PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Update Problem

S4L C1RCA S4L
06-15-2011, 10:38 PM
When I start games up i have to download updates for games that I already have got them for. It even happens for games that do not have any new updates for them. Is there a way to fix this?

Elit3 m0nkey
06-15-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't understand exactly what you are saying, but I will tell the 2 most common solution or issue.

Solution 1: Sometimes games will update every time you start up the game, even if you downloaded the update earlier that day. This can be fixed by clearing the cache. Go to System Settings --> Memory --> Move over to your HDD and press Y for device options --> Scroll down to Clear Cache and press A --> Press A again to confirm. That will delete the updates stored on the HDD and should fix the problem.

Or

This isn't really a solution but some knowledge. Unlike a PC or PS3, updates for games aren't stored in the same place as saves/DLC/install/XBLA games on your HDD. Instead there is a partition set aside (that you can't view) for game updates. Now it small, hence the small updates, so after updates for a few games, it will run out of space. When this happens it will delete the oldest update to make room for the new one. Some games get past this (Black Ops) by installing bigger updates (Black Ops last one was about 13 MB) on to the viewable portion of the HDD, and will only be deleted if you manually delete it, or a new update replaces it.

Hope this helps.

PS: Welcome to the site!:drunk

BluWolve
06-16-2011, 12:04 AM
i have had the same problem since i cleared my cache and deleted something from HDD, if i remember it correctly it was called "marketplace content data" (maybe?) by advice of MS support because of another problem i was having.

they told me the "marketplace content data" (or whatever) was for updates to the marketplace, and would come back on my harddrive as soon as i purchased something from the marketplace. it didnt of course, but when i put in a game it told me it needed an update, even though there was no new ones out.

after this i checked my HDD and the "marketplace content data" (look you get im not sure its called this but it is similar) was back, but the size was significantly smaller. i only put 2 and 2 together since every game i have tried to play since has needed an update. look i could be wrong but it seems like a strange coincidence if i am.

Worhammer
06-16-2011, 02:58 AM
i have had the same problem since i cleared my cache and deleted something from HDD, if i remember it correctly it was called "marketplace content data" (maybe?) by advice of MS support because of another problem i was having. they told me the "marketplace content data" (or whatever) was for updates to the marketplace, and would come back on my harddrive as soon as i purchased something from the marketplace. it didnt of course, but when i put in a game it told me it needed an update, even though there was no new ones out. after this i checked my HDD and the "marketplace content data" (look you get im not sure its called this but it is similar) was back, but the size was significantly smaller. i only put 2 and 2 together since every game i have tried to play since has needed an update. look i could be wrong but it seems like a strange coincidence if i am.
When you put in a game, if there are any updates (no matter how old / new) it downloads and stores them in the cache. Your cache only stores 5 games or so. If you then put in another game, it bumps out one of those 5. So games you don't play for awhile when you replay, must be re-updated.

Clearing your cache will dump all 5 of these games, and from that point on every game you play will be updated (assuming there is an update).