PDA

View Full Version : Conducting MW3 Survey for Future News Article

radeeoactive33
06-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey you guys, I'm Zach, and I'm a writer for PlanetXbox360.com . Right now I'm working on an article which will relate the Jason West & Vince Zampella/Activision legal problems to the sales of Modern Warfare 3. If you know about the legal problems, I encourage you to please voice your opinion in the poll below. The question is:

Will your knowledge of the Jason West/Vince Zampella/Activision legal problems influence your purchasing decision of Modern Warfare 3?

Thanks for helping me out guys!

B0seiju
06-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Ehrm... shouldn't the matter of someone buying it actually or not, count also? I mean if someone isn't buying it because of the problem, or isn't buying it anyway it's way different?

VladimirK
06-16-2011, 10:39 PM
It actually bothered me a bit about all the MW3 stuff being about and I think I didn't see one mention of it.

And whilst I do feel uneasy about that, let's be honest, I'm most likely gonna buy it, just like everybody else.
No point in saying about how much I hate Activision and how I'm gonna boycott them or anything like that.

As much as folk love to hate on the games, sometimes it's fun to just try and switch off and play a dumb FPS; on top of that, I have to admit, it is a nice feeling buying into the hype of something.

BluWolve
06-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Ehrm... shouldn't the matter of someone buying it actually or not, count also? I mean if someone isn't buying it because of the problem, or isn't buying it anyway it's way different?
the question is;

Will your knowledge of the Jason West/Vince Zampella/Activision legal problems influence your purchasing decision of Modern Warfare 3?

so for example, im not going to buy the game, but the legal problems have nothing to do with that decision, so i will vote no.

B0seiju
06-16-2011, 10:54 PM
the question is;

so for example, im not going to buy the game, but the legal problems have nothing to do with that decision, so i will vote no.

Yeah I got that already, but to see if it really turns people from buying the game you also need to know if they will, or will not buy the game. Because as you already stated, you wont buy it anyway.

BluWolve
06-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah I got that already, but to see if it really turns people from buying the game you also need to know if they will, or will not buy the game. Because as you already stated, you wont buy it anyway.
the question is not whether or not it will deter you from buying the game, it is asking if the legal issues influence or affect your decision, whether you are buying it or not.

B0seiju
06-16-2011, 11:06 PM
the question is not whether or not it will deter you from buying the game, it is asking if the legal issues influence or affect your decision, whether you are buying it or not.

I know that he's asking that, but in my opinion you can't really conclude anything with the asked question if you don't know if someone is buying the game or not. Because if you weren't going to buy the game in the first place, you'll probably be unaffected by the whole thing anyway.

BluWolve
06-16-2011, 11:10 PM
I know that he's asking that, but in my opinion you can't really conclude anything with the asked question if you don't know if someone is buying the game or not. Because if you weren't going to buy the game in the first place, you'll probably be unaffected by the whole thing anyway.
ok mate you win, its all semantics really i dont care that much. i understand where your coming from, im just trying to be specific with the question that was asked, its up to you how you want to interpret it.

EDIT: Oh and to be clear i personally did think about it when making my decision whether to buy it or not. it was not in the end a deciding factor IMO

Lord Montymort
06-16-2011, 11:11 PM
No, it won't affect my decision, because I wasn't planning on buying MW3 anyway. Battlefield 3 and Gears 3 are what I want.

B0seiju
06-16-2011, 11:12 PM
ok mate you win, its all semantics really i dont care that much. i understand where your coming from, im just trying to be specific with the question that was asked, its up to you how you want to interpret it.

As I already said, I know which question is asked. But also I my opinion (this doesn't mean you have to share it, or that you have to let me win ;)), it's the wrong question.

BluWolve
06-16-2011, 11:14 PM
As I already said, I know which question is asked. But also I my opinion (this doesn't mean you have to share it, or that you have to let me win ;)), it's the wrong question.

haha fair enough, maybe you should start your own thread asking the right question then?

Edit: although i bet you dont really care that much, neither do i.

i m redshark
06-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Battlefield 3 and Gears 3 are what I want.

This, I think I'm going to pass on this game until the distant future. At least until I get tired of BF3 or something

Veedrock
06-17-2011, 12:15 AM
If the question was asking about their lack of involvement in the title, I might have said yes. But I don't feel any kind of sympathetic cause or moral obligation to boycott the title because of the lawsuit or anything like that, so the lawsuit in and of itself will not affect my decision.

TheRedComet
06-17-2011, 12:35 AM
I don't plan to buy it but I don't think the legal stuff really influences that. It's just gonna suck so I'll pass.

Elit3 m0nkey
06-17-2011, 12:43 AM
No, not that I plan on buying the game anyways. BF3 will crush it.

Dz06lt
06-17-2011, 12:48 AM
nope i dont care about any of that shit i just want a good game

Paulson
06-17-2011, 01:03 AM
I said yes, because although it is a minor fact in my decision, it is a factor none the less. I retired from CoD about 2 months back and my gaming has become much for fun and relaxing! For the most part I am just sick and tired of call of duty, the outrageous cost for their dlc, the idea of an "elite" subscription package, and that CoD is a gaming cesspool. The legal problems is just another piece of information which cements the fact that my gaming dollars will go elsewhere!

Mongolian Beef
06-17-2011, 01:26 AM
At first, I was going to vote yes, but I realized I wasn't going to buy the game either way, so I had to vote no. ;)

radeeoactive33
06-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Wow! Thank you for all the responses guys!

To be more clear, I will explain what my article is about. I first conducted a survey asking random Modern Warfare players about whether they knew about the current legal situation. Now that I have that statistic, I'd like to see how many gamers would actually be in influenced by this knowledge. It doesn't matter to me whether they were going to buy it in the first place or not. I'm really just testing gamers, how much "in the know" they are, and if this knowledge effects them. I get what you're saying if this was strictly from a sales POV, but its a little bit more broad than that.

GhOsT SLaYeR
06-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Well anyone that says that they was a "unjust firing" do not really know what happened. They both deserved to be let go as they were collaborating with EA which is in direct competition with Activision as a publishing company. I do not feel sorry for them at all. This sort of information exchanging happens all the time and they just got caught. It also does not make sense that they should get money from Modern Warfare series because they helped develop it. If that is the case, why do the other employees which get laid off all the time not get a percentage of it?

French_Kid
06-17-2011, 03:37 AM
ill have to vote "no it doesn't affect my decision" as I have never purchased a COD game or a MW (are they the same?). And I highly doubt I ever will buy one

Worhammer
06-17-2011, 07:43 AM
the question is;

Pretty much me.

I'll buy it when I can get it for $20 or $30, though. Never cared for CoD MP, it's total crap. I've always loved the SP campaigns though, so I buy them for that.

Stufin135
06-17-2011, 11:08 AM
I dont buy into the West/Zampella story to be honest. I think they were up to no good and that's the reason why they got fired. All they did was make a load of IW employees walk out so they missed out on their bonuses. So basically West/Zampella screwed everyone else over, Activision didn't screw them over.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I know virtually everyone won't agree with it.

H0p3sfalL
06-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Won't hinder my decision on getting MW3 at all. Just wont get the "prestege edition" this time around.

SteveDGamer
06-17-2011, 02:11 PM
No, it won't affect my decision, because I wasn't planning on buying MW3 anyway. Battlefield 3 and Gears 3 are what I want.

I'm with this person!
All the other games are going to be rented....

Warbler Chris
06-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Yes it will affect my decision I think more info needs to be clarified about the situation!

jules the great
06-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Nope it wont affect anything, I dont care about all that silly nonsense.

CyberPunch83
06-17-2011, 03:08 PM
It doesn't make a difference to me, if IW/Sledgehammer/whatever can still make a quality game then their legal problems shouldn't matter or influence anyone's decision. Anyone who is directly affected by this have plenty of controversy-free games they can turn to.

battlebillbob
06-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Honestly it won't affect my choice.

Have to 100% agree with CyberPunch83's post above mine.

StillTIPPIN187
06-17-2011, 03:49 PM
No.

IF they were some kind of super developers and those two guys alone made up IW and they were the sole developers for the MW series.. Then yes it would.

But considering that those 2 guys and far less then half of the 100+ member studio of IW left then no it will not. Still buying MW3.

MC B0B x360a
06-17-2011, 06:23 PM
No. This just seems like another writer trying to fish for answers, and cause a stir. Here's a piece of advice for the OP. Great stories are not made, and they do not appear in a puff of smoke. A great story comes from a story that is good to begin with, and then a writers talent, creativity, and hard work makes the story become great.

radeeoactive33
06-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Well, damn. You put me in my place, haha. I'm not trying to create news. It's just a subject I'm interested in and thought others would be too. This won't be a "Watergate" type of article, no worries. Appreciate the feedback though.

Thank you everybody for answering the poll.

Gackt
06-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Hard to be interested in MW3 at all when they never bothered to fix MW2's multiplayer issues.

Baylor05
06-17-2011, 08:27 PM
I will buy the game regardless of any legal sitution the developers/publishers are in. As long as it's a game I want to buy, then I'll buy it.

LethalRope
06-18-2011, 09:10 AM
No.

The game will be worth the money that is all that concerns me.

Plus I don't see what relevance the financial troubles have with the production of MW3?

radeeoactive33
06-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Thanks again for all of your responses! It's great to see over 50 opinions. If members who have not voted yet could check out the poll above, I would really appreciate it. If I get about 20 more in this poll, I'll have a number that I'm comfortable using as a survey sample among the other places I am polling.

Thanks again!

NickA92
06-22-2011, 04:34 PM

Pretty sure that "Yes it will affect my purchasing of MW3 includes it affecting it so much that you don't buy it."

i got squeezed
06-22-2011, 07:42 PM
No, Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer along with Raven is going to blow the Call of Duty genre out of their shoes. MW3 will be the best, and is going to win best shooter. Even though West and Vince is gone, Robert still has this under control with his team.

niko da bos
06-22-2011, 07:56 PM
No, it won't affect my decision, because I wasn't planning on buying MW3 anyway. SNIP.

^verbatim^

Kairi
06-22-2011, 07:59 PM
I didn't want to buy it to begin with, and that won't change my decision becuase I still don't want that game.

crisdawne
06-24-2011, 04:54 AM
I really enjoy the Call of Duty games. I didn't like Michael Jackson as a person but I still liked his music. I think Tom Cruise is beyond strange but he's still in some really good movies... and MW2 was great so I'll def be in line for the release of MW3.

GrimSovereignty
06-24-2011, 05:13 AM
It won't affect my decision, as long as a solid game is created then I will gladly buy it

PyreBall
06-24-2011, 07:22 AM
It won't. The series, like any other, has it flaws but the personal matters of the companies involved don't make them any less entertaining. The Call of Duty franchise is the only FPS series besides Halo that simply cannot be passed up in the over-saturated shooter market.

monkeyboy2283
06-24-2011, 06:34 PM
I am going to hold back an wait to see how it is, because WOW looked good before it came out.

niko da bos
06-24-2011, 06:59 PM
I really enjoy the Call of Duty games. I didn't like Michael Jackson as a person but I still liked his music. I think Tom Cruise is beyond strange but he's still in some really good movies... and MW2 was great so I'll def be in line for the release of MW3.
:offtopic:lol wtf?

Juksey
06-24-2011, 11:16 PM
I think most people will just buy the game for the multiplayer and not really care about any legal disputes, while the idea of standing up and dealing a blow to a games company may sound good i highly doubt it will effect that many people.

DriftingBeast
06-25-2011, 12:33 AM
I think most people will just buy the game for the multiplayer and not really care about any legal disputes, while the idea of standing up and dealing a blow to a games company may sound good i highly doubt it will effect that many people.

Yeah, I am buying the game for the multiplayer. I really don't care about their legal disputes.

Ice Car
06-25-2011, 02:07 AM
It will largely not affect my purchase decision at all, though all the legal crap that is going on, the conflicts, and the results might change the game itself and might affect my decision. IW is largely disbanded and has had to involve other companies in the development...

There are bigger things than this that will affect my purchase decision. Quite a bit really.

Jayshock89
06-25-2011, 07:45 AM
By the time the two left, MW3 should already be at least halfway through development, I'd like to think most of the design ideas and concepts were already in place when the poopy hit the fan. It's not like there's nobody worth having at IW anymore, I have full confidence that under the cooperation of 4 studios, MW3 will be a fine, if not great product. Hey we still got good ole Bob Bowling.

vgfanatic1
06-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Tbh, I dont really know too much about the legal thing. Either way, though, I wouldn't let my opinions for a game dev get in the way of buying a game. I dislike Activision for other reasons (and I really don't like them). I'm not buying CoD because its practically the same game as the past few years, just
with new maps, weapons, and a few adjustments. I'd rather play a game that had effort put into it; eh, I guess that does kind of tie back into my opinion of the dev.

MakoBallistic
06-25-2011, 08:21 PM
I wont be getting it for a number of reasons, but the whole corporate screwjob by Activision didnt exactly help them in my decision.

Spade.
06-30-2011, 03:16 AM
West and Zampella got robbed and all, but it's a CoD games so...yeah. Im getting it regardless.

reefmedic79
06-30-2011, 03:42 AM
Can anyone give me a quick version of the what the legal action is?

theslynx
06-30-2011, 11:45 AM
I had to vote 'no,' because I wouldn't be purchasing the game anyway.

But in theory, if I was on the fence about the game, I do think it would sway my decision a bit. I think it's easy to overlook the fact that how you spend money makes an implicit moral decision about what's worth supporting.

Along a similar line, I felt a little uneasy about my purchase of LA Noire after hearing from various places about the kind of treatment Team Bondi members had to go through in making that game. Or in the other direction, I purchased Chime without really intending to play it very much, because the game's proceeds were targeted to charity.

I'm not sure precisely how strongly something like this would change my purchasing decisions. I suspect it's a marginal thing, and not as strong an effect as it probably should be. For instance, I'm buying Skyrim for sure, even if I find out Bethesda is a front company for the devil himself, and the disc press is powered by a large kitten fire.

chelseaman99
06-30-2011, 12:07 PM
No but I wasn't getting it in the first place.

CodSteaks
06-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Wasn't planning on buying it right away in the first place, and the legal issues had no affect on that decision.

I can't afford to buy many brand new games, and I'm not a big enough fan of the CoD games for it to be one of my new game purchases. I do enjoy them, but I'm also kind of late to 360 gaming, so I have a stack of excellent games that I can play before I would think of buying the new CoD game (Oblivion, Bioshock, Batman: AA, Crackdown, CoD 2 and a bunch of others all sitting on my shelf waiting to be played).

I am planning on preordering AC Revelations, though, as that's currently my favorite ongoing game series. I can say that if something like this happened at Ubisoft Montreal, I would still buy the game day one because I'm that hyped for it, and the controversy would probably only affect my future purchasing decisions if the game were complete shite.

So I guess even if I were a big CoD fanboy, I'd probably still buy MW3. The political stuff doesn't bother me much unless it affects the game quality.

N-Forced
07-02-2011, 07:00 PM
No the legal battle will not affect my decision, the monthly charge and the fact that MW2 sucked major ass will affect my decision in not buying the game. Not to mention the endless hacks, whining kids, and more of the exact same.