PDA

View Full Version : Lack of demos

SwizzlesMum
06-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Does anyone else think there is a major lack of demos, considering the number of titles in development?

Furthermore, i think it is a pretty lame effort that we have had not a single demo released since the beginning of E3, aside from today when the demo for Duke Nukem Forever came out. Which is pointless since the game is already out.

Mighty Goliath89
06-21-2011, 11:38 PM
completeley agree with you waiting for a few demos as I have paid to much for crap games as of late.

Foxxy kyle
06-21-2011, 11:48 PM
completeley agree with you waiting for a few demos as I have paid to much for crap games as of late.

Thats why I always rent a game before I buy it ;)

SwizzlesMum
06-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Thats why I always rent a game before I buy it ;)

Im yet to find anywhere convenient to rent games since i moved house. Thank god for EBs return policy.

Foxxy kyle
06-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Im yet to find anywhere convenient to rent games since i moved house. Thank god for EBs return policy.

Well I use gamefly, but I know a lot of people dont think its worth it depending where you live

SwizzlesMum
06-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Well I use gamefly, but I know a lot of people dont think its worth it depending where you live

They prob wont deliver to AU :P But I may consider rentagame.com.au

Foxxy kyle
06-22-2011, 12:55 AM
They prob wont deliver to AU :P But I may consider rentagame.com.au

Oh yeah, sorry didnt see your location :p

i got squeezed
06-22-2011, 01:17 AM
I know, I wish there was other good demos out to try beside the lame ones. That Duke Nukem is garbage, should've stayed hidden and never brought up within the 12+ yrs of making.

Wildmn34
06-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Does anyone else think there is a major lack of demos, considering the number of titles in development?

Furthermore, i think it is a pretty lame effort that we have had not a single demo released since the beginning of E3, aside from today when the demo for Duke Nukem Forever came out. Which is pointless since the game is already out.

The new Dungeon Siege has a demo out right now. I would like to see more demos - but some games don't need demos either.

I think most demo's are a catch-22 for developers. Fans want them, but in order to do one you have to devote some resources to making it, getting it approved, getting it to MS, and then get it on the Marketplace. All of those resources could otherwise be used to further develop the game.

Dz06lt
06-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Here is the deal, see a demo of a good game hardly affects sales at all, however a demo of a bad game is completely disastrous to a games sales figures. Thats why so may medeocre/poor games dont get demos. Did you ever really wonder why Brink didnt have a demo??? Now you know

SwizzlesMum
06-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Here is the deal, see a demo of a good game hardly affects sales at all, however a demo of a bad game is completely disastrous to a games sales figures. Thats why so may medeocre/poor games dont get demos. Did you ever really wonder why Brink didnt have a demo??? Now you know

So they would prefer to release a crap game than make it better and release a demo? Your saying they are aware their game is bad enough to not want a demo :P

As for DS3, i already have the game, so no need for the demo.

Dz06lt
06-22-2011, 01:50 AM
yes thats exactly it they if a dev is worried or knows a game is bad they likley wont release a demo. And no crap games generally dont get better?? Not sure how that could happen....

TheRedComet
06-22-2011, 03:02 AM
I've noticed a lack of new demos as well. I keep seeing demos for shitty Kinect games instead of stuff I'm actually interested in.

CyberPunch83
06-22-2011, 03:16 AM
We need more demos. Nothing hypes a game and creates a buzz more then a good, old-fashioned demo. We all remember the days of game magazines with discs with the latest demos on them of a game that might be up to a year away. Now, the demo is released on or much after the game's release. That is counter-productive. A demo is supposed to be a teaser, not a demonstration of what you're missing by not shelling out 60$ for a new game.

Lord Yamikage
06-22-2011, 05:28 AM
yes thats exactly it they if a dev is worried or knows a game is bad they likley wont release a demo. And no crap games generally dont get better?? Not sure how that could happen....

If that is the deal, I would like to see more good game in demo. I don't buy lot of games - just some that I know or played from friends - and if these "good" game demo can convince me, I'll buy it the first thing in the morning (like I did with Batman Arkham Asylum).

Chaosx721
06-22-2011, 07:25 AM
I suggest watching Quick Looks on www.giantbomb.com (http://www.giantbomb.com) I know its not the same as a demo, but its a great way to check out a game and get some info on it before you go out and buy it.

Motorexskygtr32
06-22-2011, 11:07 AM

I'm sorry but correct me if I'm mistaken here. Didn't Brink have a demo a few weeks after the game released?

Ragnarok62
06-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Hmm, although the lack of demos I always think sometimes the demos don't always give off the right idea of the game anyway.

Some demos are absolutely abysmal compared to the game itself whilist other demos are fantastic whilist the game is not. I always end up watching game reviews first before buying to see if it's the type of game I'd like. I know games that have scored very poorly but when they compared it to a game I actually enjoyed even though it had a low score I got it.

CraziedZombies
06-22-2011, 07:55 PM
I haven't really since much demos before the Duke Nukem one the last time i remember before that was released as a demo was the mutliplayer only Homefront demo

Bleeding Star
06-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Totally agree, there never seems to be any new demo's out lately, latest ones are Duke and Dungeon Siege 3

Duke I got early before the game was out (like all demo's should be)

and Dungeon I got off the USA Marketplace (again before it was out)

I have to agree with the idea that is no demo generally = shitty game

Dz06lt
06-23-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm sorry but correct me if I'm mistaken here. Didn't Brink have a demo a few weeks after the game released?

Nope and there still is no demo as far as i am aware

Lord Montymort
06-23-2011, 02:36 AM
People say that demos take away time and resources that could be directed towards the full game, but didn't we just recently have a show that was almost completely dedicated to showing off demos of games?

Why can't the demos made for E3, that would take no more time or effort on the developers part, be uploaded to the XBox Live Marketplace? Surely if those demos are deemed good enough to take a spot at E3 and be played there by the Press and Public who are lucky enough to go, why not extend that to those who couldn't attend by giving them a chance to try out those same demo in the weeks after E3?

Dz06lt
06-24-2011, 12:38 AM
People say that demos take away time and resources that could be directed towards the full game, but didn't we just recently have a show that was almost completely dedicated to showing off demos of games?

Why can't the demos made for E3, that would take no more time or effort on the developers part, be uploaded to the XBox Live Marketplace? Surely if those demos are deemed good enough to take a spot at E3 and be played there by the Press and Public who are lucky enough to go, why not extend that to those who couldn't attend by giving them a chance to try out those same demo in the weeks after E3?

Most of those are not fit for the public meaning they arent ready or are early mock ups

GrimSovereignty
06-24-2011, 01:38 AM
It doesn't really bother me because i am not to crazy about demos, like I will play them but overall I just don't really bother with them.

DarkReign2021
06-24-2011, 02:41 AM

E3 demos are more often than not just playable movies. The guy playing it has been given a script and he's expected to adhere to it while showing off how a couple new features work. For instance, the Halo 2 New Mombasa demo back in 2003. That level was never actually playable. The guy was able to control the camera and was able to shoot the bad guys, but he had no health, no ammo, and all of the scripted events in the game would've failed miserably if he hadn't followed the script exactly.

OptimusPrime76
06-24-2011, 07:28 AM
This is bugging me a lot lately as well.

Its not just a simple case of all the crap games dint get demos as homefront and duke nukem both have demos out. Even good games like halo reach and black ops took months for demos to be released, long after the games were released.

Sad fact is a lot of developers simply don't want to make a demo these days. Either the game is too crap so they are scared of putting people off buying or they think the game will sell anyway so why bother with a demo.

LFC legend
06-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Doesnt bother me too much, Id like to see more demos, but I rather they come out with FREE dlc for games. The dlc doesnt need achievements, just add gun packs, mission packs, Idk something small thatll keep people playing.

loganlogan80
06-29-2011, 10:02 PM
A lot of the demos are good but the problem is that there aren't very many of them. More games need to start putting out demos because it would benefit them and us.