PDA

View Full Version : So... What's The Verdict?

Dark Knight1990
06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm curious to know what you guys think about the new Magic: The Gathering game. I trust opinions of everyday people a lot more than the critics, so... how is it?

TheUglyCasanova
06-15-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm loving it so far. Considering it's the same price as two packs of cards it's a great deal.

Love the Archenemy mode even though it is RIDICULOUSLY HARD. Me and two guys just took Koth Archenemy down to FOUR freakin HP. The Scheme cards really make it tough, but it's pretty fun.

The menus are better and the table looks awesome and overall it just feels a bit smoother. For all the content you get for what would be the same as like 30 real life cards its worth it in my opinion.

locoloco
06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
I liked the first one, but let's be honest; it was a pile of crap.

Horrible load times, limits on co-op, very limited deck customization, poor music, no story, and the list goes on....

The second fixed many, if not all, of the above problems. I'd even buy this game if they doubled the price.

Easter Bunny 00
06-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah, i agree with everybody else. the first one, i loved it! who didnt?
but there were things about it that kinda sucked. Still fun though

This one? The intro - Awesome.
The menu - Sweet.
Load times? Very manageable.
Co-op - Basically revolves around it!
The music is one of my favorite things though about this. its amazing.

All and all, if i had to sum the game up, itd be like.. like a downloadable orgasm.

Perax
06-15-2011, 03:07 PM
I played only a couple of matchs with this one new Magic, but i can already say is far superior from first one, and if you love Magic, you'll surely love this one.

Oh and it's a very reasonable price, and they limited the loading time !!!!!

Ted2751
06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Would you recommend it to someone who hasn't played the first one, or any magic for that matter? I played the trial of the first one about a week ago and quite enjoyed it, but didn't buy it because this was coming out, but now i'm not sure.

locoloco
06-15-2011, 03:15 PM
^It's not necessary to play previous titles of magic to enjoy this one.

The learning scale isn't too high, but if you play against other experienced people online you will most likely lose.

I highly recommend this game to you

elsnoggler
06-15-2011, 05:09 PM
I liked the first one, but let's be honest; it was a pile of crap.

Horrible load times, limits on co-op, very limited deck customization, poor music, no story, and the list goes on....

The second fixed many, if not all, of the above problems. I'd even buy this game if they doubled the price.
This. Obviously the deck editing isn't as robust as, say, MTGO (because then you wouldn't be spending loads of money on packs), but this game has had a major infusion of playability.

Magic 2012 is hand over fist an improvement from the last.

theNomad
06-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Just noticed it myself on xboxlive UK, only 800 MSP seems a great price. Will try the trial and most likely unlock if it takes my fancy. Seems better value than buying add-on DLC that you usually complete in 30/60 minutes.

Ruble
06-15-2011, 05:43 PM
I loved the first game, but everything about this one is so much better. The whole interface is neater and better organised, looks tidier, the game table is pretty cool (I want one of those in my house!), the load times are better and the deck management is easier. I like that you can choose the deck you want to use before a duel, without having to go to a seperate menu. The whole thing is smoother and prettier to look at. Music is better than the first, too. More... atmospheric.

And the intro was pretty awesome. =D

MooMooChicken
06-15-2011, 09:14 PM
The game is worth the 800 points it costs. The game is pretty easy 200 points and will only get easier once people start posting how to beat the archenemy levels.

Star Forger
06-15-2011, 09:50 PM
This game is GREAT! I love MTG, and this game offers everything you need to get your fill (except full deck customization, as previously mentioned) of playing the game. They fixed a lot of the problems that the original game had, and if you play the game in real life (paper Magic), the promo card is a nice addition, since I believe it's currently valued at $25, which is two and a half times what you payed for the game. So all in all, a great buy for the price it is being offered at.

theNomad
06-16-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm a Magic Noob bought it immediately after trying the trial. Been playing a little over an hour (its heaps of fun even though I'm still learning).

You can unlock 10 decks each with 16 extra cards, a code for a free exclusive physical card (incase you play the real game) 12 achievements amounting to 200g plus it even has 3 avatar award un-lockable's (1 Cap & 2 T-Shirts). For just 800msp it's a steal.

;) I just need to grow some nads and try my luck against real players now.

TheUglyCasanova
06-16-2011, 12:07 AM
So all in all, a great buy for the price it is being offered at.

Definitely. My friend is a HUGE magic player and he has spent thousand and thousand of dollars on real cards. I get 10 decks to mess around with for a price less than two booster packs. Totally a great deal, especially for those of us who have no intent on shelling out tons of cash to get such decks of your own.

Eje12345
06-16-2011, 03:05 AM
I"ve never really been into MTG but I think I'll buy this. I like the concept.

ShoKill84
06-16-2011, 03:21 AM
The game is awesome. I'm so glad they improved on many things. Still being unable to choose what lands you tap when you cast a spell is annoying in those very specific situations, but I'm SO happy I can take out whichever cards I want from the deck! Overall it seems like quite the improvement over the last game. Although, it's a MTG game, so I'd probably still have bought it even if it was complete trash. :)

TheUglyCasanova
06-16-2011, 03:28 AM
The game is awesome. I'm so glad they improved on many things. Still being unable to choose what lands you tap when you cast a spell is annoying in those very specific situations, but I'm SO happy I can take out whichever cards I want from the deck! Overall it seems like quite the improvement over the last game. Although, it's a MTG game, so I'd probably still have bought it even if it was complete trash. :)

Yeah the land tapping is still pretty annoying. I've still had one instance of the game freezing up, but nothing like the last game.

It's funny how limited the deck customization still is, but being able to remove cards makes this game SO much better. Nothing sucked more than having a 74 card deck cause you couldn't take anything out.

batboy
06-16-2011, 04:32 AM
I'm glad that ya'll have a positive thing to say about this version of magic. Downloading this right now, can't wait to get back into magic once again. It sound like Archenemy mode is going to be interesting though.

Skode
06-16-2011, 12:52 PM
My friends and I are all in agreement - the new multiplayer features are awesome, the new decks are awesome and the overall better balancing of decks is also awesome.

Nothing much to complain about so far except as expected a mile and a half off - every second person you play against is still resorting to going with the Vampire deck.

RK1 R33D
06-16-2011, 02:16 PM
My friends and I are all in agreement - the new multiplayer features are awesome, the new decks are awesome and the overall better balancing of decks is also awesome.

Nothing much to complain about so far except as expected a mile and a half off - every second person you play against is still resorting to going with the Vampire deck.
get that Blue/Green deck unlocked. By turn 5 I used Elvish Piper to get Kozilek, Butcher of Truth out and completely decimated a vamp deck :)

CornishMessiah
06-16-2011, 09:39 PM
As far as balancing goes this one is much better, I do however miss a lot of things from the previous game + after just 2-3 hours I'm already finished and waiting for the DLC, at least the first one gave me the unlock 100% achievement to keep me occupied for a while.

It's still a good game but I do prefer the original.