PDA

View Full Version : The License for DLC`s - Important Question!

Dark Anaconda
06-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Hey people,

i have one important question about the license for DLC`s.

What if you get a DLC ( Game Add On ) which you want to keep forever.

But you can get it only with an account from a different country.

So you make yourself a second ( temporary ) account just to download this DLC ( Game Add On ).

After you got the DLC ,you are deleting your second account ,which you wont need anymore.

But after 3 years ,your xbox breaks...so you have to buy a new DLC.

You are recovering your gamertag ,getting all the DLCs back ,BUT here is the question: Can you get the one DLC ,which i was talking about ( which you bought with your second trash account ) with your Main Account too? I want to know if the license is saved on your account or on your xbox?

Elit3 m0nkey
06-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey people,

i have one important question about the license for DLC`s.

What if you get a DLC ( Game Add On ) which you want to keep forever.

But you can get it only with an account from a different country.

So you make yourself a second ( temporary ) account just to download this DLC ( Game Add On ).

After you got the DLC ,you are deleting your second account ,which you wont need anymore.

But after 3 years ,your xbox breaks...so you have to buy a new DLC.

You are recovering your gamertag ,getting all the DLCs back ,BUT here is the question: Can you get the one DLC ,which i was talking about ( which you bought with your second trash account ) with your Main Account too? I want to know if the license is saved on your account or on your xbox?

When you buy any content from the Marketplace it is tied to both console and the gamertag it was purchased with. So no. If you use a second account to buy anything, you should keep it on the hard drive, especially since it doesn't take up much space.

gamerguy69
06-16-2011, 08:56 PM
When you created that secondary account it should have been tied to a corresponding Windows LIVE ID.

Recover that account using said information. ...and transfer those licenses accordingly as well.

Hopefully you didn't trash that either -- or at least have it written down someplace, in your memory bank. :)

dakisbac
06-17-2011, 02:31 AM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=169568

BluWolve
06-17-2011, 02:50 AM
When you buy any content from the Marketplace it is tied to both console and the gamertag it was purchased with. So no. If you use a second account to buy anything, you should keep it on the hard drive, especially since it doesn't take up much space.
this is right. DLC will be licensed to the first console it was downloaded to, and the GT that downloaded it. if you want to redownload things however, you must go through the corresponding GT purchase/download history.

EDIT: here (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/LicenseMigration/FAQ) is a link to some FAQ's about microsoft content transfer tool.

Dark Anaconda
06-17-2011, 09:29 AM
I called Microsoft too to get more informations ,this is what i understood:

If you download a DLC ,it will be saved on your 1) Gamertag and on your 2) Console.

If you buy a new Xbox , and if you ONLY recover your gamertag and get every single DLC what u purchased on your old xbox ,you will only be able to play those DLC`s ONLINE not offline!

But if you use the "Transfer Tool - which you can use 1 time in 4 months " ,you can transfer your License from your old Xbox to your new xbox.
IT DOESN`t matter if your old xbox is fucked up "

You can transfer those licenses from the xbox.com website.

So what u need to know is: Use the transfer tool to transfer your License from your old xbox to your new xbox ,and use Gamertag Recovery on your new xbox too.

If you do that ,you will have everything ,you will be able to get all the DLC`s back and you will be able to play those DLC`s online AND offline. :woop:

BluWolve
06-17-2011, 09:48 AM
I called Microsoft too to get more informations ,this is what i understood:

If you download a DLC ,it will be saved on your 1) Gamertag and on your 2) Console.

If you buy a new Xbox , and if you ONLY recover your gamertag and get every single DLC what u purchased on your old xbox ,you will only be able to play those DLC`s ONLINE not offline!

But if you use the "Transfer Tool - which you can use 1 time in 4 months " ,you can transfer your License from your old Xbox to your new xbox.
IT DOESN`t matter if your old xbox is fucked up "

You can transfer those licenses from the xbox.com website.

So what u need to know is: Use the transfer tool to transfer your License from your old xbox to your new xbox ,and use Gamertag Recovery on your new xbox too.

If you do that ,you will have everything ,you will be able to get all the DLC`s back and you will be able to play those DLC`s online AND offline. :woop:
if you had of looked at the link i provided, you wouldnt have needed to even call MS support. everything you just said and more is provided on that support page. which is why i gave it to you. but hey, if you would rather call them thats your choice.

EDIT: HERE (http://http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/LicenseMigration/FAQ) it is again.

Dark Anaconda
06-17-2011, 10:12 AM
I have one question left ,i had forgotton to ask: I heard you cant get back film downloads and avatar downloads is that right? ( I mean if you transfer the license to your new xbox and recover your gamertag )

No no i read your post and i looked in the link too ,but you know i had other questions too ,and i was unsure.

I am from germany and you know i just wanted to make sure that i understand everything right.

Now the only thing i have to know is: What happens if you delete your system cache..do you loose everything?

But you know what ,i am fucking grateful for your help. God bless you. ( Seriously ) :drunk

BluWolve
06-17-2011, 10:22 AM
avatar items are for the GT that downloaded them only so you can use them on any console your GT is signed in on, without having to transfer, but no one else can at all no matter what.

movies cannot be transferred due to copyright laws or something, they will forever be on whichever console you downloaded them to first.

i can guarantee deleting your system cache does not mean you lose everything, as i have done it a few times before, on advice by MS support in regards to other problems.

system cache is only for game updates, so for example if you own call of duty, the first time you play it it will say "an update is available from xbox live". those updates are stored in your system cache, so all that will happen if you delete is you will need to download again next time you put the game in. some people, (not me ever), delete their system cache, then play a game offline to exploit glitches and bugs to get easy achievements.

Dark Anaconda
06-17-2011, 10:29 AM
I dont know , if this is true ,but i heard you will loose every offline achievement you earned if you make gamertag recovery or delete your system cache...

Is this true?..

Maybe if you play a game ONE time online after getting all the achievements ,maybe it will saved ,so it doesn`t matter if you recover your gamertag or do system cache?

Oh man.....

Elit3 m0nkey
06-17-2011, 02:36 PM
I dont know , if this is true ,but i heard you will loose every offline achievement you earned if you make gamertag recovery or delete your system cache...

Is this true?..

Maybe if you play a game ONE time online after getting all the achievements ,maybe it will saved ,so it doesn`t matter if you recover your gamertag or do system cache?

Oh man.....

When you recover your GT, it takes the data from the LAST time you signed into Xbox LIVE.

Let's say you sign in on June 4th and get 3 achievements. On Jun 6th you sign in to your profile, but the internet is down and you can't sign in to LIVE. On that day you get 10 achievement, but aren't signed in to LIVE and don't for the next couple days. Then on June 10th you go to a friends house and recover your GT. Because you did not log on to Xbox LIVE between the 6th and 10th, the servers will have no record of you gaining those achievements. So you loose those achievements.

However, let's say you did sign into LIVE between the 6th and 10th, the servers will record that you have those 10 achievements. So when you recover your GT you won't loose any achievements.

Deleting the system chache only affects updates, so you won't lose any achievements.

Hope this helps.

gamerguy69
06-18-2011, 01:42 AM
When you recover your GT, it takes the data from the LAST time you signed into Xbox LIVE.

Let's say you sign in on June 4th and get 3 achievements. On Jun 6th you sign in to your profile, but the internet is down and you can't sign in to LIVE. On that day you get 10 achievement, but aren't signed in to LIVE and don't for the next couple days. Then on June 10th you go to a friends house and recover your GT. Because you did not log on to Xbox LIVE between the 6th and 10th, the servers will have no record of you gaining those achievements. So you loose those achievements.

However, let's say you did sign into LIVE between the 6th and 10th, the servers will record that you have those 10 achievements. So when you recover your GT you won't loose any achievements.

Deleting the system chache only affects updates, so you won't lose any achievements.

Hope this helps.

If one was to have their Profile stored onto a USB drive, wouldn't that eliminate the need to recover they GT if they were to take that to an internet connected console and sign-in from there?

I'm thinking yes but I've never had the need to do this.

BluWolve
06-18-2011, 03:42 AM
If one was to have their Profile stored onto a USB drive, wouldn't that eliminate the need to recover they GT if they were to take that to an internet connected console and sign-in from there?

I'm thinking yes but I've never had the need to do this.
im not exactly sure what you are asking, but you are right, if you have your GT stored on a USB, you dont need to recover it. as a matter of fact, that is exactly what i do, as recovering GT can be risky. check out this link HERE (http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-live/how-to/xbox-live-account-management/gamer-profile.aspx)

Dark Anaconda
06-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Thank u guys ,i got all the informations what i was looking for.

I dont need to worry about anything ,because everything is cleared ,and i know exactly what to do.

Thank u guys so much and thanks to Microsoft Support.

Arenazombie
06-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I guess you have to do licence transfer with all you different profiles on the new xbox, because license transfer is only putting the licences from a specific gamertag that you enter on the site to you new xbox.

BluWolve
06-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Thank u guys ,i got all the informations what i was looking for.

I dont need to worry about anything ,because everything is cleared ,and i know exactly what to do.

Thank u guys so much and thanks to Microsoft Support.

no worries mate, glad to help out.

I guess you have to do licence transfer with all you different profiles on the new xbox, because license transfer is only putting the licences from a specific gamertag that you enter on the site to you new xbox.

yes you are 100% correct, which can be a little annoying, especially if you have alot of XBLA titles and/or DLC