PDA

View Full Version : Blue Avatar = cheater?

spyder2g
06-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I came across someone who has a blue avatar and a pretty high gs so I figured he was a scumbag cheater. When I checked out his played games list, much to my surprise, they were all time stamped and all seemed to be legit. I've always thought that a blue skinned avatar was a dead giveaway for a cheater - is there any way to have a legit blue you? :confused:

Elit3 m0nkey
06-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I came across someone who has a blue avatar and a pretty high gs so I figured he was a scumbag cheater. When I checked out his played games list, much to my surprise, they were all time stamped and all seemed to be legit. I've always thought that a blue skinned avatar was a dead giveaway for a cheater - is there any way to have a legit blue you? :confused:

You can only get your Avatar blue through modding. So he is still breaking the Code of Conduct /Terms of Use.

EDIT: What's his GT?

Adahn
06-19-2011, 04:01 PM
As far as I know, no. If his skin is all blue and alien-ish then it means he has used some kind of 3rd party method to mod his live profile.

May be cheated achievements somewhere you haven't spotted, or he could have just done the cosmetic look thing. Either way, its against ToS.

Stick a post in the investigation forum, let the pros handle it :)

Foxxy kyle
06-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Yeah if you're avatar is a different color then it should be then he modded.

Spanish Assault
06-19-2011, 04:17 PM
thats a automatic perma-ban. Report the guy.

dragonpwnr99
06-19-2011, 04:21 PM
I was looking through my friends the other day on the dashboard and one of em was in a party with someone with an all-green avatar. I didn't think anything of it so I don't know who the friend was or who the person himself was. pity.

Mittens2317
06-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Oh my God, why report the guy? Are you the kinda people who grassed on people in school for little things like eating sweets in class or having a Zoo magazine in their bag? How is someone having a blue avatar gonna affect any of you in the slightest? Leave the guy alone ffs.

Burnout x360a
06-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Oh my God, why report the guy? Are you the kinda people who grassed on people in school for little things like eating sweets in class or having a Zoo magazine in their bag? How is someone having a blue avatar gonna affect any of you in the slightest? Leave the guy alone ffs.

Answer: Modding is modding however little.

EmporerDragon
06-19-2011, 05:40 PM

I see you never read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.

mjc0961
06-19-2011, 05:56 PM

How is someone reporting someone having a blue avatar going to effect YOU in the slightest? Leave these guys alone ffs. ;)

Gamechamp
06-19-2011, 06:03 PM

While I don't agree with the whole "don't be a snitch!" mentality, I do agree that you should not report him if there is no proof that he has done anything other than possess a modded console. In fact, I believe that modding should not be a bannable offense, or in fact ANY offense at all. As long as someone doesn't pirate games or cheat on them with their modded console, why shouldn't they be able to have one? Banning modded consoles would be like Microsoft disallowing anybody with a custom Windows PC from connecting to the internet.

StillTIPPIN187
06-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Well, I dont know how you feel that him having a blue avatar makes him a cheater.

I certainly wouldn't call someone a "cheater" for that.

EmporerDragon
06-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Banning modded consoles would be like Microsoft disallowing anybody with a custom Windows PC from connecting to the internet.

No, it's more like a Lifeguard kicking people out of a swim park for blatantly ignoring the no running signs.

When you make a Live Account, you sign a contract agreeing to the Terms of Service. When you mod a console or profile, you violate that contract, and Microsoft will take action accordingly. It's as simple as that.

Mongolian Beef
06-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Blue avatar? That movie was pretty meh.

Gamechamp
06-19-2011, 06:58 PM
No, it's more like a Lifeguard kicking people out of a swim park for blatantly ignoring the no running signs.

When you make a Live Account, you sign a contract agreeing to the Terms of Service. When you mod a console or profile, you violate that contract, and Microsoft will take action accordingly. It's as simple as that.

Yes, that rule is in the contract, but that doesn't mean that the rule is fair. Xbox Live's rules should be there to PROTECT the users, not to persecute them. Rules against cheating are a direct protection. Rules against piracy are an indirect protection in trying to keep the industry stable. Does preventing a user full control over the console they buy protect more than it persecutes?

Would you think it right if you were denied service from a local gas station because they don't allow blue-skinned people?

EmporerDragon
06-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes, that rule is in the contract, but that doesn't mean that the rule is fair.

"Fair" or not, it's the rules. If you don't want to abide by them, don't make a live account. If you keep your account and console off of live, Microsoft doesn't care what you do with them.

Would you think it right if you were denied service from a local gas station because they don't allow blue-skinned people?
I have no idea how that analogy even relates to this discussion. That would be considered discrimination, not contract violation.

Gamechamp
06-19-2011, 07:32 PM
I have no idea how that analogy even relates to this discussion. That would be considered discrimination, not contract violation.

To allow a blue-skinned person to use that gas station would be contract violation. The disallowing of modded consoles is also discriminatory.

i NatrlKilla i
06-19-2011, 07:36 PM
To allow a blue-skinned person to use that gas station would be contract violation. The disallowing of modded consoles is also discriminatory.

How so? Do you sign a contract every time you go to fill up, agreeing that should you have blue skin, you wont be allowed access to the gas station?

Gamechamp
06-19-2011, 07:38 PM
How so? Do you sign a contract every time you go to fill up, agreeing that should you have blue skin, you wont be allowed access to the gas station?

Yes; it is a contract that is implied simply by the use of their services, provided they make proper notification through use of a "No Blueies" sign.

EmporerDragon
06-19-2011, 07:40 PM

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/401/futuramafrylookingsquin.jpg

Spanish Assault
06-19-2011, 07:45 PM
now your just being silly...

Are you honestly going to compare not being able to use a modded console to what some minority people go through for having a differnt skin color?

Your an idiot if you believe that.

Bottom line if they have the ability to alter the game in any way it should NOT be allow...thats like saying you should allow people to bring weapons on a plane as long as they promise not to cause any trouble....remember xbox's dont mod games...people mod games.

Gamechamp
06-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Are you honestly going to compare not being able to use a modded console to what some minority people go through for having a differnt skin color

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrimination

Definition 2:
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/the) group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

I'm not saying the experience is the same; I'm saying the method used is the same. Microsoft is locking out all consoles based solely on their inclusion in a certain category, regardless of any actions they perform.

GrimSovereignty
06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
He probably modded

MachineZed
06-19-2011, 09:16 PM
While I don't agree with the whole "don't be a snitch!" mentality, I do agree that you should not report him if there is no proof that he has done anything other than possess a modded console. In fact, I believe that modding should not be a bannable offense, or in fact ANY offense at all. As long as someone doesn't pirate games or cheat on them with their modded console, why shouldn't they be able to have one? Banning modded consoles would be like Microsoft disallowing anybody with a custom Windows PC from connecting to the internet.
What is to stop that person from cheating or pirating games? Absolutely nothing.

I have no faith in anyone on the internet that they just intended to change their avatar. The internet allows people to be anonymous, and modded consoles let those people cheat. Why would you not cheat if no one knew who you were, and the only repercussions would be you account can't connect to live.

There is no sense in waiting for those people to cheat in a multi-player game, when they have already cheated the system once already. Don't let those people ruin a game for others when you can take care of them before that happens.

Yes, that rule is in the contract, but that doesn't mean that the rule is fair. Xbox Live's rules should be there to PROTECT the users, not to persecute them. Rules against cheating are a direct protection. Rules against piracy are an indirect protection in trying to keep the industry stable. Does preventing a user full control over the console they buy protect more than it persecutes?

To which I would reply they are protecting the users, the millions of users that are following by the rules they agreed to when they signed up. They are protecting them from the cheaters that use a modded console to let them do what the games developers didn't want them to do. Even if its Microsoft who has deemed it not allowable to have a Blue/Green/Red Avatar.

bigbear2face
06-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Definition 2:
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/the) group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

I'm not saying the experience is the same; I'm saying the method used is the same. Microsoft is locking out all consoles based solely on their inclusion in a certain category, regardless of any actions they perform.

You say that "Microsoft is locking out all consoles based solely on their inclusion in a certain category regardless of any actions they perform."

This is a grossly inaccurate statement.

Modded consoles and gamertags are, in fact, banned as a direct result of "actions they perform." Consoles and tags and gamerscores are not born modded. They become modded by the actions of their owners. Not only do these actions violate an agreed upon Code of Conduct contract but in some cases actualy break laws. Depending on how you have modded a console you are potentially breaking laws meant to defend a company's proprietary products. A potential EULA violation.

You are incorrectly using a generic dictionary defination to defend a completely invalid point. Microsoft is not discriminating when they banned modded gamertags and consoles. They are punitively punishing people who have violated an agreed upon contract and/or have broken the law.

To compare this to discrimination is ridiculous and incredibly insensitive to real discrimination.

CyberPunch83
06-19-2011, 09:25 PM
If people really feel as though they have to mod their consoles and risk getting a permaban by MS, then let them. It's their loss, and for every console permanently offline'd, the entire reputation of Xbox users improves that little bit more.

Spanish Assault
06-19-2011, 09:29 PM

Definition 2:

Your trying to win an argument you can't. So now your trying to twist stuff to make it fit...now your just sad. Your stupid comment must be spread over the whole website for all to see.

You say that "Microsoft is locking out all consoles based solely on their inclusion in a certain category regardless of any actions they perform."

This is a grossly inaccurate statement.

Modded consoles and gamertags are, in fact, banned as a direct result of "actions they perform." Consoles and tags and gamerscores are not born modded. They become modded by the actions of their owners. Not only do these actions violate an agreed upon Code of Conduct contract but in some cases actualy break laws. Depending on how you have modded a console you are potentially breaking laws meant to defend a company's proprietary products. A potential EULA violation.

You are incorrectly using a generic dictionary defination to defend a completely invalid point. Microsoft is not discriminating when they banned modded gamertags and consoles. They are punitively punishing people who have violated an agreed upon contract and/or have broken the law.

To compare this to discrimination is ridiculous and incredibly insensitive to real discrimination.

Well put...saying a Modded Xbox is the same as being born an African American is just insulting.

The modded xbox was altered to manipulate it's normal function.

mjc0961
06-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Well put...saying a Modded Xbox is the same as being born an African American is just insulting.

The modded xbox was altered to manipulate it's normal function.

Discrimination applies to more than just black people, man. Anyone can be discriminated against for any reason.

There is of course a difference between discrimination and banning people who violate a Terms of Use or End User Licence Agreement. Discrimination would be banning all GamerTags that contain the letter Q because someone on Microsoft's moderator team doesn't like that letter. Banning people who break the rules is normal, expected behavior.

As for whether or not it should be against the rules at all, that's really not the issue here, is it? The point is that it is against the rules, and if you do it, you're going to get banned. If you want the rules changed or more skin color options added to the normal avatar editor so they can be used without modding your system, you should start some campaign to let Microsoft know you want that feature. Until then, it's still going to get you banned whether you like it or not. Remember:
http://www.raige.net/pictures/images/00286816.jpg

Spanish Assault
06-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Discrimination applies to more than just black people, man. Anyone can be discriminated against for any reason.

There is of course a difference between discrimination and banning people who violate a Terms of Use or End User Licence Agreement.
Did I say that? Why would you jump to that crazy conclusion? I could understand if I said "ONLY AFRICAN AMERICANS KNOW DISCRIMINATION" but I didn't.

I was giving an example....being Latino I understand it's not just "black people". My point was to show that a modded Xbox is not the same as any REAL discrimination.

mjc0961
06-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Did I say that? Why would you jump to that crazy conclusion? I could understand if I said "ONLY AFRICAN AMERICANS KNOW DISCRIMINATION" but I didn't.

I was giving an example....being Latino I understand it's not just "black people". My point was to show that a modded Xbox is not the same as any REAL discrimination.It didn't sound like an example. Everyone was saying discrimination and then you randomly just said African Americans. Sorry for misunderstanding your unclear post. :rolleyes:

Gamechamp
06-19-2011, 10:02 PM

I was giving an example....being Latino I understand it's not just "black people". My point was to show that a modded Xbox is not the same as any REAL discrimination.

It's not limited to skin color, race, or nationality, either. One can be discriminated based on income, veteran status, physical and mental handicaps, previous criminal offenses, membership in a union, political stance, clothing worn, etc. These are only the most common forms of discrimination.

CovertDog
06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Really? Really? I would never in a million years guessed this thread would go in this direction. Well I guess the site discriminates, because we don't allow blue, purple, orange, etc avatars here either.

I'm going to close this now before it gets any more loopy. Dam, I guess I infringe on peoples free speech rights to.