PDA

View Full Version : Xbox future cloud storage concerns

Ryot Control
06-15-2011, 06:32 PM
http://majornelson.com/2011/06/06/cloud-storage-and-more-coming-to-xbox-live/

I've been talking to other gamers and doing my research in concerns to the soon to be offered cloud storage capabilities and we're having conflicting interpretations as to what the press release is actually telling everyone.

I'm pretty sure that the game saves are option for sure, which is fine. But the gamertag ownership is what I'm really concerned about. Some of us are reading it as if your gamertag is going to be made mandatory to be uploaded on the cloud server. Some of us are reading it as an optional possibility.

I guess the real question I'm asking is, "Are you guys reading this article like we HAVE to upload our profiles to the cloud?" If I had my choice, I would not opt to do so. The last thing I would want is to make it easier for anyone other than myself to access my profile.

I'm sure the reason that mandatory gamertag surrender is designed for a higher level of scrutiny for security, to catch cheaters, accessibility and other things that escape me. But what if you travel to a place that has no internet? Then you can't access the cloud. What if your internet connection is shaky? Will the possibility of your profile corrupt rise compared to having it locally on your system if it has to travel the internet to acknowledge saves, purchases and downloads?

Finally, gamertag integrity. Not that anything that other people do with their tags is any of my business, but now the possibility to access a person's profile anywhere from the world opens up a new area of concern for Gamer Scoring League participants. It will soon be a sanctioned option provided by Microsoft for it's customers. People don't even have to mail each other games anymore. Unless someone is willing to do integrity checks / party checks people playing at any time, there will always be that lingering suspicion. (Not that it wasn't there to a lesser extent before.)

summeranne
06-15-2011, 08:49 PM
It's possible that this will operate similar to the iCloud, in which your files aren't stored only on the cloud, they are mirrored there. That would make the most sense to me.

Skillet
06-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Sounds to me like it will be largely unchanged from how it is now. But instead of recovering your tag if you forget your memory card the next time you go to a friend's house, you just pop in your Live ID and off you go.

They already store your gamertag online. It sounds like they're just making it easier to access from anywhere to me.

Chaosx721
06-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Sounds to me like it will be largely unchanged from how it is now. But instead of recovering your tag if you forget your memory card the next time you go to a friend's house, you just pop in your Live ID and off you go.

They already store your gamertag online. It sounds like they're just making it easier to access from anywhere to me.
Pretty much this. Your gamertag will be just as secure as it is now, maybe even more. I don't know if it will be optional or not, but I doubt it will as I'm sure they'll just transfer all gamertags to it. Also you should be able to download your gamertag from the cloud if you're going to a place without internet, and when you get back you should be able to upload any new info on your tag such as new achievements and games played.

CyberPunch83
06-15-2011, 11:31 PM
This sounds all well and good, we all know how arduous the process of recovering a gamertag currently is. Only having to put the gamer ID in and then go sounds like something they should have done since day one, but I suppose there wasn't a way until cloud storage. The next big question is how is this going to work with game saves? Will they also be able to be retrieved the same way as tags? It would make co-op for many games a lot easier.