PDA

View Full Version : Gunnars for gaming

Vindicator51
06-22-2011, 03:11 PM
I was just looking around at the site, and i was wondering if anyone uses any of these? If so, does it actually improve visuals and make long gaming sessions less stressful for the eyes?

http://www.gunnars.com/shop/cart.php

Damage
06-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Not used them, but I am sure they are just tinted lenses like some people get for watching TV. They just put a slight yellow tint on things so you don't strain your eyes especially when the screen is bright. They allow you to maintain the contrast and sharpness without the glare of the screen.

My TV has a Movie setting that adds a yellow tint to the screen for watching TV in the dark (like a cinema).

ZundayXx
06-22-2011, 05:24 PM
OR you could take the easy route and lower the brightness on either the game or your T.V.

Wii187
06-22-2011, 07:07 PM
I've got a pair of Gunnars, but I only use them for multiplayer FPSs when I know I'll be playing for long hours. They seem to work (reduce eye fatigue), but it could be just a placebo cause I also notice when I wear them I tend to take more breaks and to, you know, blink once and awhile. They're like an in your face reminder to rest your eyes.

Worhammer
06-23-2011, 05:06 AM
I've got a pair of Gunnars, but I only use them for multiplayer FPSs when I know I'll be playing for long hours. They seem to work (reduce eye fatigue), but it could be just a placebo cause I also notice when I wear them I tend to take more breaks and to, you know, blink once and awhile. They're like an in your face reminder to rest your eyes.
SUGAR PILLS!!!!!!

haha. I've never heard of these before and honestly....I can't see myself wasting my money on them.

I waste enough of my money on collector's editions as it is.

Spanish Assault
06-23-2011, 05:50 AM
gunnars...for the ultimate nerd...

cHRiSCOe
06-23-2011, 06:05 AM
You could easily be called a homo if you owned a pair :)

Genesis x360a
06-23-2011, 06:21 AM

Unless you actually tell somebody there for gaming nobody would know because there actually very sytlish and modern. Plus im pretty sure only people who are total arses would call somebody a gay for owning a pair of shades.

Anywho....

I dont own a pair (Mainly because I dont justify the spend) but Ive tryed them and there pretty good. They definitly do what they say on tin (If you will) My friend has a pair because he cant game for more than an hour without getting eye strain or a headache but with gunnars he can game for hours more.

Kraderic
06-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Unless you actually tell somebody there for gaming nobody would know because there actually very sytlish and modern. Plus im pretty sure only people who are total arses would call somebody a gay for owning a pair of shades.

He has a track record of calling people gay for silly, asinine reasons. I'd link to where he called someone a homo because they played Halo games, but it seems he went and deleted all his homo-enraged messages. Lol tool.

I dont own a pair (Mainly because I dont justify the spend) but Ive tryed them and there pretty good. They definitly do what they say on tin (If you will) My friend has a pair because he cant game for more than an hour without getting eye strain or a headache but with gunnars he can game for hours more.

Also, I believe gunnar glasses initially started out as shades that computer techies wore, so they could work on the computer for longer periods of time without causing damage or soreness to their eyes. They've only expanded to console gaming recently, I think.

CyberPunch83
06-23-2011, 12:41 PM
They seem like a good idea, but from the standpoint of someone who already wears prescription glasses, they could get in the way at times. If they made a clip-on variant, that would not go unappreciated by a lot of people.

Genesis x360a
06-23-2011, 01:03 PM
He has a track record of calling people gay for silly, asinine reasons. I'd link to where he called someone a homo because they played Halo games, but it seems he went and deleted all his homo-enraged messages. Lol tool.

Haha yes ive seen some of his of posts around the forum, hes doesn't come across as a very pleasent indiviual.

Also, I believe gunnar glasses initially started out as shades that computer techies wore, so they could work on the computer for longer periods of time without causing damage or soreness to their eyes. They've only expanded to console gaming recently, I think.

Correct. They where designed at first for computer techies Etc but then I think it was MLG that aproached (Not 100%) them to make a gaming pair for there long tournaments. So then they designed a separate Lens/Filter for there gaming shades. Personally I think there pretty kool but there expensive if you dont really need them.

Worhammer
06-23-2011, 03:07 PM

You know in High School we had a joke. There was this one kid who would call anyone / everything gay. We said it was because he was really a closet homo and he didn't want anyone to know, and he hated himself for it.

This may be that kid (or a similar case....)

Spanish Assault
06-23-2011, 03:57 PM
You know in High School we had a joke. There was this one kid who would call anyone / everything gay. We said it was because he was really a closet homo and he didn't want anyone to know, and he hated himself for it.

I had a friend growing up that used to always pretend he was gay...we thought it was funny and made fun of him for acting that way...he even played the piano at my wedding...turns out he really was gay. I feel bad that we teased him for pretending....had I know he was really gay I most likely wouldn't have.

SO maybe this guy's inner gay is trying to come out.

Vindicator51
06-23-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm probably not going to get any after all, thanks to the replies in the thread. I don't really have a problem with long gaming sessions, but i was interested when i first saw them.

They do look stylish and i wouldn't expect it to be for gaming if i saw someone wearing them.

Opiate42
06-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Very true. First to point the finger is usually the guilty one....deflection is the first line of defense.

On topic, I get eye strain. I've got terrible eyesight as it is and I'm sure my weekend marathon sessions don't help any but I just turned the brightness down on the TV, worked like a charm. Now earplugs for my brothers 7.1 house and bone rattling stereo...I've still got to look into that.

VladimirK
06-23-2011, 11:44 PM
I would most likely pick up a pair if they weren't so expensive for what they are.
Might work, might not, never tried them but it's just another gadget to screw about with.

If any of you fancy this sort of thing for your PC monitor but without the glasses, look up a program called F.lux.
I thought it sounded silly at first and that it would really put me off but I've been using it for ages now and it is actually really good for night time. Heh, use it for a while then accidentally disable it and the difference between it being active and not is immense even though you don't really notice it.

Dz06lt
06-24-2011, 12:54 AM

i wasnt going to post this until i saw your post here goes

http://www.gamingangels.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sessler.jpg

GrimSovereignty
06-24-2011, 01:37 AM
I think they are one of those things that don't really change things unless you have vision problems