PDA

View Full Version : Who else hates EA?

CatachanKid
06-16-2011, 04:51 AM
Im really beginning to detest their way of monopolizing games with their "Online Pass" system. You must buy the game new (or be the first to rent it from a store) or you must pay 800MPs for content that would normally be in the game anyways. Which most people (including myself) cannot always afford new games all the time.

The "Online Pass" restricts those who do not have it from accessing online content including multiplayer and usually a good chunk of the achievements. This system and EA in general (from buying out developers and giving mostly minimum budgets to them) have been making games that would be amazing into pieces of garbage.

Take the New Alice: Madness Returns, it originally was suppose to come with a free code for an XBLA version of American McGee's Alice but EA changed this to be Incorporated into the game disc through the "Online Pass," and dedicated 6 achievements equaling 100:gsicon: to the original game.

I mean we already pay for XBL why do we need to pay an extra $10 per game to EA just to play multiplayer through "their" servers?

Zesty
06-16-2011, 05:26 AM
*hand up*

With the XBLA version of American McGee's Alice and EA making it accessible through an online pass... what do you expect. EA doesn't make money that way. EA giving stuff away for (technically) free? Not in a million year$.

CatachanKid
06-16-2011, 05:35 AM
Granted Ive never really been a fan of any EA titles but still its very annoying

Minty
06-16-2011, 05:35 AM
I like the online pass system. If you buy a brand new car, you expect everything to work on it perfectly. You buy a 2nd hand one, yes its cheaper, but you also know it's not going to work as well as the brand new one. You have to weigh that in when you look at the cost.

Exactly the same with this. Not everyone pays $10. It's only if you don't buy the game new. Why don't you moan at GameStop for them not lowering the price of the games to cover the extra money? EA is a business, and they don't make a penny from 2nd hand games. They could slap a license on that would make it impossible for palces like Gamefly to rent out games if they really wanted to.

Chaosx721
06-16-2011, 05:39 AM
You do know that if you buy a sealed copy of the game at anytime you'll get that pass in the box right? You don't have to get it as soon as the game comes out in order to get the pass. You can buy the game a year from now for like 20$ and still get the pass.

With that said, EA is a business and they don't make any money from used game sales. So they need a way to make some money off their games that are being sold used.

Ham Woopan
06-16-2011, 05:42 AM
I don't have a problem with the online pass as I buy all of my games new. I'll only buy used games if the game has reached a certain age and no more new games are being made.

I've also never had any problem with EA. If anything I respected them more after they released Dead Space.

CatachanKid
06-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I guess I just dont understand fully EAs action towards this seeing as I mostly roll with Bethesda and Ubisoft games.

Minty
06-16-2011, 06:05 AM
The issue isn't which companies you roll with, it's because you don't like buying your games new ;)

Buy new games, no issues :p

Chaosx721
06-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I guess I just dont understand fully EAs action towards this seeing as I mostly roll with Bethesda and Ubisoft games.
But we've already explained why EA does this. They need a way to combat used game sales, in order to do that they have a small fee to play online. Its not the best plan, but its about all they can do for now.

Zesty
06-16-2011, 06:08 AM
The issue isn't which companies you roll with, it's because you don't like buying your games new ;)

Not everybody can afford to buy new games. Especially here in Australia.

CatachanKid
06-16-2011, 06:16 AM

I buy all my Bethesda and UbiSoft games new, with Collector's Editions for Elder Scrolls III and IV. Seeing as Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire and Red Guard didn't have them. :uzi:

CatachanKid
06-16-2011, 06:17 AM
Yea England pays double what the US does while it can be up to 4x for you depending on rating.

Worhammer
06-16-2011, 06:26 AM
I like the online pass system. If you buy a brand new car, you expect everything to work on it perfectly. You buy a 2nd hand one, yes its cheaper, but you also know it's not going to work as well as the brand new one. You have to weigh that in when you look at the cost.

Exactly the same with this. Not everyone pays $10. It's only if you don't buy the game new. Why don't you moan at GameStop for them not lowering the price of the games to cover the extra money? EA is a business, and they don't make a penny from 2nd hand games. They could slap a license on that would make it impossible for palces like Gamefly to rent out games if they really wanted to.

QFT.

I buy all my Bethesda and UbiSoft games new, with Collector's Editions for Elder Scrolls III and IV. Seeing as Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire and Red Guard didn't have them. :uzi:
Pretty sure that none of those games you have mentioned have multiplayer in any case, so an online pass would serve no function....point is moot.

Look at it this way. You buy the game new, you pay $60. You wait 6, 8 months to buy the game, get it from GameStop (or wherever, doesn't matter) and pay $40 (VERY generous estimate. Most likely it's closer to $20 or $30). Add on to that the $10 online pass. You now paid $50. You still paid $10 less (or more) than I did for the same functionality.

I fail to see why you're whining here.

DENAz666
06-16-2011, 08:01 AM

My thoughts exactly :)

The annoying part comes with the 7day return policy that some stores have. Some people will return the game within the 7days (when they've used the online pass) and it will still get put back on the shelf as a new game. Of course that isn't EA's fault but the place selling the games

Burnout x360a
06-16-2011, 08:09 AM
The only EA games I buy, i will always buy new because I enjoy them. Battlefield and FIFA for example.

Mister Spraggsy
06-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Im not a huge fan of the Online Pass system but i can see why they do it. The best exapmle of why they do it is basicly what Minty said, but EA are not the only company to do it.

THQ have done it with Smackdown VS RAW 2011, not sure about any other THQ games. I guess Saints Row 3 will have a pass for some extra crazy content.
I think given a few more years a lot of the top game companys will be doing it.

If im going to buy a game and know im going to play it online i will always buy it brand new anyway.

Veedrock
06-16-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't have a problem with Online Pass.

Which most people (including myself) cannot always afford new games all the time.

I don't understand these arguments, so you're going to have to explain this to me: why does this mean that developers/publishers should cater to your needs?

Take the New Alice: Madness Returns, it originally was suppose to come with a free code for an XBLA version of American McGee's Alice

This is false, they never specified in what fashion it would be included; people only ASSUMED it would be an XBLA title. Actually a lot of PS3 owners thought it would be on disc in some way, while Xbox owners figured it would be a voucher.

I mean we already pay for XBL

Completely irrelevant. That money goes directly to Microsoft. They don't distribute any of that to developers to have them provide us with online play, so they're under no obligation (to us or to Microsoft) to provide online play to everyone without restriction.

Ozbaab
06-16-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't have a problem with the online pass as I buy all of my games new. I'll only buy used games if the game has reached a certain age and no more new games are being made.

This.

I only buy used games if I want it only for the achievements (Lost)

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
06-16-2011, 10:07 AM
they need to sort out the pass system for rental games. last i checked companies dont lose out when they have their games rented

it is also kind of sad that people are defending the pass. games these days are getting more and more charges placed onto them to get the full experience with online passes, dlc, to actually play online. It will get worse and worse in the future no doubt. No one else miss the days where you could just buy a game and everythig was there ready to go?

hydrosugar
06-16-2011, 10:29 AM
i dont mind the online pass system at all, even if i buy the game a fair while after release i usually still do so new, a la me buying tiger 11 sometime in march this year.
plus i see the logic behind it i think its a perfectly acceptable move. there not charging in addition to your newly purchased game.

what i do hate them for is putting online achievements into their games. what's worse is they let quitters interfere with achievements(see ton up fifa 10), and even disconnect the servers, leaving a game impossible to complete regardless of skill or effort.

Dav13s
06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
they need to sort out the pass system for rental games. last i checked companies dont lose out when they have their games rented

it is also kind of sad that people are defending the pass. games these days are getting more and more charges placed onto them to get the full experience with online passes, dlc, to actually play online. It will get worse and worse in the future no doubt. No one else miss the days where you could just buy a game and everythig was there ready to go?

Yes, yes I do. And most games worked properly without the need for patches (obviously not really do-able on a MegaDrive or whatever.) Fuck passes, next it'll be monthly subscriptions for every game. That's not even a joke, I can see it happening.

PurpleSkwid
06-16-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't particularly like EA, but not because of the online passes, haven't really come across them much.

I just don't like them because they have a bad habit of breaking games and not bothering to fix them.

(Mainly The Sims, which I've played since it first came out. Many, many gamebreaking glitches that EA can't be bothered fixing, but I won't get into that now...)

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
06-16-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't particularly like EA, but not because of the online passes, haven't really come across them much.

I just don't like them because they have a bad habit of breaking games and not bothering to fix them.

(Mainly The Sims, which I've played since it first came out. Many, many gamebreaking glitches that EA can't be bothered fixing, but I won't get into that now...)

I was a volunteer moderator on their command and conquer forum and its sad when you hear the community manager telling you stuff they do not want the rest of the community to know. But the guy left ea to work somewhere else and the team who did command and conquer pretty much got reduced from a few hundred to less than 20. now its a new company working on them

thats what i hate about ea

Sure they are a business and are trying to make profit. but as a gamer couldnt care less about their company.

Dav13s
06-16-2011, 10:55 AM
I was a volunteer moderator on their command and conquer forum and its sad when you hear the community manager telling you stuff they do not want the rest of the community to know. But the guy left ea to work somewhere else and the team who did command and conquer pretty much got reduced from a few hundred to less than 20. now its a new company working on them

thats what i hate about ea

Sure they are a business and are trying to make profit. but as a gamer couldnt care less about their company.

They know they can make all the money they need from the sports titles basically, so any effort goes into those moreso than other titles. Respected them a little bit for Dead Space, did not see them releasing a game of that kind (or calibre) at all, but this Online Passes bollocks is fucked up. I'm pretty sure they make enough money as it is, they're just squeezing people for any money they think they can get away with.

Wortsenawl
06-16-2011, 11:03 AM
I think online passes are perfectly fine as they are given free with a newly purchased game. I don't like that certain games (Dead Space 2) have a crappy MP element added just so you can then charge for an online pass for a game that is essentially single player (and should remain that way). Put that time and effort spent creating the MP part into bettering the single player element.

I also think with online passes that 2nd hand games prices need to come down. I bought DS2 brand new because to buy a 2nd hand copy + plus online pass worked out the same. Ironically, I have never used the pass and doubt I ever will.

I think MS provide a grear service for live and it is worth yearly subscription and as someone else said, this money does not go to developers so they need to figure ways to financially exploit it.

As for (paid) DLC, this a relatively new area and developers, publishers, etc. are just testing boundaries. Therefore some items will be overpriced and others better value, but in the end they will figure out what consumers are willing to put up with and be forced to work within that.

edit: oh and the news around sales declining is important as this will mean they have to look at making their offering more attractive. The danger is the big players will survive and we may be at their mercy for some time. So if you don't like what they are offering, don't buy it.

Zesty
06-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I don't understand these arguments, so you're going to have to explain this to me: why does this mean that developers/publishers should cater to your needs?

Well they are making the game for "us" right? The customer? We are the ones forking out the money. We are the ones who play them. We are the REAL CRITICS.

Couldn't of said it better mate :D

Wortsenawl
06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
As I said, these companies test the boundaries to see what the consumer will put up with. Demand of a product is what determines the price. You can't blame them for charging for an item we continually pay for.

And to say... well I wanna play FIFA 'cause it is better than the rest is exactly why you end up paying for it.

It's like anything. You could buy a fiat bravo for half the price of a 1 series BMW, but you recognise that while they are both essentially the same, you pay a premium for the one you believe to be better.

In the case of games, you pay more to companies like EA because you get what you percieve to be a quality product. If you don't like the pass then go play Pro Evo instead. (Using football games as an example).

MakoBallistic
06-16-2011, 11:45 AM
I couldnt possiby ever hate EA, they have given me far too many hours of joy for me to hate them.

E.g.
Burnout, Dead Space, Command & Conquer, Skate, Battlefield, NFS.... the list goes on.

I also dont see how you not having enough money for games is their fault, there are plenty of people that can afford them. If games are really that overpriced in Australia then i suggest you import, or if you really want to go mental, emigrate.

What is pissing me off about EA, is that they havent released another Burnout yet! They pump out a new NFS every year, where is the king of arcade racers???

Hudson888
06-16-2011, 11:52 AM

So you would be happy if you bought your second hand car, and then went to drive it on the motorway/freeway, and the police stopped you and said, "sorry this isnt a new car so you dont have a pass, you must pay for a pass to this road, which is 1/4 the price of your car".

I really dont like what is going on with the online passes. But games companies are losing a lot of money by people trading in games and buying 2nd hand ones, where all the money goes to the shop.

SR x FUZiON
06-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Lol I got a free online pass as Fifa 11 was my brothers so he used the online pass. I sent them an email saying my code wouldn't work and keep coming up as invalid. They asked me for a picture of the back of the game manual showing the code and a picture of the receipt. I didn't have a receipt so i sent them just a picture of the code and they sent me another one. I assume they didn't even check the code to say its already been used.

Obviously I only did this as the online pass is a joke. You spend money buying the game and spend even more money on xbox live membership and they still want you to pay more money for games that you just loose connection on ( Fifa 11 EA servers ).

Barad
06-16-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't really care for the online pass as 90% of the games I buy are always brand new, plus the fact that EA actually bring out good games I therefore always buy theirs games new anyway.

Wortsenawl
06-16-2011, 12:22 PM
The servers is the reason I don't buy EA games anymore. Paying a pass for online play is fine by me, as long as if it is free on new.

TheRedComet
06-16-2011, 12:24 PM
I used to hate EA, but they've cleaned up their act in the past few years and are starting to become a respectable company in my eyes.

As for the online pass, I have no problem with it really. I see what it's designed for, to combat the sales of used games. I mean Gamestop makes billions (that's billions, with a B) on used games. Think of it this way. If a GS orders 20 copies of an EA game, sells 5 of them, then 15 get traded in. Those remaining 15 new copies aren't going to move as well as the used copies and therefore GS will have no reason to order any more copies thus EA doesn't make money.

If you have a low income, that's unfortunate. But you KNOW when a game you are anticipating is coming out so you should be able to save the money in advance to get a new copy. I am not a rich man but I make sure I have the cash I need to get a new game when it comes out. I will usually reserve a game I know I'll want and then just put a few bucks on it everytime I go into GS and it's paid off by the time I get it.

Also, more companies are doing the online pass thing. That beloved Mortal Kombat game that came out not to long ago? Yeah, it has it.

Veedrock
06-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Well they are making the game for "us" right? The customer? We are the ones forking out the money. We are the ones who play them. We are the REAL CRITICS.

You're not their customer though, you're the customer of whatever third party you get your used copy from (Gamestop, garage sale, etc). Whatever money you fork out is going directly to that third party; the developer/publisher don't see a penny of that money.

CyberPunch83
06-16-2011, 12:34 PM
I never really hated EA, I always thought the sporets games every year was a bit overbearing, but understandable. With the new online pass system, I may find myself buying more from other publishers now. You pay enough for a game as it is, even used, so making you potentially pay for the online MP seems a bit too much. Otherwise, I'm fine with EA and their practices. Of course we're still waiting for Mirror's Edge 2...

Zesty
06-16-2011, 12:37 PM
You're not their customer though, you're the customer of whatever third party you get your used copy from (Gamestop, garage sale, etc). Whatever money you fork out is going directly to that third party; the developer/publisher don't see a penny of that money.

... I was talking about BRAND NEW GAMES.

Wortsenawl
06-16-2011, 12:48 PM
to Zesty - So use the power you have as a consumer. You hold the ultimate power and they have no say in that. If you don't like something, don't pay for it. You aren't forced to, they cannot make you. All they can do is try and influence your decision making.

If everyone stopped buying online passes or buying games with online passes then they would quickly go away. It's the same with anything. It was obviously trialled on one game (we would have been unaware of the trial), it worked, we carried on purchasing and thereby gave EA the permission to continue with the practice.

Zesty
06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
to Zesty - So use the power you have as a consumer. You hold the ultimate power and they have no say in that. If you don't like something, don't pay for it. You aren't forced to, they cannot make you. All they can do is try and influence your decision making.

Don't know if you're having a go at me or not, but your statement is fair enough.

Veedrock
06-16-2011, 01:01 PM
... I was talking about BRAND NEW GAMES.

Your first post was about used games, and that's what my initial question was concerning.

Zesty
06-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Your first post was about used games, and that's what my initial question was concerning.

*hand up*

With the XBLA version of American McGee's Alice and EA making it accessible through an online pass... what do you expect. EA doesn't make money that way. EA giving stuff away for (technically) free? Not in a million year$.

^^ New game.

Anyway, instead of "arguing" (is that what we're doing?) let's just move on as it's just getting us nowhere.

Mongolian Beef
06-16-2011, 01:30 PM
I hate EA also.

sm182
06-16-2011, 01:39 PM
I've said this before but the online pass system is simply incompatible with XBL, it works fine on a free service like PSN but not for one that needs to be paid for annually. It will also be interesting to see if EA continues to close servers for older games that now need to be paid for if bought pre-owned. Only time will tell on this issue.

Also regarding the new Alice game I guess I will need to update my "Online Pass" thread now.

Opiate42
06-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Why don't you moan at GameStop for them not lowering the price of the games to cover the extra money?

New, used, Amazon, EBGames, BestBuy, my brother-in-law, I'll get my games wherever I can find a good condition copy for the price I'm willing to pay for it.

Minty speaks sagely: gripe to the used sellers who are charging 37.99 for a used game and 39.99 for the same game new. That's not EA's, or any publishers doing. Spend the extra 2 for your pass and save yourself the evidently intolerable trouble.

You still paid $10 less (or more) than I did for the same functionality. I fail to see why you're whining here.

Agreed.

OptimusPrime76
06-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Look let's face it the only people who moan about online passes are kids or poor people.

Why should EA spend millions on developing, creating, marketing and packaging a product and see zero profit from it?????

The 2nd hand Market is one giant con with retailers paying peanuts as trade in prices and selling 2nd had game normally only a tiny bit cheaper than new games. It's the greedy retailers trying to increase their profits that have forced companies like EA to start using online passes.

I'm old enough to remember when snes and megadrive cartridges were 60 a pop in the UK so to me as I've got older games have got cheaper and m disposable income has increased.

I can totally see gaming moving to drm like pc games which effectively killed the pc 2nd hand Market. I would not be surprised if next gen we have forced installs and product keys to allow the game to be used, meaning your not even gonna be able to lend a mate a copy of your game.

EA are a business, pure and simple and their aim is too make a profit which is then reinvested back into games so their yearly sports franchises paved the way for new IPs like dead space and this is great for gamers. The 2nd hand Market is taking away profit. If you can't afford to buy new games on release tough luck! Either wait till it's in a sale, be more choosey about which games you buy, get a better paid job or get another a hobby.

Zesty
06-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Look let's face it the only people who moan about online passes are kids or poor people.

Why should EA spend millions on developing, creating, marketing and packaging a product and see zero profit from it?????

The 2nd hand Market is one giant con with retailers paying peanuts as trade in prices and selling 2nd had game normally only a tiny bit cheaper than new games. It's the greedy retailers trying to increase their profits that have forced companies like EA to start using online passes.

I'm old enough to remember when snes and megadrive cartridges were 60 a pop in the UK so to me as I've got older games have got cheaper and m disposable income has increased.

I can totally see gaming moving to drm like pc games which effectively killed the pc 2nd hand Market. I would not be surprised if next gen we have forced installs and product keys to allow the game to be used, meaning your not even gonna be able to lend a mate a copy of your game.

EA are a business, pure and simple and their aim is too make a profit which is then reinvested back into games so their yearly sports franchises paved the way for new IPs like dead space and this is great for gamers. The 2nd hand Market is taking away profit. If you can't afford to buy new games on release tough luck! Either wait till it's in a sale, be more choosey about which games you buy, get a better paid job or get another a hobby.

Do you work for EA by any chance? :p

Wortsenawl
06-16-2011, 02:39 PM
What bothers me more than online passes and I am worried that EA may take this course (Dead Space 1 and 2 have done it to some extent already) is offering in game bonuses if you pay a little extra for them. DS1 and 2 have weapon packs that make the game a little easier. If this extends into the MP environment - pay 240 MSP for a weapon that reloads 50%, has extra ammo, does extra damage, or armour that provides addtional health.

This is kind of on topic because that is a practice i would hate them for. It would unbalance the MP environment and you know people would pay for it.

Zesty
06-16-2011, 02:42 PM
What bothers me more than online passes and I am worried that EA may take this course (Dead Space 1 and 2 have done it to some extent already) is offering in game bonuses if you pay a little extra for them. DS1 and 2 have weapon packs that make the game a little easier. If this extends into the MP environment - pay 240 MSP for a weapon that reloads 50%, has extra ammo, does extra damage, or armour that provides addtional health.

This is kind of on topic because that is a practice i would hate them for. It would unbalance the MP environment and you know people would pay for it.

Imagine that on the CoD games. That would be war in itself!

niko da bos
06-16-2011, 02:59 PM

:weirdoi dont even know if i can dignify that with a responce.

Wortsenawl
06-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Absolutely Zesty. You know that the younger players would go for it in an instant. It would be a feeding frenzy. And all they need to do is offer a couple of 'cheap' options... 160 points a pop... that's about 1 right? "Muuuuuum, but it is only 1."

I am really surprised this hasn't reared its ugly head with collectibles. Missing one last item? Why not spend 240 points on the map / item locator... "... this great piece of DLC adds an in game map and scanner to help you locate those pesky collectible items."

AC1 / Crackdown players would have bought such a thing in their droves.

Worhammer
06-16-2011, 03:19 PM

Sure they do. You rented that game - do you later buy it?

If you do, then it's as if you hadn't rented it. If you don't, then they make no money off you.

Sure, games are costing us more and more. They're also costing the developers more and more to make. The economy is affecting you. It's also affecting them. I don't imagine they've gotten a raise just because the economy has gone sour. Have you? Therefore, they're struggling just as much as you are. I doubt it cost as much to develop, say, Final Fantasy 1 - 7 as it did FF13. The cost of development has risen, while the price of games has not risen all that significantly (10 dollars in the last 2 console generations, 20 dollars since NES, which is 4 generations if I'm not mistaken)

They're under pressure to do more and more with no significant increase in budget. So I'd say they're more than well under their rights to have a rather cheap (cheap, being inexpensive, not petty) way of making money off of the sales of used games.

Besides. If you're so bothered about it, do like I do. When you buy a used game, go through all the empty cases until you find one that's got a slip of paper in it. Enter the slip of paper on your phone on xbox.com to see if it works. When you get one that does, there ya go. I almost always get working DLC this way :P

I would have no problem with that, ASSUMING that said weapon could also be earned through regular play. If somebody wants to pay to skip ahead, they probably suck enough that I can kill them even though they've got that weapon. I know I would never waste money on something that makes the game easier.

Except for collectables. I'd totally pay $2 to not have to do collectables.

Elit3 m0nkey
06-16-2011, 03:27 PM
What I don't like about EA, is the amount of Day 1 DLC that comes out for their games, DAII being the most recent and worst offender of this. This day one DLC stuff should be on the game disc.

Activision might overcharge DLC, but their DLC comes out months after the game was released.

Wortsenawl
06-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Ooh, Worhammer. That is a cunning idea. I applaud you for that.

Shame it wont work here (in the UK, or at least in my local stores) as the cases on the shelves are always totally empty.

Edit: referring to the scouring cases and using the iphone to check validity of codes.

Opiate42
06-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Except for collectables. I'd totally pay $2 to not have to do collectables.

Oh man kudos. :drunk I'm a collectibles junkie but even I have my limits. Bionic Commando pushed me past that. Some are just....not fun.

M0nkey: As for the day one DLC, that's been addressed in countless threads already I'm sure. There's lots of reasons, some good, some not so.

In many cases it may just simply not have been done in time to be burned onto the physical disc going in the case. We all bemoan delays to the games we want. Well if the data files for the discs are finalized or the printing run has already started to meet the release deadline the publisher isn't going to say "stop the presses" and delay the release to get the DLC on there.

They'll slip a code card in the case, put it up on the Marketplace for download and be done with it. Best for both sides. I'm quite okay with that.

It's locked DLC already on-disc I have issues with. Pay more to unlock what is already there. There's just something innately wrong with that. If I'm not mistaken a "DLC" pack for Bioshock 2 was a terrible offender there. That was 2K who published that one, not EA or Activision.

Wortsenawl
06-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh man kudos. :drunk

I'll take them Kudos's thanks... seeing as it was my idea ;)

Elit3 m0nkey
06-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Oh man kudos. :drunk I'm a collectibles junkie but even I have my limits. Bionic Commando pushed me past that. Some are just....not fun.

M0nkey: As for the day one DLC, that's been addressed in countless threads already I'm sure. There's lots of reasons, some good, some not so.

In many cases it may just simply not have been done in time to be burned onto the physical disc going in the case. We all bemoan delays to the games we want. Well if the data files for the discs are finalized or the printing run has already started to meet the release deadline the publisher isn't going to say "stop the presses" and delay the release to get the DLC on there.

Then why did you have to pay for all that DLC? It was clearly planned from the beginning to be DLC. Not stuff that didn't make it on the disc. The scenario you described I have no issue with, but what EA/Bioware did with DAII is inexcusable.

Opiate42
06-16-2011, 05:37 PM
The Prince DLC? Well if that's the case you've enlightened me, I wasn't aware that was the case for that one and evidently missed the press release that made it clearly done before disc print time. So I'm guessing that was the inexcusable part?

Personally I didn't pay for it btw, Signature edition pre-order but I digress.

Elit3 m0nkey
06-16-2011, 06:15 PM
And the Black Emproium. Dragon Age Origins did it too, with the Soldier's Peak (or something like that). And you even saw the character in your camp. When you talked to him, a message popped up saying that you must buy this DLC.

This is a list of all the DLC available for DAII. Except for Item Pack, it was all released on day 1. There is a lot of pre-order bonuses and promotional DLC as well.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_content_%28Dragon_Age_II%29

lukeballin365
06-16-2011, 06:31 PM
I just wish they would update their servers

lukeballin365
06-16-2011, 06:32 PM
especially before they release dlc that is sure to increase activity

Scotty
06-16-2011, 09:46 PM
i personally like EA, and have no problem with the pass codes. i rarely play online games anyway so maybe my opinion isnt relevent enough, but the way i see it your getting free in-game content for buying their games new from them which is fair if you ask me, they are essentially rewarding you/ inticing you to buy their games new. my only gripe is what they did to DA2(the game being shit, not any problem with online passes or anything) but maybe we could pin some of that blame on bioware aswell.

TERMINATOR 2452
06-16-2011, 10:29 PM
i always buy new copies ,so dont mind .I love EA for making battlefeild ;)

deltime
06-16-2011, 10:49 PM
i have no problem with ea but the online pass can be anoying

punker
06-16-2011, 11:26 PM
I had zero problem with the Dragon Age II thing, since it was well known that those who pre-ordered it by a certain date would get it all free anyway. Obviously they aren't going to just give it away to those who got it used.

Also--

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/16/battlefield-3-physical-warfare-dlc-will-be-free-to-all-pre-or/

Battlefield 3 fans: take a moment away from your planned day of filling out online petitions for this message from EA. The retailer-exclusive pre-order DLC announced for the UK will be available to everyone some time after release. It is only a timed exclusive -- like every piece of retailer-exclusive DLC that has ever been offered, ever.

Even better, that timed-exclusive "Physical Warfare" pack will be free when it is given a wide release later this year. It'll also be a pre-order bonus "all over the globe," said DICE's Karl Magnus Troedsson. So it's just a matter of time. Nobody will have to miss out. We're guessing the free offer for non-pre-orderers is a response to the outrage, so good job!

In other DLC news, the "Back to Karkand" expansion will also be free for pre-orderers, but will be released to everyone at the same time.

Yeah, they NEVER give things away for free.

Lord Montymort
06-16-2011, 11:33 PM
It doesn't bother me at all as I always buy new anyway. Besides they only did it because of the amount of people who started buying used. EA exist for one reason, to release a series of wanted products for a profit, but when people stop buying the product new they no longer make a profit and therefore they resort to actions like the "Online Pass" as a way of making a smaller amount of profit on there titles. If you are unhappy with this then start buying the games new and you will no longer have to pay for the pass. As the saying goes "you can't have your cake and eat it too".

Neonlovetiger
06-16-2011, 11:36 PM
EA makes Dead Space and Dantes Inferno. I would pay 10 dollars extra to play good MP.

MaNiiAC
06-16-2011, 11:59 PM
i have no problem with ea but the online pass can be anoying

I Agree with Deltime, EA still is awesome for making battlefield but Online pass gets annoying!

Dz06lt
06-17-2011, 12:50 AM
buy new if you have a problem, Im glat they push the online pass

spyder2g
06-17-2011, 02:57 AM
I actually like EA and I don't mind the pass deal at all. Oh and I also love Gamefly and still rent the hell out of games. I'm playing some Alice right now and there was something comforting about seeing the EA logo pop up. Something like you know the money was there for testing and EA seems to want their games to be playable by everybody so they make sure the easy setting is pretty easy - at least with the ones I can think of.

About the online pass and still renting I consider my Gamefly sub to be a try before buy and if the game is good enough I'll click the keep it button and they send you whatever dlc codes come with a new game purchase. I've actually kept a pretty good amount of games that way and it's nice to not shell out 60 bucks on a crap game.

ZedChuva
06-17-2011, 04:57 AM
I personally am done with the company. After their bullshit at E3, slamming other companies for charging for online play... fuck'm. I will NEVER buy another new EA game again, ever. I don't care if it takes a year to get BF3, I'm buying it used, and ANY EA game in the future. They will never get another dime directly from me.

And to all the "but you'll still need to buy an online pass to play MP"... I don't play MP, so I don't care. They cripple SP the same way, and I'll just never buy another EA game in any way again.

Douche bag company.

HulKAManiac 31
06-17-2011, 06:32 AM
i hate their company since i was little

Worhammer
06-17-2011, 07:37 AM
I personally am done with the company. After their bullshit at E3, slamming other companies for charging for online play... fuck'm. I will NEVER buy another new EA game again, ever. I don't care if it takes a year to get BF3, I'm buying it used, and ANY EA game in the future. They will never get another dime directly from me.

And to all the "but you'll still need to buy an online pass to play MP"... I don't play MP, so I don't care. They cripple SP the same way, and I'll just never buy another EA game in any way again.

Douche bag company.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt359/Cart1337/umadbro.png

OptimusPrime76
06-17-2011, 07:44 AM

Douche bag company.

What an idiot and what a way to over react. You make it sound like EA were making fun out of you personally lol.

EA make some splendid games and I thought they were bang on the money having a dig at activision for the monthly elite subscription for MW3. I know activision have said it won't affect people who don't sign up and that they can still play online but I feel this is the testing ground for a proper pay to play online feature in the future.

EA have left themselves a bit open now because if they ever charge then they will be massive hypocrites.

Worhammer
06-17-2011, 07:59 AM
What an idiot and what a way to over react. You make it sound like EA were making fun out of you personally lol.

EA make some splendid games and I thought they were bang on the money having a dig at activision for the monthly elite subscription for MW3. I know activision have said it won't affect people who don't sign up and that they can still play online but I feel this is the testing ground for a proper pay to play online feature in the future.

EA have left themselves a bit open now because if they ever charge then they will be massive hypocrites.
Considering that Gears, Halo, Crysis, and Battlefield all give stats out for free (Halo being EXTREMELY comprehensive, I can't imagine how CoD could possibly beat the amount of stats Bungie provides...) I really can't see how CoD can really charge people for what they can get for free elsewhere.

But, n00bs love them some Call of Doody, so they'll bank on it anyway.

Death Metal Jim
06-17-2011, 08:20 AM
EA usually piss me off with their business practices. Whether it be online passes, server closures, recycled sports titles, or extremely poor servers, they always find a way to annoy me. Even in Mass Effect 2, which is an awesome game, they still managed to annoy the hell out of me with that Cerberus Network crap (having to register online and all that). They're definitely making more quality games these days, but that still doesn't make me feel any better about how they treat their customers. Of course this is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth :p.

Minty
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM

Everything you need is in the box though. The game comes sealed with the code inside- all you need to do is type it in. 10 seconds work isn't an effort.

It only doesn't come with it if you buy used- which you know full well before you buy the game. They aren't trying to hide it. If the code isn't in there- well that's between you and whoever sold the game. It has zero to do with EA.

H2O
06-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Nope. I have no problem with EA.

If you can't afford something, save for it, cut back on another cost that's less important to you, or wait for the price to drop as it always does.

People need to learn to live within their means and not expect everything to be made available to them simply because they want them.

EAs decision to charge people who haven't paid them for the product they made a fee to use said product through their servers is perfectly reasonable to me.

OptimusPrime76
06-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Nope. I have no problem with EA.

If you can't afford something, save for it, cut back on another cost that's less important to you, or wait for the price to drop as it always does.

People need to learn to live within their means and not expect everything to be made available to them simply because they want them.

EAs decision to charge people who haven't paid them for the product they made a fee to use said product through their servers is perfectly reasonable to me.

100% agree

Before anyone has another pop at EA or any company using online passes just read the above statement.

Wortsenawl
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
I wonder how those people who are against online passes would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

If you produce something and you find that the 2nd hand market for your procuct makes more money for the item than you do then you would most certainly look at ways to restrict the practice and / or cut in on the deal yourself.

Dav13s
06-17-2011, 12:17 PM
I wonder how those people who are against online passes would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

If you produce something and you find that the 2nd hand market for your procuct makes more money for the item than you do then you would most certainly look at ways to restrict the practice and / or cut in on the deal yourself.

Have you never bought anything second hand? I'll use the car analogy that someone else used. You buy a car 2nd hand. The manufacturer doesn't come over and say "Er, hang on, you didn't pay US for that car, you've gotta buy something that is worth 1/5th of the price of the car new before you can use it to it's full potential". Doesn't happen. Pretty sure car manufacturers have massive development costs and went through the exact same recession we/EA did. I bought a 2nd hand sofa not long ago. It was fine, and I didn't have to buy new cushions from the manufacter to sit on the fucking thing

H2O
06-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Have you never bought anything second hand? I'll use the car analogy that someone else used. You buy a car 2nd hand. The manufacturer doesn't come over and say "Er, hang on, you didn't pay US for that car, you've gotta buy something that is worth 1/5th of the price of the car new before you can use it to it's full potential". Doesn't happen. Pretty sure car manufacturers have massive development costs and went through the exact same recession we/EA did. I bought a 2nd hand sofa not long ago. It was fine, and I didn't have to buy new cushions from the manufacter to sit on the fucking thing

With the second hand car you'll not have the warranty that the original purchaser had. It'll also have more wear than at the start of its life & so will need more maintenance/ have a shorter remaining life span.

The sofa will also have more wear/ a shorter remaining life than when new.

Both second hand users get less product in some way. (product life/ maintenance costs, etc)

Neither will require the manufacturer to spend money maintaining a service to keep them running like with online gaming. The car is even a win/ win situation for the manufacturer as they get continual income from replacement parts/ servicing.

SoulOfTira
06-17-2011, 01:44 PM
The main irritation with them is the shutting down servers thing that is kind of annoying, but I understand why they do it
Don't really have a problem with the online pass in itself would be irritating if youy piad for a pass though and then tehy shut them off a bit later...

OptimusPrime76
06-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Sorry but that's a poor example.

For one thing car manufactures do not suffer in the same way by the second hand market. If they did they would most certainly do something to try and stop it.

Video games are different, just look at every high street retailer who sells video games. In the UK every single high street shop that sells games devotes almost the entire store to rows and rows of second hand games with a few brand new chart games shoved in a corner. The shops are littered with posters offering deals regarding trade ins and your constantly reminded at the counter by the staff not to forget about trading your old games in. The second hand games Market has taken over the UK high street and the Internet isn't far behind with amazon doing trade ins aswell now.

No other industry in the world has seen such a huge drop in profits due to the second hand Market. Theirs plenty of people buying brand new cars and loads of new car showrooms across rhe country.

Also look at your example of the second hand sofa. Ask yourself this, many people do you know have a second hand sofa? I'm not saying it's bad but I imagine the sofa manufactures sell loads new. Their are loads of places selling brand new sofas in the uk but hardly any selling used.

Like I said, no other industry in the world suffers with the second hand Market like the games industry. The only one I can think of is the music industry as less peopke are buying new CDs and getting cheap or illegal downloads but even here bands/artists can make shit loads of money from touring and merchandise.

Basically as has been said people should live within their means and only buy the games they can afford. Just because you want to play every new release doesnt mean you should be handed everything nice and cheap.

sm182
06-17-2011, 02:54 PM
With the second hand car you'll not have the warranty that the original purchaser had. It'll also have more wear than at the start of its life & so will need more maintenance/ have a shorter remaining life span.

The sofa will also have more wear/ a shorter remaining life than when new.

Both second hand users get less product in some way. (product life/ maintenance costs, etc)

Neither will require the manufacturer to spend money maintaining a service to keep them running like with online gaming. The car is even a win/ win situation for the manufacturer as they get continual income from replacement parts/ servicing.

Pre-owned discs can come scratched and therefore have a shorter lifespan much like you pointed out a car/sofa would. It can also be a win/win situation for EA as they can sell additional DLC to a customer who buys a pre-owned copy.

H2O
06-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Pre-owned discs can come scratched and therefore have a shorter lifespan much like you pointed out a car/sofa would. It can also be a win/win situation for EA as they can sell additional DLC to a customer who buys a pre-owned copy.

Any sane person installs games now which negates the scratching problem. Also, surface scratches are easily repaired.

I can't say i've had a problem with scratched/ damaged game media in the last 20+ years.

Cars & sofas however, have worn out in my household.

DLC is a maybe, if it's been out a while they may get an extra sale (although how many people who can't afford new have the spare cash for the dlc?) but if it's just out it's still a max one sale as the games original owner can't play new dlc without the game disc.

Edit: the car was win/ win as generally when you sell a car you buy a replacement. So manufacturers continue to get money from seller & buyer.

StillTIPPIN187
06-17-2011, 03:45 PM
The only game i really like from EA is Dead Space.. and im pretty sure id be in love with Mass Effect once i play it.. Ive bought ME1 and 2 just haven't played them yet xD

Other than that, EA is garbage IMO. All games are garbage.

Led
06-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't like EA.

II RUFF II
06-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Release amazing games, unfortunately their servers let them down big time.

Spanish Assault
06-17-2011, 04:58 PM
You mean the same company who brought us Mass Effect, Dragon Age and the Battlefield Series...

Umm no I don't hate them.

mrmonkeykrap
06-17-2011, 07:40 PM
I can see why the major companies are doing it to make money but since they already made money from that first purchase what is it to them. to be honest its like me buying a second car and having to pay ford for the keys to start it. they already made the money from the first sale so its just being greedy in my own opinion.

TheRedComet
06-17-2011, 08:12 PM
I can see why the major companies are doing it to make money but since they already made money from that first purchase what is it to them. to be honest its like me buying a second car and having to pay ford for the keys to start it. they already made the money from the first sale so its just being greedy in my own opinion.

It's like I said earlier. If they sell 20 games to a game store, the game store gets 15 more in through trade-ins and sells those, they don't have to order an additional amount from EA so the cash flow stops.

Skauz0r
06-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Yeah it's really annoying, and some retailers (like GameStop) deny you from selling the game to them, because they say you have already used the pass...and if you haven't used the online pass, you have no way of proving that to them..They should make it so you have to scratch the back to reveal the code, agreed?

mrmonkeykrap
06-17-2011, 08:35 PM
It's like I said earlier. If they sell 20 games to a game store, the game store gets 15 more in through trade-ins and sells those, they don't have to order an additional amount from EA so the cash flow stops.

not exactly. a store will still order new copies even with a vast supply of pre played copies of the game. some people may not like preowned or a even like the thought of given a second hand copy of a game as a gift. prices on preplayed trade ins can also be very competitive amonf different stores and most shops dont make that much on the sale of trade ins.

Blitz MMCCV
06-17-2011, 08:49 PM
EA Suck Balls IMO although i still like some of their games i hate them as a company

AltruismIsDead
06-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Just my 2 cent opinion, so before anyone goes fanboy EA on my ass, I generally purchase roughly 90% all of my games new. But I just have to ask a couple questions.

I recently heard that the online pass only works for the account it is tied to, not the system? So say Someone activates the code, and their brother/sibling wants to play on their account, they are basically screwed correct? Please correct me if I am wrong on this statement..

Anywyas, regardless even if I purchase my games new, there is no denying that people all over are less fortunate to have that ability and have to result to buying 2nd hand.

Since none of us work in the game industry and only read the PR that is sent out I would say it's safe to say we don't know exactly what is going on with EA. is it really to recoup losses from 2nd hand game sales? Is it just to cash in and drive stock prices and please shareholders? Who knows. Bottom line is this, I'll still continue to purchase new games as I see fit, and if people are unhappy with EAs strategy they shouldn't support them.

And lastly I am sick of people bashing people that are unfortunate to afford new games, 9 chances out of 10 if they could they would, jsu because some people have a sunny disposition and access to money to pay for games doesn't mean everyone else does. I rarely think "stop being poor" is a justifiable excuse to purchase neW games

Edit: Sorry for all the random typos was shopping and just quickly made a response to this thread.

I was also thinking, that if anyone is feeling sorry for EA, you can always do a financial search on them, which also list how much CEO's make in bonus'/profits/stock etc. Please note that I haven't looked into this, but I highly don't doubt that the CEO of EA is really hurting for money and is probably making a couple million + per year.

In closing if anyone thinks I am bashing EA, or I am a fanboy for them, I could careless, like I said before I mainly purchase all my games new unless under certain circumstances and probably purchased more brand new full price EA titles than most people bitching in this thread (with the possibility of game reviewers who get sent free review copies of EA games)

13ip0lar
06-17-2011, 11:32 PM
I swear to God I've posted in this thread already, but seeing as it's brand spanking new I'll just give my concise POV of EA. Anyone that has had a long term relationship with EA, knows their CS sucks and the company is just a group of assholes, plain and simple. However, I can't stay mad at them for long because of the great games they produce. I mean Battlefield? Mass Effect? Dragons Age? Are you seriously gonna say you will never buy another EA game? Anyone who says that is a bold face liar or has no taste in games. Simple fact is most people have a love-hate relationship with EA as I do. If you think I'm exaggerating, you haven't been around the company as long as most people have, in that case I advise you to keep dealing with them for a few more years before you start singing the company's praises.

In any event, everything I seen at E3 in relation to EA's press conference I wanted to play. Well everything except the sports games :D

Gr3yWolf64
06-17-2011, 11:33 PM
I have no problem with EA. Activision bothers me more.

TheRedComet
06-17-2011, 11:40 PM
not exactly. a store will still order new copies even with a vast supply of pre played copies of the game. some people may not like preowned or a even like the thought of given a second hand copy of a game as a gift. prices on preplayed trade ins can also be very competitive amonf different stores and most shops dont make that much on the sale of trade ins.

I don't see them ordering 20 more games with 20 new ones still on the shelf. Yeah, some of those will sell through but not all of them when a cheaper alternative is right there. My job involves me ordering product. I know that if I have 20 units of an item that is not moving I'm not going to order 20 more of it.

Worhammer
06-18-2011, 12:53 AM
I don't see them ordering 20 more games with 20 new ones still on the shelf. Yeah, some of those will sell through but not all of them when a cheaper alternative is right there. My job involves me ordering product. I know that if I have 20 units of an item that is not moving I'm not going to order 20 more of it.
Yes, but if you have 20 pre-owned copies and 0 new, you will probably order at least 1 or 2 new copies, assuming that they still sell.

For example, I'm sure that Halo: Reach and CoD: Black Ops still sell new copies, even if it's only 1 or 2 per week.

TheRedComet
06-18-2011, 03:24 AM
Yes, but if you have 20 pre-owned copies and 0 new, you will probably order at least 1 or 2 new copies, assuming that they still sell.

For example, I'm sure that Halo: Reach and CoD: Black Ops still sell new copies, even if it's only 1 or 2 per week.

That's a good point. Of course they always want to keep a few new ones on hand, but they could put that order off much longer if they were selling 3-4 pre-owned copies to every 1 new one.

LethalRope
06-18-2011, 09:02 AM
EA's sport games such as FIFA are in a different class to their competition so i have no complaints.

I purchased FIFA 11' and used my online code then sold it and bought it again and sold the code online for 6.

GrimSovereignty
06-19-2011, 01:38 AM
I don't hate EA but it is quite annoying with the whole Online Pass game an I feel that before long i'm just going to stop getting EA games.

Elit3 m0nkey
06-19-2011, 02:23 AM
I recently heard that the online pass only works for the account it is tied to, not the system? So say Someone activates the code, and their brother/sibling wants to play on their account, they are basically screwed correct? Please correct me if I am wrong on this statement..

It's tied to the account the downloads it.

Benj192
06-19-2011, 03:04 AM
I generally buy games second hand but the online passes as understandable - I know if I produced something, I'd want to make some money from second hand sales.
I'm more annoyed at EA for closing servers, I'm always going to be stuck at 980g on Skate :mad:

need4speed78
06-19-2011, 03:32 AM
Pick me!

I don't really HATE them, I just wish that their servers wouldn't keep shutting down, or that they stop having a bunch of online achievements for their games. It sucks being stuck with a bunch of games I can never 100%. I understand why they shut them down, but it still blows for the gamers.

Bobtroid
06-20-2011, 07:54 AM
That was the final straw on EA for me... so goddamn greedy.

Wortsenawl
06-20-2011, 08:17 AM
That was the final straw on EA for me... so goddamn greedy.

It is not greedy, it is just good business sense.

Edit: final straw huh? Then why are you advertising them in your avatar?

sm182
06-20-2011, 03:05 PM
It is not greedy, it is just good business sense.

Edit: final straw huh? Then why are you advertising them in your avatar?

It's never good business sense to piss off your customers.

MutantDuckling
06-20-2011, 03:09 PM
I think online passe are a bad idea along with cod elite it the start of something bad within in 5 years we will be paying for our yearly subscriptions as well as extra for the games we actually want to play online

Worhammer
06-20-2011, 03:13 PM
I think online passe are a bad idea along with cod elite it the start of something bad within in 5 years we will be paying for our yearly subscriptions as well as extra for the games we actually want to play online
YOU ONLY PAY FOR ONLINE PAY IF YOU BUY THE GAME USED.

So not the same thing as paying to play or paying for CoD ELITE.

Like a boss475
06-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Personally, I think the passes are ok, But it does piss me off when I buy a used game and I have to get an online pass for $8 when I don't have alot of microsoft ponts.

Wortsenawl
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM

But you see, most people are reasonable and understand what and why they are doing this. The only people who seem to be pissed off aren't really their customers anyway. They are people BUYING THE GAME 2ND HAND, so why should EA care about them anyway, they don't profit from these people. They are more parasites to EA services than they are customers.

Please note, I am not calling 2nd hand game buyers parasites. I buy most of my games 2nd hand. The difference is I totally think the online pass is justifiable.

PyreBall
06-20-2011, 05:07 PM
I used to hate EA once upon time but they've making really good sports games, particularly for my beloved NHL so I really can't complain.

MutantDuckling
06-20-2011, 06:15 PM
YOU ONLY PAY FOR ONLINE PAY IF YOU BUY THE GAME USED.

So not the same thing as paying to play or paying for CoD ELITE.

Yeah i understand that is the case now, I just worry it may not be in the future lets just hope I am wrong!

rayzor81
06-20-2011, 06:39 PM
:uzi: Activision and EA are two fat cat companies that just want to try and suck every last dime out of their customers that they can :mad:

Kairi
06-20-2011, 06:49 PM
I hate hate EA because they do come out with some games, but I think the Online Pass thing is stupid. Luckily I haven't ran into a game that requires you to have an online pass yet, but I don't really like what they have been doing with it. It's kind of pointless :/

tomztomzt
06-20-2011, 06:49 PM
All companies are in it to make money... some just seem more greedy than other... I personally dislike Activation way more than EA.

sm182
06-20-2011, 11:14 PM
But you see, most people are reasonable and understand what and why they are doing this. The only people who seem to be pissed off aren't really their customers anyway. They are people BUYING THE GAME 2ND HAND, so why should EA care about them anyway, they don't profit from these people. They are more parasites to EA services than they are customers.

Please note, I am not calling 2nd hand game buyers parasites. I buy most of my games 2nd hand. The difference is I totally think the online pass is justifiable.

Well like I said earlier even the parasites who buy pre-owned can buy DLC (and we know how much EA loves their DLC). Also if EA were to make an genuinely interesting game it may persuade them to buy the sequel new when it comes out.

But the way EA does it is great as well :)

Warren17
06-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Isn't the point of a company to make money? I see no one complains to Mircosoft when they make a company charge for the DLC. Why is Microsoft doing this? To make money.

Brad Woodburn
06-21-2011, 05:20 AM
I think EA Games is fantastic!

Minty
06-21-2011, 05:41 AM

If you're an EA customer and giving them money, you're buying the game new therefore you have the online pass included in the case.

If you don't get the pass in the case, then you bought the game used. No money goes to EA from this transaction, therefore you aren't their customer. You are a Gamerstop/Amazon marketplace/ebay customer.

That is the whole point of the online pass in the first place. Be mad at whoever sold you the game.

purpleinsect
06-21-2011, 05:50 AM
I'm really beginning to dislike them. Yeah they are a business, but so are many other game companies, who don't have online passes. EA should take example from Rockstar (as should all the others). I never used my online pass for MMA, so that someone will actually want to buy it from me someday. Online acces etc should always ALWAYS be in the actual game for free. Make some very interesting DLC content if you want to make more money, but this pass system will backfire on them

13ip0lar
06-21-2011, 07:24 AM
If you're an EA customer and giving them money, you're buying the game new therefore you have the online pass included in the case.

If you don't get the pass in the case, then you bought the game used. No money goes to EA from this transaction, therefore you aren't their customer. You are a Gamerstop/Amazon marketplace/ebay customer.

That is the whole point of the online pass in the first place. Be mad at whoever sold you the game.

This^ ffs.

I didn't realize this was initially posted by another person pissed off about the online code. Honestly, I don't say this in an insulting manner, but the only people getting raged about this are kids, or rather people without an income. You ask anyone and they rather buy the game new at launch, or used and buy a online pass, than play p2p. EA is one of the few companies that provide dedicated servers for consoles. Granted after experiencing many p2p games on Xbox, in the past year other than CoD, I can say CoD currently has the best p2p networking for online play, but still p2p is garbage. Not only that but they will never offer ded servers for console, but they also won't track your stats for free either. I just heard they are gonna add a monthly if you want your stats tracked? I lol'd...sad thing is people will pay for it, and as long as they pay, it's here to stay.

So in response to this whole "wha wha, online passes are gay". I disagree 100%, I rather pay $10 if I buy used, or just buy at launch and not have to worry about it, rather than play with some kid that has a 1mb connection... if I'm lucky. Really urks me when you pay good money for a connection and the game chooses the kid with the worst to host. That's another arguement for another day. In any event if you're still raged, hopefully that one less kid that I don't want playing BF3 and sticking to CoD. :D

Worhammer
06-21-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm really beginning to dislike them. Yeah they are a business, but so are many other game companies, who don't have online passes. EA should take example from Rockstar (as should all the others). I never used my online pass for MMA, so that someone will actually want to buy it from me someday. Online acces etc should always ALWAYS be in the actual game for free. Make some very interesting DLC content if you want to make more money, but this pass system will backfire on them
Why should it? Give me one good reason.

R* just released their first online pass. Granted, it's for DLC in an offline game, but how much you wanna bet their next game that has online MP will have the Rockstar Pass as well?

I'm so sick of this sense of entitlement so many gamers have.

YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO WHATEVER YOU WANT JUST BECAUSE YOU BOUGHT THE GAME.

You are entitled to play the game on your own console. If a company runs servers (which cost THEM money) and they want to charge you to use them, they are well within their right to do so - and it is not greedy of them to do so. Do you have any idea how much it costs to run a dedicated server? Just having one of the matchmaking servers that MS provides costs $40k for one game. Dedicated servers add to that price.

You buy the game used, you have in no way contributed to lowering this cost for the developer, so why should you get to use it for free? The rest of us paid.

If you want something free, go find yourself a soup kitchen.

EliteShadowMan
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
who cares? i used to hate EA for their games sucking quite a bit a while back, and the online pass did tick me off for a while. But i'm over that now since if i really wanna play a game that EA made i'll probably be buying it anyway. Also THQ seems like they're following in that direction as well for a couple of their games. So if you hate EA then you better start hating the other game companies that are eventually going to catch on to this idea as well.

Itstheimpaler
06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
When i bought MoH it was used from a friend and he didn't give me no online pass or anything i was still able to pop the disc in and play online without having to pay anything. Now granted it was crappy graphics and game play

Bane 13 Ghosts
06-21-2011, 01:48 PM
I think the online pass thing is a good way to earn money I mean if you bought the game brand new (ie not 2nd hand) then your paying the fee to use it on your machine and online.

With the 2nd market earning more and companys loosing out then it is a good way.
Mind If I buy one second hand I look to rent the game from somewhere like blockbusters if the code doesn't work on the manual lol usually the code works from them :D

ninjachicken
06-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Can someone tell me what these online passes are, i get that they are free if u buy the game new but not if u get it preowned. Are they like the cerberus network thing from Mass effect 2?

institutions
06-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Can someone tell me what these online passes are, i get that they are free if u buy the game new but not if u get it preowned. Are they like the cerberus network thing from Mass effect 2?

It's a pass that lets you play the online multiplayer for that game.
This isn't an EA example, but say Call of Duty had this online pass system. If you buy the game new, you can play online multiplayer. If you buy the game used, or rent it, you must have $10 for an online pass or you can't play the multiplayer.

OT:
:shrug:
I really don't see the problem with EA.
They don't make any money off used games anyway. This is their way of trying to get some of that money, which they deserve.
With the used games market, companies make so much less money than they should.
I try to buy most of my games new, just to help out the devs a little.

Kryptonie360
06-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Pre owned games also get traded in multiple times EA could potentially lose loads of customers per disk that is traded in I bought a preowned copy of Battlefield Bad Company and it looks like it had been traded in about 6 times therefore 6 sales lost by EA.

And about the annual aports games update if they announced there was going to be no FIFA 13 there woud be an uproar.

Whilst I'm not saying the same thing people dont like piracy as it stops developers getting money for their products, thats exactly what pre-owned games do cut off the money supply to that product so well done to EA for finding a way to generate income from these products and generating more revenue to improve future titles.

nappster187
06-21-2011, 03:26 PM
i totally understand why they have the passes... it makes up some of the $$$ they lose for preowned... i dont mind it, but i usually buy new...
so i have no issues with ea

HuMuRoUs
06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I agree the Online Pass sucks but tbh i have never really liked EA games. They all look half assed and just generally shit :L but thats just my opinion.

mjc0961
06-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Oh I hate EA all right. Not because of online passes, though. You want to use their servers, you should be sending them some money to help pay for the servers and be thankful that it's a one time transaction and not a monthly fee.

I hate them because they're still just as evil as ever. People say they are better now. Really? I think those guys at the studios they bought and later closed down recently would disagree. It's the same shit they always did, but people pretend not to notice because they put out some new IPs? Big deal. Dead Space did well and is now already in "milk this shit" mode, and Mirror's Edge is pretty much dead as it bombed (really, I never would have guessed that a first person platformer would do that :rolleyes:) and EA can't make piles of money by franchising it. They just don't have the balls to admit it.

They're also still ruining the fuck out of the franchises they took from these studios they bought. Just ask Command and Conquer how it's doing. HINT: Poorly.

Honestly, I'm surprised that EA haven't killed Bioware and started pumping out as many crappy installments of Mass Effect and Dragon Age as they can yet.

R* just released their first online pass. Granted, it's for DLC in an offline game, but how much you wanna bet their next game that has online MP will have the Rockstar Pass as well?Uhm, if it's for DLC in an offline game, it's obviously not an online pass. It's just a discount on all current and upcoming DLC. Not even remotely the same thing and asking people who bought the game used to pay $10 to get online.

I agree with everything else you said though.

janus2202
06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I don't really hate them for this. Any successful business should make money where it can be made. As long as people are willing to spend the money for the online content, why pass on a chance to profit from it? No one at EA cares that you are not willing to pay up when there are thousands who are willing.
I don't like the way they do it. But then again, I don't have to buy that content or anything else from them - and neither do you.

Dcon6393
06-21-2011, 06:37 PM
It is a nuisance, but the reality of it is this is going to be a commmon business practice in the coming years. Companies like Bethesda will never use this system and be known as saints for it because there is no multiplayer in their games. While I do think Bethesda is great and super awesome, that will be unwarranted praise if it happens. As Worhammer has explained, servers cost money and money comes from us consumers. I have no problem with online passes because I can get the game new that comes with the pass.

If you don't know if you will like the game and can't rent games, then buy it used. If you like it enough return it for a new copy and pay the extra 5-10 bucks, depending whether or not this will save you money in regards to the online pass.

I will admit I usually buy games used when there is no demo on XBL and I have not played the previous entry. That way if I don't like it, I return it. The mentality we all have today of buying stuff for the cheapest price possible hits the developers, and they need to be compensated for it.

I only have a problem with EA when they start to mess with perfectly good games. They seem to be running Mirror's Edge 2 into a deep hole.

TheRedComet
06-21-2011, 08:50 PM

Cerberus Network isn't quite the same but still falls in the same line. If you bought the game new you got a code for CN and were offered exclusive downloads such as Zaeed and other stuff. Bad Company 2 had a similar code called the VIP Code which automatically downloaded new maps that were added to the different playlists at no charge. Don't have VIP, can't get new maps. Both could be bought on Marketplace at I believe $15 bucks but as mentioned if you bought the game new it came with it.

purpleinsect
06-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Why should it? Give me one good reason.

One good reason? Because the acces to online play has never before been extra content. It's always been a part of the game. So I really hate this because everyone is constantly trying to milk people for more money.
I buy pretty much all of my games new, so I ain't looking for anything free. Singleplayer and multiplayer should be part of the package.
I just don't use the online codes because after I'm done playing, I want to be able to sell it. And people who buy second hand games do buy DLC etc. So they indeed are customers for the companies who made the games.

COD multiplayer has been free, always. So why now it should be something you pay extra for? Did we not play on their servers before? With the price of a new game, for christ sake have the single and multiplayer be free, without the codes.

13ip0lar
06-22-2011, 08:45 AM
I agree the Online Pass sucks but tbh i have never really liked EA games. They all look half assed and just generally shit :L but thats just my opinion.

This is a comment born out of ignorance and perhaps you should have thought about it before you hit submit. I'm sure many other people will see the obvious flaw in this statement.

One good reason? Because the acces to online play has never before been extra content. It's always been a part of the game. So I really hate this because everyone is constantly trying to milk people for more money.
I buy pretty much all of my games new, so I ain't looking for anything free. Singleplayer and multiplayer should be part of the package.
I just don't use the online codes because after I'm done playing, I want to be able to sell it. And people who buy second hand games do buy DLC etc. So they indeed are customers for the companies who made the games.

COD multiplayer has been free, always. So why now it should be something you pay extra for? Did we not play on their servers before? With the price of a new game, for christ sake have the single and multiplayer be free, without the codes.

CoD MP is free? How do you figure? You pay for XBL, that's just to allow you to be online with other gamers. Soon CoD will be charging you for stat tracking, and furthermore the only thing CoD provides as far as MP is the basic framework and protocols to match you up with other players. You are doing all the work with the connection you pay $30+ a month. So yeah CoD's MP is free, but they don't do anything, and p2p is just garbage anyways.

EA as much as I detest them, put out quality games, and provide all this and more to gamers free of charge. They track your stats for you, and make easy to track your stats via third party sites, if your into that whole sig deal. Not to mention they provide dedicated servers. To me that alone puts them way ahead of the pack. Not to mention their games own. Mass Effect, Dragons Age, Battlefield, along with the new titles that look awesome: Furious Four, and Reckoning to name two.

purpleinsect
06-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Yeah I was saying COD has so far been free. But that will change as well. I don't mind paying for live. It's a great thing. It's the fact that you buy a game, pay for internet, pay for live and then they expect you to hog out more money to get something that should have been free in the first place

Wortsenawl
06-22-2011, 11:28 AM
...and then they expect you to hog out more money to get something that should have been free in the first place

It is free in the 1st place, or 1st instance. If you buy the game new it is free, gratis, no charge... you are the 1st instance of a customer and you pay no charge whatsoever.

In the 2nd instance of a "customer" who is in fact a customer of an ebay or trade in shop, it is not free.

I think all the people here complaining need to contact the people they buy their used games from and ask them why they are not selling the pass to allow full access. Or complain to the person who bought the game new and had the audacity to use the pass before selling the game 2nd hand.

You know when you host a party, or attend one held by someone else and the words "bring a bottle" are written on the invite? Well it is kinda like that, they will fork out most of the cash to allow you to attend this online party (infrastructure, support, etc.), but they do expect everyone to contribute a little toward it - the online pass.

ZundayXx
06-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Who doesn't?

They're even worse then everyone else for PC gamers. Small example: They used to have Crysis 2 up on steam, now they don't and they put on their steam-ish program ( It's so useless I forgot the name ) and increased the price by an avarage of 20%. Same goes for Alice, originally meant to be on steam, not annymore.

EA is also punishing people for living in Europe for some reason. Not the Brits, but everyone on the mainland. Why? The damn pre-order actions! Only way I can participate on these actions is trough import, and thats going to cost me a fortune. I'm absolutely O.k. with minor pre-order actions, but this is just wrong.

And here I was thinking Activision is taking the lead in rip-offs.

Worhammer
06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
So I really hate this because everyone is constantly trying to milk people for more money.
Ah hah! You just proved my point.

EA isn't trying to milk ANYONE for more money. They just want you to, I don't know, pay them to use what they designed! Oh, I know. That's so nuts, right? To expect people to...I don't know...help them out with their development costs so their people can feed and shelter their families.

I buy pretty much all of my games new, so I ain't looking for anything free. Singleplayer and multiplayer should be part of the package.I just don't use the online codes because after I'm done playing, I want to be able to sell it.Then why are you complaining? This doesn't impact you in any way. Even if you use that online pass, Gamestop doesn't give a crap. Neither do most people on ebay.

And people who buy second hand games do buy DLC etc. So they indeed are customers for the companies who made the games. Yes, and they are supporting the cost of developing that DLC. Not paying for the price of server upkeep. Do you have any idea how much it costs to run a server? I'm a network engineer, so I know. It's a lot. http://www.infobahn.com/research-information.htm There's a link just for fun. Most companies probably use an OC12 for their servers. EA may have to use something higher, I don't know how much data an EA game requires.

COD multiplayer has been free, always. So why now it should be something you pay extra for? Did we not play on their servers before? With the price of a new game, for christ sake have the single and multiplayer be free, without the codes.COD multiplayer also isn't on dedicated servers. They pay Microsoft for their matchmaking servers, and then they're done.

And guess what? Microsoft makes you pay them to upkeep those matchmaking servers in the form of xbox live. So wait....COD MULTIPLAYER ISN'T FREE!!!! WHAT?!?!? NO WAY!!!!

Still waiting for one good reason.

Wortsenawl
06-22-2011, 01:21 PM
I was initially against the online pass, I really was. Until I was told it did not apply to new games, from that point I was totally behind it. I buy a mix of new and used, but it is a logical step for the companies to do this. I would only deem it unfair were it for new games too.

What I really can't understand is the irrational and illogical anger toward it, and not matter how strong an argument is put up (and there are some good ones), the same old peeps refuse to even consider that it might actually serve a purpose other than a cheap scam to make money.

tiger 1
06-22-2011, 01:50 PM
All developers will be using Online Pass soon not just EA.

StillTIPPIN187
06-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Umm.. CoD is free online.

If you guys wanna pull the whole you pay for XBL stunt then lets say i decide to buy MW3 for my ps3?

Ill buy it used put it in my ps3, Log into my free ps3 account and then play online matchmaking all i want without having a cent taking out of my pocket other than the money i paid to get the game used.

This may not be the case when the next CoD after MW3 drops.. but this is how it stands currently.

and i agree with the online pass. I just dont like EA titles very much. Dead Space and Mass Effect are the only good ones. I much prefer Rockstar to any of em.

Wortsenawl
06-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Umm.. CoD is free online.

If you guys wanna pull the whole you pay for XBL stunt then lets say i decide to buy MW3 for my ps3?

Ill buy it used put it in my ps3, Log into my free ps3 account and then play online matchmaking all i want without having a cent taking out of my pocket other than the money i paid to get the game used.

I am not sure what you mean by your comment about paying for xbox live... you do pay (gold membership to play online).

Regarding buying used and playing for free on a PS3. Simple. You have your answer right there. Cough out an additional 280 quid and you can play on the PSN as much as you like.

litepink
06-22-2011, 05:41 PM
I just heard they are gonna add a monthly if you want your stats tracked?

You heard wrong. Stat tracking portion of COD Elite is free, quit saying it isn't. Some parts of COD Elite are free, some are not. It has been confirmed that the stat tracking (among many other features) is free.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/06/03/call-of-duty-elite-official-faq/

Minty
06-22-2011, 05:44 PM

I think paying the $30 a year it actually costs (if you pay $50 you are stupid) is worth it to know that my credit card details arent now on a hackers PC. The quality of service you get compared to PSN is a huge difference.

Yeah I was saying COD has so far been free. But that will change as well. I don't mind paying for live. It's a great thing. It's the fact that you buy a game, pay for internet, pay for live and then they expect you to hog out more money to get something that should have been free in the first place

If you buy the game as intended, it is free!! I don't understand how people don't get this. I have bought about 4 EA games with passes....and I haven't paid a penny for any of them. They are free!

ZundayXx
06-22-2011, 06:27 PM
I think paying the $30 a year it actually costs (if you pay $50 you are stupid) is worth it to know that my credit card details arent now on a hackers PC. The quality of service you get compared to PSN is a huge difference.

After recently playing some PS3 matchmaking, I noticed no differences compared to Xbox's gold services. Do note: I'm not counting the useless things like Facebook and Last.fm because I can do those on my PC... for free.

And let's be honest, who wouldn't rather pay $0 instead of $30?

( Not trying to get this entire thread off-topic )

Minty
06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
After recently playing some PS3 matchmaking, I noticed no differences compared to Xbox's gold services. Do note: I'm not counting the useless things like Facebook and Last.fm because I can do those on my PC... for free.

Me. I think they should actually have tiers for Xbox. I'd quite happily pay another $20 a year on top to play with other people that paid the premium, as it would pretty much guarantee no 12 year olds were ever in my games.

EMP
06-23-2011, 02:07 AM
The onlne pass is a joke how about they stop charging us and make a better football game(American football), I buy it every year and find out it's pretty much the same damn thing and they just throw in shit... I have no problem with Hockey although I wish they really would get to the bottom of cheaters on it. Online passes are pathetic I'm a huge basketball fan and I am glad to play 2k over Ea's title of basketball.

TheRedComet
06-23-2011, 02:13 AM
The onlne pass is a joke how about they stop charging us and make a better football game(American football), I buy it every year and find out it's pretty much the same damn thing and they just throw in shit...

You pretty much discredited yourself with that.

Dcon6393
06-23-2011, 02:57 AM

Well you aren't getting the same product. I'm assuming the reason PSN got hacked was because they don't have enough money invested in security, because they don't charge for online. I'm happy to know that while on XBL my account info and personal info will not be stolen. Also if you can't pay 50-60 bucks a year without complaining then you should rethink having a hobby where the newest installment cost $60, and 2-3 are released every week. Not saying you have to buy all games, but still (Not referring to you, just everyone in general who has ever said that).

Me. I think they should actually have tiers for Xbox. I'd quite happily pay another $20 a year on top to play with other people that paid the premium, as it would pretty much guarantee no 12 year olds were ever in my games.

Agreed, I would gladly pay for this too, shocked Microsoft hasn't implemented it already.

The onlne pass is a joke how about they stop charging us and make a better football game(American football)

Well they don't charge you if you support the company and buy the game used. They only charge you for it if you didn't buy it new, or are renting it. That way the company can maybe make some money while having to support you on their servers.

I buy it every year and find out it's pretty much the same damn thing and they just throw in shit...

Then don't buy it until reviews come out or a demo comes out. I never buy sports games because I have my trusty Madden 2001 in my PS1 if I wanna play a sports game.

Warren17
06-23-2011, 02:59 AM
The onlne pass is a joke how about they stop charging us and make a better football game(American football), I buy it every year and find out it's pretty much the same damn thing and they just throw in shit... I have no problem with Hockey although I wish they really would get to the bottom of cheaters on it. Online passes are pathetic I'm a huge basketball fan and I am glad to play 2k over Ea's title of basketball.

Buy the game new and you have no problems. Simple as that.

Worhammer
06-23-2011, 05:02 AM
Agreed. I'd pay $100 a year to get rid of all the whiners.

Of course, the $30 or $45 I pay now still cuts out most of them.

I hate PSN so much. Urgh. Main reason I hate playing Resistance or Uncharted online, even though they're great MP games I gotta deal with all the whiny brats, which outnumber the whiny brats on LIVE 3 to 1.

Wortsenawl
06-23-2011, 08:52 AM
I would pay to have premium membership too. I am surprised to be saying that as I was sorely tempted to get a PS3 for the free online, but in retrospect I am happy I chose the Xbox. It is a great service and well worth the 30 a year (2.50 per month).

If they gave me a premium service with some added nuts and bolts then I would definitely pay more. You wont ever find me paying for things like Last fm though.

Sorry for going slightly off topic - but the thread has kinda gone that way anyway.

Vigor
06-23-2011, 11:27 AM
I grew stone cold towards EA when they started pumping out DLC for 800 points with only 30G's attached.

It's the new trend nowadays to fuck over gamerscore while charging full prize.
You can either stand there and get stabbed in the back like hihi haha or just don't buy it, it's not worth the cash2content anyway.

Itstheimpaler
06-23-2011, 01:38 PM
i think the online pass fee is agreeable it's 10 bucks and they constantly maintain their servers such as WoW. now in some ways yes CoD is free online to an extent but you really are paying microsoft so much a year to access their servers but they have to much they constantly check every single one whereas EA is more composed thus better gameplay in my opinion

13ip0lar
06-24-2011, 10:02 AM
If you buy the game as intended, it is free!! I don't understand how people don't get this. I have bought about 4 EA games with passes....and I haven't paid a penny for any of them. They are free!

Ah hah! You just proved my point.

EA isn't trying to milk ANYONE for more money. They just want you to, I don't know, pay them to use what they designed! Oh, I know. That's so nuts, right? To expect people to...I don't know...help them out with their development costs so their people can feed and shelter their families.

Then why are you complaining? This doesn't impact you in any way. Even if you use that online pass, Gamestop doesn't give a crap. Neither do most people on ebay.
COD multiplayer also isn't on dedicated servers. They pay Microsoft for their matchmaking servers, and then they're done. And guess what? Microsoft makes you pay them to upkeep those matchmaking servers in the form of xbox live. So wait....COD MULTIPLAYER ISN'T FREE!!!! WHAT?!?!? NO WAY!!!!

Still waiting for one good reason.

It is free in the 1st place, or 1st instance. If you buy the game new it is free, gratis, no charge... you are the 1st instance of a customer and you pay no charge whatsoever.

In the 2nd instance of a "customer" who is in fact a customer of an ebay or trade in shop, it is not free.

I think all the people here complaining need to contact the people they buy their used games from and ask them why they are not selling the pass to allow full access. Or complain to the person who bought the game new and had the audacity to use the pass before selling the game 2nd hand.

You know when you host a party, or attend one held by someone else and the words "bring a bottle" are written on the invite? Well it is kinda like that, they will fork out most of the cash to allow you to attend this online party (infrastructure, support, etc.), but they do expect everyone to contribute a little toward it - the online pass.

These are all well thought out, clear cut examples of why really you don't have a right to complain unless you're a free loader. Which brings me back to the original point, and this in no way is meant to disrespect anyone, but the majority of people whining are kids. If you have a job chances are you buy your own... well, everything. This means games you really want, even if you don't have the money, you will charge it and pay off before the next month. The only ones that have a problem with it, are people with no steady income, and can't believe games they've been waiting a couple of weeks for to drop in price on eBay, won't allow them to play online without playing close to retail with the addition of having to buy an online pass. Honestly, I don't feel bad for you...

I'd refer you to all the points listed above. Any capable, reasonable adult, knows that this is the way things are, they won't change. If you buy your games new, especially ones that are awesome and you are looking forward to, *cough* BF3, then there is no problem. :D