PDA

View Full Version : When do you look at a game's achievement list?

Gamechamp
06-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Interested in seeing what the responses will be like.

For me, unless it's a short/campaignless XBLA game or if it's a game I've played before previously (XBLA ports of older games), I try not to look at the list until after I've beaten the game... or, in some cases, 100%ed it. I used to make exceptions to check if a game had missable achievements beforehand, but that didn't work out well; I ended up having some unmissable achievements found in the process, and they often left out telling me of missables, anyways. (For example, the three achievements for each of the final choices in Fable II, which are probably the most important missable achievements to know about, seeing as they require you to replay the entire game twice if you're not in-the-know).

I like to do it this way for two reasons: first, I didn't like how achievements often influenced the way I played. If, for example, there was an achievement for getting a certain number of kills with a certain weapon, I'd often choose that weapon over ones I enjoyed more. Second, I just like surprises. When playing Portal 2, there was this poor lonely turret heading into a furnace. I couldn't just let the cute little thing die D:! So I picked it up and carried it off the conveyor belt... and then bam, Trophy Unlocked. It made me feel speshul. ^-^

CyberPunch83
06-19-2011, 09:39 PM
I tend to look at an achievement list as soon as it comes out if it's a game I'm almost certain I will get if I don't already have it pre-ordered. With everything else, I'll either look at it closer to the release date to help make a decision to get the game, or if I'm really unsure I'll wait for an achievement guide to follow up the list itself. Finally, if it's a game I know I won't bother with, I'll look at the achievement list once the review comes out and read them both at the same time.

jedijaxpavan
06-19-2011, 11:55 PM
I tend to look at an achievement list as soon as it comes out if it's a game I'm almost certain I will get if I don't already have it pre-ordered. With everything else, I'll either look at it closer to the release date to help make a decision to get the game, or if I'm really unsure I'll wait for an achievement guide to follow up the list itself. Finally, if it's a game I know I won't bother with, I'll look at the achievement list once the review comes out and read them both at the same time.

Basically the same.

Kairi
06-20-2011, 12:07 AM
I voted ASAP because I like looking at achievement lists before I get a game :)

Eludingkarma
06-20-2011, 12:13 AM
I always look at yhe lists first. Most of the time it gives you a good feel about how the game is going to be.

MutantDuckling
06-20-2011, 12:24 AM
i always look beforehand but i am thinking of stopping that now because i feel they influence my play style too much

MagicMurderBag7
06-20-2011, 12:55 AM
If its a game im anxiously awaiting i'll scan the list as soon as it comes out, but (and this is the most likely scenario) if its a game i just happened to have picked up cheaply then i play for a bit before looking because, more often then not, there will be things that i wont understand until i play for a bit.

Paulson
06-20-2011, 01:04 AM
As far as games that have been out for a while, the achievement list impacts what I buy. I typically look for something that I will enjoy and not hate getting the achievements in. I tend to avoid games that require hours of online boosting and tediously huge time sinks.

That being said, when there are new games that I want the achievement list doesnt impact my purchase. Before I start I take a look at the list and see what I can knock out in an easy first playthrough though

SwizzlesMum
06-20-2011, 01:28 AM
If its something im looking forward to, I tend to study the list leading up to the games release. Then I go through it again when im close to finishing it. Especially if its an open world RPG.

KillerBEA
06-20-2011, 02:17 AM
I voted meh. I stopped checking the front page daily for new additions but everytime I do see something added I will take a peak

BluWolve
06-20-2011, 02:37 AM
it all depends for me, so i voted other. sometimes i will study beforehand, and even go through with a walkthrough/guide, just to make sure i dont have to make any unnecessary playthroughs.

for other games i purposefully wont check them, just to get a bit more involved in the game without having to worry about things.

although i must say the second option didnt work so well when i decided not to check the cheevos for fable 3...... dont get me wrong, i enjoyed the story alot more than i would have had i been constantly checking cheevos and collectible guides, but i wish i had of known about the last part of the game.....

i stuffed up badly and that forced me to make a second playthrough. but i didnt mind too much, as i like to have a 'good' playthrough and a 'evil' playthrough for fable games.

MaNiiAC
06-20-2011, 02:38 AM
After buying the game, but before playing; have to go in ready

Vindicator51
06-20-2011, 03:00 AM

Pretty much this, i voted ASAP as well.

Pixo
06-20-2011, 03:00 AM
If its a game I like I'll usually look at it right when I know the list is out. I'll check it again in-game when I get it too.

Foxxy kyle
06-20-2011, 03:31 AM
Always look at them before I get a game.

Gamechamp
06-20-2011, 04:05 AM
it all depends for me, so i voted other. sometimes i will study beforehand, and even go through with a walkthrough/guide, just to make sure i dont have to make any unnecessary playthroughs.

for other games i purposefully wont check them, just to get a bit more involved in the game without having to worry about things.

although i must say the second option didnt work so well when i decided not to check the cheevos for fable 3...... dont get me wrong, i enjoyed the story alot more than i would have had i been constantly checking cheevos and collectible guides, but i wish i had of known about the last part of the game.....

i stuffed up badly and that forced me to make a second playthrough. but i didnt mind too much, as i like to have a 'good' playthrough and a 'evil' playthrough for fable games.

Jesus, yeah, the Fable III thing is cruel. One second you have over a hundred days left, then bam, you get the bad ending. I was lucky in that I'd happened to feel like putting my cash in "early," or at least what I thought was early. Turns out I'd actually put it in at the last possible moment.

Even if I risk having to replay a game, I think it's outweighed by the benefits of not knowing what's coming. Besides, replaying games is fun!

STRIDERLGN
06-20-2011, 04:12 AM
i check out if games have missable achievements before i even put the disc in
and check out a couple not read them all or any story tied achievements

Bistric
06-20-2011, 04:17 AM
I voted other, because it depends on a game.
- If it's a game that is very story-driven, in order to enjoy it 100% I don't even take a peek at the achieveemnt list until I finish it for the first time, then I check and return to mop up (L.A. Noire or Assassin's Creed for example).
- If it's a game that has a multiplayer component, I check to see if there are any MP achievements and what they are.
- If it's a game I picked up for cheap on e-bay, I check in advance to see if it has a reasonable list.
- If it's a sports game, I check in advance to see if they have discontinued achievements.

Ozbaab
06-20-2011, 06:24 AM
If I'm interested in the game, I usually check the list as soon as it appears on here

Hitchman
06-20-2011, 07:44 AM
After i purchase the game. i love to finish games, but i wont let a tough list keep me away from a good game.

Mister Spraggsy
06-20-2011, 07:50 AM
I used to go through the list a couple of times before i played a game. Then i got fed up with doing that because if i new there was an achievment for doing something i would completly change the way im playing to get the achievment.

Now i complete the single player then have a look at the achievments.

PIIILGRIIIM
06-20-2011, 07:52 AM
i like to look before i buy so i dont get a game with unobtainable achievements.
i hate those things....

MakoBallistic
06-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I voted other, because for me, it depends on the game. If its something like Kung Fu Panda, something i fully know is an easy 1k then yes I will look at the list when I boot it up for the first time. However if its something I am ridiculously amped to play, such as Skyrim, I will look as soon as they are up due to the ridiculous level of excitement building within me. And then theres the spontaneous bargain bin purchase, such as Splatterhouse (ugh) or WET (yay!) then i will only look once i've decided whether or not the game is good enough for me to give a crap about its acheivements.

KeepEmRolling
06-20-2011, 12:27 PM
I voted ASAP. I don't constantly check for new achievements being put up, but I like to check out what achievements are in a game I'm interested in buying.

DarkcoreG
06-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I need to wait to c if the game is any gd first and that i can get into it. Achievements i think are only worth going for if ur really into the gme otherwise its the typical level finishing achievements on a game that ur playing for the sake that u bought it. However in games i'm into i get half way through then check on the achievements, sometimes it to late to get the early ones but cause i like the game i will go back n try to get them.

HabsCen10ial
06-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I look ASAP for two reasons. First, I want to see how fun the achievements look. Second, I want to see if there's MP achievements that are going to make me pull my hair out. :drunk

Slickeezy
06-20-2011, 05:49 PM
depends how i feel like atm. most time i wont look at it till have i beat the game for the 1st time.

niko da bos
06-20-2011, 06:58 PM
i have tried to skim over the list when i first get the game, but i find it harder to even understand what they are asking. weather its story related (some character name or mission), or some collectable i have no idea about yet. it just flusters me to study a list of achievements when i cant understand the description. usually i will finish a playthru before checking out what i missed, also some achv tags have had spoilers when i looked before, which made me very mad..

lmao @ choice #5
"Never! I hate achievements! Get them out! RAHR! "

III Alec III
06-20-2011, 07:01 PM
I voted ASAP. I like to look for anything that is going to be hard or missable so when I play the game I dont miss it (usually)

ACE 120200
06-20-2011, 07:24 PM
the same as most of you, either before buying or before playing...lol

Illicit
06-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Usually I skim the achievements list while the game is installing, I normally don't hunt for them until after a play through though, either I remember to do the stuff or I don't. Sometimes during a level if I remember there was something associated with that level I might check to see what it was.

Opiate42
06-20-2011, 07:47 PM
the same as most of you, either before buying or before playing...lol

Yuppers. This pretty much, I'll get around to it eventually.

GrimSovereignty
06-20-2011, 07:52 PM
I just look at it whenever...usually it happens when I'm about to invite someone to a party or join a party and I just happen to go over and look at the achievements I still need to get.

theNomad
06-20-2011, 08:04 PM
I went with Not till reaching a certain point in the game; it must age before you pop the cork!

I genuinely play the game because I like it and not to unlock the achievements, that said I do try for most if they're not those roam around and find X amount of item ones (like you need 100 nuka colas in Fallout3 or 100 areas flags in Assassins Creed) those achievements are the reason I rarely get 1000g's and make me remember that Pogo the Monkey radio advertisement in GTA, when it says something like 'run pogo around and find diamonds for no reason whatsoever'.

Maka
06-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Other: When I consider buying the game.

Tussell
06-20-2011, 08:37 PM
'Meh, whenever I feel like it. Not terribly important.'

I'll do it at different times for different games. Sometimes I'll look it up on this site before I even get the game, sometimes I'll look at it right when I get it, and sometimes I just don't look at it. :p

chelseaman99
06-20-2011, 08:53 PM
I will look at the list before I go out and buy the game, unless it is a game I will always buy (FIFA mainly)

Mccloud x X
06-20-2011, 08:57 PM
When i start playing a new game, i check first always what Achievments i can get and how to. :)

esoterikos
06-20-2011, 09:07 PM
After I've been playing for a while, once I've decided I like the game.

TheMovieGeek
06-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Normally before playing or when I start to play the game and get interested in the achievements.

Baylor05
06-20-2011, 09:31 PM
If the title is not something I want to play regardless of achievements (e.g. Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War games) I'll glance at the achievement guide to get the easy ones out of the way. Otherwise, I make a lot of my buying decisions based on the guide. There are some games that I would play if 100% achievement completion were easier, and there are other titles I've bought because of the easy 100% completion. So, the guides definitely enter many buying decisions, and I often have them opened when I'm playing games.

Burning Karma
06-21-2011, 02:06 AM
After buying, but before playing. I hate missing missable achievements, especially if they are ones where you have to replay the entire game just to get them.

Seabass Coper
06-21-2011, 02:10 AM
I beat the game, and then I check the remainder of Achievements.

Arduous Wolf
06-21-2011, 02:29 AM
I voted other as it really does depend on the game. If its a game I know nothing about I will come on this site and check the achievements as it can give me more of an idea of what the game is like before I buy it. I never read reviews as reviewers don't seem to have the same tastes as me.

For games that aren't my normal type, but we have in the house I'll pop them in and look at the achievements to see if they are worth playing for some easy points.

For the types of game I normally play then I don't really care about the achievements. I will normally have a quick look at the list once the first achievement has popped and reminded me they are there.

XxBlueSpade2xX
06-21-2011, 02:44 AM
When it's posted on the x360a homepage. So, I guess ASAP.

ninjachicken
06-21-2011, 02:58 AM
I normally look some time after i buy or start playing the game and only look before then if i am not sure about getting to game to see if there is any online or gliched ones.

LBxRAIDER
06-21-2011, 03:24 AM
Usually pay attention to achievement list after I finish the game the first time. I usually try to get the achievements on my 2nd at the story.

willssmith22283
06-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Usually play for a while before checking!

AoG Chain
06-21-2011, 02:44 PM
i genrally look at the chivos whilst im on the main menu or if its a game ive been waiting for i don't bother untill i start moping them up

sleepydumbdude
06-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Depends on the game.
If I am going to rent something its before I rent it usually in the store on my phone.
If its a game that I have been looking forward to with a good story I'll wait until I beat it to not ruin anything.(batman arkham asylum, gears, halos)
If its some game i got for under 20 bucks I usually check the achievements to see what is missable and if difficulties stack.

Scotty
06-21-2011, 07:58 PM
i check before every single game i buy without fail. its mostly just to get an idea about the time ill be spending on it or how many points i can get for my effort. i have based a couple of purchases on achievements before but if i want the game any way i dont usually care about how many points i can get.

Melanopterus
06-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Sadly I pretty obsessively look right away now. I used to try to avoid looking at the achievement list until I had played a bit of a game and gotten a feel for it, and just naturally got a few achievements. Then I would go back look at the list, maybe look at a guide for achievements.

Now though it's like the second I know I can see what the achievements are I pull it up. I checked out the achievements for L.A. Noire on this site a few days before the game even came out. It just kind of seemed the higher my gamerscore got the higher I wanted it to keep getting... Since achievements have become more and more important to me the way I deal with them now has gotten worse.

It's kind of sad...

TemporalWizard
06-22-2011, 02:34 AM
I like to be prepared and don't like doing a lot of extra work for achievements, so I'll usually at least glance at the list before I play the game.

Creater521
06-22-2011, 04:52 AM
every time a get a new game i look at the achievements lists before i actually start the game lol.

purpleinsect
06-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Pretty much as soon as possible. I want to know if I should get it or if I will be too focused on the achievements. Which I will be if they are very hard.

hydrosugar
06-22-2011, 07:08 AM
i'm just waiting fr someone to pick this option: 'Never! I hate achievements! Get them out! RAHR!'. someone probably will eventually despite the sites name.

i'm not entirely sure what the difference between options 3 and 4 is, but i tend to wait till after a playthrough to get them. then decide if i wanna play the game again. plus you get heaps naturally anyways just playing through the story.

fatechan
06-22-2011, 03:15 PM
After buying the game, but before playing just to know

MORON2
06-22-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't let the achievement list concern which games I buy, because if its a good game I'll get it regardless. On my way through the game I hunt the achievements. But I normally like looking at the games list when it has 1000G or when I'm looking at a new achievement list which was submitted.

BackSpace07
06-22-2011, 03:23 PM
After buying the game, but before playing. This doesn't mean that it influences the way I play, I always do my very first play through a game to enjoy myself then I go back for achievements.

This does take longer and is less practical for achievement hunting, but it's much more fun.

Rab1d Rh1no
06-22-2011, 03:40 PM
I usually buy the game and do the beginning part first (like the first mission) then i check out the achievements, i do that because sometimes they can be confusing if you don't understand the game.

rja200
06-23-2011, 02:16 AM
I usually check the achievment page right before playing the game so i can an idea of what i gotta do to get them and it usually gives me other challenges to accomplish while playing the game besides the given story achievments.

SubG3nius
06-23-2011, 06:58 AM
I acutally look at them as soon as I know the list is up.

If there is a game I really want I see it as a perk, but if it's a game I'm not sure about yet I'll look at the achievements and they may help me choose.

crisdawne
06-24-2011, 04:47 AM
I tend to play the campaign through at least once before focusing on achievements

PyreBall
06-24-2011, 07:20 AM
As soon as I get the game so I can map things out for myself. I like to my achievement whoring to be organized.

vetteindreams
06-24-2011, 07:57 AM
ASAP - my curiosity gets the better of me every time

i even read every one of those GOW3 threads in the hope that some of them were genuine ;)

HadMatters13
06-24-2011, 08:15 AM
I always end up having a sneak peek a game's achievement list either just before starting it or shortly thereafter, not because I want to particularly focus on the achievements or anything, but just because my curiosity always gets the better of me. I would like to be able to play through games once before ever looking at the list, so that the achievements remain a surprise. I think I would enjoy the game more like that.

I won't look at any secret achievements until I've completed the game at least once though, but that goes without saying. :p

Aopthema
06-24-2011, 11:07 AM
ASAP if it's a game I'm really intrested in...

Krizalid1985
06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
i search the achievements list on the web before the game is out

dvdubb
06-24-2011, 01:34 PM
After buying, but before playing. I hate missing missable achievements, especially if they are ones where you have to replay the entire game just to get them.

Yup, good policy...I do the same...

monkeyboy2283
06-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I alway have alook before buying to check if there is any missable achievements and if ther is a GS foir play it on hard because i will just play it on normal otherwise.

Kunduz
06-24-2011, 09:35 PM
I put ASAP, since I usually have a quick look at the list pre-purchase. The difficulty of the achievements has never stopped me from picking up a game I might enjoy, I just like to know what I'm getting myself into.

ruby kavalier
06-25-2011, 03:42 AM
I personally don't see the point in looking before I've got the game in my hands, but I like to go in prepared in case there's something that's missable (like that one in Assassin's Creed where you had to finish all the conversations with Lucy.) If the game is mediocre, I don't want to have to replay the whole thing just to get an achievement or two I could've nabbed on the first try.

Jayshock89
06-25-2011, 07:41 AM
imparting great GI: Joe wisdom unto this discussion.

Eiserner Juppie
06-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I usually play the first 1 or 2 missions and then look at the achievements.
I like achievement hunting, but the fun is always on top of my list.

Penguino Rojo
06-25-2011, 02:35 PM
I voted after buying but before playing, but I don't think that's completely true. I don't look for the list as soon as it comes out, rather when I am ready to get the game, unless I already know I am getting it, then it will be after I buy/before I play so I can be aware of missable cheevos.

The big thing for me on lists is if I have to decide between 2 or more games, or if I am curious about an older game. If it doesn't outright demand my attention, then I look at the list. If the achievements are time sinks, require some god like gaming skills (like not dying on a level) or they have an excess amount of MM achievements I will pass.

Unfortunately I don't employ this when I really should, I end up with some stinkers, like Homefront. Good game, but way to heavy on the MM. Thankfully I was able to salvage some of it.

Another big reason I do this is so I know if there is something I need to keep in mind as I play, like Fable 3. Apparently I am an odd duck and like to invest as much as I can if there is an in game system for it, so I was already on the right path anyway. I was honestly surprised by how many people were not ready for the choices near the end of the game, I thought the investment in property was a given.

djdom
06-25-2011, 04:44 PM
For me, it all depends on whether I know I want the game. For the games I want to play anyway I tend to look at the list after I buy the game, then I just have a quick look to get an idea of what is expected, then once I've had a good play through I look more in depth.
For the games where I'm undecided about getting, I usually check out which achievements I think I could get to see if it would be worth while.

I am Mr Owl
06-25-2011, 04:49 PM
i never look at the acheivement page it ruins alot of the fun and mystery about them like the ones that say like you beat the big bad boss who was actualy your dad or somethin it just ruins it

syweyn
06-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Tbh I usually check the list out whilst deciding which game to buy because if the achievments are too tedious to reach 1k I sometimes reconsider

jrockviggy
06-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey I broke a tie.... After buying, before playing... Always...

DoomKvlt
06-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Immediately, just to check out what they're like. Achievements have no sway over whether I play a game or not.

DriftingBeast
06-25-2011, 11:20 PM
After buying the game, but before playing. If its a game i'm looking forward to, I will look at the achievement list right away.

Beastro138
06-26-2011, 07:10 PM
i usually like to look at the achievements after buying the game but before i play it.

Sephiroth300
06-26-2011, 07:28 PM
as soon as I have the game, I check the achievements to see whether they are easy or more difficult

Rainbow Donut
06-27-2011, 03:18 AM
I usually take a very quick glance before playing if I get a chance, just to get those ones that if you dont get the first time through you may need to replay the game all over again. Then again once I have finished to get any I missed.

Searchman52
06-27-2011, 05:15 AM
I like playing the game without forcing myself to focus on achievements during the storyline. That's why I wait awhile and just let them come naturally and focus on achievement hunting later on.

master_shake_350
06-27-2011, 07:08 AM
i always look beforehand but i am thinking of stopping that now because i feel they influence my play style too much

This. Having internet on a phone is awesome now, and also I do this to check if there are glitched/unobtainable ones.

FinSleepless
06-27-2011, 11:35 PM
If I have seen a game already or really want one, then I check the achievements after the purchase.
If I am in need (yes, need.. not want :P) of a game, then I first check the achievements on the interesting games.

TVthePunisher
06-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Hm...well as soon as I pop the game in, I load up the achievement list there and see what I'm looking at. Then, based on ones I can get right away (or think I could get anyways, I check them online. For ones that are tricky or might have some trick to it, I'll go to the forums to see if there's anything to try out or if I can find a booster.

More recently, before I start playing a game I'll look it over on here just to see how I can get them and how soon. Did it for DOOM II and now for Duke Nukem 3D (actually using the guide to get the secrets along the way).

tinytan1063
06-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I dont really focus on the Achievements side of a game much and if i do its mainly to try and not look useless lol...im defo.. not good at game play so my Achievements aint high never have been i just enjoy playing throu games and most importantly completeing them when i can, i recently played LIMBO and got stuck on a perticular bit towards the end of the game and it was so fustrateing re-trying over and over again i gave up in the end and moved onto another yet i do intend cracking it one day, i have come to realize a lot of people aim high and Achievements are very important to them yet for me its not top of my list.

French_Kid
06-28-2011, 12:46 PM
ASAP for me as well.

Mostly trying to figure out how many play throughs will be required

Dugstar1
06-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Usually first thing I do..

Too many times now were I have went through a game and missed stuff and had to go through it again..:p

ThatKidBanks
06-29-2011, 04:09 AM
I usually take a look at the list in-depth when I've completed the game's campaign and know my way around and am familiar with the actual environment. I feel that trying to get EVERY achievement first run takes the fun out of the campaign and takes away from replay value.

undephined
06-29-2011, 06:43 AM
If I ever see a friend playing it, and it's like the third day of release, and I might buy the game, I'll look at the achievements. Or if I just buy the game, upon startup I'll look at the list. I don't want to go through the whole game again just to get one stupid achievement when I could have got it the first time around.

bLaKgRaVy
06-29-2011, 02:37 PM
ASAP for me. The achievement list somewhat determines if I'm going to buy/rent the game. In the case of sports games (Madden, NCAA Football), they're an instant rent for me. I'm not spending $60 for an updated roster, yet I have 1000 in both franchises, so it would be terrible not to continue the tradition ;)

AtomicAgeZombie
06-29-2011, 06:04 PM
ASAP. I like to see how cleaver they can be with the name based on the goal.

Sampson
06-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Glad to see that no one hates achievements on an achievement hunting website :p

loganlogan80
06-29-2011, 09:42 PM
I normally only look at achievement lists for games I plan getting or ones that I want. I don't just look at any random list.

Divinefury21790
06-30-2011, 12:40 AM
I`m pretty obsessed with beating my mates scores so i have to check as soon as i get the game/one is released.

ghostxface
06-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Most of the time I check the list after I've bought the game, but before I play it. I'll pop it in, sit at the main menu, and quickly read through all the achievements.

If it's DLC, I usually check before I buy it.

Spade.
06-30-2011, 02:44 AM
Meh, whenever I feel like it. Not terribly important.

Varies. arcade games probably immediately. Ive only pre looked at L4D2 just bc there so fun and my friend rented it when i was coming over. usually ill play it then i will look.

KhaoticRebel
07-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Even though I'm not a hardcore achievement hunter, I still feel the need to know all of the achievements.

A HornyGreenMan
07-01-2011, 03:35 AM
i always look at the cheevos before hand ... thats what makes me decide whether to get the game or not

Sylon00
07-01-2011, 04:13 AM
I tend to look after starting the game up, to see if there is anything easy or quick that I can knock out first. Or if there are achievements requiring play thru on the highest difficulty.

flobbie1
07-01-2011, 05:26 AM
i usually play thru the story, then hammer out the annoying ones afterward

Tummy
07-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I usually look at it when I plan to acheivement more than normal playthrough.

D1gital X
07-01-2011, 12:42 PM
For me I like to wait till I play through the game before I start hunting. I don't want to worry about oh this is where I get one or watch a video and see the outcome of the story. I play video games to enjoy and get my money out of it.

MonkeySocks
07-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I try to play through a game first without caring to much about Achievement Points but then I'll always go back and try and get as many as I can.

Donkosaur
07-01-2011, 02:26 PM
After getting burned on Command & Conquer 3 (nice to have a 0GS achievement I can never get) I look before I fire up the game for the first time but after I buy it. Mostly to check for achievement that if you don't do it in a certain spot you have to replay the whole game.

SoulOfTira
07-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Depends on the title. For games I really look forward to I've started not looking at the achievement list for the 1st playthrough if it's a story game. This is for games I reckon I'll play more than once anyway like Dead Space 2 and Bulletstorm
If it's something like a Guitar Hero, or an arcade game I';ll look before I buy the game

DeadBot
07-02-2011, 01:20 AM
I generally don't look until I have played the game for a while, so that I don't look at any of the spoilers by accident. I did this once and I was just like ohhh shit!!

Storm Cobra
07-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I always look at the list when the game is bought and before I start, so I know if i have to be careful in some cases :)

Jraa7
07-02-2011, 11:35 AM
I check the secrets achievements and most Importantly the missable and glitchy achievements

SmoothedCookie
07-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I check it as soon as I put the game in a load it up, just a habit, used to be an achievement whore, but not so much anymore, only if it's a game I KNOW I can get 100% in, otherwise I do it for enjoyment.

EMP
07-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Usually depends on the achievement list if there are a lot of secret achievements or an achievement with a weird description I'll check out the list, if not I usually just play the game and beat it and then I look at the list to earn the last couple.

JustMyReactionz
07-03-2011, 01:06 AM
As soon as i know that i am getting the game or when i just get it.

StayonTarget
07-03-2011, 01:09 AM
None of the above? I usually find a game that looks fun. Look at the achievements. Then buy it and play. Hard ass achievements sometimes turn me away from games.

Kaisar Villhelm
09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
For me it definitely depends on the type of game. For most of the shooters/action games where I'm not terribly attached to the plot, I'll check them before playing to ensure that I don't miss any easy ones. Any games where I'm worried about spoilers, though, I'll wait until after I've finished the game at least once (or the case of Mass Effect, 3 times)-it can be a pain in the ass to get the achievements that way, but I'd rather spend more time getting achievements for a story-based game than ruining the plot (and imo the experience).

esoterikos
09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
I'd rather spend more time getting achievements for a story-based game than ruining the plot (and imo the experience).

Exactly. The more story a game has, the more spoilers the cheevo list will show. The really good story based games require more than one play through to get all of the story options anyway, so it works better for me to play through once, then read the achievement list.

In games with more action, less story I play the start, then I get curious and check out the cheevos during the game.

wright3034
09-20-2011, 02:26 PM

same here

/10characters

ginge88isfun
09-20-2011, 03:51 PM
I tend to look at the achievement list before I buy the game, and again for the same game just before I start playing it to brush up on whats available.

Obliteral
09-20-2011, 05:27 PM
If im say thinkin of gettin a game in a months time ill check a achieve list on here then when i get the game ill check again and see what i can get in my 1st play threw xD achievewhore meh

13ip0lar
09-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I voted for the first option, but then immediately read the second and thought shit. I fail at directions. Anyways, I am by no means a cheeb whore, but I always look at what the cheebs are and which ones look fun getting and if I think I can get the full 1k or want to. Currently I only have 2 retail games 100% and one that I nearly completed had it not been for Underdome DLC. That's right Borderlands. I could have done it, but thought w/e

Chaz5396
09-20-2011, 09:43 PM
If I see a game has released a list on a game im getting, Ill look otherwise I dont care really.

MediumMelanin
09-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Well, once this site has them up, I take a gander at the game's achievement list and then when I get the game, I look at them too when it's loading.

HinoteAkuma
09-21-2011, 10:13 AM
I look as soon as I know I'm going to play a game... which is usually after I already have the game.

TakahashiDemon
09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
asap because it gives me the idea of what achievements I could get and when, when playing for fun/story.

It's never a decision maker for me though, I won't turn down a game / not play on my main account because the achievement list is hard/long.

Amanda2
09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
After buying the game and before playing the game.

V3T Hunter
09-21-2011, 05:16 PM
I usually don't look at a game's achievements until I have the game in my 360.

TheCarpetDiver
09-21-2011, 07:32 PM
I generally look over the achievements when I pop the game into my xbox. If it is a game I'm pumped for, I probably won't look for a few days

Rep
09-21-2011, 07:44 PM
As soon as they get revealed on the site and when the game's loading.

Tatanko
09-22-2011, 04:19 AM
Depends on the game. If it's something I'm really excited about and planning to spend a lot of time playing, I will look as soon as I can before I even get it. If it's an arcade game I'm skeptical about, I will look beforehand and sometimes the achievements will sway my decision one way or another about buying it (as far as fun factor, not the easiness or points, I could care less). If it's a game I'm just renting to see how it is, I will look up anything that might be missable first and then just try and enjoy the game otherwise and worry about achievements second.

j schnitz
09-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Usually when a List comes out i'll look at it no matter what the game is.

BTW, like how one of answers were "Never! I hate achievements! Get them out! RAHR!"
After all this is a Achievement Site;)

SicklyPlague
09-22-2011, 05:14 AM
I voted asap, as soon as i know im going to get a game i look at the list of achievements to see what im getting into as far as time getting the majority of them.

Fridgeater
09-22-2011, 05:18 AM
I tend to check out the achievments once I've bought the game on the xbox dashboard after playing for a while then if I see one that seems interesting (or says secret) I'll look at the list on here. I only look at the guide once I've done a full or nearly full playthrough.

ShadowStar83
09-22-2011, 05:30 AM
I don't play games for their achievements. I play them 'cause I like 'em.

Keatoxic
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
I usually take a look at the achievements right before I buy the game. Then while I'm playing I'm constantly pausing the game and taking a look at the achievements.

CyberPunch83
09-22-2011, 01:45 PM
This will sound bad and I know that, but if it's a game I'm looking forward to or already have preordered then as soon as the achievement list is released, I'm all over it, planning the projected route to 1000. As of yet I haven't been turned off of a game by the achievement list, but you never know. Someone might come long with no grasp of what an achievement is and what it should and screw the proverbial pooch on achievements.

ConvexWings
09-22-2011, 02:38 PM
i always look at the list as soon as i know its out xD

Fridgeater
09-22-2011, 04:23 PM
This will sound bad and I know that, but if it's a game I'm looking forward to or already have preordered then as soon as the achievement list is released, I'm all over it, planning the projected route to 1000. As of yet I haven't been turned off of a game by the achievement list, but you never know. Someone might come long with no grasp of what an achievement is and what it should and screw the proverbial pooch on achievements.

I think thats been done, Peter Jacksons King Kong gives you 1000 just for completing it. I've not played it but a friend of mine did and apparently its awful.

dejmian69
09-23-2011, 02:44 AM
After buying the game. Need to know what i need to do for complete GS.

psychogambit
09-23-2011, 02:57 AM
If its a game I've been waiting for then as soon as it becomes available to check out

EWO79
09-25-2011, 10:25 PM
I look before I start my game to see if there are any difficulty level requirements and stuff that looks easy to miss.

Ethiebeefy
09-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Depends on the game if its fighting I won't look at it for days

stevieboi
09-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Interested in seeing what the responses will be like.

For me, unless it's a short/campaignless XBLA game or if it's a game I've played before previously (XBLA ports of older games), I try not to look at the list until after I've beaten the game... or, in some cases, 100%ed it. I used to make exceptions to check if a game had missable achievements beforehand, but that didn't work out well; I ended up having some unmissable achievements found in the process, and they often left out telling me of missables, anyways. (For example, the three achievements for each of the final choices in Fable II, which are probably the most important missable achievements to know about, seeing as they require you to replay the entire game twice if you're not in-the-know).

I like to do it this way for two reasons: first, I didn't like how achievements often influenced the way I played. If, for example, there was an achievement for getting a certain number of kills with a certain weapon, I'd often choose that weapon over ones I enjoyed more. Second, I just like surprises. When playing Portal 2, there was this poor lonely turret heading into a furnace. I couldn't just let the cute little thing die D:! So I picked it up and carried it off the conveyor belt... and then bam, Trophy Unlocked. It made me feel speshul. ^-^

I like to wait until the end of a game before I look to do any achievements this way I can get another couple of play-through of games. I also find some achievements can be spoilers to the story at times which really annoys me at times :(

cjdavies
09-26-2011, 08:37 AM
I voted Other because if it's game I consider buying I will look at the list first.

I have looked at Deux Ex and have now bought it, but for my first play through I'm going to play for fun like the old days when there were no achivements, as I find playing and looking at the achivements is no fun.

Winchun
09-26-2011, 08:41 AM
You have to at least skim through achievements before release. It always gives you a pretty good insight of sidequests and such before its even out on the shelves!

tiger 1
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
I pull a copy from this site and check them off by hand. :woop:

GePeTToSaNCHeZ
09-26-2011, 12:58 PM
I usually try out which ever part of the game I am anticipating the most. Then I will check out the list.

Epilogue of Euphoria
09-26-2011, 04:33 PM
I tend to take a quick look but don't really take them in until a guide pops up of some sort. That way I know what I'm getting into before hand and can plan accordingly.

8BitSoul
09-27-2011, 03:14 AM
Great thread! I usually play through my games once, before looking through the achievements. Unless it's a non-linear or non-story based game (Like Fallout or Dead Island, they do have stories, but not in the linear sence), or if it's a game I have played before (like RE4HD). I usually just want to enjoy the game during my first playthrough, so I don't bother looking at the chieves until i finish them;)

Lord Yamikage
09-27-2011, 05:24 AM
Thank God nobody voted for "Never! I hate achievements! Get them out! RAHR!". Because if you hate the achievements, you are in the WRONG website!!

softerxsin495
09-27-2011, 06:33 AM
I generally will look at an achievement list after I buy the game and before I play it, just to check out what I'm looking at and what they are like. I don't like missing any of the missables, unless it's a game I love and had already planned on playing through more than once. The only problem with this is that sometimes I feel when I do this I enjoy the game less because I'm more focused on the achievements than on the game itself; not always, but sometimes. And I would prefer it to not be that way, but sometimes it is a pain in the ass to replay an extremely long game, or a tedious game, to just get one achievement because it was missable. I mean I love achievements, but they also aren't the most important thing in the world to me.

DavidNLD
09-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Most likely in advance of a game, not with any impulse buys though. :P

Tyronebiggums
09-27-2011, 04:29 PM
ASAP you gotta know...but I'm going to stop cause it kinda takes the fun outta it...I've become an achievement whore!!

StolenPaper18
09-27-2011, 04:35 PM
I usually take a quick peek at the list when I put the game in and it is starting up for the first time. Then I play for awhile and check the list again later after I've been playing for awhile.

It depends on the game too. Some games I want to play through first just to enjoy the story and the gameplay, so I don't even bother with achievements until later. But, if I'm not really enjoying the games story or the gameplay that much, then I'll start hunting for the achievements. That is something I enjoy doing so it makes the game better ;)

LubladeBR
09-27-2011, 04:55 PM
before playing the game for the first time, or while it loads :D

PurplePogoPunk
09-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I always check achievements before I play a game to decide what difficulty setting to play on and what collectibles to watch out for, I find it makes for an easier first playthrough

Carmoy
09-28-2011, 06:20 PM
I usually check them while im playing. I like to enjoy the game before I start hunting :p

mgorsi
09-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Asap, sometimes it helps me make my decision!!

xXImSoBalzyXx
09-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Immediatley, I see the list and read it all.

Iceskater101
09-29-2011, 02:41 AM
I voted after I get the game then before I play it I check the achievements.
I do want to see what the achievements are before I play the game so I know what to expect and then I play the game and I go back to the achievements to see if anyone posted hints on how to get them then I play the game again and yeah that's pretty much it.

DENAz666
09-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Yeah I check soon as I buy a game. Just so that I can get as much as I can out of the first playthrough. Like if I need to get a certain amount of kills with a certain weapon, then I'll know to focus on that so that I can unlock it :)

LIghtHaMmer5
09-29-2011, 03:34 PM
As long as its not a XBLA game then I like playing the game first and then if needed I will look at the achievements to see which ones I missed or if there was something special I need to do, but if it is an arcade game then I usualy look to see what I have to do so I can finish it sooner and get back to playing other games