PDA

View Full Version : Rage quitters already!

TheUglyCasanova
06-15-2011, 11:54 AM
First game I played online with the starting white deck that I am LOVING so far. Pretty much got the perfect hand dealt to me with my Stoneforge Mystic in my hand. Put out the Kor Duelist on turn one (he gets double strike when equipped), turn two brought out the mystic. Turn 3 I tapped her to put the Argentum Armor in (+6/+6 and when I attack I destroy target permanent). Turn 4 dropped the Kor Outfitter which allowed me to equip the Armor for free on the dual striker..so on turn four he had a 7/7 with dual strike coming at him and I destroyed his only character that wasn't tapped as I had been eating damage the entire time. :p

He took a long pause and I was the winner! :woop: I got my score up on the leaderboards so looks like you still get the points for the rage quitters. Glad there's no achievements for winning so many since it looks like it will be the same BS as the last game.

Edit: Actually looks like quitters don't increase your rank after your initial match to get on the leadboards. :( 3 wins, 3 quitters.

arikmoon
06-15-2011, 09:17 PM
This game is a strategy game. Conceding to your opponent is common in strategy games.

In many strategy games, you have the option to resign when you know you are bested. It's not rage quitting when you're conceding the match.

Don't take offense to people not wanting you to smash into them with 45 creatures when they have 3 to block. Expect them to concede, you still win.

If Stainless didn't code the game to properly register someone else conceding as a win for you, then I would say that's a flaw with the game they need to correct.

I've played MTG at local card shops and many times have conceded the game. I know when I'm beat, and I concede the match.

MooMooChicken
06-15-2011, 11:54 PM
First game I played online with the starting white deck that I am LOVING so far. Pretty much got the perfect hand dealt to me with my Stoneforge Mystic in my hand. Put out the Kor Duelist on turn one (he gets double strike when equipped), turn two brought out the mystic. Turn 3 I tapped her to put the Argentum Armor in (+6/+6 and when I attack I destroy target permanent). Turn 4 dropped the Kor Outfitter which allowed me to equip the Armor for free on the dual striker..so on turn four he had a 7/7 with dual strike coming at him and I destroyed his only character that wasn't tapped as I had been eating damage the entire time. :p

He took a long pause and I was the winner! :woop: I got my score up on the leaderboards so looks like you still get the points for the rage quitters. Glad there's no achievements for winning so many since it looks like it will be the same BS as the last game.

Edit: Actually looks like quitters don't increase your rank after your initial match to get on the leadboards. :( 3 wins, 3 quitters.

All you needed was Quest of the Holy Relic plus some Memnite action and I'd call you my hero.

TheUglyCasanova
06-16-2011, 12:02 AM
I've played MTG at local card shops and many times have conceded the game. I know when I'm beat, and I concede the match.

Yeah, but there a BIG difference in real life where you can look at the situation and go 'yep, im fucked. GG.'

It's quite another to just drop out as soon as I attack on an online game.

Runai
06-16-2011, 04:18 AM
Yeah, but there a BIG difference in real life where you can look at the situation and go 'yep, im fucked. GG.'

It's quite another to just drop out as soon as I attack on an online game.

Not really. Scooping (as conceding is generally called in Magic) is pretty much the norm when playing with physical cards at any FNM or other tournament. You rarely get to actually swing and hit for lethal, unless you pull some kind of surprise move. The vast majority of players will observe the state of the game and say "oh, you can swing for lethal next turn, and I have no way out - I scoop".

Referring to it as "rage quitting" suggests to me that you don't have a whole lot of experience with real Magic.

TheUglyCasanova
06-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Not really. Scooping (as conceding is generally called in Magic) is pretty much the norm when playing with physical cards at any FNM or other tournament. You rarely get to actually swing and hit for lethal, unless you pull some kind of surprise move. The vast majority of players will observe the state of the game and say "oh, you can swing for lethal next turn, and I have no way out - I scoop".

Referring to it as "rage quitting" suggests to me that you don't have a whole lot of experience with real Magic.

Okay you're not understanding what I'm saying. There are a thing called LEADERBOARDS on this game. When my opponent 'scoops', 'gracefully retreats', 'rage quits', or 'is a general vagina' in this game, I do not get credited with even playing that game to up my standings on the leaderboard for my win.

Yes I know IRL magic never goes to the final blows. Thank you for insulting me on my knowledge because you are not understanding the difference between quitting in THIS game where I get NO credit for my win as opposed to both players IRL realizing I won and ending it early when there is no hope.

Is it...any..clearer now?

Edit: Also I feel honored you made your first post on these forums to bash me. I'm guessing you don't own the original MtG: DotP on here because quitting early was a bigger deal due to an achievement needing you to 'WIN' the matches and not have your opponent 'scoop'.

Runai
06-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Okay you're not understanding what I'm saying. There are a thing called LEADERBOARDS on this game. When my opponent 'scoops', 'gracefully retreats', 'rage quits', or 'is a general vagina' in this game, I do not get credited with even playing that game to up my standings on the leaderboard for my win.

Yes I know IRL magic never goes to the final blows. Thank you for insulting me on my knowledge because you are not understanding the difference between quitting in THIS game where I get NO credit for my win as opposed to both players IRL realizing I won and ending it early when there is no hope.

Is it...any..clearer now?

I'll just quote someone else, since it's been said before:

If Stainless didn't code the game to properly register someone else conceding as a win for you, then I would say that's a flaw with the game they need to correct.

As this gentleman points out, if you're not getting credit for people conceding against you, then that's a problem with the game, not with the players who concede.

Edit: Also I feel honored you made your first post on these forums to bash me. I'm guessing you don't own the original MtG: DotP on here because quitting early was a bigger deal due to an achievement needing you to 'WIN' the matches and not have your opponent 'scoop'.

Oh, the internet. The lovely, wonderful internet! It would seem that because I posted a message, in which I disagreed with you, and tried to back up my point with an explanation of how real Magic usually works, I am now "bashing" you. To hell with reasonable debate and the peaceful exchange of opinions. I bashed you! I must be after you personally, and not at all interested in the actual topic of conversation.

Oh and I do own the original Duels of the Planeswalkers. 100%'ed it too. The achievements related to winning matches online really aren't a big deal.

Shelton
06-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Your initial point had nothing to do with the fact that it doesn't count as a win. You even said that you thought it did and thus were happy about it. Runai's post seems justified to me.

In any case, it's not worth arguing over. If you have an issue with the way the game works, take it up with WotC. Their forums are here. (http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134962/M:TG_-_Duels_of_the_Planeswalkers)

Farsight
06-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Your score will not change after every game, and may not update immediately.

I don't ragequit, I shrugquit. :)

TheUglyCasanova
06-17-2011, 02:15 AM
Your score will not change after every game, and may not update immediately.

Been a day and still not even ranked in 2HG although I've won both games I've played but shitquitters left early. So pretty sure it's not that slow since my SP updates fine.

omgitsbo
06-17-2011, 09:25 AM
..so on turn four he had a 7/7 with dual strike coming at him and I destroyed his only character that wasn't tapped as I had been eating damage the entire time. :p

You really expect someone to sit there and take it in the face for the next turn or two instead of acknowledging defeat and moving on to a fresh match? Please, get off your high horse and do the same. Ragequit my ass...did they flip the table over or throw your deck all over the floor?

CMANDR
06-17-2011, 04:21 PM
You really expect someone to sit there and take it in the face for the next turn or two instead of acknowledging defeat and moving on to a fresh match? Please, get off your high horse and do the same. Ragequit my ass...did they flip the table over or throw your deck all over the floor?

Had to chime in here as this is something that has errked me off greatly since DotP '09.

Getting the MP achievement in that game was a trial. On one hand, you want to rage against people who won't take the extra five minutes to finish out the game so that the win is properly recorded, while on the other hand it's easy to understand that when all is lost and the Death Star is bearing down, there ain't much reason in sticking around. After all, that's what you'd do in real life. I'd get so aggravated by this that I ended up sending messages to people that actually stuck around thanking them profusely.

The issue here is not that people suck (for the most part they do), but that the multiplayer portion of the game is just poorly designed. There should be an option to concede a match so that it is recorded by the leader boards as a loss. Furthermore, disconnects should count as losses for whomever is disconnected to prevent people from just pulling the cable. Competitive multiplayer games have been doing this for decades, it's not like it's a new concept.

Black Barney
06-17-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't follow, i was sure that disconnects counted as losses, no? Everyone rage quits on me in the first Magic and I thought it was giving me wins, no?

I noticed that when I'm losing a match badly and it's obvious I'm gonna lose, the eventually winner ALWAYS sends me a 'gg' message afterwards. I realize now it's probably because I stuck around?

Anyway, i never got upset when my opponent scooped in Magic cuz it gave me a win. If that's not the case anymore, then that's a different story. Rock band used to really bug me cuz when someone rage quits competitive mode, you don't get the win.

CMANDR
06-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Maybe they fixed it? If so then I apologize for the rant. It certainly was not that way at launch.

I stopped playing public multiplayer after I got the achievement, never to look back.

Black Barney
06-17-2011, 05:52 PM
we're talkin' ranked matches, right? Cuz I think in Player Matches, quitting does nothing (not sure if there are separate leaderboards or what)

edit: I just realized how stupid this post looks :(

CMANDR
06-17-2011, 06:21 PM
we're talkin' ranked matches, right? Cuz I think in Player Matches, quitting does nothing (not sure if there are separate leaderboards or what)

Yeap, ranked matches.

CoachCO62
06-18-2011, 07:38 PM
I quit alot in the old one, not because I was losing but because they kept dragging the game out and not just ending it, especially with the red direct damage deck. I dont care about losing as ill play the game out for the hell of it but its just annoying to have 1 life put out a creature have it get shocked, or attack and have it killed just to sit there as someone tries to get you to -50 or -100 life.

Farsight
06-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Been a day and still not even ranked in 2HG although I've won both games I've played but shitquitters left early. So pretty sure it's not that slow since my SP updates fine.

2HG may have a specific issue then. I'm fairly sure the other modes are updating fine.

Schism
06-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Only thing that annoys me is playing the Archenemy games and your team quits. I understand quitting once you get destroyed by the Arch..but opening hand or midway?? come one. Also dislike that most people dont communicate with the team.. >:/

Ohheythere
06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Happens in every game and every one does it. Move on...if leaderboards mean that much to you, that is sad. Why not have the personal satisfaction that you just crushed somebody enough to make them quit? Instead you seem to get angry and post on a forum about something that happens regularly (which is fine, this is sometimes a place to vent).

Get over it, move on and enjoy playing a great game!

shinobigarth
06-21-2011, 08:35 PM
yeah really, who cares about the leaderboards? you should play for fun, not play to try to get first place in the boards. if you wanna be the best at Magic, join tourneys and competitions in real life.

Farsight
06-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Plus, the non-updating leaderboard for 2HG games is a bug. The issue is not that people shouldn't concede, it's that conceding should properly update the rankings. Conceding is an intended part of the game, getting mad over it is a waste of time.

Lord Arkhan
06-23-2011, 03:38 AM
..so on turn four he had a 7/7 with dual strike coming at him and I destroyed his only character that wasn't tapped as I had been eating damage the entire time. :p

Seeing this I probably would have quit as well. It has nothing to do with rage quitting as I would also have acknowledged your great starting hand. However with that kind of onslaught coming at me there would be no chance at all for me to survive so I would concede the game to you and move on, hoping to have better luck in the next game.

If you want to complain about rage quitters, complain about the people who quit out on the opening hand because they didn't get the "perfect" starting hand. Or the ones who quit because you get a creature out before them.

If people conceding because you have beaten them is bothering you that much I would suggest contacting the maker of the game or playing a different one.

Solitaire come to mind...