PDA

View Full Version : What should they do to improve it from Halo: Reach?

fax5jrj
06-15-2011, 10:00 PM
In other words, fix it.

-The only way I see it is to totally ditch the "armor abilities," and attempt to innovate the multiplayer in ways that don't change it too much.

-Actually put effort into the maps. (Reach had some pretty bad ones... also the dlc's were absolutely worthless, and if it wasn't for Unearthed, Breakpoint and Anchor 9, I would say useless)

-Take away new weapons from Reach, and keep the combat (weapons, vehicles, grenades, and just the combat system in general) from Halo 3, since you shouldn't change something that is flawless. (Yes I know Halo 3 wasn't flawless, but I would rather it stay the same, since I didn't really like Reach's combat system.)

-Keep Reach's forge, but still innovate it with new things such as weather options, and actually make it so you can forge every map to it's fullest.

-Use exportation on files from Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

-Use basic infection from Halo 3, not Reach, since Reach took away what made Halo so replayable. (Can't really explain it. It's just Reach's infection was just too simple and it took away some of the core infection customizations.

-Use the power-ups (Bubble Shields, Grav Lift, Portable Shield) from Halo 3, since those made the online really fun, and in my opinion they should have kept them in Reach.

BTW, if there is Armor Abilities, it would be really stupid considering they were "wiped out" on Reach. Also, they made Reach multiplayer not as fun.

Any other suggestions?

Added:

-They should have a plot as good as Halo: CE's, level designs as good as Halo 2's, custom games as good as Halo 3's, firefight as good as ODST's (no invincibility) and forge that is as good as Halo: Reach's.

-Theatre mode is still lacking in some ways in both games, such as neither of them having a REAL rewind button. I would also like the ability to run the videos through different filters rather than having to have the filter on the actual level itself. Adjustable zoom features would be a huge benefit and it would be nice if certain features didn't disappear when you get to close (explosions in particular tend to disappear if you get to close to them.) -DarkReign2021

-Have it so they release every map from every Halo game re-released, for a price of course. (In my opinion this should all be released at once, so they can focus on other DLC for the game.)

-Make it so when you release DLC, you have to have the maps to access certain playlists, because it will increase sales, and make it more fun overall. -DarkReign2021

-Have all the maps be original, not ported from the campaign.

-Most weapons need powered down a little, especially grenades. Shotgun, rockets, and sword are more overpowered than usual, and small weapons like the spiker, needler, and plasma pistol are ridiculously powerful. Also the sniper's reticule is too big, making it too easy to use. -skinned onion

-Too many power weapons on almost every map. It seems like every map must have a sniper, shotgun, sword, and rockets. -skinned onion

-The whole file sharing system needs to be simpler. Maybe incorporate some of the new with the old. I like being able to find the most downloaded maps right from my console, but even after months I still get lost looking for things. -skinned onion

-There should be two separate categories, Social and Ranked. The Social should be customizable in way that's not too overpowered but allows freedom at the same time. Like being able to pick between a DMR, a BR, an Assault Rifle, and maybe a plasma repeater/rifle as a primary, and for a secondary being able to pick between magnums, submachine guns and a plasma pistol. Then just put the rest on the map like they normally are. For ranked it should be normal. Kind of like Classic mode from COD4.

-Make it so when you're invisible, your still invisible when you move, since that also sort of ruined infection also.

-Have it so games are joinable in progress, but keep the penalty so that option is only a fallback on the chance someone quits.

-Give people credits for going for the objective, because there is no incentive to go for an objective at the moment. -CIF

SuperSkyline89
06-16-2011, 12:44 AM
I think just the fact that it's a new trilogy will mean it's better than Reach. The original trilogy was awesome because the combat was such a large scale and each battle was so important in the end.

Reach didn't feel all that important to me, basically spent the whole game evacuating things. Getting Cortana to the Autumn was obviously important but that was so last minute I just didn't feel all that urgent when it got to that point.

fax5jrj
06-16-2011, 01:46 AM
I think just the fact that it's a new trilogy will mean it's better than Reach. The original trilogy was awesome because the combat was such a large scale and each battle was so important in the end.

Reach didn't feel all that important to me, unnecessary basically spent the whole game evacuating things. Getting Cortana to the Autumn was obviously important but that was so last minute I just didn't feel all that urgent when it got to that point.

Yeah, I think Reach was extremely unnecessary, and Bungie should have just worked on Halo 4.

ZingZitang
06-16-2011, 05:28 PM
BTW, if there is Armor Abilities, it would be really stupid considering they were "wiped out" on Reach.
Why do people think that because Planet Reach was lost, that All the technology was Lost with it?

Thats just, no offense, but its Stupid to think that.

You can't honestly think that Reach was the only place in the Whole Universe where these Technologies were in Use? Can you? And even if they Were, there's a 99.9% chance that all the Design Specifications for these weapons would be Kept somewhere within the UNSC Headquarters on Earth, or in some Database somewhere.

Also, Reach was Not Completely Glassed. Only mostly.

DarkReign2021
06-16-2011, 10:30 PM
^most likely ONI has copies of the hardware specs if nothing else.

Anyway, I typed up an hour long post detailing the good and bad of each game in the series, but it failed to post and I lost it, so quick summary:

Halo 1 had the excellent gameplay with perfect weapon balance and heavy emphasis on vehicle usage. Blood Gulch and Sidewinder both vehicular driven and it made the encounters much more drawn out and epic.

Halo 2 had the best multiplayer level designs of the series and had a lot of interaction within the levels. Things like the zanzibar gate, terminal train, and even the breakable stalagmites in Waterworks all added to the Halo experience. In the Campaign, it also had an enormous variety of enemy unit types such as Honor Guard and Heretics.

Halo 3 didn't really do anything right. The Health System was the same crappy system as Halo 2. The multiplayer Maps were mostly unmemorable. The Spartan Laser made vehicle use suicide at best. Most of the equipment had no worthwhile effect. A lot of the enemies went the wayside (Didn't even get to fight Elites in this game.) The plot was just one big bundle of missed potential as well.

ODST added open-ended gameplay. Even though it wasn't a true sandbox, the semi-open city was a test that I think warranted a second attempt (It was a shame to see them do away with this idea in Halo: Reach. New Alexandria was the closest to it and I love that level for it.) It also added Engineers to the gameplay finally as well as Silenced Weaponry. Even though the Elites were still gone, the game's firefight mode offered a large variety of enemy types to encounter as well.

Halo: Reach added the health system that is mid-way between Halo 1's health bar and Halo 2's rechargeable health. I think this is the perfect system for the Halo series. The campaign overall was a solid experience and the aesthetic variety of the Elites was a welcome addition as were the introduction of the Skirmishers as a whole. Such variety should've extended to all of the other races as well (especially Drones, who were unfortunately kicked back down to a single rank whereas ODST at least had a shielded Captain rank that made for some interesting encounters.) Reach also added Sprint and Jetpack, two additions I thought were great for the series and I hope will make a comeback. The other AA's, however, I hope never show their faces again. Especially Armor Lock. Ruined the game. All of the MP and FF maps were garbage copy and paste jobs from the campaign and the DLC maps were the only saving grace for the MP. Bloom and a decreased and more specialized assortment of weapons fortunately made the multiplayer gameplay a good deal more enjoyable than Halo 3's clusterfuck of an online service with weapon clones and BR whores.

I won't get into the campaign for the next game right now as I've talked about it enough in the other threads, but as for the multiplayer in Halo 4, alongside it's own natural innovations and additions like in-depth weapons customization, should focus the most on Halo 1 and Halo 2's pros. In particular, I want to see Halo 1's focus on vehicles make a return. Vehicles were one of the driving points of Halo's success and that seems to be something Bungie forgot about. I hope 343 doesn't make the same mistake. As for the Halo 2 focuses, they need to bring the life back into the maps. Certain Affinity, ex-bungie members who developed the original maps and even created all of the DLC maps after forming their own company, is said to be doing the remakes for Halo: CEmake, so they may be involved in Halo 4 as well. Than just for good measure, throw in a dash of Reach with the Jetpack, Sprint, and Health system and we've got a solid game.

fax5jrj
06-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Why do people think that because Planet Reach was lost, that All the technology was Lost with it?

Thats just, no offense, but its Stupid to think that.

You can't honestly think that Reach was the only place in the Whole Universe where these Technologies were in Use? Can you? And even if they Were, there's a 99.9% chance that all the Design Specifications for these weapons would be Kept somewhere within the UNSC Headquarters on Earth, or in some Database somewhere.

Also, Reach was Not Completely Glassed. Only mostly.

Yeah, I know, that's mostly just my excuse because I didn't like armor abilities.

But I still don't think they should incorporate that into the the game, since that would sort of take away from the classic Halo experience, IMO.

Halo 3 didn't really do anything right. The Health System was the same crappy system as Halo 2. The multiplayer Maps were mostly unmemorable. The Spartan Laser made vehicle use suicide at best. Most of the equipment had no worthwhile effect. A lot of the enemies went the wayside (Didn't even get to fight Elites in this game.) The plot was just one big bundle of missed potential as well.

I really don't get why everyone hates Halo 3. I thought it was Halo multiplayer at it's best. Well I guess that's just my opinion though...

DarkReign2021
06-17-2011, 12:15 AM
I really don't get why everyone hates Halo 3. I thought it was Halo multiplayer at it's best. Well I guess that's just my opinion though...

...I guess I can just point at all of the reasons I already listed. I just didn't find the experience to be as enjoyable. I think a big part of it was the move from Xbox to Xbox 360. This brought in a lot of new gamers and gamers that moved from Sony or Ninty to MS in the 7th gen. Halo 3 was their first foray into Halo and they brought about a different atmosphere. Compared to Halo 2, Halo 3 had a lot more immaturity, racism, and sexism. It also had more obnoxious children, less teamwork, K/D whores, arrogant "50's", etc... plus when Halo 2 did it it was kind of a new thing. Matchmaking was a new concept and online console shooters hadn't really kicked off. Halo 2 was a pioneer where Halo 3 was just a shameless clone. Plus Halo 3 killed a lot of the things I loved about Halo, so I personally will never forgive it for that.

fax5jrj
06-17-2011, 07:35 PM
...I guess I can just point at all of the reasons I already listed. I just didn't find the experience to be as enjoyable. I think a big part of it was the move from Xbox to Xbox 360. This brought in a lot of new gamers and gamers that moved from Sony or Ninty to MS in the 7th gen. Halo 3 was their first foray into Halo and they brought about a different atmosphere. Compared to Halo 2, Halo 3 had a lot more immaturity, racism, and sexism. It also had more obnoxious children, less teamwork, K/D whores, arrogant "50's", etc... plus when Halo 2 did it it was kind of a new thing. Matchmaking was a new concept and online console shooters hadn't really kicked off. Halo 2 was a pioneer where Halo 3 was just a shameless clone. Plus Halo 3 killed a lot of the things I loved about Halo, so I personally will never forgive it for that.

I kind of agree. The multi-player was sort of good, but the maps were really good. Especially the ones from the DLC's. The campaign was OK, but the things that made this my second favorite Halo game is Forge + custom games (First is Halo: CE). It made the game very replayable and enjoyable, at least for me and a lot of other people.

Which is why a lot of people didn't like Reach. It totally took away what made Halo 3 replayable (a proper infection), and the maps sucked.

Which is why I hope for Halo 4, they have a plot as good as Halo: CE's, level designs as good as Halo 2's, custom games as good as Halo 3's, firefight as good as ODST's (no invincibility) and forge that is as good as Halo: Reach's.

DarkReign2021
06-17-2011, 08:01 PM
^That's the thing about Halo 3. With the exception of Grifball (which I don't personally enjoy anyway) none of the custom gametypes originated in Halo 3.

Swat was a concept that was popularized by a Halo 2 custom gametype called WW3 (which was far superior because it was commonly played on Headlong and Coagulation and consistently featured Warthogs and Scorpion tanks.)

Tower of Power was a big gametype from Halo 2 that unfortunately never had a chance to come back in H3, it did come back in Reach somewhat. Not nearly as popular as it was though.
Beat Down (the PP spawn with all players having overshields) originated in Halo 1, but popularized in Halo 2 before becoming an official Halo 3 gametype.

Infection was originally conceived as a game called Zombies in Halo 2's custom matches. Even though we didn't have the scripting for it and it relied on the honor system for players to switch teams after they were killed, it was far more enjoyable to play on the H2 maps. You are right though, Reach really messed up Infection compared to H3. Particularly with the cheap hiding spots on all of the maps.

Plus on top of that you didn't have those horrible MLG gametypes with the rules that changed every week according to what MLG thought was "pro" *Cough*eliminated because they were getting owned by it* >_> heh.

I will give Halo 3 credit for Forge and Theatre mode though. Even though Forge is far superior in Reach control's wise, I did prefer the 2 Forge levels in H3 more because of the unique texture selection (which is why Reach really needs adjustable weather and terrain features as well as changeable object skins.) Theatre mode is still lacking in some ways in both games, such as neither of them having a REAL rewind button. I would also like the ability to run the videos through different filters rather than having to have the filter on the actual level itself. Adjustable zoom features would be a huge benefit and it would be nice if certain features didn't disappear when you get to close (explosions in particular tend to disappear if you get to close to them.)

fax5jrj
06-18-2011, 03:49 PM
^That's the thing about Halo 3. With the exception of Grifball (which I don't personally enjoy anyway) none of the custom gametypes originated in Halo 3.

Swat was a concept that was popularized by a Halo 2 custom gametype called WW3 (which was far superior because it was commonly played on Headlong and Coagulation and consistently featured Warthogs and Scorpion tanks.)

Tower of Power was a big gametype from Halo 2 that unfortunately never had a chance to come back in H3, it did come back in Reach somewhat. Not nearly as popular as it was though.
Beat Down (the PP spawn with all players having overshields) originated in Halo 1, but popularized in Halo 2 before becoming an official Halo 3 gametype.

Infection was originally conceived as a game called Zombies in Halo 2's custom matches. Even though we didn't have the scripting for it and it relied on the honor system for players to switch teams after they were killed, it was far more enjoyable to play on the H2 maps. You are right though, Reach really messed up Infection compared to H3. Particularly with the cheap hiding spots on all of the maps.

Plus on top of that you didn't have those horrible MLG gametypes with the rules that changed every week according to what MLG thought was "pro" *Cough*eliminated because they were getting owned by it* >_> heh.

I will give Halo 3 credit for Forge and Theatre mode though. Even though Forge is far superior in Reach control's wise, I did prefer the 2 Forge levels in H3 more because of the unique texture selection (which is why Reach really needs adjustable weather and terrain features as well as changeable object skins.) Theatre mode is still lacking in some ways in both games, such as neither of them having a REAL rewind button. I would also like the ability to run the videos through different filters rather than having to have the filter on the actual level itself. Adjustable zoom features would be a huge benefit and it would be nice if certain features didn't disappear when you get to close (explosions in particular tend to disappear if you get to close to them.)

I came to the series late. I played Halo 1, then Halo: ODST, then Halo 3, then Halo 2, so I don't know what was copied and stuff. I loved infection in Halo 3, so I'm sure it was good in Halo 2 also. I also agree with you that the two forge maps in Halo 3 were awesome and fun to create stuff on. That's why I mentioned that import feature in my original post.

That would take a lot of space, but they be like Rockband and have you pay to export, which for every Halo fan, it would be well worth the money.

DarkReign2021
06-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Personally, just as a thank you for all of the fans, I think EVERY map in the series should be recreated. Release them in 5 packs on Day 1. You would have the H1 pack, the H2 pack, H3 pack, and Reach pack. Than you would have the ODST/Reach FF pack as well. They're each $15-$20 and contain all of the maps from that game. Even better would be if we could buy all of the maps individually (kinda like an iTunes thing) as there are select maps from each game I would like to have without being stuck with the rest of the crap. They all had stinkers (except H1 oddly enough. They were all amazing to me.)

Jawsant
06-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Personally, just as a thank you for all of the fans, I think EVERY map in the series should be recreated. Release them in 5 packs on Day 1. You would have the H1 pack, the H2 pack, H3 pack, and Reach pack. Than you would have the ODST/Reach FF pack as well. They're each $15-$20 and contain all of the maps from that game. Even better would be if we could buy all of the maps individually (kinda like an iTunes thing) as there are select maps from each game I would like to have without being stuck with the rest of the crap. They all had stinkers (except H1 oddly enough. They were all amazing to me.) That's a great idea! (not sarcastic) You should write an email to 343 about this.

fax5jrj
06-19-2011, 03:51 AM
Personally, just as a thank you for all of the fans, I think EVERY map in the series should be recreated. Release them in 5 packs on Day 1. You would have the H1 pack, the H2 pack, H3 pack, and Reach pack. Than you would have the ODST/Reach FF pack as well. They're each $15-$20 and contain all of the maps from that game. Even better would be if we could buy all of the maps individually (kinda like an iTunes thing) as there are select maps from each game I would like to have without being stuck with the rest of the crap. They all had stinkers (except H1 oddly enough. They were all amazing to me.)

Yeah, but I don't want to pay $60+ for every map. So maybe it should be priced accordingly to how many maps the game has. Like 40 microsoft points per map.

So that would be 960 Microsoft points for Halo 2 + 3, 320 for ODST, and 760 for Halo: CE.

lol I think that is exactly 3000 Microsoft points. So I think that's $36? That's definitely worth it. :)

Please notify me if I did my math wrong...

SuperSkyline89
06-19-2011, 06:55 AM

Honestly I'd hardly call $15-20 per pack a thank you to fans. More like the sound of a cash register. $5 per pack is reasonable.

DarkReign2021
06-19-2011, 06:41 PM
When you think about it, though, it's really an amazing deal. We already pay $10 for the 2 or 3 maps that come with current map packs. After excluding all of the maps that've already been remade in Reach, each of the game packs would be coming with a good dozen or so. That's easily a few hundred dollars worth of maps in the long run. I would personally love the maps to be $5 a pop (or free obviously) but realistically I wouldn't expect them for any less than $15 or $20 and we're lucky to even get that.

You gotta remember there are men and women putting work into these maps on the opposite end of the spectrum and they're working to pay their bills and feed their families, so they have to make enough to pay the designers effectively on top of maintaining the greediness of the Publisher's role.

SuperSkyline89
06-19-2011, 07:42 PM
The price they charge for 3 maps as it is is a ripoff. I still haven't found a single Invasion game on Breakpoint and have no way to force it to do so.

It's not that I expect remade map packs at $5 each. I just think you'd have to be a brainwashed puppet to consider $25-30 a thank you from a multi-million dollar game developer.

When they want to thank their fans they give away free stuff or heavily discounted DLC like with the Rockstar Pass or the bundled DLC for Gears of War 2. That is a real thank you to the fans.

DarkReign2021
06-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Ok. Perhaps less of a thank you and more a nod to show that they're listening to their fans. That work? We've been asking for years that they bring all of the maps forward, so it'd just be nice if they could do that one thing. I honestly have no problem paying $15-$20 for a pack of maps that size (though it'd be nice if they converted some of the H1, H2, and H3 maps to also work in Firefight. That'd be awesome.) My only issue would be if they all came out at the same time. They need to be spaced out by a few months at least, much like map packs are now. I'll pay 15 for the new maps and some achievements in H1 now, than 4 or 5 months from now bring out the H2 pack and so on.

As for the Breakpoint invasion thing, that's because Bungie fucked up their playlists. They had the bright idea to open up all of the playlists to all players (guest included, which pisses me off to no end) and to make seperate playlists for the minority that actually bought them, which is so lacking in playlist variety it's not even funny (Seriously? I don't want to play Objective gametypes. I want BTB, Invasion, and SWAT on my new maps. Not assault and CTF.

Halo 3 had it right. You had the ranked playlists and the social playlists. Social Playlists had no mappack levels available amd ranked playlists did, so if you were one of the cheapskates that wanted to play Halo without getting the extra maps, you were going to be limited in your selection of gametypes. Meanwhile, everybody that wanted to even play a ranked match was forced to buy the DLC. This garnered a lot more sales and overall made the DLC maps much more common (Toward the end, I don't even remember playing maps on H3 that weren't DLC. Same way with H2. Yet on Reach i can't remember ever playing a new map outside of the DLC playlist and the few times the maps even popped up outside of it they were instantly vetoed by the retards that insist on playing Swat on Sword Base in EVERY MATCH so they can camp the elevator room.)

fax5jrj
06-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Halo 3 had it right. You had the ranked playlists and the social playlists. Social Playlists had no mappack levels available amd ranked playlists did, so if you were one of the cheapskates that wanted to play Halo without getting the extra maps, you were going to be limited in your selection of gametypes. Meanwhile, everybody that wanted to even play a ranked match was forced to buy the DLC. This garnered a lot more sales and overall made the DLC maps much more common (Toward the end, I don't even remember playing maps on H3 that weren't DLC. Same way with H2. Yet on Reach i can't remember ever playing a new map outside of the DLC playlist and the few times the maps even popped up outside of it they were instantly vetoed by the retards that insist on playing Swat on Sword Base in EVERY MATCH so they can camp the elevator room.)

I've never really thought of it that way. Now that I think of it, I have played on a DLC map in normal multiplayer maybe five times at most.

I'll add that to my improvements.

Edit: I don't think they should space them out, since they should focus on other DLC.

Demonhunter21
06-20-2011, 06:40 AM
I've never really thought of it that way. Now that I think of it, I have played on a DLC map in normal multiplayer maybe five times at most.

I'll add that to my improvements.

Edit: I don't think they should space them out, since they should focus on other DLC.
I've also rarely played the DLC outside of DLC playlists, about the same as you. although if they did release about 3/4 remake map packs at the same time for around $15-20 or whatever it was someone above said, not many people would buy them all then and it would be just as hard to find a game, spread it out to maximum one a week and more would sold I reckon and game finding for those maps would be made easier.

PIIILGRIIIM
06-20-2011, 07:58 AM
i really think they should quit while they are ahead. dont keep pumping out more, it will start to get too repetitive

skinned onion
06-20-2011, 08:07 AM
I've been complaining about Reach for just about ever. People who wanted a skill based game played Halo, and others played COD or something else. Since Reach, there has been no skill game because Reach killed Halo 3. I agree with all of your points.

-Most weapons need powered down a little, especially grenades. Shotgun, rockets, and sword are more overpowered than usual, and small weapons like the spiker, needler, and plasma pistol are ridiculously powerful. Also the sniper's reticule is too big, making it too easy to use.

-Too many power weapons on almost every map. It seems like every map must have a sniper, shotgun, sword, rockets, and grenade launcher.

-The whole file sharing system needs to be simpler. Maybe incorporate some of the new with the old. I like being able to find the most downloaded maps right from my console, but even after months I still get lost looking for things.

Demonhunter21
06-20-2011, 10:10 AM
The whole file sharing system needs to be simpler. Maybe incorporate some of the new with the old. I like being able to find the most downloaded maps right from my console, but even after months I still get lost looking for things.
forgot about that, I def preferred the Halo 3 system TBH but like small parts of the Reach one.

and some sort of map grouping thing
e.g. I download all of the horse maps from roosterteeth so I want to create a map group called Horse maps where I put all my horse maps.
another section I can call race tracks as I have around 20-30 of them and another map group where I can put all the PID maps I make (basically assault course type maps which take a few hours before anyone can reach the end of them.) then perhaps one or two other groups for a few other other things and a non-grouped maps sections for any maps you haven't put into groups (yet).

SuperSkyline89
06-21-2011, 12:06 AM
I think they should destroy this idiotic customizable Firefight and make proper maps this time. I loved Firefight in ODST, Endure is still my proudest achievement.

I was going to do the Reach Firefight achievements legit but the more games of Firefight I played the less fun I had. Just knowing that I could go and make it impossible to die killed every ounce of fun for me. In the end I didn't bother doing them legit because I couldn't stand Firefight anymore.

Maps are another reason I ended up hating it. The ODST maps were from campaign too but I enjoyed them. The ones in Reach just sucked. I think it was down to the structure of the maps themselves, the ODST ones felt good but the ones in Reach just feel, well like shit frankly.

DarkReign2021
06-21-2011, 03:15 AM
I think they should destroy this idiotic customizable Firefight and make proper maps this time. I loved Firefight in ODST, Endure is still my proudest achievement.

I was going to do the Reach Firefight achievements legit but the more games of Firefight I played the less fun I had. Just knowing that I could go and make it impossible to die killed every ounce of fun for me. In the end I didn't bother doing them legit because I couldn't stand Firefight anymore.

Maps are another reason I ended up hating it. The ODST maps were from campaign too but I enjoyed them. The ones in Reach just sucked. I think it was down to the structure of the maps themselves, the ODST ones felt good but the ones in Reach just feel, well like shit frankly.

Agreed 100%. Especially on Firefight. People swear up and down that FF is superior in Reach, but really once you strip it of Matchmaking support and a few of the customizable features, the base default of FF in Reach is quite garbage. Nothing is quite as disappointing as having the enemies segregated in each wave. This took all of the fun out of it. Where's the challenge if you know what wave is next and how to prepare for it? In ODST you never knew when they would throw you a curveball. Sometimes they sent 4 hunters and other times they would drop two wraiths. You could have a dozen jetpack and stealth brutes or you might get a couple of enemy choppers and drones. It was mixed and it kept you guessing. You never knew what to expect around the next corner (There's also the issue of there nto being nearly enough vehicular support in Reach's FF. ODST had levels with multiple ghosts, choppers, and wraith tanks all gunning for, yet in Reach you're lucky to see a single Wraith tank even deployed in a round. This kills it in a series that was founded on vehicular combat.

The custom options for FF were fine because you had the option to customize a match. If you didn't like facing certain enemies or you only wanted to play with a certain couple of weapons, than that was fine. I thought being invincible was pointless as was having bottomless clips and unlimited ammo. No skill required and it's not like you're gaining anything. If you want to go slaughter things mindlessly, just go play GTA. I really hope they fix these areas in H4's FF if it has that feature (which I'm sure it will.)

As for the maps, I've already talked about those. They definitely better make some original maps for the next MP service. Reach was just lazy. Fortunately the developers that made the H1 and H2 maps are currently working on the CEmake maps and there's a good chance they're working on the H4 maps as well.

fax5jrj
06-21-2011, 03:45 AM
-Too many power weapons on almost every map. It seems like every map must have a sniper, shotgun, sword, rockets, and grenade launcher.

OK, I added this, (and the other ones) but you would be surprised how clueless a basic Halo player is to how to use a Grenade launcher. You have to estimate where it's going to explode, and most of the dumb shitheads who play this game don't have enough time for that. Plus, I hope they get rid of the Grenade Launcher. It was totally useless.

Although, imagine how many CODnerds got it for the grenade launcher and found out you didn't just have to point it at someone. :O

Bungie has just shat on you, son.

SuperSkyline89
06-21-2011, 07:05 PM
I like the Grenade Launcher. The first time I used it in campaign I hated it because I couldn't kill anything with it but after playing some Boomball I'm actually pretty good with it.

I played a game of Boomball where the rest of my team quit and I actually managed to get a triple kill all alone. Granted I got raped overall but I love using the Launcher now.

It's useless to those that don't try to master it but once you do it's the most fun weapon in the game in my opinion. I went from hating it to loving it after only one game of Boomball.

fax5jrj
06-22-2011, 03:41 AM
I like the Grenade Launcher. The first time I used it in campaign I hated it because I couldn't kill anything with it but after playing some Boomball I'm actually pretty good with it.

I played a game of Boomball where the rest of my team quit and I actually managed to get a triple kill all alone. Granted I got raped overall but I love using the Launcher now.

It's useless to those that don't try to master it but once you do it's the most fun weapon in the game in my opinion. I went from hating it to loving it after only one game of Boomball.

I agree, it's fun to master it (yes I have), but that doesn't deny how useless it is to the overall game. And frankly, I thought Halo was better without many of the additions that came with Reach.

For armor abilities, I think that the only ones that I think are acceptable to keep are sprint, evade, and jet pack. I mean, every thing else was a power-up in Halo 3, so I think that's all they need. And I'm not saying no to loadouts, just no to most armor abilities.

Demonhunter21
06-25-2011, 01:20 AM
at above post or two;
I personally love the Grenade launcher, its such a fun weapon to use online, especially when the enemy run at in a group and you get an easy multikill, my party always know to leave the GL for me to take when playing online.
although in the campaign it is such a pile of crap, barely able to kill a grunt most the time and on legendary its juts pointless.
I just think it needs slightly more overall balancing if its to become a regular edition in the Halo Franchise.
when its in the right hands its almost as powerful as a rocket launcher, if its with someone who can't use it, they'll die without doing much damage with it. Its probably one of the most skillful weapons in reach depending on how you look at it.

armour abilities I think its fine for spartans to start with sprint and Elites start with evade but all other should be pick ups on the map and no more than 2 per map, I find Jet-pack completely eliminates the point in map traversal and on maps like reflection can unbalance game-play I find.
although its fun to use Jet-packs for HLGing occasionally I still would rather its an on map pickup

DarkReign2021
06-25-2011, 02:50 AM
I love the Grenade Launcher for seemingly the one reason nobody else seems to have mentioned. I love it for the EMP effect. It's great for disabling wraiths to approach from behind without fear of the turret. Also great for bringing down a banshee to jack as well, which is always a huge advantage in the Campaign. Than to top it off almost nobody actually uses the Grenade Launcher, so it's the one weapon I can almost always depend on being there when I spawn nearby (Especially in Highlands. Always find a use for it in that level.)

Shaved Baby
07-02-2011, 04:18 AM
I think the multiplayer ranking for Halo needs a serious facelift. I wasn't particularly a fan of the Halo 3 ranking system. Luckily, I kind of liked the Reach ranking system. But Halo 4's mulitplayer ranks should be changed to something similar to COD.

fax5jrj
07-02-2011, 05:13 AM
I think the multiplayer ranking for Halo needs a serious facelift. I wasn't particularly a fan of the Halo 3 ranking system. Luckily, I kind of liked the Reach ranking system. But Halo 4's mulitplayer ranks should be changed to something similar to COD.

Uhmmm, how do I put this nicely...? Making Halo more like COD would be the stupidest decision any company has ever made. So... no I won't include that in my improvements.

Halo needs to change back to something similar to Halo 3, but make it easier to rank up, and make it rewarding like in Halo: Reach. Also, they should make achievements unlock armor too.

DarkReign2021
07-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Any game that gives players any advantage over the others is completely unfair and idiotic. If a player gets into a game 6 months late and everybody has already received all of the online bonuses, that just screws over the little guy. All features need to be made available from the beginning. Class systems is the best way to utilize this and I think Halo: Reach was on the right path with this concept by mixing up playlists with various loadouts in weaponry and equipment (though I think it was lacking in some diversity on Matchmaking. I think we should've been able to mix up weapons and armor a bit more often (like I would love a DMR/NR spawn with Active Camo instead of just sprint all the time.)

I think the best ranking system would be a combination of Halo 2 and Halo: Reach. The credit system is an excellent concept for continuity in the playing of the game, but I think the prices are far too staggered, the ranking takes way too long, and you get far too few credits for a lot of your accomplishments. Rank up needs to be less tedious and objects need to cost less so that getting content is realistically possible.

At the same time, they need to make the skill-based ranking system visible again. It is present in Halo: Reach, but it's hidden from view. That took a lot of the competitive edge from Reach and allowed a lot of people to only care about their rank, which led to idling and cheap tricks for getting cR. By having both systems visible, players can pick and choose which they prefer or even maintain both.

darkboy
07-05-2011, 10:30 PM
remove the special armour abilities that they used on reach !! that sucks and also a reason why i didn't bought reach. was a die hard halo 3 gamer with played more then 3000 games online and more then 2500 games custom games.

just use the ranking of halo 3 because it was awesome this seperate the noobs from the good player. so they can easier make fair parties.

reach forge defenitely!! and the armour customisation too it was sweet to fully personate your guy.

the 3 or 5 best maps from every halo game as a DLC (almost same as the beginposter said only all maps will be too much).

fax5jrj
07-06-2011, 12:48 AM
remove the special armour abilities that they used on reach !! that sucks and also a reason why i didn't bought reach. was a die hard halo 3 gamer with played more then 3000 games online and more then 2500 games custom games.

just use the ranking of halo 3 because it was awesome this seperate the noobs from the good player. so they can easier make fair parties.

reach forge defenitely!! and the armour customisation too it was sweet to fully personate your guy.

the 3 or 5 best maps from every halo game as a DLC (almost same as the beginposter said only all maps will be too much).

Armor Abilities were a good idea, but they took them too far by replaces certain power-ups in Halo 3 with them. By the way, if you didn't buy Reach solely on the fact that there was armor abilities, you must be fucking retarded.

SuperSkyline89
07-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Armor Abilities were a good idea, but they took them too far by replaces certain power-ups in Halo 3 with them. By the way, if you didn't buy Reach solely on the fact that there was armor abilities, you must be fucking retarded.

That's a bit harsh.

The multiplayer is no better than Halo 3 (or worse as many people say) and the storyline is nothing to die for. If you're really only into the multiplayer there's really no point in buying Reach since Halo 3 is still very active.

darkboy
07-06-2011, 11:18 PM
That's a bit harsh.

The multiplayer is no better than Halo 3 (or worse as many people say) and the storyline is nothing to die for. If you're really only into the multiplayer there's really no point in buying Reach since Halo 3 is still very active.

exactly, and if i bought halo reach it was only for custom games and forge

RBmaster9345
07-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm not as pissed about the armor abilities as most people seem to be but I did prefer the H3 style equipment. It was another item on the map to be able to use and I liked the 1 time use.

wright3034
12-14-2011, 07:49 AM
1. Battle Rifle < DMR - Obviously the cannon for the game would say that battle rifle should be in the game.

2. Bring back TrueSkill 1 through 50, and to anyone who says that they don't like it, don't play it! Go play social. A competitive 1 - 50 system should be available to anyone who wants to play it.

MixMaker1
12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
I loved Halo 3's equipment, as it geared more towards enchancing the triangle: Guns, Melee, Grenades and map control.

With Reach, the triangle was broken for the first time and it didn't emphasize map control - as much.

I like the armor abilities but there should be some concessions when you use each one. Halo was a LOT better when you had to pick up power ups imo. Made it more strategic. The bad part about it is, a veteran team almost always destroyed the other team. In Reach, it gives the losing team a fighting chance much more often.

QUITTING is something they need to address, though.

LickableLemons7
12-19-2011, 12:26 AM
QUITTING is something they need to address, though.

More so than being suspended from matchmaking? ELABORATE!:uzi:

Abusive
12-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Bring back all aspects of halo 2 that everyone liked. Dub shot, bxr, same br as h2, etc..

I mak3 big boom
12-19-2011, 03:30 AM
[QUOTE=Shaved Baby;4333741]I think the multiplayer ranking for Halo needs a serious facelift. I wasn't particularly a fan of the Halo 3 ranking system. Luckily, I kind of liked the Reach ranking system. But Halo 4's mulitplayer ranks should be changed to something similar to COD. This

Increase the damage by 25% for all the automatic weapons. Everyone dies too slowly in reach and they should go back to the amount of health you had in 2 or 3.

MixMaker1
12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Agree'd.

Reach SLOWED down the MP. H2 was the fastest, H3 was in between, but still much faster than Reach.

Vectorman953
12-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Sorry guys, a little late to the party.

I think that the armor abilities weren't that bad, but I also wouldn't really like them to return.
I do think that Halo: Reach had/has the health system just right though. If you were stupid, you're still going to get gunned down in seconds... It just feels a bit better than getting owned by practically any weapon like CoD.

I really like DarkReign's idea of the mappacks (especially if they -somehow- had the pick and choose idea for specific maps). Sure, putting down another $60 blows, but not seeing the same goddamned map over and over, and the horrendous amounts of reimagined nostalgia (headlong->breakneck or zanzibar -> last resort, not hemorage->valhalla).
Does anyone else miss relic?
Maybe an actual nod to the fans could be the system detecting you have achievements in the old games, or have bought old map packs, and gives you a slight discount (maybe not, but at least I tried)

I think the ranking system is really good, since buying armor is a good incentive, but the prices are too goddamned high (http://blog.rentaluniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Rent1.jpg)
I would still like to be paired with people that are MY skill level though. Getting destroyed by a team of people no better than me because I'm stuck with afk-ers and babies-first-FPS kids makes me want to put the game down (a la old yeller)

I R BFOG
12-31-2011, 02:57 AM
I would really like to never see Jackals again... ever. Seriously had enough of them.

The main thing I want is for them to keep multiplayer balancing out of campaign. Reach just feels so nerfed, with almost every weapon having bloom and if you let the dmr completely run out when it reloads it completely covers the screen, fuel rod bounces off the fn floor etc. I just want a slight return to feeling like you are actually controlling a 7 foot tall weapon rather than a frightened, scared boy with a pea-shooter for a gun. I've just gone back and played ODST with a friend and you feel dangerous even playing as a helljumper but as a spartan in Reach I just feel weak.

Halo 2 had awesome weapons and intelligent, merciless enemies and was 10x more difficult than Reach. If I'm to feel like I'm overwhelmed by smart enemies I want to do it with the CE pistol in my hand or the BR or the carbine rifle not some piece of crap single-shot dmr that gets more inaccurate the quicker I fire!

I'm on the fence with armour abilities. I think having sprint as a standard ability than needs to cool down etc would be pretty neat but would mean a lot of battles could be skipped - not great for the longevity of the game. Would definitely miss jetpack and hologram is immensely fun in firefight. To me, armour lock doesnt feel right in a halo game.

Oh and Halo 4 HAS to have firefight! But games that take longer than 20 minutes. I did all the ODST firefight 200k point cheevos solo (even got an unfriggenbelievable ;) ) and was hugely fun. If Reach had a similar setup where you could earn credits, I would be soooo happy lol

Oh and if they have a credit based armoury system in Halo 4 that takes 20million credits to the top rank (heres hoping they dont lol), why not actually have 20million credits worth of stuff to buy rather than 9.7 million or whatever. Its like they left it open for more armoury items but then decided it was too much effort. I've just hit eclipse and will soon own everything in there, I think I will then run out of incentive to play.

Don't get me wrong I love Reach and especially its firefight, just playing all the other halos recently have made me want a return to the roots :)

ajennice
01-11-2012, 05:35 AM
I would like to see more of a FUTURE take. Let's look at waeponry -Most are all weapons around today. 4shot sniper (c'mon... should be a rail gun or at least hold more than 4 shots), DMR - basic swat/military grade semi-auto, pistol (love it, but it's dated out to the 80's), auto rife, 3 clips to kill fodder.... Get rid of the lead and gunpowder and add the future into these. pulse beams, more covi style weapons, even melee if needed. WOULD LOVE TO SEE AN ALIEN ROCKET LAUNCHER

I am actually curious to see what they do as far as weaponry usage/availability. In the trailer, it seems like MC is going into a "heart" of something. I want to see how many earth style weapons are just 'laying around" If the game starts fromteh ship, he can use standard UNSC stuff, once he's off, there should be no human style weapons, aids...etc.

I liked REACH's ability to get off foot and pilot a Sabre.. good take. would like to see a view other than through a visor a time or 2.

None the less, it will be a good game and worth the wait.....

MixMaker1
01-11-2012, 05:43 PM
I think Halo 4 will be very exploratory. I think there will be a good chunk of the game where we may not even use a weapon. We'll see.

That being said, Forerunner weapons will most likely make an appearance. Should be fun to use!

DEG23
01-16-2012, 04:50 AM
I know this detracts from what most of the discussion has been about but seeing how i have always loved the halo series for the SP i would love a great story, something along the lines of Halo: CE.

All the Halo's have had good stories but with Reach i felt very disconnected form the characters in Noble team and even Reach herself (i hadn't read any of the novels/extended fiction before playing Reach so my knowledge was limited)

I also miss the big open battles like Assault on the Control Room, The Storm in Halo 3 and Tip of the Spear in Reach. These levels actually made you feel like you were part of something bigger, not the COD lone wolf.

A Dubb
01-16-2012, 06:14 AM
bring back the BR, and bring back the ranking system of halo 2 and 3

LickableLemons7
01-17-2012, 12:29 AM
That being said, Forerunner weapons will most likely make an appearance. Should be fun to use!

Halo 4 News - Upcoming Material! Toy Fair at London on Jan 24-26 - FT. Chris - YouTube

This dude says there's going to be a toy fair in London later this month, potentially revealing figures for Halo 4, such as more character and vehicle models. Perhaps there'll be some new weapons to show off along with the characters too...

DxxxRules
01-17-2012, 02:15 AM

I agree with that... And also other unlocks besides just appearance/armor

Kyle the Rookie
01-17-2012, 04:31 AM
I gotta agree that armour abilities should be taken out again as it sorta took away a bit from the fun of halo 3, also hoping for larger maps and more players for big team battle but doubt this will happen

CMCX360
01-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Get. Rid. Of. Armor. Abilities.

That's it. Do that, and this game will be GOTY.

fax5jrj
01-21-2012, 06:44 AM
To all the people saying that it should be like COD, I'm starting to think you're right... to an extent. There should be two separate categories, Social and Ranked. The Social should be customizable in way that's not too overpowered but allows freedom at the same time. Like being able to pick between a DMR, a BR, an Assault Rifle, and maybe a plasma repeater/rifle as a primary, and for a secondary being able to pick between magnums, submachine guns and a plasma pistol. Then just put the rest on the map like they normally are. For ranked it should be normal. Kind of like Classic mode from COD4.

DarkReign2021
01-21-2012, 06:31 PM
If Halo has to try and imitate any other game, I think it should aspire to be like Battlefield 3. The class customization is rewarding, but rarely overwhelmingly unbalanced. The enormous vehicle-driven map are a natural fit for a game like Halo. The ability to have both a team and a squad makes for more specialized tactics as well as the larger player count in multiplayer being long overdue for the Halo series.

fax5jrj
01-22-2012, 04:40 AM
If Halo has to try and imitate any other game, I think it should aspire to be like Battlefield 3. The class customization is rewarding, butt rarely overwhelmingly unbalanced. The enormous vehicle-driven map are a natural fit for a game like Halo. The ability to have both a team and a squad makes for more specialized tactics as well as the larger player count in multiplayer being long overdue for the Halo series.

It can be unbalanced at times, especially when you start out. The RPK is shit in comparison to the M27. But I see what you're getting at. I don't think squadbased games could really Halo's online if you ask me, unless they increase the Max players in a game, which they should do, since, correct me if I'm wrong, it's been the same since Halo 2. They should have more Forge World sized maps and have a specific playlist that's 24 players. That would be really fun, and I guess they could incorporate squad-based gameply.

They should also maybe try and make it jump in/jump out, since lag gets really annoying when someone leaves the match. They should still penalize for quitting, since the system shouldn't be necessary, just a fallback just in case someone does leave.

Thoughts?

Burnout x360a
01-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Get rid of the armour abilities/upgrades aside from maybe sprint.

Would have liked Reach more if they didn't have those.

Kazuma Prime
01-24-2012, 11:23 PM
1. Bring back the basic multiplayer gameplay aspects from Halo 3 (equipment, weapons, vehicles), perhaps add to them.

2. Either Halo 3 system returning, a system similiar to Reach's, or somehow a combination of the two.

3. Social and Ranked playlists

4. NO MAPS BASED ON CAMPAIGN LEVELS

5. Spartan armor customization ala Reach, albeit armor is unlocked through campaign completion, achievements, and perhaps something along the lines of overall playtime. NO CREDITS

I didn't list Theater, Forge, or Firefight because of the fact that they've been generic in Halo 3 and Reach, so NOT to implement them in 4 would be a HUGE foolhardy mistake. Also although I didn't list them, CERTAIN AA's would be acceptable. Sprint was a MUCH desired part of the Halo universe that would have been good to have had all along. Evade was also a nice one but those are about it. Camo should rejoin Overshield as in-field powerups, perhaps implement a new powerup.

Basically put, since Halo 4 is picking up after Halo 3, the overall multiplayer experience should be based on the previous game timeline wise and add to it. A small tweak to what was an awesome gameplay experience is better than having huge drastic changes that might bring in new blood but alienate veteran gamers that were playing since 2001 and were perfectly fine with the way it was. 343, bring us back the MP from Halo 3. We've seen what you can do for a 10 year old game, do the same to the multiplayer of 2007.

CIF
01-27-2012, 04:13 AM
The 360 being the first system I've ever had (save crappy PC), I only have moderate campaign experience with the first two. Reach's multiplayer was great for the most part, it just feels slower because a) movement speed is decreased due to Sprint b) you don't die as fast (which is a good thing). What I want to see:

Campaign:
-- An entirely new set of enemies. Canon-wise, we have eradicated the Flood (hopefully), and forged a temporary (although possibly uneasy) alliance with Elites, such that the Covenant aren't a really significant threat. None of that matters much though, because the game should focus on Master Chief, Cortana, and whatever new characters we encounter.

-- Reach didn't have any characters I felt any connection or attachment to, and never had any sort of "epic" feeling (ODST didn't either, but the characters were fairly interesting). We went from huge battles between the Covenant and UNSC, then racing to escape a Halo structure as it fell apart and vaporized us to.....fighting increasingly hard waves of enemies to deliver Cortana? Meh.

Multiplayer:
-- Comparing Halo 3 and Reach, Reach feels more balanced, or at least with regards to health. Going back to Halo 3 almost feels like COD in comparison, because you die so much quicker. The health packs are the major factor - if you just barely survived an encounter, you had to go searching for a health pack. You can die quickly when you run into several enemies at once, but it's not so fast that you can't do anything.

-- Weapons felt just fine in Reach, and dual-wielding needs to remain absent - if someone wants to execute the "noob combo", they have to be carrying a plasma pistol and have to switch to it. The DMR is more difficult to use than the BR, and it should stay.

-- I am fine with armor abilities staying or leaving, as long as they remain available to everyone. They could take the current abilities as is and make them equipment instead. as long as nothing's overpowered (e.g. Active Camo still has the radar jammer effect letting you know someone's around).

-- How about an option to join games in progress? Better yet, a filter with every current gametype, so I can only join games that I won't want to quit out of immediately? There will still be a penalty for quitting (it needs to harsher than just a step towards probation and then temp. ban), but my team can get some other dude who likes crap gametypes like Hockey or Elite Slayer if I decide I really want to leave.

-- Take a page from Battlefield and give people more incentive to play the objective. As far as I can remember there's no credits for capturing an objective in Invasion, and a player gets more credits + medals for spawn camping in Grifball than scoring. There will be always be those players, but reward people more for actually playing the game when in a non-Slayer gametype.

I seriously wonder if the hatred of armor abilities here comes from getting owned by people with armor lock.

Vectorman953
01-30-2012, 04:53 PM
I think it would be ridiculously epic if there was an exploritory element of the game, but moreso if you were able to kill one of the gruntlike/cannon fodder enemy with a rock attached to a stick.
This would very likely not be the case given for how gruesome it could easily be.

If there was one or two beginning missions where the master chief acts like Rambo, I would like it. Vauge amounts of stealth, or the ability to go guns/rocks blazing - during a portion that whatever the enemy threat is doesn't realize you're there.