PDA

View Full Version : New Kinect Fun Labs Apps

[Waggly Bean]
06-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Randomly stumbled across THIS (https://kinectshare.com/Content/News/NewsDetail.aspx?id=A3375304-8E3F-11E0-B4F0-7BC14824019B) today.

Basically, MS are showcasing some newly developed apps, and allowing everyone to vote on their favourites. It seems that the top-voted one will be put onto Kinect Fun Labs soon. (Although I could imagine all of them going up on the service at some point!)

The list currently consists of:

Virtual Conductor (http://bit.ly/virtualconductor)
Keyboard Anywhere (http://bit.ly/keyboardanywhere)
Kinect Body Art (http://bit.ly/kinectbodyart)
Hand Puppets (http://bit.ly/handpuppets)
Digital Pin Art (http://bit.ly/kinectpinart)
Music Visualizer (http://bit.ly/musicvisualizer)

Keyboard Anywhere seems to be winning by a long shot at the moment - and not surprisingly as it's actually looking rather cool. Check out the video for some Tom Hanks style action:
YouTube - ‪E3 2011: Kinect Fun Labs Election: Keyboard Anywhere‬‏

There are videos of all of the apps - check them out for some pretty interesting ideas. Don't bother with Kinect Body Art though - that looks terrible! :p

Foxxy kyle
06-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks for showing this to me, none of them look to good though :p. I suppose ill need to vote for one though..

BluWolve
06-15-2011, 09:41 PM
im pretty sure voting closed a while ago..? not 100% sure though. apparently the keyboard anywhere app is way in the lead last time i checked, but they were still tallying votes. they all sound quite poor to me.

MangledRex
06-16-2011, 03:29 PM
I wish they'd release sparkler already

sleepydumbdude
06-16-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't really care for any of them but voted for the music visualizer because I'd like to mess around with it.

rob099
07-16-2011, 03:24 PM
all in all i guess it doesnt matter what one goes up as it was said they properly all will go up soon
one thing are they free i have kinect and got kinect lab i was just wondering are they all going to be free as kinect was expensive in itself be nice to have some free stuff for it to

[Waggly Bean]
07-16-2011, 03:41 PM
kinect was expensive in itself be nice to have some free stuff for it to

I wondered this too. Hopefully Microsoft will keep giving them out for free, but I could see them setting up a micro-payment service, where each app cost 80MSP or something similar.

If this happens, I won't be buying any - but I will happily keep trying them out if they remain free! ;)

Mythtakes
07-16-2011, 04:46 PM
since the latest update, funlabs hasn't been loading up for me... it freezes on a loading screen - anybody else have a similar/the same problem?

[Waggly Bean]
07-16-2011, 04:57 PM
since the latest update, funlabs hasn't been loading up for me... it freezes on a loading screen - anybody else have a similar/the same problem?

I just tested mine - it updated, then went to a black screen for about 30 secs - I thought it had frozen up but then it loaded up the blue background. However, it did then freeze completely on this screen. Left it a good 3 minutes or so and nothing. Can't even get the guide to appear.

Is it possible this is a universal problem - perhaps the fun labs servers are down right now?

Mythtakes
07-16-2011, 05:34 PM
;4362679']I just tested mine - it updated, then went to a black screen for about 30 secs - I thought it had frozen up but then it loaded up the blue background. However, it did then freeze completely on this screen. Left it a good 3 minutes or so and nothing. Can't even get the guide to appear.

Is it possible this is a universal problem - perhaps the fun labs servers are down right now?

Yeah, freezes on the blue screen for me too. Can't get to guide, only way to get off it is to switch my 360 on and off.

CuddlyREDRUM
07-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Crazy, thanks wag. I wish they would release that Sparkler whatever thing, too, to whoever stated that. Free stuff is rarely a bad thing.

BluWolve
07-17-2011, 10:58 PM
;4362679']I just tested mine - it updated, then went to a black screen for about 30 secs - I thought it had frozen up but then it loaded up the blue background. However, it did then freeze completely on this screen. Left it a good 3 minutes or so and nothing. Can't even get the guide to appear.

Same problem with me. I tried clearing system cache and also deleting and re-downloading kinect fun labs with no fix. All we can do really is wait for a fix :(

[Waggly Bean]
07-18-2011, 06:19 PM
I asked @XboxSupport. Sounds like it is a known problem. No official answer to the problem though - just to try deleting and redownloading etc... :(

http://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/93010288672120832

jamie1000013
07-19-2011, 04:22 AM
So all of the DLC for Kinect Fun Labs is free? e.g. all the 4 50G packs? Just want to know because my cousin has Kinect so he could get some freebies lol.

[Waggly Bean]
07-19-2011, 08:37 PM
So all of the DLC for Kinect Fun Labs is free? e.g. all the 4 50G packs? Just want to know because my cousin has Kinect so he could get some freebies lol.

Yep, it's a totally free 200G. :)

brak2000
07-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Just got a Kinect recently and Fun Labs was working properly for me until I downloaded the Bobblehead gadget - now it just freezes up on the blue screen. Maybe the problem is linked to that specific one?

The Dagda Mor
07-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Glad I read this thread I thought I did something wrong somehow. Stinking freezeup!

[Waggly Bean]
07-25-2011, 07:55 PM
I found a quick fix in another thread here on x360a, and it's simply a case of using the Quick Launch. (thanks to whoever posted it first - I forget where I saw it now!)

I detailed how to do it in another different thread, but because I'm too lazy to write it out again, I'm going to simply copy & paste what I wrote here! :p

;4382366']As mentioned in another thread, you can use Quick Launch to get at the apps individually until they fix the Fun Labs 'hub'. I just played Avatar Kinect this way.

For those who don't know what I mean, press your Guide Button, press left, then go down to the option 'Quick Launch' and press 'A'.

Once there, go right to Latest Downloads if you've just downloaded Avatar Kinect, and it should be at or near the top of the list. Highlight it and press 'A' to launch it!

If you want to launch the old apps, go all the way right to 'All' under Quick Launch. This may take a while to load if you have bought loads of games off the marketplace. From here, you can scroll to:
Bobble Head
Build A Buddy

Weirdly though, Kinect Me and Googly Eyes don't seem to appear in this list! :confused:

So there you go, in the meantime we can still play Avatar Kinect (which is pretty rubbish by the way), Build a Buddy and Bobble Head.

It seems Kinect Me and Googly Eyes are still only accessible from the Fun Labs menus... :(

QuickMythril
08-15-2011, 11:36 AM
ok so i downloaded fun labs today and found out that after the title update it freezes at the blue sky screen. i was able to play googly eyes and kinect me after deleting the title update (2 out of 6 lab apps solved). i even found out that you can play them online still by only signing into live after you start the app. it will request an update for googly eyes or kinect me specifically and just reset that app so you don't have to go back to the blue screen. to get avatar kinect and sparkler to work it was as simple as launching them from the quick launch. (4 out of 6 minus 240 ms points for sparkler) now people have been saying that you can run bobble head and build a buddy from quick launch as well, but i don't have those games listed. from what i understand you have to run kinect labs while online and it will retrieve them, but the title update now prevents that. so for the people that missed the boat with the bobbles and buddies, my solution would be to copy the files from content/0000000000000000/58480813/00000002 (for bobble head) and content/0000000000000000/58480812/00000002 (for build a buddy). but someone else who already has these games would need to provide the files... any takers?