :D

PyreBall
06-18-2011, 06:55 PM
It'll certainly be interesting to see. I unfortunately have the feeling that it'll be like the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie: it'll have its moments but it'll generally just be a cash-in.

Spartans
06-18-2011, 06:59 PM
dude i cant wait for halo 4 its gona be awesome!!!
Same on that one!

The Elite Elite
06-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Bungie didn't tamper with THAT much of the canon. The only detail that can't really be explained is the Pillar of Autumn being docked on the planet at the time of the attack. Otherwise it can all be worked into the pre-existing canon (trust me. My partner and I have already sat down and done it for his Legendary Halo FAQ, which I will be posting later for the hell of it :D

Oh, so you can explain to me how we can have the Covies on Reach about a month before the attack according to Fall of Reach? (and according to the game, the full blown invasion at the end of Long Night is also still before the date when the Covenant arrives in the book) You can also explain to me how Dr. Halsey meets with the S-IIIs on Reach, yet still seems shocked to learn there's another SPARTAN program when she looks at Ackerson's S-III files during First Strike, and later runs into the S-IIIs on Onyx where, if memory serves (it has been a while since I've read GoO), it seems she has met spartans other than her own for the first time.

RobbieTheKiller
06-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I will be good. 343 is still owned by Microsoft, they won't let them skrew up.

DarkReign2021
06-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Oh, so you can explain to me how we can have the Covies on Reach about a month before the attack according to Fall of Reach? (and according to the game, the full blown invasion at the end of Long Night is also still before the date when the Covenant arrives in the book) You can also explain to me how Dr. Halsey meets with the S-IIIs on Reach, yet still seems shocked to learn there's another SPARTAN program when she looks at Ackerson's S-III files during First Strike, and later runs into the S-IIIs on Onyx where, if memory serves (it has been a while since I've read GoO), it seems she has met spartans other than her own for the first time.

My previous statement was a base generalization. It wasn't literally the only thing that was retconned; However,

Covies on Reach before the attack? Easy. It wasn't an invasion. It was a small scout party that we met on Winter Contingency. ONI is very hush about a lot of things that they need to be outspoken about, so it doesn't surprise me that the initial covenant assault, which occurs over a large period of time between the beginning of Reach and the actual invasion, is kept quiet in general. Particularly as a way to pacify the population and prepare the so-called contingencies without the panic messing it all up.

As for the actual invasion, that would indeed be a retcon, but numeric retcons are rarely an important focus of any kind. A date being switched around in a series whose timeline spans over 100,000 years doesn't really come as a surprise. I'm just impressed that they've actually managed to keep the whole game series in September and October of 2552. Figured there would be huge jumps in the timeline.

Halsey honestly may not be fully aware of what Noble team actually was (excluding the Halsey-narrated Noble Team Introduction ads. Those aren't canon.) As far as she hints at in the Campaign, it's a group of soldiers with modified variants of the MJOLNIR power armor. It's not wearable by humans by the means of her design, but the variations would easily give the suggestion that perhaps it had been altered for regular human use (more specifically, an ODST squad that just happened to have Jorge as a teammate.) I also don't seem to recall so much shock of her finding the file with S-III's in it. More so the fact that the project was headed by Col. Ackerson, who was highly outspoken about the waste of funding and time it takes to produce Spartans.

Most likely, it is all indeed retcon as you say, I won't argue that, but with a stretch of the imagination a lot of points can easily be squeezed into the existing canon.

SuperSkyline89
06-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Well, after the complete rewriting of canon revolving around Reach's demise from Halo Reach (not to mention armor lock), I say good riddance to Bungie. I look forward to seeing if 343 actually cares about previously established canon and not contradicting it. The only thing I'll miss about Bungie is no more Marty music.

Ya, that was a big part of the reason I don`t have as much love for Reach as I did for the other games.

You can say all you want about this retcon business but in this case it was all unnecessary. Reach doesn`t tell a very compelling story when compared to the main trilogy and unlike ODST pretty much spit in the face of the books.

In my opinion they should have either working it to fit in with the established canon or not bothered with Reach at all and just moved straight to Halo 4.

As for 343. Halo (along with Gears of War, Forza, and a few others) are the core Xbox exclusives and Microsoft would tear 343 to pieces if they threatened any of those franchises. That along with the fact that some of the highest ranking Halo people from Bungie are at 343 is enough to have my support . . . until they give me a reason not to.

The Elite Elite
06-19-2011, 04:40 AM
Halsey honestly may not be fully aware of what Noble team actually was (excluding the Halsey-narrated Noble Team Introduction ads. Those aren't canon.) As far as she hints at in the Campaign, it's a group of soldiers with modified variants of the MJOLNIR power armor. It's not wearable by humans by the means of her design, but the variations would easily give the suggestion that perhaps it had been altered for regular human use (more specifically, an ODST squad that just happened to have Jorge as a teammate.) I also don't seem to recall so much shock of her finding the file with S-III's in it. More so the fact that the project was headed by Col. Ackerson, who was highly outspoken about the waste of funding and time it takes to produce Spartans.

There's a big hole with your explanation. Her line in the game of "Are you a spartan or a puppet, Commander?" I'd say that makes it pretty clear that she knows they are spartans, and not soldiers wearing modified MJLONIR armor.

Most likely, it is all indeed retcon as you say, I won't argue that, but with a stretch of the imagination a lot of points can easily be squeezed into the existing canon.

And I'd say it's a big screw up on Bungie's part if we have to stretch our imagination to make obvious retcons fit with previously established canon that we've had for several years. I don't see why Bungie even felt the need to overwrite so much established canon anyway. They could've made a perfectly decent Reach campaign without throwing out the details of Reach's demise from FoR.

fax5jrj
06-19-2011, 08:05 PM
I think that 343 can pull it off. I just want them to innovate from Halo 3, not Reach. If they don't, I bust a cap in their ass. :)

ZingZitang
06-20-2011, 01:18 PM
There's a big hole with your explanation. Her line in the game of "Are you a spartan or a puppet, Commander?" I'd say that makes it pretty clear that she knows they are spartans, and not soldiers wearing modified MJLONIR armor.

And I'd say it's a big screw up on Bungie's part if we have to stretch our imagination to make obvious retcons fit with previously established canon that we've had for several years. I don't see why Bungie even felt the need to overwrite so much established canon anyway. They could've made a perfectly decent Reach campaign without throwing out the details of Reach's demise from FoR.

There was a lot of Debate about this when Halo: Reach was Released, and Bungie Publicly stated that the Books are Secondary Canon to the Games. Although 95% of the Discrepancies can be made Relevant and Understandable between the Events of the Book and the Game. At least in My mind. I enjoyed the Book More, but there were some Very Good Moments in the Game as well, so When trying to Combine the Two it Makes a Very interesting Story. And you have to Remember that A good Portion of First Strike takes place on Reach as Well.

bullet
06-25-2011, 11:51 PM
I think 343 is able to make a good halo game, only i hope the master chief wont pull of his helmet...

XoNiNjAlEoNoX
06-27-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm pretty sure 343i can handle it. They have former Bungie employees like Frank O'Connor who worked on Halo 2 and 3 and I'm sure he can continue the story well

Riot OF
06-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Microsoft has enough faith in 343 to already announce that they were going to do another trilogy with them.

The Lovat Scout
06-29-2011, 02:17 AM

If you're the "Grammar Police" then why did you randomly capitalize words throughout your post?

...yyyyeah...

babymilo91
06-30-2011, 04:03 AM
pretty sure 343 will do a good job. everybody is looking forward to this so they better do a good job

KNIGHTOFSERA
06-30-2011, 04:45 AM
Honestly the main creators should have free roam

sure its a little rude to override something they approved as cannon, but minds change I guess

I personally think Reach is the best of the series, maybe If I actually read the books and delved deeper into the history I would care more, but from just playing the games and reading up on the halo wiki I dont

DMR117
07-07-2011, 04:28 PM
I have all faith in 343 industries they will make a great game:woop:

Rome SDS
07-09-2011, 07:58 PM
It will be different than the first Halo trilogy, that's for sure. But I think they will do a great job on the campaign/story line and that's all that matters to me.

DarkReign2021
07-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Well you're in luck because they're taking a much larger approach toward the narrative aspects of the new trilogy.

One of the things I think Halo could benefit from (and most games in general these days) would be a persistent world and storyline. There are two types of games. Level-based and persistent. Halo. Doom 2, Duke 3D, etc... has always been level based. Each level jumps the player around, often times without explanation, and you just randomly begin new levels.

Persistent games like Half-Life 2, DOOM 3, and Duke Nukem Forever clearly start a character from one point and you follow them almost entirely from beginning to end. Even though every major area is drastically unique, the gap that bridges them is actual playable content instead of just a loading screen. Half-Life 2 did an excellent job of this by giving you various vehicles, puzzles, and objectives to occupy you while still divvying out small bits of lore from time to time.

The halo series would've been perfect for a persistent gameplay style. I can't think of anybody that wouldn't have wanted to explore way more of the Ark and Halos than what we were given (Especially since the Ark and Delta Halo each only showcased roughly 2 or 3 regions.) And since Halo was always so big on large-scale confrontations and vehicular combat, traveling between levels would've been a huge hit in this kind of game.

The way Halo 1's levels were built, I can understand a bridged world not working, but Halo 2 and onward would've benefited greatly from this (and ODST did try it to some degree with the open-ended New Mombasa.

RBmaster9345
07-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Hopefully it'll be great. If 343's smart they'll stick with the major elements that made Halo work so well while throwing in their own features that play along with it.

bblcreator8790
07-14-2011, 03:14 AM
I have faith that 343 will do a good job. Remember, this is a 'new' triliogy, and while it follows from the events of Halo 3 and the previous trilogy, these next games are obviously going to go in a new direction for the series. I expect to see mostly new weapons with few returns from the previous games seeing as the Covenant will probably not play a major role if any at all and humanity is nowhere to be found (probably) so the only human weapons will be what is on the half of the ship that MC is on. There will also be entirely new enemies aside from the Flood, Covenant, and Sentinels. There will be brand new environments and planets to explore aside from Earth, Halo, and High Charity (and Reach if you include that as well).

I'm thinking of Halo 4, 5, and 6 as a reboot of the Halo franchise that is also a sequel to a previous trilogy. The possibilities are wide open now, they're not confined to a certain location or story like Bungie was after making Halo 2, for example. After Halo 2 the fight sort of had to go back to Earth and then to the Ark. There are no such restrictions this time. I think it's better for the series to be passed to another developer, because if you leave a series even with a developer as good as Bungie, it's bound to get stale, and I'm sure you'll find people that say it already did.

Satfd5F43
09-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Luckly some of the former Bungie staff are running 343 so at least someone who knows whats what is at the helm!

DDRHaloChief
12-16-2012, 11:54 PM
I do love Bungie as a company, but this game has way to many changes to it that shouldn't be in the Halo games.

upindat
12-17-2012, 12:00 AM
I have faith in 343. Microsoft would not trust there cash cow with just anybody. Ready for halo 2 remake for sure

Donjuan Antoine
12-17-2012, 12:12 AM
343 would be a winner to me if they brought back the 1-50 rank system...im my mind I could get use to everything else.

Tsaako
12-17-2012, 12:43 AM
I honestly don't care.

I don't mean that in a negative way, I mean it in a good way. I've enjoyed each Halo game thats out and I've had my fair share of fun with them all. So I don't care on company, as long as I enjoy the game.

SHMEEDIDDY
12-17-2012, 01:04 AM
I have faith for 343i for the halo franchies, and I know for sure they wont screw up bungies baby! The campaign I love the most compared to the MP, the story is what drove me into the Halo Universe. MP is always fun love the new style of it and the graphics...just cant stand ppl complaining the Voice ban. To many people complaining on halo waypoint about it! Stupid thing they put in the ban hammer, thats what is ruining the game. The rank system is okay after a month im lvl 77 and taking a break, dont want it to get boring for me, bc it is my filler before Judgment! Cannot wait for the rest of the story in the universe! That is my 2 cents!

Jet1337
12-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Some kid with a 2-post count digs up a year-old topic and you're all over it like flies on shit! :/

343i can eat shit and die. Tell 'em Duke Nukem!

Duke Nukem -eat shit and die - YouTube