PDA

View Full Version : Newb

IC3 L3G3ND
06-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Being a complete newbie to this series and literally being smashed by the first opponent i tried the white deck but im still curious what would be a good deck for someone learning the game?

jorax
06-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Of the first 2, the green deck is a bit weaker but easier to learn. Definitely do the tutorial and any challenges you come across in the campaign as they teach you some of the abilities. Good luck!

IC3 L3G3ND
06-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Of the first 2, the green deck is a bit weaker but easier to learn. Definitely do the tutorial and any challenges you come across in the campaign as they teach you some of the abilities. Good luck!

Thanks, i started with green and got owned, changed to white and raped my opponent

M1 Punk
06-17-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm a complete scrub as well when in comes to MTG (Not like YGO at all). But I did learn all the basics in 2 days, now to develop strategies and learning/remembering the in-game cards.

Glad I got the game though, just hope the developer supports the game unlike Konami -.-'

theNomad
06-18-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm a newb as well, but really enjoying it and wish I'd of tried it much earlier. I've managed to unlock the full decks for blue realm of illusion the red strength of stone and just 5 cards away from completing the black vamp deck.

I think it helps your play and understanding of the strategy's if don't just stick to one deck, just so you know what to expect when you are playing people with the other ones.

Shinobi273
06-18-2011, 01:32 AM
I think it helps your play and understanding of the strategy's if don't just stick to one deck, just so you know what to expect when you are playing people with the other ones.

Definitely, if you want to be good at this game, play all the decks with all the cards and play against the AI instead of concede boosting to unlock cards. When you know all the cards in the opponent's deck, their casting cost, power/toughness, abilities, and quantities, you stand a decent chance of being able to out-play your opponent.

You need to keep in mind that at least 50% of duels are absolute luck where you couldn't mulligan a decent hand or you get unlucky or lucky draws. Knowing the decks can help you increase the odds in your favor.

Shelton
06-18-2011, 02:26 AM
Definitely, if you want to be good at this game, play all the decks with all the cards and play against the AI instead of concede boosting to unlock cards. When you know all the cards in the opponent's deck, their casting cost, power/toughness, abilities, and quantities, you stand a decent chance of being able to out-play your opponent.
Agreed. As well as learning the cards, you need to know the effects of trample, lifelink, deathtouch etc. The 2012 version does a lot better job of explaining the intracacies of the game than the previous version did. I especially like the "tutorial" challenges.

Magic is about sacrifice too. Sometimes it's not worth blocking, you need to take the damage to keep your creatures in play. Especially important with decks such as Machinations, Realms of Illusion and Guardians of the Wood as their power is based on how many artifacts/illusions/elves are on the table. Also in regards to blocking, even if an attacking creature has 100/100 you can block it with a 1/1 and it will not get through. Unless it has trample. So sacrifice your weak creatures if there are powerful creatures coming at you.
You need to keep in mind that at least 50% of duels are absolute luck where you couldn't mulligan a decent hand or you get unlucky or lucky draws. Knowing the decks can help you increase the odds in your favor.
Indeed. OP, you may have switched from green to white and suddenly "owned" your opponent but that doesn't mean it is a better deck. There are vast amounts of luck involved in this game.

M1 Punk
06-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Ok so like I said before, I'm a newb in MTG.

I'm currently learning the Forest Deck and I unlocked all the 16 cards for it. Is there a way of getting more Forest Cards/Monsters?

Plus, how many cards are there in this game?

smokinpimp420
07-10-2011, 05:11 PM
also some advice for all the newbs on here play the first magic game that came out and all the dlc it was alot of fun and the achievements were just as easy as the one for 2012

shinobigarth
07-11-2011, 06:01 AM
i just learned how to play MTG, with this game (and some tutorial videos) 2 or 3 weeks ago, and now i have a very firm grasp on the game and am learning several advanced strategies.

just today i played 3 Gideon decks (lol) against Sorin Markov in Archenemy, got down to just me with around 12 life and him with around 40. got lucky on the scheme card draws, drew a Machete and one of the Kha soldiers that have lifelink and something else if equipped. kept hitting him, then drew another Machete and Kor Duelist, equipping both and finally managed to win with around 25 life. :) might not be that impressive but i was pleased with myself considering i have only been playing a couple weeks.

so once you understand the basics which is quite easy to learn, the biggest part is knowing when to attack and when to hold back, and remembering what all the creature abilities like lifelink (combat damage amount given to you as life), trample (unblocked damage dealt to player), etc do. most are easy to remember but some more odd ones i keep forgetting, like proliferate (add a counter of the same type to any number of creatures/players), or cascade which is very uncommon and just confusing. but you can press :rtbut:, :rbbut: to see descriptions.

I'm currently learning the Forest Deck and I unlocked all the 16 cards for it. Is there a way of getting more Forest Cards/Monsters?

Plus, how many cards are there in this game?
each deck only has 16 unlockable cards. unfortunately you cant make your own decks and put whatever cards together you want.

total number of cards in this game would be around maybe 400 different ones? thats nowhere close to the amount of actual MTG cards, there are about 10,000 total in the entirety since it was created.

PANIC ATTACK 10
07-11-2011, 10:35 PM
i'm new too i just use the white deck. not sure how deck building is done ie culdcept saga style.?

Natz
07-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Im a noob to this game yet I do ok in-game. I struggled with the last game aswell as this game. If you lose on the first opponent like me then you shoud look at customizing your deck

For beating koth all i did was remove most 1/1 monsters and add any ability cards that could of helped.

xCGIx PUNISHER
07-25-2011, 09:09 PM
In order to truly be good at this game you need to do a couple things.

1. Know your own deck (Its color, its theme, and its combos)
2. Play with and get to know the other decks
3. Always think 5 turns ahead
4. Get a good idea of what your opponent had in their hand based on the way they're playing IE how many cards are in their hand, how much mana they're using.

For instance, if you're playing against a blue deck and they constantly leave land untapped for your turn or if they constantly stop the timer whenever you cast a spell, that can give you a good idea that they're waiting to counterspell one of your better cards. A great thing to do here is establish what the best card in your hand is and either play something else that you think would be good enough to get him to burn his counterspell on it, or wait until you know he doesn't have enough untapped mana to counter your spells. It's plays like that that make good players.

Shinobi273
07-25-2011, 09:22 PM
In order to truly be good at this game you need to do a couple things.

1. Know your own deck (Its color, its theme, and its combos)
2. Play with and get to know the other decks
3. Always think 5 turns ahead
4. Get a good idea of what your opponent had in their hand based on the way they're playing IE how many cards are in their hand, how much mana they're using.

For instance, if you're playing against a blue deck and they constantly leave land untapped for your turn or if they constantly stop the timer whenever you cast a spell, that can give you a good idea that they're waiting to counterspell one of your better cards. A great thing to do here is establish what the best card in your hand is and either play something else that you think would be good enough to get him to burn his counterspell on it, or wait until you know he doesn't have enough untapped mana to counter your spells. It's plays like that that make good players.

If you are playing blue, you can do the same thing and fake out the other player. If I already have 6+ land out, chances are my hand is getting slim so I keep at least 1 card in my hand and 3 mana untapped. Just because I can't counter doesn't mean I want you to know that I can't. Tapping out with blue is a major decision and shouldn't be done lightly. Also, any blue player worth their salt would never fall for that. To get them to counter, you need to tap enough mana that you can't cast something else and the thing you're casting needs to alter the field so that it makes it likely they will lose. Playing blue, you should have a "hit list" of spells you must counter for all decks.

I don't know about 5 turns ahead, that is 10 draws between now and them and the game can really shift quickly.

xCGIx PUNISHER
07-27-2011, 02:34 AM
If you are playing blue, you can do the same thing and fake out the other player. If I already have 6+ land out, chances are my hand is getting slim so I keep at least 1 card in my hand and 3 mana untapped. Just because I can't counter doesn't mean I want you to know that I can't. Tapping out with blue is a major decision and shouldn't be done lightly. Also, any blue player worth their salt would never fall for that. To get them to counter, you need to tap enough mana that you can't cast something else and the thing you're casting needs to alter the field so that it makes it likely they will lose. Playing blue, you should have a "hit list" of spells you must counter for all decks.

I don't know about 5 turns ahead, that is 10 draws between now and them and the game can really shift quickly.

I was just using blue as a short example. If you want to get really in depth then yes, you could write for 15 minutes on what to do with every deck. And when I say 5 turns ahead, I mean just try to think about what the chance are that somebody will draw a certain card. Using the blue deck as an example again, if the guy using blue has already used 2 counterspells (not necessarily just the actual card "counterspell") than that can give you a good idea that there is a low probability that they will have another one.

Captain K
07-28-2011, 07:33 AM
A couple of tips:

When you unlock new cards, go to the Deck Manager and strip out some old ones until you're down to 60 cards. You want to get rid of cards that aren't as effective/are too hard to play so that you have a better chance of drawing your good cards.

Take out cards that do nothing but gain life for you (like those 2 mana artifacts that every deck has). The object of the game is to kill your opponent, not gain life. This is a hard lesson for newbies to learn, but an important one. And this rule applies to one-on-one matches, there is some use for life gain in four-player matches.

UndeadGamer
08-27-2011, 11:47 AM
total number of cards in this game would be around maybe 400 different ones? thats nowhere close to the amount of actual MTG cards, there are about 10,000 total in the entirety since it was created.

Actually when it comes down to it they go by core sets. Depending on the tourny or where you play is how they base what cards are used all done in Block sets. Also as for number of cards you were close 11,986 have been made as of july. Thats the only thing about this and the other MTG game was they only used one core set of cards not a multitude if im not mistaken the last game had the 2011 set in it i could be wrong though

shinobigarth
09-28-2011, 04:13 AM
Take out cards that do nothing but gain life for you (like those 2 mana artifacts that every deck has). The object of the game is to kill your opponent, not gain life. This is a hard lesson for newbies to learn, but an important one. And this rule applies to one-on-one matches, there is some use for life gain in four-player matches.
i always have them in for the Archenemy campaign but they have saved my bacon before 1v1 like when i use the Vamp deck and im against Sorin or Liliana, im getting life even when they cast a spell. at least once against her i would have lost if not for the Demon Horn. also they can be helpful in other decks with creatures that have metalcraft.

i used 2 or 3 Kraken Eyes when going up against Archenemy Jace and had Jace as both my teammates. maybe overkill but i had crazy life at the end after my teammates were dead. :biglaugh