PDA

View Full Version : Would this be legal?

JMNELSON
06-18-2011, 04:15 AM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=289608

2nd post. Could that get your G reset?

Worhammer
06-18-2011, 04:22 AM
Don't see why it would. You aren't modifying your gamerscore, unless I'm misunderstanding what exactly is going on there. No different than doing all of Fallout 3 PC in 15 minutes or less & people do that all the time.

mjc0961
06-18-2011, 04:22 AM
If you have to ask, it's probably better to not bother doing it. Besides, it sure fits within the spirit of why they reset GamerScore. You're getting achievements without actually playing the game by altering the game files, which does indeed sound quite a lot like Game Saving (which last I was aware was using an altered save file to unlock achievements without having to play the game).

JMNELSON
06-18-2011, 04:38 AM
Thanks guys, anyone else?

WogMatt26
06-18-2011, 04:41 AM
Nope, that should or may get your gamescore reset. Because you are modifiying things in order to pop achievements.

MaNiiAC
06-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Nope, that should or may get your gamescore reset. Because you are modifiying things in order to pop achievements.

Agreed with Matt, It's a chance but I wouldn't take it.

dakisbac
06-18-2011, 04:48 AM
For once I'm unsure about the answer, so I wouldn't do it. Technically you are modifying the game (cheating) but technically you're still "playing" the game for the achievement (not cheating). Regardless, I think it's a brilliant idea. I would not have thought of it.

TMEYER319
06-18-2011, 04:56 AM
no it wouldnt

The Pants Party
06-18-2011, 04:58 AM
Definitely not kosher. If you have to edit game files or manipulate the game or a network connection in any way, it is against TOS. Playing the game with built-in cheats, glitches or console commands is fine, but anything outside of what the developer put in the game is a no no.

yattajagaa
06-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Why would you take the sport out of gaming at all? Most of my games I paid a lot of money for because I wanted the LE or it just came - so I d*mn well better get my money's worth by PLAYING. I may be an achievement wh*re, but I'm no cheat.

Don't do it, it's not cool.

mjc0961
06-18-2011, 06:41 AM
For once I'm unsure about the answer, so I wouldn't do it. Technically you are modifying the game (cheating) but technically you're still "playing" the game for the achievement (not cheating). Regardless, I think it's a brilliant idea. I would not have thought of it.Still playing the game for the achievement? No, that's not what this is. The post being referenced talks about how you duplicate and rename a cutscene file so all you have to do to get credit for beating the game on a hard difficulty level is sit back and watch cutscenes instead of playing. Technically and literally, they are not playing the game at all if they do this.

JDMBO1
06-18-2011, 06:54 AM
are you kidding me this is the same as using game saves on the 360 to attain achievements.

dakisbac
06-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Still playing the game for the achievement? No, that's not what this is. The post being referenced talks about how you duplicate and rename a cutscene file so all you have to do to get credit for beating the game on a hard difficulty level is sit back and watch cutscenes instead of playing. Technically and literally, they are not playing the game at all if they do this.

I can read, thanks. By "playing the game" I meant you'll still be booting up the game, starting a new campaign, and going forward from there. Instead of gameplay in each level you'll be treated to a cutscene after which you'll advance to the next level. As opposed to gamesaving and hexing.

Ethiebeefy
06-18-2011, 07:05 AM
It Probs will seems cheating to get achievements to affect your GS

Adahn
06-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Wow, that's insanely amazing that even works! A large part of me loves the good old fashioned PCness of that simple tweek!

I don't think it would get your GS reset; in itself I don't think there is anything they could do to track it, or even want to - PC game modding/editing/whatever is as old as PC gaming, and as long as you aren't doing anything to affect a multiplayer element I'm sure you will be fine.

However, just like the Fallout 3 achievement thing, I don't think it would be *right* to do. I understand the difference between using a console command and renaming a file outside of the game, but you are still just doing it to unlock an achievement you haven't earned.

Think about being tracked, the only thing that springs to mind is that they could (if you hadn't played the game at all and were doing this logged into Live) see that you had got all the individual level achievements way too fast. Again though, sure they would never bother with that!

JMNELSON
06-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Any more replies? What is the verdict here?

OptimusPrime76
06-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Any more replies? What is the verdict here?

What?

I think you've had more than enough replies on this subject and the general feeling is that's is wrong and you shouldn't do it. Are to just bumping this thread because you don't like what your reading and your hoping that a few people come on here and say "hey man that's cool, I'd go for it".

I think it's wrong to have achievements on your gamer profile that you haven't legitimately earned in the manner they were intended. People only look for ways to improve their score quickly like this to enlarge their e penis and let everybody think they are a bad ass gamer. I bet if you do it your not planning to put in your bio for everyone to see "my halo 2 achievements were not earned by me playing the game properly so please don't think I am awesome at halo 2". No of course not you'll want everyone to think your actually good at the game.

JMNELSON
06-18-2011, 02:27 PM
What?

I think you've had more than enough replies on this subject and the general feeling is that's is wrong and you shouldn't do it. Are to just bumping this thread because you don't like what your reading and your hoping that a few people come on here and say "hey man that's cool, I'd go for it".

I think it's wrong to have achievements on your gamer profile that you haven't legitimately earned in the manner they were intended. People only look for ways to improve their score quickly like this to enlarge their e penis and let everybody think they are a bad ass gamer. I bet if you do it your not planning to put in your bio for everyone to see "my halo 2 achievements were not earned by me playing the game properly so please don't think I am awesome at halo 2". No of course not you'll want everyone to think your actually good at the game.Not whatsoever. This is no different then Fallout 3. I also made a post on the XBOX.com forums, and one of the "higher tier" members said http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/341/t/23696.aspx
that they think it is fine. I don't know still, I might want to contact the higher authorities.

OptimusPrime76
06-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Not whatsoever. This is no different then Fallout 3. I also made a post on the XBOX.com forums, and one of the "higher tier" members said http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/341/t/23696.aspx
that they think it is fine. I don't know still, I might want to contact the higher authorities.

Look, it's not fine at all. Even if bill gates himself personally promised your gamerscore would not be re set for doing it why would you want to?

Same for the saddo's who do the fallout 3 trick. Your inflating your gamerscore without ever having earned these achievements the way they were meant to be earned. I can see no other reason for wanting to do this other than to boost your overall gamerscore to show off and let peopke think your a better gamer than you actually are.

If I'm wrong then please do tell me why you want to do this..

JMNELSON
06-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Look, it's not fine at all. Even if bill gates himself personally promised your gamerscore would not be re set for doing it why would you want to?

Same fir the saddo's who do the fallout 3 trick. Your inflating your gamerscore without ever having earned these achievements the way they were meant to be earned. I can see no other reason for wanting to do this other than to boost your overall gamerscore to show off and let peopke think your a better gamer than you actually are.

If I'm wrong then please do tell me why you want to do this..I'm not sure if you can do this. They blocked the link...

French_Kid
06-18-2011, 02:56 PM
what game is this? the link doesn't seem to be working? Anyways...from what I read on this thread, it does sound alot like it comes close to gamesaving.

If you really wanna try it...setup a dummy account and do it. Wait x amount of time and if nothing happens maybe try it on yours...but just cuz it doesn't happen on one tag does not mean it won't happen on another tag.

What Im reading makes this sound a little fishy

CovertDog
06-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Sorry, I meant to close this when I deleted that thread you linked. People have been banned from this site for doing and if I had of known that thread was there I would deleted it sooner. You are manipulating the files of the game to unlock the achievements. I don't know if MS has reset anyone over it, but here its considered cheating.