PDA

View Full Version : Adverts on Dashboard

JPClyde
06-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Is it me or have there always had adverts on the dashboard?

There just seems to be more and more adverts than usual like the lynx and Intel.

KNUCKS x360a
06-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Yes, there is a *ridiculous* amount of Ads on the dashboard.

I mean I'm already used to the whole idea of it now, I know its here to stay. But what really p*sses me off is the multiple ads for one product/game.
I counted 7 CoD ads once across Spotlight/Marketplace/Community etc, & there was 4 or 5 Assassins Creed ones at once ust a few days ago...

I don't know about you guys, but when my brain gets even an inkling that someone is trying to force stuff on it, It just does the exact opposite!:p - If it was such an amazing game/DLC, surely no one would need to sell it so hard anyway?!

Spanish Assault
06-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes, there is a *ridiculous* amount of Ads on the dashboard.

I mean I'm already used to the whole idea of it now, I know its here to stay. But what really p*sses me off is the multiple ads for one product/game.
I counted 7 CoD ads once across Spotlight/Marketplace/Community etc, & there was 4 or 5 Assassins Creed ones at once ust a few days ago...

I don't know about you guys, but when my brain gets even an inkling that someone is trying to force stuff on it, It just does the exact opposite!:p - If it was such an amazing game/DLC, surely no one would need to sell it so hard anyway?!
Untill I read your post I was like "what the hell is an "advert"?

KNUCKS x360a
06-17-2011, 08:39 PM

Ha yeah, British for 'commercials' :p

JPClyde
06-17-2011, 08:45 PM
I just don't like the idea of the console going this way, sooner or later there will be nothing but adverts just so they earn more revenue.

What's next Asda adverts buy 2 loaf of Warburtons for 2 or 2x 2 pints of milk for 2, it wouldn't be bad if they were advertising Microsoft items.

StillTIPPIN187
06-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah?

Why do you think MS changed the Dashboard to NXE? To show more Advertisements to you at once!

Kinda funny how MS charges its customers for online and shows us Advertisements while Sony stays free and has no Advertisements.. Could be because the XMB on PS3 can't support it..

None the less, still jacked up on MS' end.

KNUCKS x360a
06-17-2011, 08:50 PM
I do hear you dude.

But unfortunately (& realistically) I can't see it doing anything other than growing as the LIVE users increase.

Unless, we, as gamers, all cough up the few squillion $$'s they would lose! :p

cHRiSCOe
06-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Same here lol

JPClyde
06-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I do hear you dude.

But unfortunately (& realistically) I can't see it doing anything other than growing as the LIVE users increase.

Unless, we, as gamers, all cough up the few squillion $$'s they would lose! :p

That's it now they have started this little earner they will not turn if off only increase the adverts.

Like StillTIPPIN187 said, if the servers were free like XMB I would understand it, but paying a yearly subscription then seeing adverts it's not right. In the UK we have a 5 main channels, 2 that require a TV license but have no adverts and 3 that are free but show adverts thats how Xbox should be one or the other not both.

KNUCKS x360a
06-17-2011, 09:03 PM
That's it now they have started this little earner they will not turn if off only increase the adverts.

Yeah exactly.

I'm not sure how many LIVE users there are, I heard 10 million once - and if big brands pay millions for a 30 second TV ad watched by 5-10 mill, Then I wonder how much they pay for an Ad that sits in front of those 10mil LIVE folks *all* day on their dash!?!...

*KERCHING* anyone?

summeranne
06-17-2011, 09:13 PM
I honestly don't pay any attention to any of the crap on the dashboard, unless I'm scrolling through to find the sale items after reading about them on a website. So it doesn't bother me one bit.

mrmonkeykrap
06-17-2011, 09:17 PM
I know it was mentioned above but the fact that gold members pay for membership we should not be shown constant ads. we should have the option to turn it off. Silver members should be shown ads as theyre not paying for the service. I honestly think its wrong and we should be allowed to turn off the feature.

Skillet
06-17-2011, 09:32 PM
But if the dashboard wasn't full of little 500x400 boxes advertising the next CoD map pack, what would you have to look at?

Seriously. The Jack Link's Jerky ads could go, yes. But the amount of ACTUAL advertisements in comparison to Xbox/game-related ads notifying you of new videos or DLC is incredibly small.

It amazes me how many whiners there are on this service...

JPClyde
06-17-2011, 09:59 PM
But if the dashboard wasn't full of little 500x400 boxes advertising the next CoD map pack, what would you have to look at?

Seriously. The Jack Link's Jerky ads could go, yes. But the amount of ACTUAL advertisements in comparison to Xbox/game-related ads notifying you of new videos or DLC is incredibly small.

That's what newsletters and gaming sites are for, you only need one advert not five of the same item. Yes they are small but an advert is an advert none the less no matter what it's for, and it's only small now wait a little longer when there will be more companies joining in.

JAW LV
06-17-2011, 10:06 PM
I've never really been bothered by the advertisements. Besides, 90% of the time it's game related anyways so I don't see the big deal... but hey to each their own.

Veedrock
06-17-2011, 10:39 PM
But the amount of ACTUAL advertisements in comparison to Xbox/game-related ads notifying you of new videos or DLC is incredibly small.

Exactly this. If something is an advertisement it will say advertisement underneath it. Don't confuse those with legitimate announcement tiles.

---
A tile saying "Sneak preview of the next Call of Duty Map Pack" is not an advertisement.
A tile saying "Just released, New Vegas: Honest Hearts" is not an advertisement.
A tile saying "New Avatar Gear from AC Revelations" is not an advertisement.
---

And a lot of actual advertisements are game related, usually directing to a demo download if you click on them. Homefront is the most recent example I can come up with.

There's only one case in which it gets in the way of actual service features, and that's the occasional ad between ESPN and Hulu (this is the only thing that irks me). Everything else comes after service tiles (ie Game Marketplace), so you never even have to scroll that way.

CyberPunch83
06-17-2011, 11:02 PM
The advertisements are to be expected, the few of them there actually are. The few I've seen are always game-related, so it never sticks out either. As long as they don't work their way into every single game, it won't be a problem.

StillTIPPIN187
06-17-2011, 11:56 PM
I just wanna say in addition with my above post, That i do not mind game DLC or game announcement advertisements.. or even MS/Xbox Advertisements.. even thought most the MS stuff is a rip off even when its on sale xD

I dont like McDonalds and Moutain Dew and that deodorant with the sasquatch thing.. i kinda get tired of seeing lame Windows Phone 7 adverbs.. but its MS so i guess its acceptable..

Like i remember seeing Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts on the first block as soon as you turn your box on.. That doesn't bother me.

Worhammer
06-18-2011, 12:50 AM
I actually like the adverts, especially for new DLCs or XBLA games. It helps to keep current with stuff.

Also, since the non-game related adverts usually involve free gamerpics or themes, I am ok with those too.

And the messin with sasquach commercials....those were great for a laugh

So....really, I like them all. :D

battlebillbob
06-18-2011, 12:56 AM
I suppose it's a good thing Australia only has one or two ads at a time on our dashboard.

CiaranLmore
06-18-2011, 12:57 AM
They sold their soul to the devil !!

mksystem74
06-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Advertising any way possible is business. Nothing new and nothing thats going away anytime soon. I don't spend much time at my dashboard, so I don't mind.

Ethiebeefy
06-18-2011, 10:48 AM
They do it because they can besides isn't that what the dashboard is for on live?

KNUCKS x360a
06-19-2011, 05:19 PM

The irony of course being, no-one was whining, untill.... ;)

Just people having a discussion & maturely expressing conflicting opinions.

I suppose it's a good thing Australia only has one or two ads at a time on our dashboard.

That sounds pretty sweet actually! I dont mind a couple, its just the carpet bomb method thats irritating. (just like TV/Radio etc)

GrimSovereignty
06-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Its just business as usual, putting your product where a lot of people can view it...nothing wrong with it but it is increasing

Ivan Mendez
06-24-2011, 05:20 AM
I don't watch tv so i like them.

i got squeezed
06-24-2011, 06:16 AM
I can only imagine what the new lame dashboard will look like this fall with all the ads.

generaldamian
06-24-2011, 09:32 AM
you can also look forward to Nuads kinect integrated advertisements.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/23/kinect-enables-the-dreams-of-advertisers.aspx

Juksey
06-24-2011, 01:27 PM
To be honest its not that bad. I quite like seeing new games or dlc being advertised like that because if i want to see it then i click on it if not i carry on going where i was intending to go. It takes a second at most to move on so i don't see why its so bothering. I could understand if it popped up and forced you to watch it or something that would be annoying or if when you go to watch a video or something an advert played like on youtube sometimes. As long as its related to the xbox 360 or new games or dlc coming out over here then i don't mind as i hardly notice them anyways. Theres no way Microsoft is going to go back on this lets just hope they don't force the advertisements on us like many websites etc do.

Foxxy kyle
06-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Last I checked a forum is where people have online discussions with one another. I believe thats whats going on here.

Stalkah
06-24-2011, 05:12 PM
not really, i only get the odd one.

Capn Doug
06-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Last I checked a forum is where people have online discussions with one another. I believe thats whats going on here.

Yeah, but there's a difference between a legitimate gripe and this. I mean, it really bothers people that there are advertisements on the dashboard? Like it is some holy place where the purity and integrity of video games will be sullied by placing non-video game related things in the vicinity? How dare companies try to run video games like a business! Seriously, this is like people who complain about being advertised to on websites like this one so they put up adblocker, despite the fact that advertising helps keep the site going.

If you really want to get rid of the ads, when the console starts, press up, then press A.

xKRAIZEEMANx
06-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Advertisements are everywhere. Does it bother me...Nah, not much. I am mostly on my Xbox to play a video game, or watch Netflix. It does add a bit of time when I am trying to find add-ons or the like.
Now...When I have to watch a 30 second ad before I can play my game, or they try to raise the monthly subscription fee so I can NOT watch ESPN drivel...Then I will commence with bitching.
That's my two cents.

Foxxy kyle
06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah, but there's a difference between a legitimate gripe and this. I mean, it really bothers people that there are advertisements on the dashboard? Like it is some holy place where the purity and integrity of video games will be sullied by placing non-video game related things in the vicinity? How dare companies try to run video games like a business! Seriously, this is like people who complain about being advertised to on websites like this one so they put up adblocker, despite the fact that advertising helps keep the site going.

If you really want to get rid of the ads, when the console starts, press up, then press A.

I understand what your saying and I cant say I disagree but I dont think his last comment was necessary at all.

Natalie
06-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Game adverts are not to bad but I hope they dont stand advertise things that we dont care about just to make more money we are already paying a subscription

TakahashiDemon
06-24-2011, 10:44 PM
They're so annoying too when they play automatically.. ads are for TV.. keep them there >_>

mjc0961
06-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Kinda funny how MS charges its customers for online and shows us Advertisements while Sony stays free and has no Advertisements.

That little box in the top right corner of my screen telling me to buy the LA Noire Rockstar pass so I can play Nicholson Electroplaying that's out now or telling me that there's a sale on Sonic titles disagrees with you.

---
A tile saying "Sneak preview of the next Call of Duty Map Pack" is not an advertisement.
A tile saying "Just released, New Vegas: Honest Hearts" is not an advertisement.
A tile saying "New Avatar Gear from AC Revelations" is not an advertisement.
---
The first one, yes. The second two, no. Those absolutely are advertisements. The point of them is to tell you that those things are out and that you should just click right here to buy them. They are greatly less offensive ads than the random State Farm, Jack Links, and other ads, and I actually don't mind those ads at all, but they are still advertisements. They're the kind of ads we should have though; the other ones (Jack Links and so forth) should be reserved for silver members though: I'm already paying my Xbox Live Gold fees, that should be enough to not see the message from various sponsors. I'm a sponsor too, and my message to Microsoft is to get those kinds of ads off my dashboard.

punker
06-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Paying for the service is irrelevant. Go pay for a magazine and tell me how many ads are in there. Buy a ticket to a baseball game and see how many ads are plastered all around the stadium.

Ad space generates an obscene amout of revenue that the subscriptions don't even scratch the surface of. If people don't want ads, I'm sure Microsoft would be more than happy to up the price of Xbox Live to about $10,000 a year and get rid of them.

Motorexskygtr32
06-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Is there a way to change Spotlight to My Xbox when you sign in XBL? Because I can't find any options to change that setting. In Pre-NXE, you can but this NXE, not sure.

gum_on_shoe
06-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Paying for the service is irrelevant. Go pay for a magazine and tell me how many ads are in there. Buy a ticket to a baseball game and see how many ads are plastered all around the stadium.

The thing is though there are many services that offer the user content without ads as long as they pay for it. Many magazines/news offer their subscribers options to view the content digitally with no ads. For example my local newspaper the Dallas Morning News has all the content from the daily paper ad free online for online subscribers. Don't like ads in radio? Purchase satellite radio or buy a premium membership to an internet radio service like last.fm or pandora and never hear ads in your music again. For TV just buy HBO or Starz no more 3rd party ads like Coke or Adidas.

Ads are necessary to offset the cost to the consumers of a service, but with a service that we pay 60USD a year for and host our games with our own internet what is Microsoft actually offsetting here.

Worhammer
06-25-2011, 04:39 AM
The thing is though there are many services that offer the user content without ads as long as they pay for it. Many magazines/news offer their subscribers options to view the content digitally with no ads. For example my local newspaper the Dallas Morning News has all the content from the daily paper ad free online for online subscribers. Don't like ads in radio? Purchase satellite radio or buy a premium membership to an internet radio service like last.fm or pandora and never hear ads in your music again. For TV just buy HBO or Starz no more 3rd party ads like Coke or Adidas.

Ads are necessary to offset the cost to the consumers of a service, but with a service that we pay 60USD a year for and host our games with our own internet what is Microsoft actually offsetting here.
Hate to break it to ya bro, but I've had XM Radio since 2003 and they have ads.

Now, granted, their ads are for things going on in the XM world, but they are still technically ads none the less.

No different than seeing an ad for Mass Effect 3 or CoD's new DLC on my xbox, tho. Neither one bothers me.

StillTIPPIN187
06-25-2011, 12:26 PM
That little box in the top right corner of my screen telling me to buy the LA Noire Rockstar pass so I can play Nicholson Electroplaying that's out now or telling me that there's a sale on Sonic titles disagrees with you.

I made it clear in my message afterwards that i do not mind game advertisements or MS related advertisements..

Im talking about deodorant and mountain dew and hot pockets ect..

and its still VERY FUNNY that MS charges for online and shows these advertisements while Sony is free and doesn't clutter their dash with that mess.

ScottCorno1987
06-25-2011, 05:51 PM
who spends time on the dash?

the moment my console is on, I load a game and don't see any of these adverts

ninjachicken
06-25-2011, 07:23 PM
I have my xbox set to run the game as soon as it is on so i don't even see the dashboard.

Equious
06-25-2011, 07:40 PM
I personally spend a tonne of time on the dashboard, browsing achievements and what not. I feel that the inclusion of advertisements should be restricted to nonpaying members of xbox live. Seems redundant and opportunistic for a company to be trying to get more money out of cutomers who have already given their share. Though I'd be foolish to hold Microsoft to any other business model lol.

syweyn
06-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Im not that bothered with adverts tbh I hadnt really noticed them haha

d3tach3d
06-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Yea, I think its BS, we pay money for the service so we shouldn't get bombarded with ads. :mad: