PDA

View Full Version : Archenemy Mode

Verkunder
06-16-2011, 12:58 PM
This is impossible to beat. I've barely gotten past two of these guys. How the hell are you supposed to win when your opponent starts his first turn with four lands?!

Skode
06-16-2011, 01:22 PM
This is impossible to beat. I've barely gotten past two of these guys. How the hell are you supposed to win when your opponent starts his first turn with four lands?!

Play with friends and NOT the AI is my advice... 3 experienced players all co ordinating attacks has worked wonders for me so far. Still the mode can be a mess... so much seems to going on at once that it can be hard to keep a track of whats going on which is where your buddies are essential to discuss next moves and what has happened that you might have missed in all the shenanagins happening around you.

HolidayBrick
06-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Archenemy is pretty bad. Basically if you have all the allied players using nissa's deck or jace's deck you can blast through it, but most of the other decks are far too slow.

You can follow the AI's lead on attacks and just try to play your best. If one of your allies goes down before the archenemy is at 25 or less it's usually a bad sign unless you have a really good board position.

Perax
06-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Play with friends and you shall be fine, we're having a lot of fun with Archenemy mode 'cause it's not so easy, but definitely beatable.

Tip: Time Warp is overpowered in Archenemy :P

Verkunder
06-16-2011, 04:50 PM
No doubt having humans helps, but I've only got one friend with this game and he lives on the other side of the planet, so schedulingg conflicts happen. Argh. I'll try using those two decks with AI, I guess.

EDIT: I'm so f*#$ing sick of the enemy always getting the one scheme card that negates whatever I was just able to pull off. I've never encountered something so unfair in my entire life. And the AI is RETARDED. I'm getting to the point of not even playing anymore.

Darth MaIak
06-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Just play triple Jace decks. turn 2 krovikan mist from all three of you is actually unbeatable.

Edit: Just make sure to mulligan aggressively to a hand that can play krovikan mist turn 2. otherwise the deck is trash.

Coorhagon
06-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I used Blue/Green. And I always had a burn deck ai to kill ridiculous creatures. Third deck I always went random.

ChromiumDragon
06-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Archenemy can be a real pain to those who have little to no experience with the real game, but an experienced player should be able to beat the AI with little problems. The only one I had a problem with was Nicol Bolas, and I went through the game with the dragon deck.

The AI is just as dumb as in most of the other games; you can easily predict exactly how they'll attack and block. Use the AI's stupidity to your advantage, don't do anything incredibly stupid, and don't overextend yourself and you'll be just fine.

King Ghosty
06-20-2011, 03:08 AM
The Archenemy campaign wasn't too bad for me. I started using two AI dragon decks and the green deck myself. For the last couple of bosses giving me trouble, I easily wiped them with 3 Jace decks (Blue Illusion deck)

Ohheythere
06-20-2011, 08:22 AM
I will agree that it is completely unfair and a terrible game mode, like all Magic Games, it really comes down to the cards. You can be completely dominating a game, and then a "scheme" gets pulled out (like turn all of your creatures over to him with haste) that basically will end the game. Complete bullshit.

Perax
06-20-2011, 09:50 AM
I will agree that it is completely unfair and a terrible game mode, like all Magic Games, it really comes down to the cards. You can be completely dominating a game, and then a "scheme" gets pulled out (like turn all of your creatures over to him with haste) that basically will end the game. Complete bullshit.

Yes, Archenemy mode comes down to the cards. Schemes are really game-changer, but i love it.
Every turn, you (and your friends) have a new table situation to deal with and it's not easy to defeat an Archenemy, making it more interesting imo.

Of course if you're playing with AI, defeat an archenemy can be a very difficult task, expecially if the player is not REALLY into Magic, but that's why they made 3 difficulty settings.

I never had any problem with Archenemy mode so far, so maybe that's why i don't get all that "flame" at it

Recall
06-20-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't have a single person on my friends list you plays this so people saying play with humans - please note it isn't viable for all.

I found it best to always counter act the opponents deck with creature removal and hope the schemes don't screw me over.

theNomad
06-20-2011, 05:47 PM

I'm enjoying it but agree by the time you get to bolas, the scheme cards really swing the game in his favour. There's even a card that gives him x3 schemes at once, you know its pretty much likely game over then.

theNomad
06-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Hehe just had another try and managed to beat him and complete all the achievements. This time it was oddly easy, I used the vamp deck and chose AI's with nisa and kira's decks. I got lucky the 1st two scheme cards didn't have any effect due to having nothing on the battlefield.

Bit pissed it didn't unlock Bolas deck would of been fun to have those discard zombie cards & those stacking direct effect against players HP cards (he used 2 in two upkeeps on me once both taking 9HP directly from me). All in all though I've really enjoyed playing MTG this week and sure I'll pop back. Over 85k players now ranked on the leaderboards so sure there'll always be someone to have a game against)

DarkMellow
06-21-2011, 07:39 AM
this game has screwed both me and a friend playing in archenemy, we've beaten Sorin twice and Nissa once and none of the wins even counted!

is this a known bug or do we really have to keep fighting them till it decides to let us continue?

shinobigarth
06-21-2011, 07:20 PM
this mode is total bullcrap, at least against the AI (dont know if you can play against a player as your opponent this way). practically no point in playing since just about every turn the AI draws a "kill 2000 permanents" or "deal a bajillion damage to all players" Scheme card and then attacks with its 200 creatures which you can barely block since he just destroyed all or almost all of yours!

does that deck have any cards that are only ok, and not ones that completely rape you?! because the AI constantly draws multiples of the same card, sometimes twice in a row. arent the rules that the scheme deck cant have more than 2 of the same card? ive definitely seen the AI play the same card at least 3 times in the same game. so cheap.

mitchv79
06-26-2011, 04:34 AM
Like someone else said, play the Realm of Illusions deck and have your two allies use that deck also. I beat every single opponent that way, and I even beat Nicol Bolas on the first attempt that way. Just make sure you start with at least 3 lands and a Krovakian Mist or two. And the artifact that gives you life for casting blue spells helps a lot as well. I had two of those out and ended up with 58 life even though I had no creatures and my allies were doing all the work!

The only way you can be beat like this is with those retarded schemes. If you get unlucky they will really work against you. But keep trying...I got all the way through the Archenemy campaign in just a couple hours!

rybrammer
06-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Have you found an answer to your question yet? This same thing is happening to me and my friend against Kiora.

Cav Clayton
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
2 Jace's and 1 Kiora.

Rite of Replicating a Krovikan Mist is nuts.

xIxELM0xIx
07-02-2011, 10:53 AM
does anyone know if you get the achievement if done with human players?

namepending
07-02-2011, 10:01 PM
some people mentioned it not registering and in my experience whoever is hosting the campaign archenemy game and inviting their friends needs to survive the fight for their progress to count in the campagin. I'm not sure if this is a glitch or it is meant to be like that but so far me or a friend would only progress if we actually survived, doesn't matter if we won or lost.

Drucifer82
07-03-2011, 05:03 AM
I beat it with Sorin Markov's deck and I didn't care what decks the AI were using. It wasn't that hard to manage, the most tricky part being Nicol Bolas. But as others have said it's all experience and card draw.

I've been in a hiatus and haven't bought cards in a couple years but this game makes me consider picking up a booster box of the 2012 core set.